Forums

Topic: Nintendo and Maturity

Posts 21 to 30 of 30

AlexSays

The honey mustard story really spoke to me

I'm still not buying that people buy video games to feel superior, or that children buying games to feel mature makes up any decent amount of video game sales.

But you somehow managed to relate the story to fried chicken and honey mustard, and I can respect that.

AlexSays

pntjr

Nintendo completely abandoned their mature market with the Wii. I'm sorry. It's the truth. They saw that the casual people were attracted to the console, so they focused on that market. That's why we saw Wii Fit, Wii Party, and Wii Play. Everyone and their mother owned a Wii console for that quick gaming fix. It was easy to demonstrate, like "Look I can swing the remote like a baseball bat!". But then Tablets and Smartphones started to get really big, and it made all of their casual gamers go away. And now with the Wii U, they are like WE HAVE HARDCORE TITLES WE ARE MATURE JUST LIKE MICROSOFT AND SONY LOOK WE HAVE ASSASIN'S CREED, WE HAVE BATMAN, WE HAVE MASS EFFECT. But now it's too late. People associate the Wii U with kiddie titles. And they lost their hardcore market. And it's going to bite them in the donkey.

Nintendo needs to come out with a great exclusive "mature" or "hardcore" game that may bring back the hardcore market. We'll see. As for now, people will always see that Nintendo is for kiddie games and Microsoft and Sony are for mature games. Hey, I am just telling it like it is.

Edited on by theblackdragon

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter:

theblackdragon

AlexSays wrote:

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

while other games such as Duke Nukem or Saints Row use content suitable for a mature audience in immature ways, more than often luring in an immature audience because they think that by playing this "big boy game" that they are more grown up and superior to those whose interests are in games with a more general audience.

Or people play those games because they're fun

Nobody goes to the store and buys GTA because it'll make them 'superior'. Nintendo fans just have an inferiority complex and try to rationalize people playing mature games by saying they have psychological issues.

they don't buy GTA for that reason, no, but some do wind up posting about how playing these games instead of others makes them superior over other gamers for this or that reason, same as others buy E-rated games because they genuinely enjoy them and wind up on the internet posting about how their refusal to play M-rated games makes them superior for this or that reason. it's part of our darker or more selfish nature as human beings, the need to feel superior over others, to be the one who is right and to have anyone disagreeing be flat-out wrong.

This is why we have labels like 'hardcore' and 'casual', 'mature' and 'kiddy' being used by gamers to delineate sides so that they can denounce each other in rabid fashion. Problems are always the fault of the other side, whichever label they're wearing. It's all another game where the people playing think the way to win is to have enough people to shout down the other side, but in reality, the only way to win is not to play.

To respond to the OP — an 'M' rating is not the same as the word 'mature' as a label. the ESRB has specific guidelines laid out for the rating of video games so that adults may make an informed choice regarding which games they purchase for minors, or just people in general regarding which games they might like to play. For all intents and purposes they could have used 'stopwatch' or 'flashlight' as a keyword for the rating and it would still have the same intent behind it, but they chose the word 'mature' as a key word so that people would make the connection quickly that perhaps the game isn't going to be a wise birthday choice for their three-year-old niece or something.

Does Nintendo have M-rated games on their consoles? Not many.
Does Nintendo have games featuring complex plot structure and themes perhaps requiring advanced coordination, motor skill and finesse to complete on their consoles? Absolutely.
Will people continue to complain that Nintendo doesn't conform fully to their preferred label du jour? Sure.
Should it bother you? No. It's a never-ending cycle, one you have no control over whatsoever. Put forth your own thoughts if you're up to it, but don't allow the cycle to suck you in.

In short, it's not worth it to buy into the 'label everything, draw lines and choose your side' bullcrap that 'people' want to draw you into. let them have their fun playing their silly game of words on the internet. make your own decisions, play what you're genuinely interested in, and screw what anyone else has to say about it.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Sjoerd

@Pntjr is painfully right.. This just proves how hard it is to build an image, how quickly it falls apart and how long a bad image sticks. Except for Pikmin and maybe the 101, there isn't anything new or exciting for me to find on Wii U. This might be the first generation I'm getting a second console if I can afford that, It could have been so good this generation..

3DS Friendcode: 2234-7361-0146
NNID: Soddard

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7361-0146 | Nintendo Network ID: Soddard

SomeBitTripFan

@theblackdragon: Exactly! I was more so speaking about the audience who denounces and avoids Nintendo because it is "kiddy" not so much that a mature rating is the driving point of sales.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

AlexSays

theblackdragon wrote:

they don't buy GTA for that reason, no, but some do wind up posting about how playing these games instead of others makes them superior over other gamers for this or that reason

I don't think I've ever seen this; someone saying they're a 'superior gamer' (not something I'd be proud of lol) for playing M rated games. Definitely not on this forum, where the prevalent theme is that games rated above E are for immature kids with mommy issues.

We'll see when GTAV releases, but when the time comes I don't believe we'll see anyone say "Yeah M rated right here, take that you Pokemon playin' kiddies with your E rated games and your shoes that light up"

I've seen people here claim that other consoles are superior to Nintendo platforms because of the lack of Mature games, but that's a different issue. This may have been addressed further along in your post, but my pseudo-ADD only let me get halfway through the first paragraph. Other people have the right idea in mentioning food to keep me focused.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

theblackdragon

@AlexSays: yeah, that whole comment would've made more sense if you'd read past the first half of that first sentence — at least through to the second paragraph. i should probably work on my food-analogy skills, but since the entire point of that comment was apathy toward internets opinions and the people who post them... meh. :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

DiabolicalSoup9

no matter how hard nintendo tries (and succeeds in doing) something cool, it will always be shadowed by the vast majority of "Cawl Ef Dewty" games and raging fans.

WORDS OF WISDOM:
Always throw a sandwich across the room during an argument for a dramatic effect.
During a bar brawl, look out for people trying to hurt you.
When you lose, you do not win.
Sarcasm tends to be sarcastic.
If you take laxatives, your colon will vomi...

3DS Friend Code: 3394-3744-8295

Magikarp3

The last Nintendo game I played with a supposedly deep and mature storyline was Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. And it failed because the plot never committed to the grittiness of a post-apocalyptic setting. I would say that people looking for a Nintendo game with a mature plot and atmosphere would probably have a bad time.

But Nintendo doesn't shove in lewd humour and gratuitous violence to get the "M for Money" rating, and I can respect that.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

dumedum

I feel all games are childish, and M rated games are even more childish because it takes too seriously what is essentially a completely childish behavior to most people - instead of actually doing something, immersing yourself and going "pew pew" with a controller shooting people and thinking it is a mature thing to do. It is only mature when you realize you don't care that you're doing childish things. When you stop caring about the "for babies" example and don't have that sense of security people here mentioned that playing these games is more mature. It is absolutely true that most dude bro players will feel Mario is too childish and then go play call of duty just because of that. A lot of gamers buy those games to feel mature, which is sad.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.