Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 861 to 880 of 6,550

StarBoy91

@CanisWolfred - my sentiments exactly =|

My favorite part about this confounding mess is how Eddie Redmayne's character occasionally went from:
Speaking, in a soft whisper-like low voice, until, he feels the need to shout, right out

OF THE BLUE!!!!!!!!!

Like, Wachowskis, what happened when making this movie?? It's absolutely befuddling

To each their own

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

NinChocolate

I watched the Black Cauldron. If anyone hasn't read the book series, they are classics and can be enjoyed by all ages!

NinChocolate

NintendoFan64

Saw Jurassic World today. Thought it was good.
@CanisWolfred I haven't seen it, but I've heard about it, and I think that I've gotten a bit dumber from just hearing about the plot.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Tasuki

Well sticking with a July Fourth tradition, in my family we watched ID4 today. Great movie and I can't wait for the sequel.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

RR529

Been seeing trailers for the new Vacation, and while I love the idea behind it, I can't see this movie being anything other than a flop.

Every single joke featured in the trailers feels forced & inorganic, like they're trying way too hard to emulate the original. I'll probably watch it (not in the cinema though), but I don't have my hopes high.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tasuki

@RR529: I agree. There are somethings that shouldn't be remade and this is one of them. I honestly can't see how this movie will be good without Chevy Chase in the lead role. I will probably wait till this comes to Netflix or its paired at the Drive In with another movie I want to see more.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

NintendoFan64

RR529 wrote:

Been seeing trailers for the new Vacation, and while I love the idea behind it, I can't see this movie being anything other than a flop.

Every single joke featured in the trailers feels forced & inorganic, like they're trying way too hard to emulate the original. I'll probably watch it (not in the cinema though), but I don't have my hopes high.

Y'know, when I found out they were remaking it, all I could think of was this: WHY!?

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

the_shpydar

Agreed with everyone on the new Vacation movie. As much as i like Ed Helms, the original movie was one of the great 80s comedy classics, and shouldn't even be attempted to be remade.

Meanwhile, i finally got around to seeing The World's End. Absolutely loved it. Shaun of the Dead is of course the best of the Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy, and i'd rank this one as second best (though i did love Hot Fuzz as well). I'm sure the fact that i'm in that same stage of life as the characters certainly helped my appreciation of the film, as of course did my love of having (more than) a few pints.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

CaviarMeths

Finally got out to see Jurassic World. Loved it. It was almost as good as the original, and certainly better than TLW and JP3. Next I need to get out and see Inside Out.

And I have the night off, so tonight I'm staying home and watching a couple horror movies. It Follows and The Babadook, two indie flicks that debuted at film festivals last year (Cannes and Sundance, respectively) and apparently were very well received.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

-Green-

CaviarMeths wrote:

Finally got out to see Jurassic World. Loved it. It was almost as good as the original, and certainly better than TLW and JP3. Next I need to get out and see Inside Out.

And I have the night off, so tonight I'm staying home and watching a couple horror movies. It Follows and The Babadook, two indie flicks that debuted at film festivals last year (Cannes and Sundance, respectively) and apparently were very well received.

It Follows was a very good movie. I really enjoyed it and I'm sure you will love it.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

RR529

The family just finished up The Judge!

Robert Downey Jr. plays a defense attorney with a fast track life who goes back to his small home town to attend his mother's funeral. He's estranged with his family (especially his father, played by Robert Duvall, the local judge with an old fashioned view of upholding the law). However, his father finds himself on the other side of the courtroom when he's accused of murdering an old enemy, and his only hope is to rely on his estranged son. Can they put their differences aside? Both actors absolutely nailed their roles (especially Duvall), and it's a really great film that almost made me tear up at times.

Due to personal interests, it won't wind up as one of my favorite films this year, but it's a great watch if you have the time, and can put up with the language (they drop the F-Bomb at least 20 times...).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

The year is half over, so what are the top 5 (or 10, or 15, ect.) films you've seen so far this year? (they don't have to be 2015 releases, you just have had to view them for the first time this year). I'll split mine into Heavy Films & Popcorn Films.

Heavy Films:

5. Monuments Men, The (Encore On Demand)
4. Saving Mr. Banks (Encore On Demand)
3. Unbroken (DVD)
2. Outrage (Netflix/Japanese language film)
1. Last Samurai, The (Netflix)

Popcorn Films:

5. Amazing Spider-Man 2, The (Encore On Demand)
4. Captain America: the Winter Soldier (DVD)
3. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (DVD)
2. Guardians of the Galaxy (DVD)
1. Jurassic World (Cinema)

So how about you?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Welcome to Cinema Nihongo Thursday! This week I watched 009-1: the End of the Beginning (Netflix/Japanese language film)!

Set in a dystopian future where Japan (now J-Country) has become a third world country caught in the middle of a battle between two superpowers, known as Eastern Bloc & Western Bloc, respectively, the main character is a woman who was orphaned during the fighting, then was raised as a cyborg spy for the Western Bloc. Her creator is seemingly kidnapped by Eastern Bloc spies, and it's up to her to rescue the only "mother" she's ever known.

It's the very definition of a B-movie, where the action is filled with cheesy special effects & gratuitous clearly fake gore, eroticism sometimes bordering on creepy, and zombies, because why not?

It's by no means a good movie, but I'm sure the niche that just adores B-movies will find something to like about it (I'll admit I chuckled a few times at the absurdity of it all). Oh, and I assume it's a live action adaptation of the Cyborg 009 manga/anime series, though I doubt it follows the story of the original at all.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

TylerTheCreator

I recently saw Jurrasic World. The movie is extremely overrated. The reason why the original is so well received is because realistic looking dinosaurs in a movie were brand new and because the movie had great cinematography and great action. This new movie has good action, but CGI isn't new anymore and there wasn't a concentration on cinematography in this one. Too much product placement too. I think there was a few plot holes and a lot of confusing plot points. I don't want to spoil it though.

TylerTheCreator

3DS Friend Code: 1633-4674-8666 | Nintendo Network ID: Shock-T

RR529

TylerTheCreator wrote:

I recently saw Jurrasic World. The movie is extremely overrated. The reason why the original is so well received is because realistic looking dinosaurs in a movie were brand new and because the movie had great cinematography and great action. This new movie has good action, but CGI isn't new anymore and there wasn't a concentration on cinematography in this one. Too much product placement too. I think there was a few plot holes and a lot of confusing plot points. I don't want to spoil it though.

I won't take issue with most of your points, other than the bolded.

Complaining about product placement is one of the silliest things I've ever seen (this isn't solely directed at you, as it's a complaint I've seen many people voice about many movies/games over the years on the internet).

Fact is, Starbucks, Mercedes, Barns & Noble & the like are brands that exist in our real world, and as such having them feature in a movie (or game) brings it that much closer to reality than having Generic Coffe Shop #4, Sports Car Roadster 2015, and Generic Book Store #7, and it makes the experience that much more immersive as a result.

I could understand the distaste if they had the actor/actress shove a bottle of MTN Dew up against the screen yelling "Do The Dew!", but nothing I've seen in most games or movies (including this one) even comes close to that. It just so happens that there is a Starbucks location on the premises of the park (in the background), which just happens to be the kind of partnership I'd totally expect to see in a real world theme park.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

LaserdiscGal

TylerTheCreator wrote:

I recently saw Jurrasic World. The movie is extremely overrated. The reason why the original is so well received is because realistic looking dinosaurs in a movie were brand new and because the movie had great cinematography and great action. This new movie has good action, but CGI isn't new anymore and there wasn't a concentration on cinematography in this one. Too much product placement too I think there was a few plot holes and a lot of confusing plot points. I don't want to spoil it though.

It could be worse...much worse.

Edited on by LaserdiscGal

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

TylerTheCreator

@RR529: Well everyone in the movie were also driving Mercedes-Benz cars, using Samsung Galaxy phones, and the older brother had Beats headphones on.

TylerTheCreator

3DS Friend Code: 1633-4674-8666 | Nintendo Network ID: Shock-T

HollywoodHogan

RR529 wrote:

Complaining about product placement is one of the silliest things I've ever seen (this isn't solely directed at you, as it's a complaint I've seen many people voice about many movies/games over the years on the internet).

Fact is, Starbucks, Mercedes, Barns & Noble & the like are brands that exist in our real world, and as such having them feature in a movie (or game) brings it that much closer to reality than having Generic Coffe Shop #4, Sports Car Roadster 2015, and Generic Book Store #7, and it makes the experience that much more immersive as a result.

I could understand the distaste if they had the actor/actress shove a bottle of MTN Dew up against the screen yelling "Do The Dew!", but nothing I've seen in most games or movies (including this one) even comes close to that. It just so happens that there is a Starbucks location on the premises of the park (in the background), which just happens to be the kind of partnership I'd totally expect to see in a real world theme park.

Friend to all SJW's

RR529

TylerTheCreator wrote:

@RR529: Well everyone in the movie were also driving Mercedes-Benz cars, using Samsung Galaxy phones, and the older brother had Beats headphones on.

That really doesn't counter my point. How would the scenes with those products have been any better if the area where the corporate logo is had been blank. The scene(s) probably wouldn't have been any different at all.

Again, I could totally understand the issue if they took time away from the plot for an actor/actress to quip about how much better Samsung is than Apple, or how much better Beats is than Bose, but they didn't do that. There are people in the real world who just happen to use Samsung phones, teens who own Beats headphones, and peoole who drive Mercedes cars, so I don't find it that hard to believe (or intrusive) if characters in a movie happen to do those same things (as long as they don't go out of their way to make a point about it).

Also, in the real world, large companies will order large amounts of a specific product in bulk for company use, so it's highly believable that all company cars would be of the same brand (or even make), and that the partnership may even extend to employees who may get a discount if they buy their own personal car (or other product) from the same company their employer has a partnership with.

@HollywoodHogan, I'll get to your responce as soon as my tablet is charged (as is, I'm on my 3DS, which your video won't show up on).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic