Forums

Topic: NintendoLife Artists Thread

Posts 761 to 780 of 2,496

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras That's pretty neat! The seams look a bit too deep, though. Compared to the anime version, they look a bit too profound and/or wide, in my opinion. But otherwise, it's quite good.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX Yes in the anime they are just lines. After I make it whole I will play with the details a little bit. After all pokemons are not detailed and I want to put some details on the little animal.

I hope everything will come together after baking and painting.

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras I'm curious to see the final result!

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Zuljaras

I have made the base.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

However tomorrow I think I will redo his hands completely.
After that I will polish him with clay softener and repeat his lines (the scales).
And then the baking comes!

Zuljaras

I fixed the hands a little and made his eyes to be more accurate with the picture I am looking at.

Now I need to polish his scales and make a plaque with his name on the platform. Also to add stones to the platform. He is a ground type after all!

Untitled
Untitled

1UP_MARIO

@Zuljaras looks absolutely fantastic. Great talent there sir

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX @1UP_MARIO
Here he is after baking and this is the first coat of paint.

Untitled
Untitled

Unfortunately I do not have professional paint or brushes so I work with ordinary ones.

As for the lines (seams?) I have the idea of using a technique called washing. I will get dark or light brown colour and add water to it. Then I will paint all lines and quickly wipe all the excess paint with paper towel. That way I think (AND HOPE!) I will make the lines like he was in the dirt.

I hope everything comes together at the end.

1UP_MARIO

@Zuljaras looks great. Beautiful detail

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras It looks good, really coming together now. One tiny niggle: I would have had his eyes set into the head, instead of them being stuck on, but that's just me.

As for the painting/brushing: I don't know what kind of paint you use and/or what kinds of shops you have access to in your area, but a good suggestion is to use acrylic paint. Some people use oil-based paints, such as the ones that you'd paint model cars, planes and other builds with, but objects like these are better suited for acrylic paint, unless you have regular clay and want to glaze it. But then you'd also need a special oven, and I'm assuming you don't have one.

So, a good place to look for professional paints and brushes for this kind of purpose, would be a Games Workshop or Warhammer store. Or any store in your vicinity where they sell Warhammer or AD&D games and figurines. They have several sets of paint, most of which you can also mix, and another thing I would suggest to start using, is primer before you start applying the actual paint.

Shops like these also sell inks and special colored varnishes, such as a transparent black one, which is good for glazed washes, and the inks can be used for dry/matte washes. What you could do afterwards, is use a brush that you've cut the point off (to get a flat, wide brush), and then, with a very small amount of semi-dried paint, literally brush in quick, superficial strokes over the raised surfaces, to highlight them again.

I used the various sets of Citadel Paints for my AD&D and fantasy figurines. Most will probably now be packaged in updated/new boxes, so I'll just leave you with a couple of links to the current web pages, to give you an idea of what to look for:

Both sites also offer several online painting courses/guides which, although obviously Warhammer and AD&D related, might still come in handy, because the techniques can of course also be applied to other figurines and objects.

And if you want to dive right in and get complete paint sets, then here are some examples of what you should look for:

On the pages themselves, more options of other brands are offered as well, so depending on your needs, budget and interest, you can look at these as well.

And depending on the color of your figurine/model, you'll either want black or white primer:

Oh, and last but not least, to protect your models/figurines, you might also want to use some matte varnish:
https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-Matt-Model-Color-Varnish/dp/B0...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX Thanks. I use acrylic paints. There is no other way about it for polymer clay as it becomes waterproof after drying.

I made the eyes popped out of the head because of the picture I use as a guide.
https://www.pokemonpets.com/Sandshrew-Pokemon-Pokedex-27

I live in Bulgaria and I do not have access to nice paints. I want to use Falkart but they are US paints.

Damn you guys! You always have the good stuff!

At least we have a Super Sculpy supplier here in BG (again the best polymer clay is US!).

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Well, Amazon does also deliver in Bulgaria, and some of the other sites I linked to, will probably also have some affiliates in your vicinity. Just look for local shops where they sell any of these brands of paint. The brush sets I saw on these sites also look nice.

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX I will see if amazon.co.uk have the same stuff. I am scared to import from US because of the import fees. The customs here will hold my items and ask me to pay extra to receive them.
If I don't want this to happen I have to pay at least 40$ for delivery.

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras To be clear: the links were just examples, so you'd know what to look for, not as direct links for you to buy from. I suppose if you just search on your local or appropriate Amazon site, you'll also be able to find these same articles.

EDIT:
And as mentioned previously, you could of course also look for ACTUAL shops, somewhere in your own vicinity. There must be some kind of shopping mall or city center somewhere near you, unless you live in an isolated mountain village, of course...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX I did not explained it correctly.

I have access to art and craft shops as I live in the capital BUT they do not have US brands here.

And I just saw that amazon.co.uk have Folkart acrylic paints!
After New Year I will treat myself with couple of those bottles

EDIT:

Also this is my second sculpture from polymer clay and I really hope to get better at it

Edited on by Zuljaras

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Well, I'd say you're doing pretty good already. Also liked your previous one. Had a bit of mystery to it, which is what I like.

As for the brands: they are not really US brands. Citadel paint is also sold over here, and although I am an American, I live in the Netherlands, and have been living here for most of my life (40+ years now).

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Nice. What's the actual size of it? Might be an interesting idea to also post a picture further away, with a coin or something else of a standard format beside it, so we can get a better idea of it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic