Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,601 to 1,619 of 1

jump

@RR529 It was actually directed by Robert Rodriguez (who made From Dusk Till Dawn, Sin City etc) and James Cameron was the producer.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

jump

Nessjestic wrote:

Am I the only one who wants Nintendo to make an animated shared universe movie franchise culminating in a new Super Smash Bros movie every 5 years? It could be awesome and go something like this:

Phase 1: Super Mario - The Legend of Zelda - Metroid - Star Fox - Super Smash Bros
Phase 2: Super Mario 2 - Pokémon - EarthBound - The Legend of Zelda 2 - Super Smash Bros 2
...and so on.

Not really as video games movies always suck, I'm don't even have hope that the Mario movie will be decent as it's being made by the Minions studio.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

RR529

Joysticks (Amazon Prime Video) - 80's comedy centering around a video game arcade. It's the typical youth culture versus the establishment yarn, as the city's teens band together to keep the arcade safe from the mechanations of a stuck up parent's plans to try and shutter the place for being a "den of moral decay".

You have all the cliches present such as the jock, the nerd, and of course the gaming addicted slob, and it didn't skimp on the very gratuitous female nudity, which is only matched in prevalence by Pac-Man iconography. While other notable titles get some screentime, Pac-Man is so prevalent that I'm almost willing to guess there may have been some sort of marketing/licensing deal in place (it even climaxed with a "the Wizard" Super Mario Bros. 3 style jumbotron showdown, with Super Pac-Man).

I wouldn't say it's a good movie, but as someone who enjoys the occasional 80's cheesefest, along with being interested in what it would be like as one of the earliest Hollywood attempts at tapping into gaming culture (it came out 5 or 6 years before the Wizard), I'd say I overall enjoyed my time with it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Vinny

I watched Raging Bull and The Breakfast Club yesterday.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

RR529

InuYasha the Movie 2: Castle Beyond the Looking Glass (Amazon Prime Video) - I was feeling nostalgic tonight, and since I'm a big fan of the series (as you can tell from my avatar), I decided to impulse buy this on Amazon this evening and give it a watch. I went with the second film since it's my favorite one (I last watched it a few years ago, and even then it was either a poor quality YouTube upload or on an unreputable website), so watching it in HD was a treat and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I really should purchase the series one of these days (last time I watched it through was when Toonami re-aired it 6 or 7 years ago, man it didn't seem so long ago), but I'm not sure where I'd find the time to squeeze in a near 200 episode anime series (counting the Final Act too, naturally).

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

RR529

Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Amazon Prime Video) - Noticed this was now available for home video, so I bought it last night and stayed up way later than I usually do watching it with my brother. This is the absolute best Dragon Ball Super has ever been. It's obviously not a deep film, but it's fun, the action is absolutely fantastic (what I've always dreamed a DBZ battle would look like with modern animation & a big budget), and they actually provided some explanation behind Broly's unusual power level and reworked his history to make him more of an actual character, so for a Dragon Ball film it was good from the storytelling angle as well. Also, in terms of style it looked more like DBZ than the Super TV anime (Now I'm not talking about the animation quality, as I know DBZ didn't look nearly this good, but in terms of style, especially the coloration and use of shadow of the super sayain form, best exemplified when Vegeta first transforms in the film, they captured that look better). The only hiccup was that Frieza wanted the Dragon Balls to become taller, rather than immortal. It was unbecoming of the series' most notable irredeemable villain, just so they could add an extra scene of comic relief to a film that already had a decent amount of it in more appropriate scenarios.

Godzilla VS King Ghidorah (Amazon Prime Video) - Watched this Friday evening. An early 90's era Godzilla film, that sees time travelers from the future attempting to destroy Japan's dominance in the 23rd century by preventing Godzilla from being created, and replacing him with King Ghidorah to destroy Japan in "modern day". You don't watch a "Godzilla VS" film for the story though (which didn't make much sense in practice), and it was just a good comfort food time.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Omart

I watched 'Love, Death and Robots' and 'Shazam', enjoyed both very much

Omart

Sintown

I know i'm gonna get some looks but i don't give a damn;
I really love Hotel Transylvania.

Sintown

RR529

Ghost in the Shell 2017 (Amazon Prime Video) - The live action adaptation, and it was actually pretty decent. Questionable casting choice aside (and of which I personally ultimately didn't mind, as it was explained in the context of this version's story) it didn't do anything wrong, as in it checked all the boxes correctly in terms of world, characters, design, and even the basic themes that permeate the series (with a proper budget to boot), but it's big fault is that it just felt very "diet GitS", in an effort to make it a more easily consumable popcorn flick (I had to rewatch the original film multiple times to get it & I STILL don't really understand Stand Alone Complex, but I was able to piece together the basic plotline of this film quite early on), and partially probably an effort to appease the China censors (toned down the general "adult" content of the series, in terms of blood & sexualization). It's not bad though, and still a decent watch if you're into the series just to see the characters translated into live-action, or just want to watch a decent sci-fi flick.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

jump

RR529 wrote:

Questionable casting choice aside (and of which I personally ultimately didn't mind, as it was explained in the context of this version's story) it didn't do anything wrong,.

Like the entire film itself the casting missed the point of why it was an issue and then decided to put out the fire by pouring gasoline on it. It's more akin to Asian erasure since the movie itself is a Japanese story, with a Japanese setting but then goes she's Japanese anyway LOL, if it was handled better they could of got away with it but the entire film was badly handled. It looks like Ghost In The Shell is about the only praise it can be given and largely appeals to the fans of anime who like the pretty fast moving colours. Without the deeper nuances of a reflection humanity that the original flicks offered it's a fairly shallow flick.

Nicolai wrote:

6ch6ris6

Insomnia

good thriller with amazing performances. not one of nolan's best films, but very solid and entertaining

Steam: ACAB or 6ch6ris6
waiting for a pricedrop on switch

RR529

Eureka Seven: High Evolution 1 (Amazon Prime Video) - The first entry in a planned film trilogy to retell the story of the Eureka Seven TV anime, and as a huge fan of said series, I found that this missed the mark. It opened up at a point 10 years before the start of the series, showcasing an event that was central to the series' back story for the first time, and while this segment was a feast for the eyes, it's an absolutely terrible starting out point as it's full of in-universe technobabble that's not at all welcoming to newcomers, and even series fans who haven't watched it in recent memory. Then it decides to jump to an arc in the middle of the story, when Renton was living with Charles & Rey, while occasionally jumping back to the events of the first episode, that again would probably be confusing to newcomers, and also isn't optimal for a rewatch as well. Worse, this segment of the film (which is the bulk), is simply cobbled together by reusing scenes from the TV anime. Now, the series still looks good IMO (especially with how it's been remastered), but it's still a bit of a jarring transition moving from the modern film quality animation, to touched up scenes from the original TV series (especially considering the 4:3 aspect ratio).

@jump, as I said, it doesn't do anything wrong (at least on a checklist), but is very "diet GitS" in terms of the themes that permeate the series.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

jump

RR529 wrote:

jump, as I said, it doesn't do anything wrong (at least on a checklist), but is very "diet GitS" in terms of the themes that permeate the series.

Eh, it does a lot wrong. You've got the white washing (even if you ignore Scarlett you still have a supporting cast that has been washed), the cold poet articulation of the characters has been transferred into bad monotone acting as well as gross misunderstanding of the source material. The themes of original anime movies about existential crisis have been converted to basic a revenge story. Even when they were lifting scenes from the original they misunderstood them like when the Major was naked it's to show how (emotionally) detach she is from her body and just sees it as a tool rather than apart of herself whilst here it's because it looks cool.

Again the film is fine if all you liked about the anime/manga is pretty flashing colours.

Nicolai wrote:

Magician

I recently watched Molly's Game. Arguably one of the top five movies that revolve around poker, at least that I can remember. Rounders is usually the default choice when it comes to poker related cinema. Then a few other less popular choices such as Shade, Maverick, Cincinnati Kid, etc. In any case, Jessica Chastain is amazing (as per usual) and the supporting cast is also quite strong.

If you're a fan of Jessica Chastain's work or of poker in general I high recommend you give it a watch.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 345 games (as of June 17th, 2019)
Currently playing: Okami HD (Switch) Mary Skelter (PS Vita) Borderlands The Pre-sequel (PS4)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

RR529

Hana-Bi (Amazon Prime Video) - 90's Japanese film about a police detective, Nishi (played by Takeshi Kitano), who, after a series of events throw his life into disarray, decides to throw everything away and make the most of things while he can. I really got into it, and say it now outranks Sonatine as my favorite Kitano film.

Weird Science (Amazon Prime Video) - 80's Teen Comedy that sees a couple of high school nerds that, while trying to create a female AI to practice interacting with women, somehow manage to create a real life bombshell beauty, who both listens to their every whim, while also having the power to alter reality itself. It's goofy 80's schlock (and of course the boys learn some self confidence & that people will like them for who they are by film's end), but I definitely enjoy these kinds of films from time to time, and like seeing what they were able to get away with, with a PG-13 rating at the time (it almost reminds me of a Shonen anime/manga, in the sense that it's definitely not a film aimed at adults, yet there is some sexual innuendo, and even a few very brief moments of female nudity, that you wouldn't get in a Hollywood film made today for the same demographic).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Anti-Matter

Aladdin Live Action movie

I have watched it last Friday night.
Pretty good adaptation. 😀

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

RR529

Rim of the World (Netflix Original Film) - A callback to the 80's youth adventure genre (with a few other references, such as a nearly blatant copy of the Jurassic Park kitchen scene), that sees a group of young teens at summer camp end up on an adventure to save the planet from an alien invasion. It mixes comedy (these kids can have some potty mouths, particularly Dariush) with more tense moments. Overall it's mostly dumb fun not to be taken too seriously, and while the CGI isn't the best, due to the tone of the film I didn't mind. If you know what you're getting yourself into it can be a fun watch.

I only found out about it after I ran across a Yahoo article talking about how it was causing an "uproar" over racist jokes (and they even managed to scrounge up 4 or 5 negative tweets as proof!). Admittedly It does rely on a lot of established tropes & cliches (in all aspects), but it's all in an effort to capture the vibe of said 80's films, and while that may mean it has some humour that doesn't gel with with a certain very socially minded segment of today's population, the second coming of Birth of a Nation this is not.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

NotTelevision

Going through the films of 2018, I came across The Favourite. Since I wasn’t the biggest fan of either Dogtooth or The Lobster I wasn’t expecting much, but it was actually a great movie. It is a very different take on the British period piece, much in the same way Barry Lyndon was. The actresses all do a great job and film is pretty difficult to predict. You are not sure if it is going to be a revenge film, a story of mental and physical illness, or just a story about how power can cause one to fall from grace. It’s rare to see a film that gives a great ending that you didn’t see coming, and The Favourite delivers it with equal parts beauty and bitter irony.

The only real negative for me was some the unnecessary fisheye lens shots in the first half. They didn’t add much to the film and felt like something an amateur would do in an attempt to disorientate the viewer. The rest of the filmmaking is top notch though.

NotTelevision

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic