Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 821 to 840 of 6,568

Dave24

Sharknado 2 and it was sadly meh. It had some awesome moments, but it had too much booooriiiiiing. And the big question I was asking was how can you make a boring movie from an idea as great as tornados with sharks slaughtering the cities.

Dave24

RR529

Just saw the new 2 minute long trailer for Jurassic World, and oh man does it look amazing!

We only see two or three movies (in the theater) a year, and I can already tell this is definitely going to be one of them.

EDIT: Some notable movies I've seen for the first time recently...

Zatoichi: the Blind Swordsman - Absolutely brilliant samurai drama/action flick. Not quite as good as 13 Assassins or Hara Kiri: Death of a Samurai, but it's still a must watch if you like these kinds of films.

Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow - An homage to the cult sci-fi flicks of the late 30's. It has a niche appeal, but if you'd like to see a 30's sci-fi flick with modern special effects (for 2003) behind it, it's a pretty fun time.

Frozen - I'm still not a big fan of CGI, but this is the best animated film Disney has put out in over a decade (and that includes Pixar). At times it made me feel like a kid again, watching The Lion King or Aladdin for the first time, which is something I haven't felt for a long time.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

DiscoDriver43

Anyone tired of this Part 1 of finales to movie series?

So anyway, how does Mockingjay part 1 fare? I heard the book was not too good.

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

RR529

I just finished watching Noah (DVD), and to be honest, I'm not sure who this movie is for.

It's definitely not for the people looking for an acurate portrayal of the story of how it was told in the Bible (which I knew going in), but it's so dark & heavy that I also can't see it being a good pick for those just looking for a fun special effects movie (not that there weren't a couple of awe inspiring scenes, like when God created the forest, but they were too few).

If you're looking for a good religious production, I'd advise you to look to The Bible miniseries, or The Ten Commandments. If you're looking for just a fun special effects movie... well, look anywhere but here.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

the_shpydar

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

Anyone tired of this Part 1 of finales to movie series?

Meh, it's just a marketing thing — studios think audiences are idiots, and want to make sure that people know that, for example, the two Mockingjay movies are adapted from the same book — it doesn't bother me.

Though i would prefer if they just titled the films independently, rather than slapping the "Part 1" and "Part 2" moniker on them.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

CanisWolfred

Watched the new and old King Kings back to back. I'm surprised to say they weren't as different as I expected...I think in the end, Peter Jackson, as good an action director as he is, should not have been the one handling the remake...a lot of the filmography made it a little too intense and poorly paced, and, ironically, the 1933 movie had a better portrayal of the natives than the 2005 one...

I felt the beginning was better in Peter Jackson's though - the characters seemed more developed and believable.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LaserdiscGal

CanisWolfred wrote:

Watched the new and old King Kings back to back. I'm surprised to say they weren't as different as I expected...I think in the end, Peter Jackson, as good an action director as he is, should not have been the one handling the remake...a lot of the filmography made it a little too intense and poorly paced, and, ironically, the 1933 movie had a better portrayal of the natives than the 2005 one...

I felt the beginning was better in Peter Jackson's though - the characters seemed more developed and believable.

I think you mean King Kong not King Kings, I was confused for a moment.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

CanisWolfred

For a second there, I thought somebody actually replied to a movie comment I made with something insightful. Yet you crushed my dreams!

But seriously, I can't type on this iPad...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LaserdiscGal

CanisWolfred wrote:

For a second there, I thought somebody actually replied to a movie comment I made with something insightful. Yet you crushed my dreams!

But seriously, I can't type on this iPad...

Lol as much as I love the classic (though King Kong vs. Godzilla is a far better film) the Peter Jackson remake is both amazing in terms of style and acting. Yes I agree the natives were a little, uh, over done(?) but overall they were less important in the remake anyhow. The only character that didn't really fit into the remake was Jack Black, but even he gave it his all and was more comic relief than anything.

I will say I'm very interested in the new remake/spinoff titled Skull Island- what's your thoughts on that?

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

CanisWolfred

That's the thing, I really liked that the natives were (more) important in the original. There was no reason the turn them into zombie-like savage cannibals. That doesn't even make sense. I mean, the original didn't make much more likeable, but at least their actions were more believable.

But yes, the acting and casting was great in the remake.

And I...never heard of Skull Island until you said it. ^_^;

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

I watched the Monuments Men on Encore HD On Demand, today.

I do like myself a good WWII film from time to time, and this one was definitely unique. It's based on the true story of a group of elderly scholars who voluntarily took part in a mission to save art stolen by the Nazis, since the army couldn't spare any of their own men to do it.

It's up there with Saving Mr. Banks as probably the best movie I've seen so far this year.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

DiscoDriver43

Seen Madagascar 3 last night. It was a pretty fun movie withstanding the stupid italian seal and i honestly think it is a better film than Brave ever was. course, Wreck it Ralph was better than both. It should have won best animated picture that year, not Brave

Edited on by DiscoDriver43

Rocketraccoon

Blue Jasmine

Cate Blanchett got a well deserved Oscar.

"Mom! I'm ready for school!"

HollywoodHogan

I watched Joe Dirt a few days ago

Friend to all SJW's

DiscoDriver43

Fast and the Furious 7, oh boy, man i love this movie. It is like so crazy. It at times seems like a cartoon disguised as a live action film at times.

Tasuki

Finally saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and I really enjoyed it. The only thing I didn't like was that they didn't say what happened to Caesar's human father.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

RR529

No matter whether you have 70's, 80's, or 90's nostalgia, there's a blockbuster movie or two for you this year.

70's nostalgia: Relieve the tense monents of Earthquake with the release of San Andreas, or your childlike awe of watching Star Wars: a New Hope with the release of Star Wars: the Force Awakens.

80's nostalgia: Get creeped out by the Poltergeist remake, hang out with Arnold in Terminator Genysis, witness the end of the world with Mad Max: Fury Road, or you can catch Star Wars: the Force Awakens (you know, because the original series ended in the 80's).

90's nostalgia: Take another trip to the park with Jurassic World, or...
blast off into space with Star Wars: the Force Awakens (if you're young enough to have started with Star Wars: the Phantom Menace, like myself).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

DiscoDriver43

Snake's on a plane is very cheesy and very stupid, but Samuel Jackson saves it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic