Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 981 to 1,000 of 6,568

RR529

Earlier tonight I watched The Admiral: Roaring Current (Netflix/Korean/Japanese language film).

Set during one of Japan's incursions into Korea in the 1500's, it centers around a Korean admiral who must find a way to turn back the numerous (and recently reinvigorated) forces of the Japanese navy, with only 13 ships.

There's a lot of buildup (lots of strategy meetings & the like, in both sides) in the first half of the film, but the final hour is one long, nonstop naval battle that never lets up, and it really pays off.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

GamecubeMan

Last night I saw one of the many teen romance films to spawn due to the success of The Fault in Our Stars, Paper Towns. I must say how surprised I am about how good this movie is. Basically the main character goes on this scavenger hunt to find this girl. Now most people would wonder why he is going though so much trouble over a girl? Well the film actually addresses this point and even makes it serve as a key idea to take away from the while film. Very refreshing movie.

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

Peek-a-boo

@GamecubeMan: The Fault in Our Stars was overbearingly sentimental whereas Paper Planes does well to stick to the book without resorting to the usual melodramatic fluff.

Both books are worth reading considering both films (annoyingly) go off on their own paths from time to time; An Abundance of Katherine's is John Green's best (so far).

Peek-a-boo

RR529

Last night we watched Home (Netflix).

It's the one that has Jim Parsons (Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory) voicing an alien who befriends a human girl. Like most of Dreamworks' catalogue, it's pretty decent if you're in the mood for an animated movie, but it's not top tier level stuff.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

LavaTwilight

I just watched 'Coherence' on the UK Netflix (tho it may be in other regionsay - a group of 8 friends meet for a dinner party during the night when a comet passes over. When the lights go out they are surprised to see one house on the block still with its power. However, when two of them decide to go to the house, they are shocked to discover it's actually another parallel reality of their own dinner party. I wish I could say more but that would be giving away the twists! It's an independent film with a lot of improv but played out so brilliantly, this has quickly become one my favourite films! I still need to watch it again though to figure a few things out...

Edited on by LavaTwilight

Mario Maker ID - 4XR BYS 5PF

My Nintendo: Mikee | Nintendo Network ID: LavaTwilight

RR529

Tonight I watched American Wedding (Netflix)!

I watched American Pie about a month ago & liked it, so I figured I'd try another in the series. Netflix didn't have the second, so I jumped into the third. Just as crass as the first one, and to humorous effect.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Last night I watched Fantasia 2000 (Netflix)

It was pretty neat, and overall I thought it was better than the original. I don't think there was a single short I disliked.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

dumedum

Watched The Good Dinosaur in the cinema and thought it was really good. It was well made, beautiful, and with the usual emotional-Pixar angle. Not as good as Up or Toy Story 3 which I feel are Pixar's best films, but definitely on the level of Inside Out.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

Vinny

I've watched Sonic the Hedgehog the Movie (1996). I think it's a really good adaptation of the game. I like the characterization, the action scenes, and the soundtrack that sounds a lot like you'd find in the Japanese Sonic CD OST. It can be chiché sometimes. But still, great movie.

Edited on by Vinny

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Xyphon22

I have a couple of questions if anybody has seen these newer movies yet. My wife got me 12 movie tickets for Christmas to go to one a month. For January, I am trying to decide between The Revenant and The Big Short. Can anyone comment on either of these? I am leaning towards The Revenant now just because it swept the big awards at the Golden Globes. Which leads to my second question. I haven't seen it, but why on earth was The Martian nominated as a comedy in everything? I can't help but think The Big Short may have gotten a raw deal because it lost all the awards to The Martian.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

GamecubeMan

@Xyphon22: I have not personally seen The Revenant but my closest friends have seen it and they are big Leo fans and they said it was good movie if that helps.

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
My

GamecubeMan

I recently saw Inside Out. Great movie and it made me cry to be honest. My only complaint is that it seemed to be the exact opposite of dexus machina if I am spelling that term correct. Basically the movie would have been a lot shorter if they realized early on the solution they figured out regarding using the tubes. Even then, whenever they found a solution, it immediately backfired over and over again.

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
My

dumedum

arronishere wrote:

My top 2015 films list as I'm bored;

1. Birdman (it was a 2015 uk release)

Really? I'm a huge Keaton (Batman) fan, but I thought the movie was terrible, one of the worst I've ever seen.

2. Inside Out

Agree, although not original, it was well executed.

4. Creed

One of the best, I agree... Stallone deserves the oscar.

8. Martian

Extraordinary Ridley project, who deserves the oscar for best director.

LaserdiscGal

@dumedum How did you not like Birdman? I thought it was an excellent movie, and my second favorite of 2015 behind Force Awakens.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

jump

Santa wrote:

How did you not like Birdman? I thought it was an excellent movie, and my second favorite of 2015 behind Force Awakens.

He went in thinking it was a superhero movie

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

dumedum

arronishere wrote:

Santa wrote:

How did you not like Birdman? I thought it was an excellent movie, and my second favorite of 2015 behind Force Awakens.

He went in thinking it was a superhero movie

I found it extremely boring, that it didn't make sense at all, and seemed like they were just making the stuff as they go along. I heard there was supposed to be a different ending too in the beginning (which sounded terrible) and that just reinforced my belief that this was over hyped, overrated, pretentious, phony, and the kind of movie i can't stand.

As for the superhero, I actually thought this was just a regular has been actor situation, but when they started with the super powers, it was a surprise, and then keep wondering whether that was real or not was seriously annoying. I'm annoyed just thinking about it lol.

Edited on by dumedum

GamecubeMan

The new Captain America Movie looks cool and I really hope there are actually consequences to this movie unlike most superhero movies everyone live happily ever after.

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
My

DiscoDriver43

What is Jupiter Ascending and Mortdecai

Edited on by DiscoDriver43

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

the_shpydar

@DiscoDriver43: Jupiter Ascending was a sci-fi movie with Mila Kunis that looked intriguing but evidently didn't live up to its hype. Mortdecai is something that should never be spoken of again.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic