Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 341 to 360 of 6,568

irken004

I'll be seeing Wolfman sometime soon after its release. The Crazies looks good too.

Wildvine53

Got my tickets for Percy Jackson midnight showing, this week is going to go by so slow

Wildvine53

3DS Friend Code: 2878-9589-2016 | Nintendo Network ID: Wildvine53

y2josh

@Wildvine53: What did you think of Percy. I liked it a whole lot better than Harry Potter myself.

Brooklyn's finest looks like its going to be an amazing movie.

y2josh

grenworthshero

Magi wrote:

Any word on Book of Eli or Legion? The Crazies is coming out soon too...

I saw Book of Eli; it was not what I thought it was going to be, but it was really good.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

Ravage

Yeah, I thought The Book of Eli was really good. Plenty of action and a good story, something a lot of movies are missing.

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.

Magi

I saw Legion at the theater. It was "meh". Seemed like a great idea. I didn't even have a problem with the actors (except for that Fast N Furious: Tokyo Drift dude). I can't quite put my finger on what it was missing, but it could have been so much more. 6/10 and rated mostly for what it COULD/SHOULD have been.

Magi

Wildvine53

@y2josh Percy Jackson was awesome, I liked it alot more than Harry Potter. After my brother and I saw it, we took all of our cousins to see it, It is so good

Wildvine53

StarBoy91

Anyone here have any thoughts on how the new Alice in Wonderland movie that's coming to theatres this Friday is gonna be? Looks interesting.

To each their own

Aviator

StarBoy91 wrote:

Anyone here have any thoughts on how the new Alice in Wonderland movie that's coming to theatres this Friday is gonna be? Looks interesting.

Its gonna be awesome and I shall tell why. 1. Tim Burton. 2. Helena Bonham-Carter. 3. Johnny Depp.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Wildvine53

Ponyo was so cute! if you haven't seen Ponyo I definitely recommend seeing it right away

Wildvine53

The_Fox

Aviator wrote:

StarBoy91 wrote:

Its gonna be awesome and I shall tell why. 1. Tim Burton 3. Johnny Depp.

Counterpoint: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005). You usually can't go wrong with those two, but that remake was terrible and devoid of charm.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Percentful

The+Fox wrote:

Aviator wrote:

StarBoy91 wrote:

Counterpoint: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005). You usually can't go wrong with those two, but that remake was terrible and devoid of charm.

Well, at least it was better than the first Charlie and the Chocolate Factory [it was called Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory].

Just let it happen.

3DS Friend Code: 5026-4947-0924 | Nintendo Network ID: Percentful

The_Fox

110percentful wrote:

The+Fox wrote:

Aviator wrote:

StarBoy91 wrote:

Well, at least it was better than the first Charlie and the Chocolate Factory [it was called Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory].

No it wasn't. The performance of Gene Wilder made that movie.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Ico

110percentful wrote:

The+Fox wrote:

Aviator wrote:

StarBoy91 wrote:

Are you kidding, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was not better than the original Willy Wonka, that movie's a classic, you don't know what you're talking about. The fact is Tim Burton makes terrible remakes. Chocolate Factory, Planet of the Apes, now Wonderland. He's best when he's making up his own stuff like Edward Scissorhands and The Nightmare Before Christmas. Even then, personally, I don't think he's made a good movie since Sleepy Hollow in 1999. That's 11 years of bad movies, imo. So my hopes aren't up for this. Besides, his dark worlds don't fit with the vibrant, colorful worlds depicted by Lewis Carol or depicted by the classic Disney animated movie. I just looks ugly. I don't like Tim Burton's twisted sense of design unless it's in a gothic story. Alice in Wonderland is not a gothic story.

Edited on by Ico

Ico

Magi

The+Fox wrote:

Aviator wrote:

StarBoy91 wrote:

Hey I liked that movie.

Magi

Percentful

Ico wrote:

110percentful wrote:

The+Fox wrote:

Aviator wrote:

StarBoy91 wrote:

Are you kidding, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was not better than the original Willy Wonka, that movie's a classic, you don't know what you're talking about. The fact is Tim Burton makes terrible remakes. Chocolate Factory, Planet of the Apes, now Wonderland. He's best when he's making up his own stuff like Edward Scissorhands and The Nightmare Before Christmas. Even then, personally, I don't think he's made a good movie since Sleepy Hollow in 1999. That's 11 years of bad movies, imo. So my hopes aren't up for this. Besides, his dark worlds don't fit with the vibrant, colorful worlds depicted by Lewis Carol or depicted by the classic Disney animated movie. I just looks ugly. I don't like Tim Burton's twisted sense of design unless it's in a gothic story. Alice in Wonderland is not a gothic story.

I guess I see what you're saying, but my PERSONAL PREFERENCE is the new one.Have you ever heard of this thing called an opinion? Most people are allowed to have one. Also, let me specify why I liked the new one better. First of all, the Oompa Loompas don't look like mutant elves who attach bricks to their waists. Secondly, for the most part, it followed the book much better [except for Willy wonka himself].
Oh, if you've read the book, you appreciate the remake much more.

Edited on by Percentful

Just let it happen.

Percentful

Oh, and as for Alice in Wonderland, I think Tim Burton is perfect for it. He makes quirky films, and that is EXACTLY how to describe the book. Also, he's bound to follow the book better than Disney. Disney makes classics, but they also add things. For instance: Tarzan-one of my favorite movies. In the book, it's much different than the movie. Tarzan's father is killed by the ape leader, the she-ape is killed by a tribe of natives, Tarzan pulls pranks on the natives, Clayton is Tarzan's cousin, and Tarzan travels to Jane's homeland after she leaves only to find out that she is engaged to Clayton. Not exactly as happy as the movie, is it?

Just let it happen.

Ico

110percentful wrote:

Ico wrote:

110percentful wrote:

The+Fox wrote:

Aviator wrote:

StarBoy91 wrote:

I guess I see what you're saying, but my PERSONAL PREFERENCE is the new one.Have you ever heard of this thing called an opinion? Most people are allowed to have one. Also, let me specify why I liked the new one better. First of all, the Oompa Loompas don't look like mutant elves who attach bricks to their waists. Secondly, for the most part, it followed the book much better [except for Willy wonka himself].
Oh, if you've read the book, you appreciate the remake much more.

The truth is the book isn't that great literature. It was a case of the movie surpassing the source material mainly because of Gene Wilder's performance. Johnny Depp just did a Michael Jackson impression. I don't recall the book ever involving a Michael Jackson impression. And like I said before, Burton can't do colorful, it always comes off as just garish or subdued in his movies. He's only good for movies fitting within a gothic subtext. Alice in Wonderland is NOT a gothic story. Poe is gothic.

Edited on by Ico

Ico

Percentful

Ico wrote:

The truth is the book isn't that great literature. It was a case of the movie surpassing the source material mainly because of Gene Wilder's performance. Johnny Depp just did a Michael Jackson impression. I don't recall the book ever involving a Michael Jackson impression.

Did you seriously just say that? Methinks you don't know what great literature is. Also, did you not read my comment that the Willy wonka in the original fit the book better?

Just let it happen.

Ico

110percentful wrote:

Ico wrote:

The truth is the book isn't that great literature. It was a case of the movie surpassing the source material mainly because of Gene Wilder's performance. Johnny Depp just did a Michael Jackson impression. I don't recall the book ever involving a Michael Jackson impression.

Did you seriously just say that? Methinks you don't know what great literature is. Also, did you not read my comment that the Willy wonka in the original fit the book better?

I do know what great literature is. Salinger, Fitzgerald, Steinbeck, Asimov, Orwell, Poe, Hemingway. Roald Dahl is not great literature. He wrote some stories that some children like and that's about it, none of it means anythings, literature is artistically supposed to mean something. Even Dr. Seuss managed to fit meaning into his childrens tales. But this isn't a literature thread, it's a movie thread, and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was better than the book and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was worse than all.

Edited on by Ico

Ico

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic