Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,481 to 1,500 of 6,550

Alber-san

@Mrkim @Dezzy
Wait what interesting new story did TLJ have? All I saw was a chase scene, the Rebellion once more and the typical old legendary hero who dies saving everyone.

Switch FC: SW-4227-6363-7321
Online games:
Rocket League, Splatoon 2, NBA Playgrounds, Fortnite

Favourite single player games:XC2, Skyrim, TLoZ: BotW

the_shpydar

As a life-long Star Wars fan, i have to say that no one is more annoying than Star Wars fans.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Dezzy

@the_shpydar

Star Wars has the most devoted and extreme fanbase of nearly any franchise in existence.

But the thing is, that's why it was worth 4 billion dollars. Those people print dollars for your franchise if you keep them happy. Alternatively, they ruin your reputation if you piss them off (as is currently happening with Star Wars).

A lot of naive people in the media and hollywood still haven't figured out that you can't get one of those things without the other. You can either get extremely high value franchise that comes with massive risks of the fanbase turning on you OR you can get a much lower value franchise with lower risks and more creative freedom.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Mrkim

Alber-san wrote:

@Mrkim @Dezzy
Wait what interesting new story did TLJ have? All I saw was a chase scene, the Rebellion once more and the typical old legendary hero who dies saving everyone.

1) Luke dealing with being considered a legend when he is very aware that he is not the flawless hero everyone thinks he is.
2) Poe Dameron being confronted with the fact that dumb recklessness is not heroic, no matter how well-meaning it is.
3) Finn, who refuses to properly join the rebellion, meets DJ (who holds Finn's current philosophies of not joining) and Rose (who is much more idealistic and cemented to a cause) and makes the choice to adjust his philosophies to be more like Rose than DJ.
4) Kylo Ren rejecting his manipulators and continuing to run the First Order on his own terms, rendering a Return of the Jedi rehash impossible.

Personally, I found the way all four plot threads came together for the final act extremely satisfying, and unlike anything I had seen before.

To be clear, I'm not saying "this film is good and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong". I'm saying that this film resonated with me and if it didn't resonate with you, that's fine.

Dezzy wrote:

A lot of naive people in the media and hollywood still haven't figured out that you can't get one of those things without the other. You can either get extremely high value franchise that comes with massive risks of the fanbase turning on you OR you can get a much lower value franchise with lower risks and more creative freedom.

Are you saying that large franchises should just churn out the same formula over and over again? Because if you are I couldn't disagree harder. This way of thinking is the reason that the majority of reboots/remakes are generic garbage.

The Last Jedi received glowing reviews, appealed to mass audiences (with an A Cinemascore), and became the 9th highest grossing film of all time. I don't think Disney will mind too much about a group of nerds on the internet complaining that it wasn't what they specifically wanted it to be.

Mrkim

Dezzy

Mrkim wrote:

Are you saying that large franchises should just churn out the same formula over and over again? Because if you are I couldn't disagree harder. This way of thinking is the reason that the majority of reboots/remakes are generic garbage.

The Last Jedi received glowing reviews, appealed to mass audiences (with an A Cinemascore), and became the 9th highest grossing film of all time. I don't think Disney will mind too much about a group of nerds on the internet complaining that it wasn't what they specifically wanted it to be.

It depends how narrowly you define what the "formula" is. The Force Awakens followed the formula too closely. The Last Jedi didn't follow it at all. All I'd say is that a series should have a common set of themes and styles as well as a continuous narrative arc across the films. I definitely don't mean it as narrowly as J.J.Abrams interpreted it so that you need to have a new Death Star each time. That was silly.

It received glowing reviews from movie critics, who are a very homogenous clique of people who don't remotely represent the general public's opinions.
'9th highest grossing film' is purely a product of past momentum. Which is very likely why Solo has been a box office bomb (which Disney certainly will mind). People judge them based on the last thing they saw. Of course we can't say for certain how much a fan backlash is responsible for Solo bombing but it seems almost guaranteed to be a factor when you have videos like this with 600,000 views calling for a boycott and getting an 85% upvote from the audience:

Ralizah

Watched Hereditary last night. What a fantastic horror movie! Love the way the visual language feeds into and reinforces the absolutely insane narrative. It's also, amazingly, the director's first film. He's only 31, and already has one of the best horror movies of the 2010's to his credit.

Also a great acting showpiece. Toni Collette gave the performance of her life, and Alex Wolff does a great job as her son.

Best film of 2018 I've seen so far.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Mrkim

@Dezzy - Jesus Christ, that video is ridiculous. He accuses Kathleen Kennedy of giving Star Wars a "political agenda" which turns out just to be including women and people of colour. I wouldn't be surprised if this "backlash" is made up entirely of white men.

Mrkim

Dezzy

@Mrkim

Lol you did the exact same thing that Disney has been doing, which has been fueling the backlash. You completely misrepresented what he said.
He clearly said he has no problem with female characters and minority characters but what's absurd is when you deliberately hire people based on those characteristics, which Kennedy and Abrams have both openly admitted they did. Including desperately trying to find a female director.
It's not that hard to see why writers who think their job is to "represent" all different groups of people are generally going to produce worse products than writers who think their job is to just write an interesting and good story. It's obviously connected to the fact that they included that out-of-place political messaging about capitalism and animal rights.

Mrkim

@Dezzy
So it really is just white men feeling victimised when someone says "the vast majority of the human characters in this series are white men, so we should make a deliberate effort to fix this". They don't even fully fix the problem. The main cast of The Last Jedi is still over 50% white men. And are they really being unfair to men by considering hiring a female director after all ten of the previous films were directed by men?

"It would be nice if women and minorities appeared in films more" should not be considered a political statement.

This whole thing is just men who are used to having dominant representation in films getting upset that things are changing and in the future they will only receive the regular amount of representation. I'm so bewildered that anyone could have an issue with any of this.

And seeing as this discussion is getting a little bit heated and lengthy with no sign of any agreements being reached, I'm going to stop here to spare the people who just want a friendly chat about the films they have seen recently.

Mrkim

Dezzy

@Mrkim

Well once again, you're just not responding to the actual point being made.
Hiring a director who happens to be female is entirely different than hiring a director because she's female. Directors in the past were not hired because they're male. They were male because the vast majority of directors at the time were male. Same with the actors. America was 85% white in 1977 so of course it was mostly white people. But that doesn't mean they hired people BECAUSE they were white.

Those really are completely different things and it does change how you write something when you explicitly care what the race and sex of everyone is. Simple example: Should Finn sacrifice himself at the end of the Last Jedi?
Story-writing approach: How would this fit the story and arcs of each character if he died now? Would it seem like a meaningful death? Has his character's contribution to the rebels been exhausted or is there more for him to do?
"Diversity" approach: If he dies, we'll no longer be "representing" black people well enough. So that can't happen.

jump

I found the bigotry in Star Wars disgusting, Chewbecca doesn't get a medal in the first film but the white folk do. WOOKIE LIVES MATTER!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Alber-san

@Mrkim
Ok so I think the problem is that TLJ doesn't develop the overall story of the franchise. I mean sure we see character development, but that's all the story shows. Every other movie in the franchise has shown an important plot point to the overall story: PM had the discovery of Anakin Skywalker, the rise of the sith, the start of the war with the CIS, etc., AotC had the creation of the clone army, the start of the Clone Wars, the extermination of a lot of Jedi, the introduction of the Jedi to the war instead of being peace keepers, etc., RotS had the rise of Darth Vader, the end of the Republic and the Jedi, the rise of the Empire, etc, ANH had the rise of a new hope for the galaxy and the destruction of the Death Star which posed a great threat for the rebels, ESB had the destruction of the Rebel force and the loss of the good guys and RotJ had the destruction of the Empire and Jabba the Hutt. All of these also had character development. However TLJ had no development in story. It was all a chase scene which ended just like TFA. The baddies are now the Empire and the Resistance is the Rebellion. There's no new idea introduced that will affect the galaxy.

As for the diversity problem, there are plenty of women complaining too, not just men. There are also black people complaining, not just whites. Just search on YT. The problem isn't that there now is diversity. It's that this forced diversity has led to characters being poorly written. Look at the white men in TLJ. They are all flawed. They're either evil, have given up on everything for no reason (Luke), are traitors (DJ)or are somehow always wrong (Poe).Now lets look at Finn. He was actually a decent written character (although him being a soldier who had never seen anything but the First Order isn't explored in any way) but just when he's going to save the Resistance he is stopped by Rose. He isn't allowed to be the hero. As for the women. Rey has absolutely 0 character development in this movie. She's still hugely overpowered despite not having been trained much (how could she defeat highly trained guards who are meant to deal with these types of people?). Oh and she saves Kylo, who is supposed to be trained by Snoke, from being killed by the guard. Rose is somehow sent on a secret mission despite being only a mechanic, complains about how there's enslavement and animal abuse because of the first order even though the Republic had been in control umm a week before? Maybe less? She then stops Finn from saving the Resistance and umm kisses him? Why? There was no sign of love between the two. Holdo. She doesn't explain the plan to Poe so that she can be the heroine. That's what she adds to the story.

So the problem isn't that there are females or different races in Star Wars. It's that the story and character development suffer just for the sake of making them the heroes. Do you think people were mad with Leia being a strong female in the OT? With Padme being a strong female too? People love Mace Windu, so racism isn't the problem here. Lando isn't hated either.

Switch FC: SW-4227-6363-7321
Online games:
Rocket League, Splatoon 2, NBA Playgrounds, Fortnite

Favourite single player games:XC2, Skyrim, TLoZ: BotW

Vinny

Anyone else liked Sonic OVA (1996)? I think it captures the feel of the classic Sonic games really well. The soundtrack is amazing also.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Eagle9

@Armbouncer
Is this right place to critizise Jurassic World 2. From wikipedia "Its largest opening markets were South Korea ($27.2 million), the UK ($19.9 million),"

It all started from Game&Watch.

3DS Friend Code 5455 9594 9430.
Switch Friend Code 7313-1538-3028.

jump

Eagle9 wrote:

@Armbouncer
Is this right place to critizise Jurassic World 2. From wikipedia "Its largest opening markets were South Korea ($27.2 million), the UK ($19.9 million),"

That's because it hasn't opened in the US yet and those are good numbers.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Eagle9

@jump
You haven't read original post which one i preferred to it seems.

It all started from Game&Watch.

3DS Friend Code 5455 9594 9430.
Switch Friend Code 7313-1538-3028.

Vinny

Is Hamburger Hill (1987) worth watching?
So far I've watched:

• Platoon (1986)
  • Apocalypse Now (1979)
  • Full Metal Jacket (1987)
  • We Were Soldiers (2002)

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Ralizah

@Solea Joe? Do you mean K?

K sees the date in the tree, which lines up with his memories, and then discovers the entry in the LAPD database of the child born on the same data that points to an orphanage he remembered from his youth. Plus, when the person we later learn is actually the organically-born replicant confirms that the memory is real, it confirms for him his suspicion that he is Rachel's child. The twist — that the protagonist of the film isn't actually the legendary figure everyone has been looking for — is pretty effective, and works on multiple levels. I loved the meta level of commentary there about destiny and meaning: K wasn't actually significant in terms of his birth like he thought he was, but through his actions he is able to find meaning in his life. It's very existentialist.

Glad you enjoyed the movie. It's one of my favorites.

How have you been?

Ralizah

@Solea Keep in mind that in the (easily inferior) Philip K Dick novel they're just androids, whereas the replicants in the Blade Runner films aren't machines, but bioengineered humans. They're fully organic, but they're conditioned to obey and have false memories implanted in them.

RR529

It's been awhile since I've commented in here, lol.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - This was a good time, but not as good as the first JW, IMO. It's pretty much a retread the Lost World in terms of basic plot, and while it does have it's own spin, it's just not as magical as having the park fully open as was seen in JW. Oh, and apparently Hammond suddenly has an old business partner that was instrumental in the process of bringing the dinosaurs back, and is a big part of the movie in spite of the fact we've had four movies where the guy wasn't even referenced. Good popcorn flick, though.

Boiling Point - Early Takeshi Kitano Yakuza flick that sees two members of a baseball club plot revenge against a local Yakuza clique after they brutally beat their coach (who himself is an ex Yakuza). It's pretty odd and a bit of a slow burn (they spend maybe 15-20 minutes advancing the main story. Most of the film is just the characters jacking around, and they even throw in sort of a side narrative). Still, I did enjoy it (I'd rank it above Violent Cop, but below Sonatine).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic