Forums

Topic: NintendoLife Artists Thread

Posts 501 to 520 of 2,537

Spin

Untitled

Just some pixel art I'm working on. Trying to practice a bit more this year.

@Late: Love your pixel art. You got your lines down pretty good, love the colors too.

Spin

Nintendo Network ID: Spindash712 | Twitter:

Late

I haven't done much lately since I've had other things to do but here's some more black and white pixel art:
Untitled

@Spin: Thank you. Your art is really nice too. I tend to make mine 2-4x larger before uploading them because it's a bit hard to see the detail without opening the picture in another tab and zooming (makes it a bit fuzzy). My pixel art doesn't really have a lot of detail since they're either B&W or with simple coloring but it would look nice on yours though.

Edited on by Late

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

The_Ninja

@edhe: Yup. Sorry for the late reply?

The_Ninja

3DS Friend Code: 1891-2599-4796

Captain_Toad

Yikes, now I figured out the pictures limitations for PK Art academy.
So yeah I'm glad I picked this up.
Untitled
Untitled

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

DreamyViridi

I've always wanted to learn how to draw well but I never put time into trying it since I feel I just suck at it. The closest I've done to anything artistic is this Miiverse drawing I did recently. I'm happy with it, even though I know that someone else has done something a million times better...

Untitled
Untitled

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Rexcalibr

@The_Ninja:

Very cool picture. It looks much nicer after you got it colored.

@Late:

Awesome pictures. You are really talented.

Edited on by Rexcalibr

Rexcalibr

Maxz

@DreamyViridi: It's a really good start - you can clearly tell who it is and what emotions they're feeling (which are probably the two most important boxes to tick when drawing a person). A general method I follow when drawing is:

1) Get the general outline and shape down in some form. This can often take a lot of lines, but gives a clear indication of what the picture will become.

2) Try and replace the many lines that make up the outline a single, bolder, smooth line. Getting this looking smooth and natural can make a big difference (especially in a cartoon-style drawing) as it's so much easier for the eye to 'read' what an single, obvious line is trying to convey than a lot of lines overlaid on one another. If you look at the designs of a lot of anime characters, they're generally a lot simpler than actual humans, with pointy chins, slender jaw-lines, and very rounded craniums, and features can be sketched out with relatively few pen-strokes. The trouble is, it can be quite hard to get your hand to make the sort of lines you have in your head, especially when you're not confident or very experienced.

Obviously, the structure of the hard dictates that certain lines are easier to draw. For example, if you're holding a pen to paper and turn just your wrist, you'll get a curve that "contains" the hand that drew it, i.e. a concave curve from the perspective of the wrist. Being aware of what parts of your body are moving (i.e. fingers contracting, wrist turning, or possibly even whole arm moving) can give you a better feeling for what lines you'd naturally produce like that, and hopefully make drawing seem like less of a gamble; with you understanding your arm and pen movements, rather than being frustrated at them for feeling awkward and unreliable. I think it takes a lot of practice, thought, and repetition for everything to feel natural and familiar though, so don't give up. I reckon that "people deciding not to draw because they don't think they're good enough" is the main reason why people don't get good enough. It's kind of a fiddly thing, but there's plenty there to learn for anyone who's interested.

3) ...Anyway, after that digression, my third point was about shadow and shading. Obviously, the general idea is 'draw more where it's darker, less where it's lighter', but the kind of lines you draw to indicate 'darkness' will have quite a profound effect on the texture and feeling of the piece. You generally want the lines that you use for shading to say something about the surface that the shadow falls on, and using these shadow lines can be a really good way of describing the texture of various objects without needing to fill everything in. Shading is a way to 'sculpt' the picture, not only in terms of 'what's dark and what's light', but also in terms of defining the texture of various objects by varying the lines you use to fill the darkness in.

It's an awkward balance/interplay between the thing you're looking at, the thing you have in your mind (which is unlikely to be EXACTLY the same as the original image), and the thing you've actually drawn so far. How those three things come together will define the end result, but it's quite an incremental process.

You've got a really nice foundation so far, with some good, clear shapes. I think the next thing to try would be to simplify the lines to give a clearer image with a bit more 'pop' to it. It's slightly awkward working forwards with the pen and back with the rubber (or the opposite in your case), but it's a good skill to work on.

Anyway, this was my go at the same image: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAAEAAASVZKjS_qsCg

I think I was too scared to shade the face in much, but I'm very happy with how the hair's turned out. The mouth used the 'all black, but with white tongue' trick (to give some depth), and the nose was done by 'only drawing the 'peak' of the nose + one nostril', which I think is a very common way of drawing noses in anime (which you can see here, though you have to look hard to see the nostril). I actually think I've made her face seem a bit long, by drawing her eyes too high, but oh well. Sadly you can't edit Miiverse posts.

Sorry if that was way, way too long. I hope it's at least a little helpful!

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

DreamyViridi

@Maxz: Most helpful. I'm happy that my drawing was clear enough at least; I was just looking at one of my 3DS photos and took a stab at it.

I understand that learning to draw decently takes a lot of time and patience so if I really want to progress; it'll be a while before I get better. I think the biggest problem for me and my inexperience (other than thinking that I'm not good enough) is finding a place to start, I should just practice on pencil and paper at some point. Thanks for your time, I'll be sure to go back to your tips whenever I give the art thing another go.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Maxz

@DreamyViridi: I'd make loads of Miiverse stuff if I were you. It's always nice being able to share your work with other people, even if you wish you could improve it. And every time you DO improve, it's especially rewarding to be able to share whatever it is that you're proud of. I also think having just the black/white pen/rubber is a really simple and useable setup, and of the course, the 'undo' button is massively helpful for learning. You can try lines out, and see what effect they have, and then immediately reset them. But of course, if you want to try other (real) media, than that's great too.

Anyway, I originally came here to self-publicise something of my own, but got side-tracked. So, it's not a drawing, but I think it qualifies under the broader definition of art: I had a go at writing a Battle Theme for a non-specific Pokemon Bad Guy Team, and I think I've finished it. I'm quite proud of it, so please take a look.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

ogo79

i decided to utilize my new found talent and recreate the arcade classic rygar artwork into the beloved castlevania series
Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Akane

I don't call myself an artist but I do like to make some comics and draw a lot. I've also lately been doing some non-digital painting albeit not game-related.

I do have some game-related art I've made though. Here's some of the drawings I've made on Miiverse:
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

I've also toyed with Colors! 3D and made these two game-related paintings:
Untitled
Untitled

The Palutena painting was traced over a screenshot of an in-game AR idol but it did function as a study on realistic humanlike models and shadowing.

And finally, here's an old gif of everyone's favourite attorney doing Rickroll:
Untitled

Vendetta-Strada - A mafia game forum
Currently playing: Hyrule Warriors Legends, Pokémon Shuffle

Nintendo Network ID: NonEgo

ArabPikachu

I didn't know we had this thread until someone showed me a link to it, which is why I accidentally made another thread showing my artwork.

Here's a personally made model of Captain Commando (Capcom's original mascot), which I used Daz Studio for:
Untitled

Dankykong wrote:

Does he not wear underwear?

No.

Edited on by ArabPikachu

http://www.capcom-unity.com/amunity/go/shield/privateProfile

Nintendo Network ID: Fikachu

WiiWareWave

/               ヽ      \
.       /          . l      '.       ヽ
      /       /    i ト、    i .|       ',
     ′   i    /   ./! ! \   .l:...|        l
     |    l   ,'     / 斗─-丶 l:...l      l:  |
      }   l  i!ハ.   / ノ′    ヽjVj      |:. : |
     |   l   k'´} /     ィヤたかト ji     : |:...: |
     |   l ' i  .l /      弋 ぅツ l     .. ..::l:..:/j
     |   八 j fヤ゚心      、、、  ,′  ...: .../:/
     |    Vへ 乂ツ        /   ...::..,'/:/
     |    ...:/ハ 、、、 ,      /  ...:::/..:/
     Ⅵ   ..:/  }ハ     _ ノ ,'   //| i /
      }i  ..::/  |:::>、        } :/′ノヘ:::::\
       !j ..:/        >....、 イ}:/ー' ..斗:::::::::ヽ
       }/   r─ゥ=ヵ≦:::::::/ ヘ∧_x≦::::::::::::::::::::ヘ
       i′  /:::::::^ーr..':::::::::}ノ //:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>‐\
          j::::::j:::::::::}:::::::::::/V:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/::::\/::`ヽ
            }::::::>ー─、::/:;':::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/::::::::/:::::::::::::::::}
        r‐v'::::/ 二二 ):::/:::xへ⌒ヽ::::/:::::::::/:::::::::::::::::::::;|
        }::::::::::;|  ー─ 、〉/ー、\丶 ∨:::::::/:::

Erica Hartman: from Strike Witches!

@Megumi I summon you.

Edited on by WiiWareWave

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

Joeynator3000

Meh...goes back to sleep, lol
Also, summoning doesn't work when you edit it in. lol

Edited on by Joeynator3000

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Joeynator3000

...Having fun? lol

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Joeynator3000

...Anyways dunno why I checked in here, lol.
Kinda wished someone did take my request back then, though. TwT

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Late

Something different this time:

Untitled

I think it's called engraving art or something. Basically you scratch off the black part to reveal white. I couldn't find the actual tool that you're supposed to use so I used some tools I had for polymer clay. They're not as precise so I didn't do any texturing. I searched for some simple characters I thought would look good even without texturing.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the white part glows in the dark.

EDIT2: Well, that was a thing... Seems like the link to my image now links to another picture of someone's tattoo. I suppose image sharing sites reuse links but I just uploaded the image few days ago. I uploaded the image on a different site, maybe this link will last longer.

Edited on by Late

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Akane

@Late: Looks really good! What did you use to make them?

Vendetta-Strada - A mafia game forum
Currently playing: Hyrule Warriors Legends, Pokémon Shuffle

Nintendo Network ID: NonEgo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic