Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,761 to 1,780 of 6,555

jump

I've just watched the new Borat movie, it's a good laugh. I was watching the first 20/30 mins and thought it was just doing the same jokes as the last one but I was surprised they actually put in a narrative including a (stupid) plot twist which I actually didn't see coming. Plus there’s some genuinely touching moments in it from the people being pranked which I wasn’t expecting.

It do wonder if the movie changed from concept to the finished product as COIVD which is a part of the film wasn't happening when some of the scenes were shot.

On the plus side as coivd is limiting almost everyone to be inside now I don't have to listen to bad Borat impressions everywhere like last time.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

WoomyNNYes

Sleepy Hallow (1999) Johnny Depp.

Crown for Christmas on Hallmark channel 🤪😁😺 (I know hallmark channel movies are corny as hell, and creepily homogeneous, but this one is pretty good. Danica Mckellar💖)

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Vinny

What are some good WW2 movies about the north african and sicilian campaigns?

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

jump

@WoomyNNYes I don’t really see it as a sci-fi movie myself, it’s a really a romance flick if you’re looking to stick it into a specific genre. Like most of Guillermo del Toro movies he takes most of his influences come from fantasy and horror as opposed to sci-fi.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

RR529

The movies I watched over the long Christmas weekend.

A Christmas Story (TNT) - Annual re-watch as part of the family Christmas festivities. Just a nice bit of nostalgia. Interestingly, I recently learned that they accidentally gave Peter Billingsly (the actor who played Ralphie) actual chewing tobacco during the scene where he was fantasizing about using the air rifle to save his family from burglars. It made him really sick, which caused the director to chew out the prop guy. They redid the scene with crushed up raisins and let Billingsly keep the gun.

Elf (DVD) - Another annual re-watch. It's always good fun, and believe it or not features one of my favorite romances in movies. I remember when it was brand new & a modern Christmas classic, but it's culturally starting to show it's age with the CRT TVs & VCR reference (it makes me feel old, lol).

Halloween (Blu-Ray) - Yes, you read that right. I actually bought this to watch around the titular holiday, but never got around to it until now (better late than never). It's actually a pretty slow film & not nearly as bloody as I expected, but the soundtrack was great at keeping me at the edge of my seat the entire time, and it was cool how the camera work made it feel like you were the one stalking the film's characters (and sometimes you were in that perspective!).

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (DVD) - Another traditional viewing. Great mix of comedy & heartwarming moments, with many classic scenes.

The Polar Express (DVD) - Another traditional watch. I always really like this one for the sense of adventure & somewhat more actiony feel, which is different for a Christmas movie. The CGI is definitely starting to show it's age, though.

The Warrior Queen (Prime Video) - Got one of those pillow/tablet stand hybrids for the big day, so decided to curl up & watch something on the small screen, which ended up being this schlocky 80's sword & sandal film. The wife of the Roman emperor shows up to Pompeii and is apparently upset with how the city's female slaves are being treated and decides to help them out, or something (it really doesn't seem to have much plot going on, as it's really just an excuse for some exploitative nudity, softcore sex/rape scenes, and poor action sequences). It does end up with some sort of Gladiatorial games that involve fatal renditions of arm wrestling, frisbee (no, seriously), and a pretty inventive sequence involving the combatants swinging on ropes over a death pit and trying to knock each other into it (though it doesn't have near the budget to really do the concept justice). Naturally it ends with much stock footage of erupting volcanoes, and people running around collapsing sets with shaky cam (and where all the bad guys get theirs). Not quite as terrible as the Deathstalker films.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

WoomyNNYes

@RR529 I watch Miracle on 34th Street (1947) every Christmas Eve. And I used to like to fall asleep to Polar Express. I've got digital copies of my favorite Christmas movies/shows. A few Good Eats christmas episodes. Also watch Christmas Time in South Park - the collection of South Park Christmas episodes. My faves are Red Sleigh Down, and Merry Christmas Charlie Manson.

'Tendo liker

WoomyNNYes

@RR529 Did you ever try Netflix's The Christmas Chronicles? The first 15-20 min are slow, but once they find Santa, it's a darn good movie. Kurt Russell is great as Santa.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

GilbertXI

Got around to watching Interstellar, great movie, TARS is my favorite character.

GilbertXI

GilbertXI

@Vinny This is extremely late, but the movie Patton might be up your alley. It has a slow pacing, but a very enjoyable movie. Maybe Desert Fox too, but the plot moves like a...um...tank.

GilbertXI

jedgamesguy

I implore you to watch Inception, especially @GilbertXI considering you watched Interstellar! Come on TARS... come on TARS! "No Time For Caution" is an absolutely mad song. Consider that the tempo is at 60BPM, so one beat happens every second. And the Endurance spacecraft has 12 pods, and is shaped like a clock. And that most of the film involves time dilation, because of the effects of the black hole. Like on Miller's planet when Romilly waits for his team for 23 years, because of the 7 years per hour dilation.

Now onto my movie: Inception!

My English class analysed a movie over three classes, and I intensely pressured my teacher to put on Inception. We watched nearly the entire movie, and rewatching it (as is common with Christopher Nolan movies) was extremely helpful when it came to developing my knowledge of the movie. I got to pick apart the cinematography, the score (one of Hans Zimmer's best of all time), and overarching themes and character developments. The ideas presented in this film are absolutely mind-blowing, and the ending scene is a massive injection of absolute catharsis.

I wrote for this class, about the score, which I feel is a key element of the film: "I notice a trend with the soundtrack; in reality Hans Zimmer utilises more orchestral elements, and in the dream world he uses synths, and electronic sounds. Whenever the state of the world is ambiguous, Zimmer blends both in a techno orchestral style. At the end of the movie the song “Time” starts with strings, adds horns, and then an electric guitar as the final shot of the film plays, which involves the spinning totem. It’s a harmonious blend of both styles of music, and the ending is set up to be highly ambiguous, backed up by the style of the music, which is again, a blend of orchestra, and electronic. A second trend is that the real-world music tends to be much slower than the dream music, mostly because there’s fast-paced combat, not only hand to hand, but also ranged, with a lot of gunfights. There’s also a lot of high octane scenes, like a car chase, a ski chase, a fight on walls and ceilings, and multiple time constraints too."

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

jump

@theJGG Personally I reckon having to re-watch Nolan movies is more of a flaw with Nolan than it's due to his high concept nature of his films. Like a 22min episode of Rick & Morty better explains more sci-fi concepts than Nolan explains the one concept in a 2-3 hour film.

Don't get me wrong Nolan is a great director but it really bugs me how sloppy he is at times. I was watching Tenet the other day and it's the same thing, an interesting concept on time travel but as it was poorly explaining the rules of how the movie works I spent too much time explaining to my girlfriend what was going on as we watched it.

Nicolai wrote:

jedgamesguy

@jump I agree. Tenet was the first Nolan film where I had almost zero understanding of the concept. In theory I knew what reverse entropy was but the way it was applied and explained, it felt like you had to be a Mensa member to even remotely get it.

I have to say for all of Nolan’s genius Tenet for me was a work he fell short in. And I’m a bit sad Hans Zimmer wasn’t available for Tenet, despite some cool moments Ludwig Göransson was just not enjoyable. The soundtrack was just noise, and this is coming from someone who played Xenoblade X, a game IGN said had a soundtrack of noise.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

jump

@Zuljaras I thought the flick was good expect for how she technically rapes someone and there’s no issue with the situation until something happens to her. CGI Cheetah was a mess which is a shame as I thought Wigg was doing a great job til then. To me it’s the the same as the first flick where there’s some good ideas but not executed as good as it needed to be.

@theJGG I’m not really a fan of Zimmer and Nolan together, you score overwhelms the actual film but when I watch Zimmers score in other films he’s fine.

I think the Nolan not to explaining the film well applies to all of his films and not just Tenet. Tenet is just the worse as the marketing didn’t prepare it as well as they did with say Inception or Interstellar. I remember watching the trailer and it was going on about it’s a spy with the power of the word of “Tenet” so I wasn’t expecting the time travel stuff, I had no issue following it though.

Nicolai wrote:

jump

@Zuljaras Just gonna put it in spoilers as I'm gonna go into detail as it's only just come out so not everyone who may want to watch it has seen it yet.

Yeah, they literally have no issue with Steve Trevor taking over someone else's body to come back. So that guy's consciousness disappears, he looks like the other guy and not Steve (as Chris Pine on screen is just for the audience), they have sex despite it not being Steve's body (imagine saying if a girl doesn't consent but doesn't remember it's not an issue) which they are fine with but as soon as her powers start going it's an issue which needs to be corrected.

It's meant to be more of an silver age classic clean cut super hero adventure who believes in love, peace etc rather than punching the baddie so I had trouble reconciling that with what happens on screen as she didn't care until there's a consequence to herself.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

jedgamesguy

@jump That was super creepy for me. It made all the interactions feel super disingenuous and fake.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Zuljaras

@jump I really don't see the issue if this happened to a male or female.

Is this really an issue? Or you are referring to it being an issue because they did it to a male but they will not do it to a female?

jump

@Zuljaras

I had issue with it as it shows inconsideration from the most considerate superhero that they don't care about the person who Chris Pine's body belongs to in general with the literal sex without consent is the exclamation point to it.

It's effectively not much difference to someone having sex with someone else who has passed out at a party and they don't know. If at the scene at the end of the movie when the guy get's his body back and says Hi to Wonder Woman on the street imagine if she then told him I had sex with you but you don't remember so its fine.

It's a problem they wrote themselves into as it would been as easy to write that he has his own body back, the only thing I can think that they would want them to have it this way is so they can have the shot of a stranger coming up to Wonder Woman and then her realizing it's Steve.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic