Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 901 to 920 of 6,568

Peek-a-boo

I do think we have a case of 'rose tinted glasses' with some horror remakes, but I absolutely cannot agree with the Texas Chainsaw Massacre being better than the original; the original film still manages to shock to this day, and I wasn't a fan of the overly gratuitous violence in the remake either. The original film was a good example of 'less is more'.

As for The Babadook, the kid in the film is supposed to be annoying! If you watch the cast and director interview (in the extras) on DVD, you will be verbally told that the kid is purposely written to wind the viewer up, just as he winds his own mother up in the film. We see a role reversal in the later stages of the film where we start to sympathise with the boy more than his mother.

What I can agree with (with you) is that Annabelle was indeed pretty poor, and that that The Thing and The Shining being in your all time top five (horror films?) is a sign of a man with taste. Apart from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre part, of course!

; p

Peek-a-boo

CaviarMeths

Original TCM is just something that I don't "get" and maybe never will. It was a miserable experience for me, and when I see all the praise it gets, it feels like I watched a completely different movie or something. It's strange. I'm not usually so... out of touch, I guess? Even when I don't like something, I can usually see easily why other people do, but with TCM, I don't.

I dunno lol.

Early Friday the 13th movies, I understand why they're popular. They're dumb movies that are fun to watch with friends and beer. I enjoyed most of them in that capacity too. Except for Part III, which was a little to boring to enjoy in any state of mind.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

RR529

I watched Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (DVD) last night!

It's pretty much more of the same, but in this case, I don't mind. I've always found these films to be fun, and this one is no different. The ending hit extra hard, due to real world circumstances:

It's decided to permanently leave the tablet in London, meaning the New York exhibits won't come back to life, and when Stiller's character says his individual goodbyes to all of them, it's extra sad to hear that conversation with Teddy Roosevelt, played by Robin Williams, in one of his last roles.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Electricmastro

Ok, here's the ending to Pixels. Even the plot for Bad Dudes on NES isn't this ridiculous:

The team is recognized as heroes before the White House. Cooper announces he's made a peace treaty with the aliens. Eddie apologizes to Brenner for cheating and admits he's the best in the world. Ludlow misses Lisa until Q*bert randomly morphs into her. Brenner and Violet become a couple. Eddie then gets a text from Serena to meet him in the bedroom along with Martha Stewart (who made sandwiches). Eddie sneaks off with excitement. The aliens leave Earth, and Iwatani's hand is restored. One year later, Ludlow has married Lisa and they're the proud parents of five Q*berts.

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

-Green-

Electricmastro wrote:

Ok, here's the ending to Pixels. Even the plot for Bad Dudes on NES isn't this ridiculous:

The team is recognized as heroes before the White House. Cooper announces he's made a peace treaty with the aliens. Eddie apologizes to Brenner for cheating and admits he's the best in the world. Ludlow misses Lisa until Q*bert randomly morphs into her. Brenner and Violet become a couple. Eddie then gets a text from Serena to meet him in the bedroom along with Martha Stewart (who made sandwiches). Eddie sneaks off with excitement. The aliens leave Earth, and Iwatani's hand is restored. One year later, Ludlow has married Lisa and they're the proud parents of five Q*berts.

Yup... that ending makes "perfect" sense. 10/10

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

RR529

It's Cinema Nihongo Thursday! This week I watched Sonatine (Netflix/Japanese language film).

A 1993 film, it's an earlier work of Takeshi Kitano (who is also behind Outrage & Beyond Outrage), and like the other two, is a film set in the world of the Yakuza.

Kitano himself plays a mid tier crime boss who is thinking of retiring, though the big boss upstairs has one last job for him. Kitano & some of his men are sent to Okinawa (from Tokyo) to forge a peace treaty between two Yakuza groups that are fighting there. Of course, nothing is quite as it seems in the world of organized crime, and Kitano may just find himself in an unexpected situation!

It has a unique feel compared to the newer two films of his I watched, and while it still knows to get serious & dramatic when it needs to, it also takes some time to have some fun (something neither Outrage or it's sequel really did). I wouldn't say it's better than the Outrage films, but it is on par (whch is still good, since those films were awesome), and unique enough that you should watch this in addition to them.

I also really enjoyed the shots of the Okinawan wilderness, which was quite beautiful, and the look into 90's Japan.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Watched Maleficent (Encore OnDemand HD) last night!

This was a really enjoyable movie, and between all the action, romance, and comedy, there's something for everyone here. The use of CGI was good and helped create a vivid fantasy world, even if it looked a little too fake in certain parts (mainly those mud slinging goblins, and Aurora's fairy god mothers in their fairy forms). All the CGI rendered scenery looked gorgeous, though, as well as other things like the dragon, and Maleficent's flight scenes.

While the narrative wasn't bad, it was a bit different than I was expecting, and I'm still not quite sure what to make of it:

I thought it was going to be more of a prequel to Sleeping Beauty, showing Maleficent's fall into madness & villainy, but it was more of a remake, where she was more misunderstood, and it was the actions of the human king, Aurora's father, that drove her to such madness, and she herself is the one who redeems herself & saves the kingdom from the maniacal king in the end.

Still, I found it to be an enjoyable film, and think they'll probably update Maleficent in KHIII to closer resemble the design/personality of the character in this movie.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

I watched Underworld: Evolution (Netflix) last night!

It's a nice followup to the original, and sees Celine & Michael rushing to stop Marcus (the last elder of her clan) from unleasing an ancient horror upon the world (what that is, I won't divulge). Along the way, more secrets about the history of the centuries long vampire and werewolf (called Lycans here) war is revealed.

It's no film masterpiece, but if you want to see vampires & werewolfs shooting each other up with modern weaponry, it's a decent watch.

Also, I don't know if this is due to dated special effects or as an homage to monster flicks of old, but the werewolf transformations & movement look extra stiff, like they were trying to imitate the look of stop motion movement. I think it was the latter though, as there was a fight scene on a truck (between Michael & Marcus) that had a bit of a red & blue tinged blur, like you were supposed to watch it with those old red & blue 3D glasses (there were even some moments, like when Marcus just hovered in front of the truck for a bit, that implied that's what they were going for here). That's the only one time it was ever done, and it wasn't so blurry as to make it unwatchable, just enough to get the point across.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Arminillo

Ant-Man so spice.
I was really worried during the first half, but once he started learning how to use the suit it really came together.

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

LyIa

@Arminillo: Same here. It wasn't super fantastic, but it was pretty darn good. I enjoyed it a lot.

all men are kings 👑

TylerTheCreator

I saw Southpaw the other day. The movie really exceeded my expectations! It's a good film! Jake Gyllenhaal's acting is superb. He nailed his preformance. His acting made his character seem very realistic.

The film has a really dark and sad plot. I didn't expect Southpaw to be so serious. I'm glad it was, though. But, if you have PTSD and you're easily triggered, I wouldn't watch it.

TylerTheCreator

3DS Friend Code: 1633-4674-8666 | Nintendo Network ID: Shock-T

RR529

It's Cinema Nihongo Thursday! This week I watched Dead Ball (Netflix/Japanese language film).

It's a B-Movie that forcefully tries to be "so bad it's good", and while I'll admit to being amused at some of it's antics, I also cringed at some of them, and just feel that the "so bad it's good" vibe isn't something that can be replicated successfully on purpose.

It stars a high school baseball phenom who swears off the sport after accidentally killing his father with his best fast ball. He ends up finding himself in a prison reform school after a string of brutally violent vigilantism against Yakuza and other criminals (it's never explained how or why he got into this), and is goaded into competing in the "Juvie League" baseball team by the school's headmistress, who promises to reunite him with his missing younger brother if he does so. However, not all is as it seems, because the headmistress is a staunch Neo-Nazi who believes in eradicating the "unworthy" from Japanese society, so why would she care about using baseball to reform bad kids?

There's a lot of B-Movie antics like fast balls that create firey craters, a killer Nazi baseball cyborg, oodles & oodles of laughably fake gore, and completely random nods to pop culture (such as James Cameron's Avatar). Overall, it's a terrible film, and I could only recommend it to those who love B-Movies of every kind.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

I watched Saints & Soldiers: The Void (Netflix)!

Movie set in the waning days of WWII in the European theater. After a bridge is damaged an American troop transport truck has to take a detour through "the Void" (nickname given to the barren battlefields that have yet to be cleaned up) and is attacked by a rogue Nazi tank squadron that hasn't yet surrendered. The two survivors of the transport truck (including African-American officer Jesse Owens) join up with an American tank squadron in order to take out the Nazi resistance before any more transports fall victim to them. However, victory depends on whether or not tank gunner Cary Simms can get over his racial prejudice and work with Owens.

It may not be a big name, but it's a really great watch if you're into WWII films (they even use real tanks). In fact, all the Saints & Soldiers films are good, and I believe all 3 are on Netflix (they aren't sequels to each other, either. All three are set in WWII, but feature independent stories)

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

I watched Atari: Game Over (Netflix) last night!

It's a documentary exploring the sudden fall of Atari in the early 80's, what (if) the flopping of the E.T. video game had to do with it, and whether or not millions of E.T. game carts were really buried in a landfill.

It's an interesting watch if you're into gaming history.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

It's Cinema Nihongo Thursday! This week I watched Shall We Dance? (Netflix/Japanese language film)

Salaryman Sugihara has everything he's ever wanted in life. He's married, has a child, and has even recently acquired his own house, but somehow after all this, he still feels like something's missing. However, he thinks he may have found it when he sees an alluring woman in the window of a ballroom dance studio on the train ride back home. He joins a class in hopes of meeting her, but in Japanese society ballroom dancing is seen as an oddity. Even married couples aren't very touchy feely in public in Japanese society, so imagine the shame if it were to be found out that he's doing such intimate dancing with strangers!

I first watched this years ago on TV (though I forgot where) and loved it, so I figured I'd give it a rewatch it here to see if it still holds up. I still loved it. It doesn't seem like something I'd be interested in, but for whatever reason I really like it. It has a cast of likeable, memorable characters, and a nice mix of drama with genuinely humorous situations.

Even if it doesn't seem like something you'd be interested in, I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Last night I watched Son of God (Netflix)!

A Biblical account of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

It's wonderfully made, though as it's made using repurposed footage from History's The Bible (same production company), you'd probably be better off looking for that if you're interested (It was on Netflix too, though I'm not sure if it's still there).

No matter how you watch it though, I'd say it's a good watch for both believers (like me) and for those just looking for some insight into what's behind one of the most influencial religions/philosophies in the world today.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

It's Cinema Nihongo Thursday! This week I watched Battle Royale (Netflix/Japanese language film).

Released in 2000, it's pretty much what the Hunger Games was based on, from what I can gather (though it's much bloodier).

Set in the near future, Japan's economy has collapsed and the youth are more rebellious than ever. The governmet decides that the nation may decline further if discipline isn't restored to the nation's youth, so in order to scare them straight they enact the Battle Royale Act (BR Act for short).

Under the new act, one 9th grade class from anywhere in the country is randomly selected by computer each year to take part in "Battle Royale". Under the guise of a field trip, the selected class arrives at a remote island, where the students must kill each other off within three days. If a winner isn't decided by the final day, everyone dies, courtesy of the explosive collars on their necks. Everyone recieves a duffel bag, which contains water, some food, island map, compass, pencil, flashlight, and random weapon (some lucky people get a machine gun or shotgun, while others not so lucky may get binoculars or a pot lid, or a wide array of anything inbetween). Thanks to loudspeaker announcemtnts at regular intervals, students know who has already been killed, and the whole event is broadcast live across the nation.

Who will win? Well, I guess you'd have to watch to find out. Oh, and Takeshi Kitano appears (he's the teacher), and his character's name is Kitano as well.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

LaserdiscGal

@RR529

I LOVE BATTLE ROYAL! Such a great flick, make sure to watch the sequel as it's also on Netflix.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

RR529

Darth_Vader wrote:

@RR529

I LOVE BATTLE ROYAL! Such a great flick, make sure to watch the sequel as it's also on Netflix.

Yeah, the sequel is what I'll be watching next week.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

the_shpydar

Battle Royale is a fantastic film. I actually bought it on a "grey-market" DVD many years ago (before is was ever released stateside). Haven't watched it in the while, so i think i'll have to pop it in this weekend. Never seen the sequel, though i've heard it's not near as good. Curious to hear your take on it after to watch it.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic