Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,601 to 1,612 of 1,612

Wavey84

@farrow000

Martyrs(the 2009 french original) is hands down the most disturbing movie I've ever since in all of my 34 years, at least its second half. It's considered to be part of the 4 french nasties amongst Inside (my personal favorite... the 2007 original, not the horrid remake, was incredibly atmospheric, haunting and again very disturbing), high tension(also really good) and Frontiers which I personally didn't care for too much.

Martyrs however left a dent in my psyche for weeks. It messed me up, I felt emotionally drained and horrified after experiencing it. Inside truly did a number on me as well but martyrs doubled that

Ahhh....to be in my mid 20s again, that was almost 10 years ago. The beauty of viewing movies when you're that young, its something else...these days I'm too decensitized, boarderline cynical-ish, slightly bitter and just tired of a lot of it. Sucks.

I wish I could be more vulnerable, effected, scared, feel more emotion and actually believe what I'm seeing. but I think for many, movies just become less effective the older you get unfortunately, especially in this day and age when the horrors of the world are so readly available at the click of a button. Even The F word is tossed around like trick r treats on Halloween. It has no meaning. Back in the day hearing somebody drop the f bomb in a movie was a huge deal....you'd never hear it on TV either.

Anyways, going off topic lol check out Mandy starring Nicholas cage. It's not scary but holy hell is it a trip!

Edited on by Wavey84

Wavey84

Wavey84

@RR529
Absolutely loved anoes back when I experienced it at the age of 7 in 91'....the first 20 minutes or so scared the absolute hell out if me. Tinas entire dream sequence, including her death and the build up before was when the film was easily at its best. When Freddy was lurking in the dark with his creepy playful higher pitched ghoulish laugh ect.

Be sure to check out anoes 3: dreamwarriors, it's hands thee greatest sequel in the franchise and has far better reply value than the original. It's an absolute blast!

Edited on by Wavey84

Wavey84

Wavey84

@Ralizah

I consider myself a massive fan of the slasher genre and while Halloween is top tier I'm just tired of hearing about it, the biggest gripe I have with that film was the redundant theme playing through out the movie. Completely overused. I love carpenter but he really wanted to embed that theme into viewers heads, and he succeeded. But it was just too much.

Again great slasher and it deserves all the praise it gets but it's become so vanilla and public domain just like psycho.

At this point in the game I'd rather watch any of the first Friday the 13th movies. Better yet, sleepaway camp 😆

I've always been a huge Freddy Krueger fan, followed by Jason and to a lesser extent Michael myers. The reality is Halloween had the worst sequels of the lot.

Wavey84

Ralizah

@WaveBoy Unfortunately, that's the fate of pretty much anything that becomes so iconic that its sound design and imagery becomes synonymous with the genre.

I'll have to disagree, though. It's a perfect little horror movie, and I enjoy it every time I watch it, whereas I've found I can't even sit through a Friday the 13th film without dozing off or getting distracted by something.

But then, I'm of the opinion that most films in the slasher genre are terrible are are missing the artistry that made films like Halloween and Psycho classics.

On the topic of slasher sequels... I don't disagree that Halloween fared the worst in that regard, although I will say that I think H20 is a decent film and is head-and-shoulders above most slashers I've seen. I watched ALL the films recently, and it was really striking how trashy the series got as it went on, culminating in Halloween Resurrection, one of dumbest horror films ever made (I know it's far from the last, but it's the worst, so I watched it last). As much as I hate to admit it, though, it was so bad I actually kind of enjoyed watching it.

Busta Rhymes making Bruce Lee noises and kicking The Shape through a window is one of the few times a film has ever made me laugh uncontrollably, so I'll give it that!

A Nightmare on Elm Street is another childhood favorite of mine, and while I don't see it as much of a classic as Halloween and Psycho, it's still a fine little 80's horror movie, and I really dig the surreal imagery, inventive premise, and creepy synth score. Freddie's long slinky arms in that alley is a bizarre, haunting image that really seared itself into my child brain and never went away. I also think it fared pretty well in terms of the sequels, even if Freddie got increasingly silly over time. Dream Warriors was a pretty strong film, and Wes Craven's New Nightmare is a fascinating and strangely inventive commentary on the horror genre as a whole, as well as an interesting spiritual predecessor to the Scream films.

Have you ever watched the sequels to Psycho? They're... surprisingly good films. Anthony Perkins reprises his role as Norman Bates in them, and they're thoughtful and intelligent thrillers in their own right.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

LilDoggo48

December 2018 was a great month for movies! Aquaman, Bumblebee and Spider-Verse were all pretty great &/or fun films!

I will admit though i'm weary of the future of cinema with all the creepy giant corporate buy-outs, Disney/FOX is gonna hurt a lot of people, as well as content creators and consumers rights in the long run, not to mention theaters ticket & concession prices are gonna become even more ridiculous going into the next decade! And ATT's buy out of Turner/Warner Bros. seems pretty iffy as well. Sufficed to say i'll probably start going to the movies much much less often in the future.

That said there are still films i'm looking forward to. Jordan Peele's Us looks spectacular! And I really hope i'm able to see How To Train Your Dragon 3, Shazam!, Secret Life of Pets 2, Godzilla & Detective Pikachu as they are released over the course of 2019.

Beyond that I know there's a Trolls Sequel in 2020 and if Illumination and Nintendo ever do get the animated Mario film off the ground I look forward to that, hoping Hasbro gets the Hanazuki, animated Transformers film and second MLP films made some day.

But yea, beyond those gonna be very wait and see going into the 2020's about what I do and don't see in theaters as I have no desire to pay even steeper ticket and concession prices then the ones we already have.

Eagerly Awaiting Animal Crossing for Switch!

RR529

Bleach (Netflix Original Film) - Japanese produced live action adaptation of the popular manga/anime. Really don't waste your time on this. It has the typical concessions of adaptations of this type, reworking an entire arc's worth of story into a less than 2 hour runtime, and while that's understandable, there's still a lot of stuff (including characters) they had to omit, and overall the film was simply a bore for most of it's runtime, and the costuming was particularly low budget with the actors looking like they were just wearing store bought Bleach cosplay outfits. The climactic battle was actually pretty fun in a cheesy sort of way, but that in itself isn't enough to save the film.

I actually kinda liked the live action FMA film, but not this one.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

LilDoggo48

Honestly I find the live action remakes of animated films Disney's doing to be pretty disgusting and tactless. They're nothing but shameless Nostalgia cash grabs and insults to the Hard working animators that made set originals.

Plus they don't have anywhere near the soul the originals do.

Eagerly Awaiting Animal Crossing for Switch!

RR529

Alita: Battle Angel (theater) - Apparently this was helmed by the same creative team that made Avatar, so my brother (who is a major fan of that film) invited me to go see it with him (in 3D, to boot). Not sure how faithful it is to the source material (though apparently it's a bit of a passion project for James Cameron as a fan of the original, so I'm guessing it followed the manga closer than these things tend to), but just as a movie watching experience it's leagues above any other live action manga/game adaptation I've seen.

It's absolutely full of awesome cyborg on cyborg combat, with a richly detailed sci-fi world, and I thought the 3D was pretty fantastic. Alita herself is a fully CG character (made to look mostly realistic, just with slightly exaggerated facial features to hit a balance between realism and her original manga appearance) amongst a cast of mostly live-action actors, but it worked for me so much that I never really noticed while watching (maybe it was because she technically isn't human, and/or the handful of other CG cyborgs sprinkled in). My only real issue is that they built up a big bad that she wasn't able to confront by the film's end, setting up for a sequel we may never get due to how well manga adaptations tend to pan out. I know they probably can't fit the entirety of the manga's story into one movie without major pacing issues, but I at least wish they were more subtle about the big bad's presence in a way they could still set up for the sequel, while making the villain she does confront seem more meaningful.

Ant-Man & the Wasp (Netflix) - Not quite as fun as the first film, but still a good watch.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

jump

@RR529 It was actually directed by Robert Rodriguez (who made From Dusk Till Dawn, Sin City etc) and James Cameron was the producer.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Nessjestic

Am I the only one who wants Nintendo to make an animated shared universe movie franchise culminating in a new Super Smash Bros movie every 5 years? It could be awesome and go something like this:

Phase 1: Super Mario - The Legend of Zelda - Metroid - Star Fox - Super Smash Bros
Phase 2: Super Mario 2 - Pokémon - EarthBound - The Legend of Zelda 2 - Super Smash Bros 2
...and so on.

Edited on by Nessjestic

Nintendo gamer at heart.
Also loves to watch movies and listen to Belgian bands.

Switch Friend Code: SW-2177-3594-1706 | My Nintendo: Nessjestic | Twitter:

jump

Nessjestic wrote:

Am I the only one who wants Nintendo to make an animated shared universe movie franchise culminating in a new Super Smash Bros movie every 5 years? It could be awesome and go something like this:

Phase 1: Super Mario - The Legend of Zelda - Metroid - Star Fox - Super Smash Bros
Phase 2: Super Mario 2 - Pokémon - EarthBound - The Legend of Zelda 2 - Super Smash Bros 2
...and so on.

Not really as video games movies always suck, I'm don't even have hope that the Mario movie will be decent as it's being made by the Minions studio.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Nessjestic

@jump
Yeah, I don't have much hope for the Mario movie that's currently in production either.
But if this new franchise I was talking about were to be done by a group of Japanese anime veterans it would be a completely different story I think.

Nintendo gamer at heart.
Also loves to watch movies and listen to Belgian bands.

Switch Friend Code: SW-2177-3594-1706 | My Nintendo: Nessjestic | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic