Forums

Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Posts 5,621 to 5,640 of 14,348

Xkhaoz

Can someone please explain why they changed Derpy in the first place? It was totally unnecessary, and I haven't seen any true reason why they did it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xkhaoz

Soopaman

Take a deep breath, and we'll all go through this together.

Edited on by theblackdragon

Banana Slamma!

Sylverstone

I just read about the Derpy situation.

Usually, I'm very calm relating to mass hysteria, but I can't help but feel a bit sad.

We had it great when The Last Roundup first aired.... and now, it feels so gone.

As to why this all happened, someone was apparently offended and since we live in a very sue-happy society, Hasbro got scared and the legal team/higher-ups decided to curtail the situation before anything went sour.

In other news, the Friendship Express DVD is now a collector's item (since it has the episode unedited).

Website | SYLVER.STREAM on Twitch | SK+SE on Ko-fi

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9715-1818 | Nintendo Network ID: Sylverstone14 | Twitter:

KaiserGX

Sylverstone wrote:

Hey everypony!

Today, I went out to the Toys R Us in Times Square with a few friends (to pick up a game, and browse some others) so I took the time to wander around the store looking for pony merch.

It took me a while, but after I saw a shelf with Strawberry Shortcake toys, I assumed more Hasbro stuff would be around and indeed, there were ponies!

I snapped a few photos and absent-mindedly used my 3DS to record video (instead of my super-awesome HD camera). Enjoy!

Dude lol, my friend just found your video on youtube...

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

Lunapplebloom

Changing Derpy's voice was so uncalled for. She now sounds like a stuck up snob that loves to cause Rainbow Dash unnecessary pain.

@Sylverstone Wow. That's a lot of pony merch. I'm in Colorado and at every store I go to that has ponies, they only got probably one fourth of what I saw in your film. I'm glad I pre-ordered the DVD now.

@ZeroX Ok, I'll be sure to read your story again.

@Boub Sorry, it's just when you said shop I automatically thought Photoshop. My bad.

Applebloom then smothered her face and body in moss from the stump. After that, she grabbed some leaves and placed them at various places on her body. Then she decided to pick up two mushrooms, and put them behind each ear. Once she was done, she rushed and then tip toed back around the window to meet up wth her freinds. "Everypony ready?"

Good night everypony.

Untitled

Edited on by Lunapplebloom

Like: Sonic, Yoshi, Link, and Samus
My Appleloggery and Youtube
PSN ID: sonicwildfire
Previously Applejacklove
Discostew: "I am the terror that trots in the night!...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9557-7319 | Nintendo Network ID: sonicwildfire07 | Twitter:

EvilRegal

I just found out about the changes with Derpy. Along with being extremely saddened by it, I don't like the message it sends. They UNCROSS HER EYES at some points, like when she's talking to Rainbow Dash (who of course doesn't say her name now), and the new voice. Especially being a show targeted to little girls that has thus far had so many wonderful, positive messages, THIS particular message is a horrible one. It says it's not acceptable to be different. It's not acceptable to have funny-looking eyes. It's not acceptable to have a funny name. It's not acceptable to have a different voice (it's made more feminine here, so I guess it was perceived to be too masculine???). These unacceptable traits must be corrected. I mean, they may as well have never aired Zecora's "Bridle Gossip" episode last season now, because it's messages have been made null and void by treating Derpy this way. Obviously she's Derpy no longer. One has to wonder if we'll ever see her again now. If we do, she won't remotely be the same. Tragic.

I'm really disgusted by this, and all you have to do is go to Equestria Daily to see that there's a community of Bronies up in arms. Sorry to say I'm glad there's no new episode today (even with the next one being one for Fluttershy), because I'm not in the mood to watch the show right now after hearing of this. I need some time to cool off.

Ironic that political correctness (which has to be what some of this is about because of the changes to more than just her name) seems to wind up in worse discrimination than anything else could. Such is this ROYALLY EFFED UP world of ours.

Edited on by EvilRegal

Let's attack aggressively, kupo! :D

3DS Friend Code: 5241-1915-3356 | Nintendo Network ID: EvilRegal

MasterGraveheart

I've taken some time to think about this, and I've come to a conclusion. I've said it on my Twitter account, but...

...I'm going to write the best darn Derpy fanfic you've ever read!

MasterGraveheart

3DS Friend Code: 0903-2738-1632 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterGraveheart | Twitter:

Buob

<opinion> I actually prefer the new voice. The old one portrayed her as actually having some mental disability, rather than being the clumsy blond she is. That said, I'd actually like a higher pitched, more perky tone than the newer voice. Also, I believe that's partially why Hasbro changed the voice; because Derpy's voice portrayed her as having a disability. Believe me, I'm totally against political correctness, but falsely advertising a ditsy blonde as mentally retarded; I believe that does warrant a change. </opinion>

Scootaloo was covered in head to toe with sap, and had somehow made herself look a few hands taller than she was. Sweetie Belle was lightly covered in branches, most likely scared of what her sister would do to her if she found Sweetie Belle had messed up anything.
"Here Sweetie, you've got a bald spot and we need to make this as convincing as possible." Scootaloo put a full branch on Sweetie's back.
"Thanks.'
"Alright, we're ready!"

Trixie was a little bit frightened of the whispering-esque sounds she had heard for the past half hour or so. She had only come out to get a little bit of amethyst from Zecora, so that she could make a few more mind control gems. She almost had everypony in town under her control. Those six Princess brown-nosers and a couple of other scattered ponies were all that were left. And she had to do something about those two new alicorns; maybe not the gems, she didn't know if her magic was strong enough for that, but she definitely had to do something about them.
But now Trixie was standing, in the Everfree Forest, with this ominous whispering all around her. All of a sudden she heard a crack behind her. Trixie whirled around to see a creepy looking moss thing behind her.
"AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!" she screamed as loudly as she could, turning around to get away from this....thing. She turned to see a pile of branches moving towards her. She screamed louder and turned in yet another direction. She almost ran into a giant, stinky thing covered in sap. Not able to take it anymore, Trixie fainted.

"Oops, I think we over did it a little."

@Applejacklove It's alright. It just doesn't sound as cool when you say "it was GIMP'd." Or....maybe it does. I'll do that next time. Anyway, I think it just has more of a universal understanding if you say "it was photoshopped," kinda like Kleenex, Band-Aid, etc.

Previous works, Princestians, (Chapter 5 is on hiatus)

Nintendo Network ID: buob-san

MasterGraveheart

@Buob: I'm not against the new voice, even though I think this one didn't go through all the quality control processes. The voice was fine, but the performance was not. I do think that removing the name and crosseyes are what hurts most. That's how we knew Derpy in the first place. A fan-given name to a unique little filly. It became the show's little wink to us mid-show, like that one old actress who tugged her ear as a sign to her grandmother. I've said it in many locations, but it felt like a true love letter to the fans.

Everyone... listen... this is really starting a wildfire that is causing more harm than good to the good brony name. I think what everyone needs to do is calm down, Smile, Smile, Smile, and collectively, rationally, talk to Hasbro about this issue.

Seriously, have you seen the Equestria Daily thread? It made me feel... well...

Untitled

Luckily, it appears the DVD remains unaltered, so I'm feeling good about reserving it today. It'll have a proud place in my library.

MasterGraveheart

3DS Friend Code: 0903-2738-1632 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterGraveheart | Twitter:

Syrup

Hasbro basically... uh... "defecated" all over their "supposed" olive branch towards the bronies (the line of new toys). Seriously, it's like they don't care about us, they only care about our money. I now feel ashamed to have even purchased that stupid DVD, seriously. Until Hasbro brings back Derpy, and apologizes for this fiasco, I won't be buying another piece of mechandise.

Edited on by Syrup

MasterGraveheart

Did you stop to think that maybe the possibility exists that Hasbro didn't have much of a choice in the matter? I'm not happy about this either, but maybe there WAS a legal issue with that. A lawyer's job is to keep it's clients out of court, more so than defending them in court. Or, maybe they're worried about the fanbase and what they need now is support from the fans and positive encouragement that the path they chose isn't entirely correct.

But, that's just me.

MasterGraveheart

Syrup

Disregard my previous comment:
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/02/look-into-derpy-from-kr...
It seems there has been alot of buzz about Derpy being "fixed". I saw the New version of Derpy in "The Last Round-Up" and I do admit it didn't settle well with me. I still enjoyed the original. I didn't like the reason why they had her change. It didn't seem at all offensive in my opinion. When I first saw the scene in the animatic, I literally burst with joy. But I had a feeling that it might not settle with some fans and some people. Especially since people already have their own version of Derpy and people might get the wrong idea of her character.

Its not often that cartoons show fan content. Cause sometimes when you include Fan content, it usually can result to something negative (to fans or to others). And sometimes it also endangers the identity/essence of the show. Or if people like it, they will probably expect a lot more.To the point they might expect TOO much. So you could imagine my surprise when they decided to name Derpy and give her a voice.

Derpy has became more than just some fancy Easter egg in the show. She's became an Icon, a symbol to the fans of MLP:FIM. Though Derpy was created in a studio, her character was created by the fans.  You can probably say that she represents all Bronies everywhere. Fans have enjoyed Derpy whenever they see her in the background until the point when she talked. The entire studio loves her as well. I was there in one of those Livestream chatrooms when people first heard her talk. It was quite entertaining how happy people were. So its no surprise to see people get really upset by this.

In a way, I understand why majority of fans are upset but blaming, pointing fingers and throwing hate around is not the way to do this. You're forgetting your own motto "Love and Tolerance". You bronies are one of inspiration and our greatest achievement. Don't sully your name by spreading Hate and intolerance. Remember, Tolerance is not the same as acceptance. If you are upset with something, display it in a more positive way. You'll get your message across much better than lashing it out with hate. Show some respect. Show some humility.

Oh I also want to address on a artist name Yamino. I've heard that she has been garnered a lot of hate by the Brony Community due to her not liking Derpy's portrayal. Let it be known, that she had NOTHING to do with the sudden change. She expressed an opinion on Derpy. That is all. She did not ask me to do this or anyone on the staff. I had to say this because the hate she's been receiving is unnecessary. So leave her be.

Also don't spam notes and messages to the people who work on the show. You're probably not going to get much out of it.

On the issue on Derpy whether she'll have the same Derp face expression and stuff. As an animator of the show, rest assured, she'll be fine. The show will still go on and I hope you will continue to support the show. Though Derpy is a great character, she is not essentially the reason why the show is awesome (though she is one of the Reasons). If Derpy never existed on that fateful scene in the first episode, would MLP be a bad show? Remember MLP is a great show because for what it is. I didn't know about Derpy until someone from the Studio pointed it out. I hope you'll still enjoy the show no matter what happens.

I hope this message will ease some of your minds. Thank you.

EvilRegal

There's no doubt in my mind that this is the definitive low point of the show. As I said, I don't like the message that it sends. Still, I love the show like no other on TV. It truly has a permanent place in my heart that will last the rest of my life! I want to see it thrive and go on for as long as possible. So, I'm kind of worried about the aftermath of this, though, there are so many hard feelings over Derpy. I'm afraid of this snowballing and hurting the show's future in the long run. Much as I love Derpy, I'd rather see no more Derpy than no more Ponies! And Derpy's going nowhere! I read this from one of the show's animators. They talk about Derpy being fine. Link is below. I'm not at all happy about this. I'm way more hurt than I SHOULD feel about something affecting a cartoon character. But, it could be MUCH worse and I hope that's nothing that comes to pass from all the anger over this. Here's the article I mentioned...

http://kreoss.deviantart.com/journal/Derpy-287023334

(I see you beat me to it, Artist Formerly Known as SquiggleTail )

Edited on by EvilRegal

Let's attack aggressively, kupo! :D

3DS Friend Code: 5241-1915-3356 | Nintendo Network ID: EvilRegal

CorporalPegasus

New episode!!!!! Dashie and Fluttershy!!! Pegasi episode!!!
Title: Hurricane Fluttershy
Air Date: March 24, 2012
Synopsis: Fluttershy needs to overcome her self consciousness in order to help Rainbow Dash and the other pegasi with the Rainy Season.

IGOR!

Chief_Braeburn

@Everypony Hello it has been awhile.
I thought derby's original voise suited her just fine and people with diabilities are said to be a gift from God.
(That's my opinion)

Edited on by Chief_Braeburn

Braeburn Chief of Police at the Manehatten Police Department.
My 3DS Fc : 3995-6538-0967

TeeJay

You can do it Fluttershy! We believe in you!
Untitled

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.