Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,421 to 1,440 of 6,555

CanisWolfred

Deadpool 2 - I came. I saw. I laughed. I had a great time. I left.

....really don't have much to say beyond that. The writing was on-point. Great timing, great characterization. It was a great time from start to finish, with a post-credits ending that...I think I might've seen a tweet or headline spoiling, but didn't make enough sense out of context until I saw it myself, so I don't think it counts as spoiled?

Basically, I loved it. Sure, it didn't set the world on fire, but....why is that a saying? Seriously, I think if the world was on fire, we'd all be dead. Or living in underground vaults that are secretly lab experiments meant to stretch the limits of how much you can screw with people...speaking of which, Mission Impossible: Fallout Edition looks amazing. It's a very unexpected crossover, but I'm sure it'll be Game of the Year once all the bugs are patched out.
They're never getting patched out.

...what was I talking about? Oh yeah, The Avenger: Infinity Guantlet Acts 1 & 2. I saw. I laughed. I cried. I wooed and cheered. I left with a sense of hollowness and bitter disappointment at the fact that I bought the Beta Early Access version instead of waiting for the Complete Edition that'll release next year. But, that was my fault, since they only mentioned it in every one of their advertisements, except the ones I actually saw. I still cannot figure out how I missed that. It's like the entire internet is playing a practical joke on me, and I want it to stop!

But the joke's on you! This is the only Marvel movie that's based on a story I've already read! I already know how it ends!

...except they only used about 10% of said material...mostly just the basic concept, really...and it's set in a seperate universe...with only a small fraction of the original characters, most of whom are actually more important to the film than they were to the comic...and honestly, the only substantial part that they used was the part I never expected them to use...

...I'll just blame Disney until I invent time travel. Or the next movie comes out. Whichever comes first.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Henmii

Soooo Solo: A Star wars story...I have a feeling it will flop immensely. I mean: I loved The last Jedi but many people seem to hate it. Even more then the prequels. So that fact combined with a troubled development movie (Solo) with a lead wich has to step in the shoes of Ford (impossible). No excitement for this movie on the internet at all. I saw the trailer: Nice but not hugely exciting. And story-wise it seems very bleak (for such a movie to exist there must be a amazing story to tell). Last time I checked the Metacritic score seemed favorable, but I also read a review in a paper that only gave 3 stars (normally they give 4). I myself might skip the movie in cinema, and just go straight for dvd.

To put everything short: The fanbase seems fed up with star wars, no excitement for Solo, empty seats for this movie, Disney questioning their strategy regarding stand alone star wars movies. Even a pre-schooler could come up with better stand alone star wars stories. Maybe Disney is going to hard with nostalgia simply because it sold so well so far. I say this because it feels lots of times in their last movies like: Look, we remembered the movies you liked (episode 4-6) and we totally forgot about the movies you hated (episode 1-3). I would be very surprised if the upcoming trilogy will be totally new like they promised. I am sure there will be lots of episode 4-6 nods in there.

One last gripe: How many years plays this before Ford? Because Alden Ehrenreich seems even older then Harrison when he played the role for the first time.

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

the_shpydar

@Henmii
Fun fact: negative people whining on Twitter and social media are not in any way an accurate representation of reality.

I saw Solo on Friday, first show in the morning at the theater and it was packed. The movie was excellent, a lot of fun and had the audience cheering and laughing throughout. Alden did a great job (agreed that no one could ever fill Harrison's shoes, but Alden did a good a job as anyone could have) and the rest of the cast was great.

Maybe judge a movie by actually seeing it and making up your own mind instead of buying in to the online "buzz" (seriously, places are claiming it is doing "dismal" business despite the fact that it set a record for best ever preview gross on Memorial Day weekend). And saying that the fanbase is "fed up" with Star Wars is ridiculous. Again, it's a loud vocal minority on social media (which sadly seems to be the case with every aspect of our culture in the current time). I will say however that i don't think it was the best idea to put out this movie so quickly (just 5 months) after TLJ released, and the fact that two hugely popular/successful movies that share a largely common fanbase as SW are still in the theatre (Avengers and Deadpool) doesn't help when it comes to box office.

Finally, I have no idea what you're looking at if you think Alden looks older than young Harrison looked. FYI, Alden is currently 28 years old (would have been 27-ish when filming), Harrison was 34 when the original Star Wars came out (33-ish when filming).

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Henmii

@the_shpydar,

You might be right. On the internet there's also always hate regarding the prequels, and I actually loved them. So far I enjoyed every Star wars movie, so I might also enjoy this one. The whiners are of course only a small fraction of the complete fanbase. Well, I'll base my actions on my own reaction when I saw the trailer. I liked it, but wasn't blown away. So I might still skip cinema. But I will definitely buy it on dvd, since I do want to see it someday no matter what. The thing is, I never planned to watch all stand-alone movies in cinema. I did watch Rogue One though in cinema. I liked it, but wasn't blown away. That said, after seeing the dvd a couple of times I seem to enjoy it more and more. Its a nice companion piece to the original movies, but I missed the humor.

As for Alden's age: I didn't know any ages but suspected that he was older then Harrison when he first did the role. Seems I was wrong. Also, I don't know their movie ages or how many years it takes place before episode 4. Maybe my expectations where hugely wrong: I expected a teen, playing Han Solo in his teen years.

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

the_shpydar

FYI - Regarding ages of the characters, Han is supposed to be about 29/30 in the original film (approximately 10 years older than Luke & Leia, who are both 19 in the film). The exact time period of Solo is not specified (except maybe in outside sources; i haven't seen anything truly definitive so far), but is generally being placed to be about 10 years prior to the original film (and no spoilers, but the first 15 minutes or so are actually set 3 years prior to the rest of the film, with both Alden and Emilia Clarke made to look younger than they appear in the rest of the film).

So that would theoretically make Han about 19 in Solo — and while Alden certainly doesn't look 19 (which is how Hollywood typically operates when it comes to casting teens, AKA the 90210/Dawson's Creek/WB method of casting 20-somethings as high schoolers), the way he plays the character comes across as a 19 year old (or at least a 19 year old who has some mileage under his belt by virtue of how he was raised). Consider also that Emilia Clarke, who is supposed to be more or less the same age as Han in the film, is actually 31 in real life.

Movies are weird like that.

And by the way, if you missed the Star Wars style humor when watching Rogue One, you will appreciate Solo, as there is plenty of that fun stuff in movie.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

MsJubilee

the_shpydar wrote:

(seriously, places are claiming it is doing "dismal" business despite the fact that it set a record for best ever preview gross on Memorial Day weekend).

Is this really something to go home and write about? It still failed to meet expectations. Another thing i don't think the fanbase is fed up with Star Wars, i guess they're just fatigued with the franchise. Especially when a new Star Wars movie comes out every year since The Force Awakens debut.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Deku-Scrub

MsJubilee wrote:

the_shpydar wrote:

(seriously, places are claiming it is doing "dismal" business despite the fact that it set a record for best ever preview gross on Memorial Day weekend).

Is this really something to go home and write about? It still failed to meet expectations. Another thing i don't think the fanbase is fed up with Star Wars, i guess they're just fatigued with the franchise. Especially when a new Star Wars movie comes out every year since The Force Awakens debut.

I am yet to see Solo myself, but as a part of the hardcore bit of the fanbase, I'd say I'm not fatigued or sick of Star Wars at all, I'm loving the yearly releases. Everyone will be ready for the next one when Episode 9 releases in a year and a 1/2 now anyways, which will be the longest wait we'll be having for a new Star Wars movie during the Disney era of Star Wars.

Deku-Scrub

Joycon Boy Forever

Currently Playing:
Switch: Fire Emblem: Three Houses
3DS: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
PS4: Persona 5, Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Fandabidozi

Anyone here that didn’t like Solo or TLJ, Rogue One, TFA or the prequels or ROTJ, can you tell my why you’re still going to see Star Wars films? Genuinely interested.

NNID: Fandabidozi
3DS Friend Code: 2552-1581-3189
AC Pocket Camp: 1580 9310 141

My Nintendo: Fandabidozi | Nintendo Network ID: Fandabidozi | Twitter:

Alber-san

Ok I have a serious question for those that seem to love every Star Wars movie up to date. Do you read Star Wars books, comics or have watched The Clone Wars series? Every erm "hardcore" (I don't like that word but I wouldn't know which one to use) Star Wars fan I know of has disliked TLJ because it doesn't expand on the lore and destroys everything set before it.

What are you guys expecting to see in episode IX? I seriously can't think of anything to be hyped about. (Maybe the knights of Ren? But they wouldn't seem impactful to the story since they haven't appeared in any movie).

As for Solo. It's NOT Star Wars fatigue. People continue watching Marvel movies and several are released each year. Black Panther was still on theatres when Infinity War debuted! This is personal experience but in my case I haven't watched Solo because I don't feel Han Solo needs a backstory, I hated RJ's along with Lucasfilm's treatment to the fans (saying that fans are wrong and they are right no matter what. Compare it to Marvel where they actually listen to fans and you see another reason why one is succeeding and the other isn't) and I hated TLJ's writing and plot.

Don't say things like "Solo is doing great" or "it's fatigue" just to brush off the idea that Star Wars fans are actually angry with the direction the franchise is taking. There's a difference between hating the prequels (which I love) and hating the sequel trilogy too: the story the prequel trilogy was telling was great, and no one can deny that. You see the rise of the Emperor and the fall of the Jedi. The change from Republic to Empire, Anakin's turn to the darkside, etc. In the sequel trilogy we see... umm... Rey being op from the start?, another Rebellion vs Empire? (Like I said in the second paragraph I seriously can't think of interesting plot points about the sequel trilogy that expand on the lore).

BTW: I'm sorry if this sounded offensive to some, I wasn't trying to be. There's no problem if you like TLJ and I'm genuinely curious about the things I asked.

Switch FC: SW-4227-6363-7321
Online games:
Rocket League, Splatoon 2, NBA Playgrounds, Fortnite

Favourite single player games:XC2, Skyrim, TLoZ: BotW

Anti-Matter

I just ONLY like specific Cartoon & specific Disney movies. Lesser actions, lesser noises, lesser tensions, better for me.
I'm not a Movieholic anyway.

Anti-Matter

Henmii

"And by the way, if you missed the Star Wars style humor when watching Rogue One, you will appreciate Solo, as there is plenty of that fun stuff in movie"

Good to hear!

@Alber-san,

I wached episode 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Rogue One, Clone wars movie, Clone wars series and Starwars Rebels. I liked them all to certain degrees. I don't think Luke was destroyed at all, everyone has his/hers moments of weakness. He's just human after all. Yes, its dissapointing that Snoke hasn't a backstory. Yes, Rey's backstory is weak (if that's her full story). We don't know what will happen in episode 9. Maybe that code-breaker returns to finally do something good. Moments like those with Yoda or the Kylo/Rey/red guards fights are golden. My biggest gripe with the new trilogy is that it doesn't ad many new stuff. The prequels introduced lots of new stuff: New races, new vehicles, the droid army. While the new trilogy is banking more on the episode 4-6 stuff. That said: Banking on episode 4-6 stuff, yet no familiar planets?! Come on Disney!!

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

jump

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan but I've seen the last few films in the cinema but I wont being going to see Solo for the simple reasons of Harrison Ford is Han Solo and the trailers only look so-so.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Alber-san

@Henmii
I agree with most of the things you said. But even those golden points you mentioned have flaws: force ghosts can now fully interact with the world around them sooo... they can just go save everyone when necessary.
The praetorian guard scene is also flawed, how can Rey, who has NO training defeat a group of highly trained soldiers who were supposed to protect Snoke? And did you know one of their weapons just disappears out of the last praetorian guard's hand? They couldn't refilm that scene?

The problen with Luke is that even if you have your moment of weakness how long is it supposed to last? 30 years!!?? It's so out of character for Luke to put his friends in danger because he feels he failed because he somehow thought killing a child was a good idea. Everything in the movie is flawed, that's the problem.

Online games:

Henmii

@Alber-san,

I don't know about the weapon from one of the guards (I didn't notice), but yeah Rey is overpowered. But I just feel that is because we don't know her full past yet. I still feel like she knows the force for much longer and that she even may be evil. I don't buy that her whole past is: sold by drunkards, and that's it!

"force ghosts can now fully interact with the world around them sooo... they can just go save everyone when necessary"

That's a good point.

As for Luke: He is bitter because he is dissapointed in himself. He think's he failed not only because of that weak moment but also because a hateful person could grow right in his lap. Sure a super-Jedi only has good students in his/her rank?

Henmii

Illusion

My opinion:
TFA: a good promising start to a new chunk of Star Wars lore. Surprising that Rey a poor scavenger from a desert planet with a walking stick easily holds her own against a trained dark jedi, but I'll overlook this.
Rogue One: Rebels portrayed as awful people who will "do what must be done" to bring back the bloated and inefficient New Republic. Hated every character but KS2 the robot who had more humanity and sense than the rest of the cast put together.
TLJ: so many many many many things wrong with this movie, but my ultimate gripe? The hyperspace kamikaze that can wreck a Super Duper Star Destroyer and the rest of the First Order fleet. Why? Because now that this is a thing, it should've been used to solve EVERY problem in Star Wars. Find a droid fleet? Send a disposable kamokaze clone out to blow it up with this tactic, only costs a capital ship and vice versa for the army of amoral droids.
Space Station that can destroy planets? Why aren't the rebels who will "do what must be done" for victory ramming death stars at hyperspace? They're portrayed as zealous enough in Rogue One, but I digress...
I consider myself a huge star wars fan. I read the novels, have the video games and toys, and I love episodes I-VI as well as the Clone Wars and Rebels shows. I'm not going to watch Solo, or Episode IX or Boba Fett because after an okay movie and two awful movies I don't trust Disney or the critics which have given all the new stuff great scores with this franchise anymore. I'll just be over here enjoying everything Star Wars from before then.

Illusion

Alber-san

@Henmii
I'm pretty sure JJ Abrams will fix Rey's problem in episode IX but why doesn't she know she was trained? And if she wasn't then there's still the problem.

As for Luke, that doesn't explain why he almost killed Kylo and then abandoned his friends just because he thought he had failed. It is still out of character. Had he been a new character it would still have been a prpblem because nobody abandons the whole galaxy because of a failure. You eventually change your mind. It doesn't take you 30 years to realize the galaxy needs you.

And why did anyone have Luke's map in TFA if he didn't want anybody to find him? That's a huge plot hole RJ created just cause "subversion" ugh

Online games:

Alber-san

@Alikan
Exact same thoughts I have, except I liked Rogue One and dislike Rebels. And you actually strengthen my point. Those of us who are deep into Star Wars lore hate TLJ while the people who are less attached to the franchise's lore seem to like it. That's a huge problem for Disney as the former are the ones who maintain the hype for each movie.

Online games:

Deku-Scrub

@Fandabidozi They probably are all secretly wishing to get the same excitement they did from ANH and ESB, which is perfectly fine, as those 2 films to most are considered to be the best in the franchise.

@Alber-san I've watched all the movies, The Clone Wars, and Rebels, including a couple books and comics, but I vastly prefer the live action and animation renditions of Star Wars (I also loved The Force Unleashed, Battlefront 2 (Classic), and the KOTOR games, which I still am playing).

When it comes to the TLJ controversy, I completely understand people's complaints, and I agree with many of them. I honestly found the Fin and Rose sub-plot to be pointless like 90% of everyone else, and many other characters in it were relatively pointless or they made stupid decisions. I still enjoyed the film, but it is definitely VERY flawed.

In Episode IX I'm mainly hoping to see what in the world could happen next, most of the leader figures in TLJ were killed off, leaving the story in an awkward place, so at this point I'm just hoping to find out useful things about the Sequel trilogy characters (Including Knights of Ren, they were introduced, and then nothing else happened with them, which was disappointing.).

I feel like there's a lack of things Disney and Lucasfilm can do past the Empire VS Rebellion era like you briefly mentioned in your post. The Sequel Trilogy is more of a way for Disney to get people on board for the new era of Star Wars, rather than flesh out genuinely interesting characters like how the prequels and original trilogy worked together in my opinion. I am mainly hoping that we see movies based upon The Old Republic, but with the prequels doing bad, and Disney virtually only focusing on stuff during the Empire Era and Post-Empire, I feel like this will never happen since they view it as a danger zone for stories. The upcoming Boba Fett and Obi-Wan movies for example despite them both having a plethora of content and back-story within the Prequel Trilogy, will be having movies focusing in on them between Episode 3 and 4 just like every other Spin-Off we've had so far which is honestly very disappointing.

I love Star Wars to death, and Disney has done some questionable things with the franchise, but as long as it maintains the general spirit of Star Wars, I'll be riding the wave for now.

Edited on by Deku-Scrub

Deku-Scrub

Joycon Boy Forever

Currently Playing:

Deku-Scrub

Alber-san wrote:

@Alikan
Exact same thoughts I have, except I liked Rogue One and dislike Rebels. And you actually strengthen my point. Those of us who are deep into Star Wars lore hate TLJ while the people who are less attached to the franchise's lore seem to like it. That's a huge problem for Disney as the former are the ones who maintain the hype for each movie.

On the topic of Rebels, I found the series to be an absolute waste of potential. Season 2 in my opinion was the absolute peak of the series, since the most development happened then, but Season 3 was an absolute joke. They were hyping that season up to be the season of Ezra turning to the dark side, yet despite the almost inescapable pull the dark side has on people, Ezra in just one episode went from a padawan going down the dark side of the force, to exactly who he was before in Season 2. Just think of what they could have done with the dynamic between Ezra and Maul if Ezra went with Maul to train with him for a while. I don't know, Rebels is just such a disappointment in my opinion. The only benefit of it in my eyes is that we got a continuation of Ahsoka, Hondo, Rex, Maul, and the rest of the Clone Wars type people.

Deku-Scrub

Joycon Boy Forever

Currently Playing:

Illusion

@Alber-san I mostly enjoyed the Rogue One space battle and every scene with Darth Vader.
Major gripes with Rogue One include Saw Gerrera's rebels who just had to speak in an Arabic-like language on a desert planet mowing down an imperial convoy. Saw Gerrera himself who isn't built up enough and shows up for minimal screen time and is so devoted to continuing the violent fight against the imps he refuses to move his bionic butt when he has plenty of time to escape.
Jyn attacking people who are literally breaking her out of a prison transport. Who does that?
The conoluted VHS tape archive for data storage and the cut people in half escape hatch that leads to it because reasons and who the heck treks to the top of the tower to broadcast things when they just as easily could've put a VCR in the tape archive room that connects using a wire to the satellite.
Non-force user donnie yen using the force constantly. The rebels really should just chant that going into battle to make every storm trooper and ATAT shoot wide-don't get me wrong though, loved his character...okay I like him and KS2 lol.
The single turbolaser that turns a foggy valley with crap for sensors into a killzone, meaning rebel fighters can evade 15,000 turbolasers by moving too fast, but one is a serious hazard and later when rebel air support blasts apart the AT-CTs easily, I assume their armor was not made too tough for blasters being cargo movers, but how would Hoth have played out if the rebels used their Xwings there? Many other numerous nitpicks that led to my disliking the movie, but I'd rather watch it 24 times in a row than sit through TLJ again.

Illusion

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic