Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,641 to 1,659 of 1,659

RR529

Universal Soldier (Amazon Instant Video) - 90's action flick starring Jean-Claude Van Damme & Dolph Lundgren as Vietnam War soldiers who, after killing each other during the war, are brought back to life in a clandestine government program to create super soldiers, but things don't go quite as planned when the two start regaining their memories.

It's not art by any stretch of the imagination, but there's just something fun about all the cheesy machismo, overdesigned super soldier uniforms, and explosions to turn your mind off to.

@Silly_G, apparently Cruise refused to do it unless they didn't use any CGI, so we'll see.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

RR529

Species (Amazon Prime Video) - 90's sci-fi thriller/horror that sees government splice alien DNA into a human embryo (after they recieved a message from space detailing how to do so), and after the young girl rapidly ages into an adult and escapes the government facility, they must stop her from breeding with a human male before she can give birth to alien babies that could wipe out humanity.

It's alright. Her alien form was designed by the artist behind Alien's xenomorphs, so she looked like a slightly more human xenomorph, now with boobs, when in her true form. Overall the plot just seemed like an opportunity for lots of nude scenes (there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I really didn't think the film was really special otherwise).

Of course, the fact that the resolution constsntly fluctuated certainly didn't help my enjoyment of it. It routinely dropped just under HD resolution (just getting a little fuzzyness about it for a few minutes before recovering), and a few times absolutely tanked into a blurry mess. Especially during the climax (once they went into the sewer it tanked for the longest periods, and even during recovery periods never quite got back up to HD). I expect this from Netflix (which does this to me every once in awhile), but I've never had Amazon do it to me before and I'm really disappointed in them. This is really starting to put me off streaming, and outside of exclusive series, I think I may start buying all my films physical.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

BougieBeetle

@RR529 I have a soft spot for that flick. It really toes the line between a real movie and trashy shlock. There's a lot of great actors too, like Ben Kingsley and Alfred Molina. Haven't seen any of the sequels but I assume they're terrible.

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

RR529

@BougieBeetle, yeah, I can see that. I didn't think it was bad, just a bit average. I probably would have enjoyed it a bit more too if it weren't for the aforementioned streaming issues.

On that note, I just ordered a bunch of Blu-Rays from Walmart, so I should be set for the next month - month & a half when it comes to movies (so no more streaming purchases).

• The Wolverine - I actually like the newer X-Men films, and I've been wanting to see this since it's set in Japan (as a plus, it also comes with the 3D version, which I should be able to watch on my PSVR).
  • National Lampoon's Vacation - I enjoy all the Vacation films (except for the reboot) and tend to find myself watching them when they're on, so this was a no brainer. Plus, I won't have to worry about the TV censorship.
  • For Your Eyes Only - I like 80's-90's era bond films, so I figured I'll start buying them all from that era.
  • Oblivion - This isn't one that's talked about much, but I always find myself really getting into this sci-fi Tom Cruise flick whenever it's on, so I might as well own it.

Of course, as always I'll post detailed thoughts on them when I get to watching them.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

cheetahman91

Been going through a bunch of ‘80s sci-fi the past few days and my latest was The Terminator. One of my favorites in any genre. Think I’ll watch Tron tonight.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Nintendolife Chatroom
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

Woomy_NNYes

@cheetahman91
If you haven't seen Tron Legacy, i recommend it, especially if you have a decent sound system - the a Daft Punk soundtrack is impressive.

Splatoon 2 - Usually play turf war, sometimes salmon run.
FC:
SW-5453-2229-5124 (level 97 & all other games)
SW-2689-6138-5686 (2nd splatoon profile)
Usr:Anderiah
eastern US.
Cough! (patiently waiting for A Hat in Time)

BougieBeetle

@RR529, I love Oblivion! Very underrated movie. It's the kind of original big budget script idea that just doesn't get made that much anymore.

@Woomy_NNYes, I agree, Tron Legacy is great. I never understood all the negative reviews for that movie, I think it's very watchable and very entertaining, and yeah the music is a big highlight.

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

botk

finally signed up for netflix. can anyone recommend any good films on there? i tend to like drama / thriller type movies.

botk

RR529

National Lampoon's Vacation (Blu-Ray) - Required summertime viewing as far as I'm concerned. As someone whose family used to take annual roadtrips up to Minnesota, so much of this film feels so relatable.

Granted, I'm not a fan of how they handled Edna's death, or rather Clark's reaction to it (he just seems like too much of a butt during this scene, and is hard to empathize with him here), but the rest of the film is just so much fun. Anything that can go wrong does go wrong, and unlike many modern raunch comedies that either overly rely on the F-Bomb way too much and/or get cartoonishly goofy, it usually stays just grounded enough to be believable, which makes it all the better, IMO.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

BougieBeetle

@botk watch Jackie Brown. Quentin Tarintino's third (and if you ask me, best) movie. It's his most normal movie, it doesn't have all the racial slurs and hyper violence. What it does have is an amazing script adapted from an Elmore Leonard novel, amazing acting (Sam Jackson's best bar none), an incredible soundtrack, and just mesmerizing cinematography. Truly one of the best.

Yesterday I watched On the Waterfront for the first time. I'm surprised I avoided such a classic for so long. I guess I never realized how much a of a gritty crime drama it is. Marlon Brando is great, all the numerous supporting actors are great. It takes some abrupt twists and turns, but on the whole I really liked it. The score is interesting. It's good, but so bombastic and invasive that it almost ruins certain moments.

jump

BougieBeetle wrote:

Jackie Brown. Quentin Tarintino's third (and if you ask me, best) movie. It's his most normal movie, it doesn't have all the racial slurs .

Actually it has the most racial slurs after only Django Unchained from him, I mean it's his take on blaxploitation so it'd be surprising if he didn't. It's one of the films Spike Lee brings up when moaning about Tarantino's racism.

Good film tho, it has some pacing issues but it's still very much worth a watch.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

BougieBeetle

@jump Well I think it ties with Hateful Eight for second most n-words behind Django, but that's not saying much, lol. They don't hit as hard since it's mostly coming from Samuel L. Jackson and other black characters and are not used venomously, as opposed to Django or the infamous scene from Pulp Fiction and etc. And of course there's numerous slurs against other races in other films of his.

Anyway, I don't mean to get all technical about who swore how much where, Jackie Brown is a fantastic movie, folks.

RR529

The Wolverine Extended Cut (Blu-Ray) - Film that sees the popular X-Men character travelling to Japan to say goodbye to a friend on their deathbed, a former WWII Japanese soldier turned leader of the most powerful business conglomerate in Japan, but things don't go as planned when a variety of forces target the man's granddaughter (and company heir), and Wolverine is dragged into the mess (all while his healing factor is failing him).

I actually quite enjoyed this one. It's not a transformative film, but the action is visceral & has a satisfying meatiness to it that it seems the MCU films are missing (I quite enjoyed the fight on the bullet train & the final battle with Silver Samurai), it seems to have fun with the Japanese setting (across the neon lit streets of Tokyo, snowy mountain villages, and the tropical setting of southern Japan, wolverine finds himself up against all the staples of Japanese pop-culture in terms of Yakuza, Ninja, and even a small scale Mecha), and it makes great use of color.

I know Fox's X-Men films are often hit & miss, but I'm actually going to miss them now that Marvel has the license back (it'll probably be for the best, but still).

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

iKhan

I think Fox gets an excessively bad rap for the X-men films.

Pretty much everything made between First Class and Logan was really good, with the exception of Apocalypse, which, IMO wasn't nearly as bad as the critics made it out to be.

I'm really going to miss the edge that the Fox films had. They weren't afraid to make you hurt. They weren't afraid to make a death real and permanent. DOFP remains in my top 3 favorite superhero movies with the likes of Spider-man 2 and The Dark Knight. And Logan is just so damn soul crushing.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

RR529

For Your Eyes Only (Blu-Ray) - Releasing in 1980, it's the first 80's entry in the long running Bond series, and this entry sees the famous super spy seeking out a device that can control Britain's nuclear sub fleet, after the spy ship in which it was located is sunk. He'll have to act fast though, as a Soviet linked criminal organization is after it as well.

• I really quite enjoyed the more deliberate pacing of the film, which was a nice change of pace from the thrill a minute pace modern action/adventure films tend to have. This really gave you the time to appreciate all the locales, and I really thought all the underwater scenes, as well as the scenic mountains where the bad guy's lair were located, were quite beautiful (especially at Blu-Ray quality).
  • The action scenes were good fun, and all the more impressive that they were handled by real stuntmen & physical props (I really want to recognize the opening helicopter scene, and the ski resort chase).
  • Think what you will of me, but I like seeing what they were able to get away with in terms of sexual content in these old PG & PG-13 films, whether they did it intentionally, if they just didn't think resolution would be good enough for people to ever see it, or if things were just more relaxed on this type of content (to me it adds a sort of rawness to them that modern PG & PG-13 films don't have, as it seems like they go through them with a fine tooth comb to make sure nothing slips through), and there certainly were a few of those moments here. As one example, in one scene where our heroes are ransacking the sleeping quarters of the bad guy's henchmen, you can clearly, albiet briefly, see a couple of photos of topless women pinned to the walls, and there are a couple more moments like this as well.

Overall I really enjoyed watching this one (more than I thought I would, honestly) and can't wait to get to the other 80's, 90's, and early 00's Bond films (I plan on buying them up through the Brosnan films).

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

ScottNintendo

I recently watched Hellboy (*3/2019), Marvel End Game and Detective Pikachu.

All films I enjoyed, the only complaint was Detective Pikachu was abit short and I found it got tedious during the second half.

Otherwise I think the new actor who plays Hellboy done a better job than previous, don't really want comment on End Game because spoilers.

SN

Woomy_NNYes

Do any of you fine forum people recommend a science fiction movie that's released in the past year that's streamable? I haven't paid much attention. Something other than star wars, or a super hero movie.

Edited on by Woomy_NNYes

Splatoon 2 - Usually play turf war, sometimes salmon run.
FC:
SW-5453-2229-5124 (level 97 & all other games)
SW-2689-6138-5686 (2nd splatoon profile)
Usr:Anderiah
eastern US.
Cough! (patiently waiting for A Hat in Time)

ScottNintendo

Woomy_NNYes wrote:

Do any of you fine forum people recommend a science fiction movie that's released in the past year that's streamable? I haven't paid much attention. Something other than star wars, or a super hero movie.

The recent Blade Runner was good, stream able mostly.

SN

RR529

Oblivion (Blu-Ray) - Sci-Fi film that sees Tom Cruise in the role of Jack, a man left behind on an Earth ruined after a war between man & alien invaders. It's his job to repair the battle drones used to hunt down the remnants of the alien invaders, but when he comes across another survivor who he has dreamt about, he begins to question his reality.

• While the story doesn't quite have the same oomph after you know it's twist, it's still an interesting premise, and the ending is satisfying every time.
  • It's an absolutely stunning looking film. The Sci-Fi tech has really slick designs (even if the CG is starting to show it's age in spots), and the wide, naturalistic environment shots are gorgeous.
  • The action has a real oomph to it. I enjoy the dogfight with the drones every time, the fight at the base during the climax is intense.

Overall, while it's probably not a must watch sci-fi film, it is one I like going back to from time to time.

With that, I've finished up my first batch of Blu-Rays, and have just placed the order for my next:

• Alien - I've seen this in parts before on TV, and while I get into it each time, I've never had the chance to finish it before, so I figure it's time to change that.
  • Godzilla 1984/5 - My Japan related film in this batch. They either didn't have the other Japanese films I was looking for, or they were more expensive than I was looking for, so I settled for this. I remember my brother used to have this on Video Brick (yes, I know that's not what they're called, lol), so it'll be a bit of a nostalgia trip.
  • National Lampoon's European Vacation - I know this is the black sheep of the original Vacation films, but I still enjoy it from time to time.
  • Octopussy - The next Bond film in line. I think I enjoyed For Your Eyes Only the most out of my last batch of films, so I'm looking forward to this.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic