Forums

Topic: Nintendo Handhelds. Other Countries?

Posts 1 to 5 of 5

Crystalline

Hello Nintendo lovers! I did forget to properly introduce myself in the correct part of the forum, but i guess i can simply do it right here...sorta. Hehe.

Name's John, and i'm a passionate, friendly guy, that loves the big N to bits! How is everyone!

Now, onto the true purpose of this little thread here:

I have a few questions regarding region compatibility for some Nintendo handheld consoles. I'l seperate each question by numbers, in wich i'd love to get them answered as such, if possible, for less confusion <3 Thank You!

1- Will an American Nintendo DS Lite, DSi, GBA, GBC, or 3DS, be compatible with Japan's voltage? vive-versa also. I heard they have the same type of voltage, but i'm not quite sure.

2- Will American Nintendo games for the consoles mentioned above, work on a Japanese console, and vice-versa?

3- Will European Nintendo consoles ( the ones mentioned ) Work properly in America and Japan? I know we have a slightly different voltage, but i also heard that we can simply get an AC adapter of some sort. Will that still work, without any decrease in gaming performance?

4- Will European Nintendo Games work on American and Japanese Consoles?

Thank you!

Crystalline

Aviator

Welcome to NL.

To the voltage questions, I'm not sure, if you get an adapter it should be fine though.

For gaming shizz, everything except DSi and 3DS games will work cross region - they're not region locked.

All DS games will work on the DSi/3DS, but any games made for DSi will be region locked, same with 3DS.

That works the same with PAL regions.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Cipher

As far as voltage is concerned, I'm afraid I can't help you, but as for regional compatbility this should help:

• Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS - games from any region play on systems (including playing DS games on dSi/3DS) from any region.
  • Nintendo DSi specific titles, all Nintendo home consoles - European (PAL) games play on European (PAL) consoles only, North American and Japanese (NTSC) games play on North American and Japanese (NTSC) consoles only.
  • Nintendo 3DS - European games on European systems only, North American games on North American systems only, Japanese games on Japanese systems only.

Hope that helps!

TOO SLOW D=

Edited on by Cipher

Crystalline

Cipher wrote:

As far as voltage is concerned, I'm afraid I can't help you, but as for regional compatbility this should help:

• Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS - games from any region play on systems from any region.
  • Nintendo DSi specific titles, all Nintendo home consoles - European (PAL) games play on European (PAL) consoles only, North American and Japanese (NTSC) games play on North American and Japanese (NTSC) consoles only.
  • Nintendo 3DS - European games on European systems only, North American games on North American systems only, Japanese games on Japanese systems only.

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for your reply. This was the information i was looking for. Cheers!

Crystalline

theblackdragon

(1) American electronics are generally compatible with Japan's voltage. Some things may be a little wonky, e.g. clocks running slower and radios not picking up stations, but your game consoles will be okay.

(2) the GBC, GBA, DS, and DS Lite are not region-locked. Any NA GBC, GBA, or DS games will work on a Japanese or European console, and vice versa. However, DSi and 3DS games are region-locked. While both the DSi and 3DS will play any region DS games, as for DSi and 3DS retail titles and DSi/3DSWare you'll have to purchase within the same region as the console.

(3) you can buy travel converters for voltage in most electronics stores here in the US; i'd imagine you can find them even easier in Europe. :3 You'll be fine with a converter.

(4) Nintendo's home consoles (the NES, SNES, GameCube, and Wii) have always been region-locked; you will need to buy same-region titles for them. As I explained above, from the Game Boy to the DS Lite, all of the handheld consoles have not been region-locked, but the DSi and 3DS are.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.