Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,641 to 1,660 of 6,550

WoomyNNYes

If anyone liked The Fifth Element, I recommend Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. It's by the same director, the art design & effects have a strong Fifth Element feel, which is good. I don't think it's as good as The Fifth Element, but I still thought it was a good watch. I watched it twice. I'd watch it again if it's on TV.

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

RR529

Weird Science (Blu-Ray) - 80's teen comedy that sees a couple of high school buddies (Wyatt & Gary) go from dweebs to cool after they inadvertently create a reality bending beauty named Lisa (when simply trying to create a female AI on Wyatt's computer in order to practice speaking to girls), who uses her powers to help them climb the latter of popularity.

It's 80's culture distilled into it's purest form (cheesy, neon infused, with a wide eyed wonder at the unlimited possibilities of computers), and while it may not be a movie that'll stand the test of time, I've always found it to be a fun watch.

Interesting to note that they really went all out with the special features. In addition to all the standard stuff (production photos, theatrical, televesion, & even radio ads, all sorts of commentary), it even has high definition scans of it's various film posters, VHS boxes, DVD boxes, & Blu-Ray boxes from throughout the years, and even regions. It even has a digital copy of the film's script!

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

This morning I watched Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance (Blu-Ray).

The second film in the Evangelion remake line, it's animated just as beautifully as the first (in addition to the stunning action sequences, I really enjoy the scenery shots, especially those that center on Tokyo III "waking up" or readying for combat). While it still mostly retells the events of the TV series at this point, major deviations are starting to show themselves such as a completely new Eva pilot, the changing of a pilot during a major accident, and that out of this world finale! After this point it'll be all new to me as I haven't yet seen 3.33, and am interested in seeing how this plays out.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

WoomyNNYes

@RR529 Regarding Weird Science, "You're abslutely right, Chet! You're abslutely right!" : P

(misspelled absolutely because gary drunk slurs in that part)

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

RR529

@Woomy_NNYes, I'm quite suprised how much attention my Weird Science writeup has gotten! It started a little discussion between another poster & myself over on Push Square, and with you replying here it's one of the few times one of my writeups gets any sort of comment here at NL, so thanks for that. It's just not the kind of movie I'd think would be particularly likely to start a discussion.

Anyhow, I think my favorite line revolves around when Chet is threatening Wyatt because it was snowing in his room, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

MsJubilee

I watched Mandy recently going to start by saying the film looked phenomenal. The colors, music, and lighting set the mood so well, so stylish and gorgeous. Good job, director. But the story is barebones; it's just a simple revenge plot. Fits well with the movie and Nicholas Cage acting. Speaking of Nicholas Cage, he was also great in this, didn't talk much(which is a shame), but the director used cage to the best of his abilities. Going have to say this movie is polarizing, you're going to love it, or you're going to hate it. There is no in-between. I loved it even with its flaws.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

RR529

Rambo: Last Blood (DVD) - Watched this with the family last night.

After seemingly finally settling down, living his days out at a scenic ranch near the southern US border, the titular action hero must come out of retirement whenever his adopted niece (Gabrielle) is kidnapped by a sex trafficking cartel while on a trip to Mexico in search of her dead beat dad, and he takes it upon himself to kick some butt & bring her back.

If you can get over the fact that the man is in his 60's (70's?) at this point, it can be a thrilling (albiet dark & very gruesome) action flick. Not something that'll win any awards (in fact the critics seemed to despise it, largely due to political reasons based on some I read, with a metascore in the 20's, in comparison to it's user score in the 70's), but it's not a bad way to spend an afternoon/evening inside.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Heavyarms55

@Vinny Batman TAS is superb! Western animation at perhaps it's absolute peak and a wonderful example of how to make a kids show that's truly enjoyable for anyone. I loved it as a kid and loved the animated universe it led into, with the Superman show and then the Justice League and Batman Beyond. And Static Shock too! I used to wake up early every Saturday morning to watch them on Kids WB, along with some Japanese shows like Pokemon and Yugioh. It's probably why I grew up much more of an anime fan than a fan of western live action.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Zeldafan79

@RR529
I still need to check that one out! Loved Rambo 4! I just don't like what they did to his hair in last blood. Where's the classic mullet?

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

WaffleKnight

Recently rewatched The Lord of the Rings in its entirety. A fantastic fantasy trilogy that I will never stop enjoying.

Verbose edgelord.

Playing NO MAN'S SKY.

Vinny

Heavyarms55 wrote:

@Vinny Batman TAS is superb! Western animation at perhaps it's absolute peak and a wonderful example of how to make a kids show that's truly enjoyable for anyone. I loved it as a kid and loved the animated universe it led into, with the Superman show and then the Justice League and Batman Beyond. And Static Shock too! I used to wake up early every Saturday morning to watch them on Kids WB, along with some Japanese shows like Pokemon and Yugioh. It's probably why I grew up much more of an anime fan than a fan of western live action.

I used to watch these too! I was pretty cool to see it was a shared universe.
BTAS and Superman weren't being aired during the early to mid 2000s over here anymore (on regular, non cable TV, at least).
But I really can't complain, as most of the cartoons airing back then were DC ones.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

RR529

47 Meters Down: Uncaged (DVD) - What I'm assuming is a direct to video sequel to 47 Meters Down (which my father thought he was ordering. I'm guessing the Uncaged bit threw him off and he thought it was marketing wording for an "unrated" version of the original, rather than a sequel).

Anyhow it's a shark movie that sees a foursome of teenaged girls decide to get into mischief by scuba diving into underwater Mayan ruins (the father of a couple of the girls is an archaeologist, and they knew where his team left some of their gear), and once an accident closes their way out, they must make their way through the dangerous labyrinthine ruins to find another exit, all the while their air is running out and they're hunted by a shark that calls the ruins it's home.

It's very much a horror b-movie with all that entails (the obviously bad decisions, an extended scene of young girls/women splashing around in almost nothing, albeit with no nudity, a bad CGI shark(s) that gobbles people up in surprise, bloody attacks). While the location is kinda neat, overall it's just okay. The type of thing you'll know whether or not you'll like just based on it's premise/description.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Vinny

Just realized I watched most Vietnam War movies these last years: Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, We Were Soldiers, Platoon, Hamburger Hill...

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

RR529

License to Kill (Blu-Ray) - The next Bond film in line, it's the second (and last) of the Dalton era films, as well as the last one of the 80's.

While in the US attending the wedding of a friend (and DEA agent), things go wrong when his friend is mutilated (and his wife killed) at the hands of a powerful Colombian drug lord. Ignoring orders to "stay out of the Americans' problem" and return to England, he officially renounces his position and goes rouge to seek revenge for his friend.

I tend to prefer the entries that focus more on the Cold War era tensions between the West & the Soviets (like For Your Eyes Only & the Living Daylights), but I have to say I liked this one almost as much as those, and moreso than Octopussy & A View to a Kill. It's just a well made action thriller that hits the right tone most of the time (and I quite liked the aerial scenes). If there was any weak point, it was the Hong Kong agent ninjas. They were in and out so quick, yet the female ninja featured prominently in the opening music video, I can't help but think they were written out of a larger role.

Anyhow, I'll be off to Goldeneye next.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Vinny

I'm watching this very surreal and surprisingly funny late 2000s cartoon called The Misadventures of Flapjack.

RR529

The other day I caught Independence Day: Resurgence on TV. I was working (at home) during the time it was on so I couldn't give it my undivided attention, but I thought it was alright for what it was.

It's biggest problem seemed to be that it leaned on nostalgia for the original a little too much (a few scenes seemed to be lifted wholesale, just now in even bigger scale), and while I believe the original was a technical showpiece for it's era (even amongst other blockbusters), Resurgence comes across as just another in the pile.

Still, it was nice seeing some faces on the big screen you don't see much anymore, and works for an afternoon of dumb fun.

@Vinny, I think I remember that being on around the time I stopped watching daytime Cartoon Network. Never realized it got a movie.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Vinny

@RR529 Oh, no. I'm posting it on the movie thread but it's the cartoon itself, haha (I think there was an animation thread but there wasn't a lot of activity). There was no movie.

RR529

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (Blu-Ray) - The second of the prequel trilogy, it's part of my ongoing quest to watch through the series in earnest (which I haven't really done, at least not in a long time).

It does have it's weak points, such as it's over reliance on CGI (though being newer, I think it looked a bit better than Episode I in this regard), and it doesn't necessarily have it's own self contained narrative (instead acting more as the set up for the next entry), but I still enjoyed watching it.

I liked the "car chase" segment in Corsucant (while some may find it silly, I actually liked seeing the brief glimpses into "regular life" here, whether it be the night club Anakin & Obi-Wan hunt down the assassin in, or the 50's style diner staffed by aliens. Usually our heroes are either on the front lines or on the run in derelict parts of the galaxy, so it's a side of this universe you don't often see), the scene where Obi-Wan is chasing Jango Fett through that asteroid belt, and the final battle was pretty cool too (especially since it's rare to see so many Jedi active at once).

It was tonally a bit darker than Episode I (a sign of what's to come), but still had a key amount of cheesiness to balance the whole experience out.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

urrutiap

The other day I watched the Directors Cut version of Little Shop of Horrors. Audreys death was sad pretty much.

Then i went back to watching the regular original theatrical version of the movie and watched the regular ending.

Me, I prefer the regular ending where they beat Audrey II

urrutiap

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic