Forums

Topic: NintendoLife Artists Thread

Posts 341 to 360 of 2,536

SheldonRandoms

I drew something for once, yaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!
Untitled

Here's Ristar the doodlestar, this would be Ristar on some planet based on art..........dang, that would had been a good idea for a planet in the sequel (if there ever is one).

I made Sheldon & Mr. Randoms back on Flipnote Hatena, now i'm a kangaroo mod that has a funko pop collection!

I'm not keen politics since that stuff is spooky, I'd rather watch SpongeBob over Fox News anyways!

Fortnite Creator Code: SheldonRandoms

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

FOREST_RANGER

Karakato wrote:

I need some feedback and tips on this: I've always wanted to do an action heavy comic (not Manga) series. Right now I've got 5 pages of the preview sketched with only one page inked and "colored". I plan to upload them to the community once I've got all 5 finished but I want to know what needs improvement if the first page is a representation for this series.
Untitled

@Karakato
Uh. I know I'm way late for the game, but I have some suggestions and notes.

Here are some important things to note:

• It's a good idea to compose abstract scenes of what you envision. In other words, keep the scene simple in the planning sketchy stage so you can easily examine the emotion, pacing, and composition of a scene. As soon as you're done with that, maybe take a break and examine your comic a little later. That way, you'd be able to see stuff that could be more awesome or fleshed-out. Now I'm not saying you didn't do that, but I thought this was important to note. So I did a revised sketch of your original scenes that would be in the planning phase. Hopefully, you'll have an idea of what I mean.
  • Try anything you can to create a sense of motion in some way. In each panel, lead your readers through that panel. Maybe make visual cues that invokes a sense of direction and movement through each panel. Also try to create a sense of motion in the characters (more on that in a bit).
  • you can use the size of your panels to give a sense of the pacing and "epicness" of each bits of a scene. You could use bigger panels for intense or important moments, and smaller panels for other stuff like a 1 second event.
  • I keep mentioning pacing and action, also known as flow-of-action. So, I will mention it here. Having good pacing makes your comic varied and engages audiences. This video from Extra Credits might help explaining what it is.

Here are stuff that help too, though not too essential at this point in your journey:

• You can invoke a sense of motion in your characters by using (asterisk) gestures. In that case, all that matters is that you draw the essence of the motion of your characters. There isn't one official way to do this.
  • Using perspectives and camera dynamics can help enforce a sense of motion in your scenes

So here is that sample sketch I made for your benefit:
Untitled

• I thought panels 2 and 5 were important in your scene, so I made them bigger to emphasize them.
  • In panel 3, I tried giving a sense of perspective as though a camera was panning upward. In other words, I'm trying to give a visual cue and guide viewers upwards
  • In panels 4, I tried to make it like like smoke was moving towards the top-right corner in direction
  • In panel 5, I drew a quick gesture of the character to give a rough idea of how they should look
  • The comic was sketched with as little lines and details as possible to "look at the big picture"
  • It looks a bit manga-y, but I hope you understand

Hope these tips help. Don't let these things damper your enthusiasm. Do your best and good luck. Oh, and if you want to make more comics, you might be interested in CLIP STUDIO PAINT from Celsys. It helps with making comics, and they have limited-function trial that basically has everything save for saving files and printing.

I'll say more later.

NOTE: For making gesture drawings, I personally like the video from a video series called Proko. It does a nice job of explaining what it is. But bear in mind that it contains nudity for education purposes (save for the censoring). If you want to see it, look up "Proko how to draw gesture" on YouTube.

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

KarrotMan

@FOREST_RANGER I really appreciate all that effort you put into your suggestions, thank you it really is helpful. As I said, I plan to go back to this at some point but for now I am preoccupied with a good number of works. And when I do plan to go back to real comic art, I'll do my own thing, some light hearted adventure to get me adjusted in proper pacing and scene captures. Maybe a quest for a certain cake perhaps?

I also have to say that your comic page does look more effective in capturing the reader and again, I really appreciate the effort you put just to prove a point.

Also, Just subbed the tutorial series you mentioned at the end, it will certainly help me in my skills.

Edited on by KarrotMan

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page
[em][url=http://backloggery.com/kara...

KarrotMan

Double Post/bump
Okay, so I made a line art for a random OC which stumped me for a with numerous revisions. I only have Proko to thank for sparking my interest in continuing her. Currently, she's at the WIP stage since I just wanted to keep my page updated within the month but what do you guys think so far:
Untitled

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page

New_3DaSh_XL

I've been working on a certain form of art lately called Zentangle. It's pretty much doodling patterns, and it looks a lot more complicated than it really is.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

The bottom one's the most recent; I really like the way it turned out.

8 Bit Forward
My Bio, by True_Hero, and

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3165-4977 | Nintendo Network ID: NintenDash | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

@Mynameis-

I really like that last one. I remember I used to do that stuff before I even knew about it as a way to relieve stress before doing a big project. It's also good for getting in the right mindset for drawing and losens up your hand muscles...I should probably try that again.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

KarrotMan

@3Dash yeah, the third Zentangle looked mesmerizing the moment I checked your page. I never tried that kind of method before, I always messed with a large blob of Kneaded eraser as a warm up. Weird yes, but it gets me pumped up for a reason.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page

Lindemannade

If any Pokémon-loving artists are interested someone's currently set up a project to try and get a different artist to draw every single Pokémon (I've claimed Whiscash because look at that face ). All the info's in this Google Doc, and just a heads up you seem to need a Twitter profile to follow his rules (and you can also check #Twitterdex to see pictures people have already finished). So go nuts and draw some Pokémon

Turnip

Doodling to put off painting something that's actually worthwhile.
Untitled

Cringing is really fun.

KarrotMan

@RaReRux I'd love to be that great when doing Watercolor traditionally or digitally. Your work is just serene and I like how peaceful that nymph is.

Anyway, just finished an infograph on a certain case study I just crammed for, and I somehow managed to fit in a comic for some reason. I felt it could stand on its own so I uploaded it.
Untitled

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page

CanisWolfred

^That's surprisingly smart. I like it.

Also, I haven't had time to draw in weeks until yesterday...only to completely forget what I was trying to draw. I got a half-finished picture here, but I'm not even sure what it is. -_-;

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Turnip

@Karakato: Thanks, I'm not too great at watercolors myself, but they're really fun to use!

Cringing is really fun.

KarrotMan

Okay, decided to try out a new style after reigniting my interests in vector art. And since I'm a nut for Mega Man, I decided to do another robot master fan art:
Untitled
Larger Image

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page

New_3DaSh_XL

Finished this picture of my hand the other day. It turned out pretty well, but it looks kinda smudgy in areas, even though I didn't shade using my fingers.
Untitled

Also, I know Karakato saw this, but apparently I forgot to post it here. This was for my drawing class and uses six methods of drawing, so that's why it looks a bit odd. I used this as reference.
Untitled
Top Left: Hatching with colored pencil
Top Right: Graphite powder
Middle Left: Pointillism with markers
Middle Right: Hatching with pencil
Bottom Left: Cross-hatching with pencil
Bottom Right: Scribbling with pencil

8 Bit Forward
My Bio, by True_Hero, and

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3165-4977 | Nintendo Network ID: NintenDash | Twitter:

NinChocolate

The mask looks great! I'm wondering what it would look like if you put the white outline one over the third one here?

NinChocolate

KarrotMan

Who wants to be part of an art collab?

So there are two Art Collaborations I'm taking part in and am asking whom among you are interested in joining in and showing off their creative talents. So the first one I'm joining is the Dragon Ball Collab. Basically, you can pick among the choices of all the characters from the OG DB to the Buu saga of DBZ. There are still a lot of spots left so there are still good characters to choose from. I myself chose Burter. If you are interested in joining, check out the link for more details.

The second Collab, is the Mega Woman Gender Swap Collab For anyone interested, there are 9 slots left. Sure the one's left are obscure, but they are still interesting enough in their own right and can provide a good creative challenge. I already submitted my entry (two drawings to be exact) and I'll just post one of them here:
Untitled
LINK

Edited on by KarrotMan

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic