Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,381 to 1,400 of 1,420

JoeDiddley

I watched The Day After Tomorrow last Saturday as a silly popcorn movie.

But then Trump pulled out of the Paris agreement.

The movie is still very silly (obviously) but perhaps I'd have had a different experience if I'd have watched it this weekend.

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
3DS: 5327-0913-7260

Vinny

Not a movie but recently i've been watching a lot of the Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy. Funny how it aired when i was a kid (early-mid 2000s) but i had never watched it until now. It's very funny and i really like "Inconsequential" cartoons without continuity; to me they just feel more relaxing.

Edited on by Vinny

The years keep coming and they don't stop coming.

Discord: This cord
Tumblr: Where I post... stuff.

6ch6ris6

The Witch
entertaining movie overall but the ending is just boring.

Steam: ACAB or 6ch6ris6
waiting for a pricedrop on switch

Mdid

Wonder Woman was amazing!

Look Right on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1148161536
YouTube Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNrTyyBYYaU

RR529

Sand Castle (Netflix Original) - Film about a disillusioned US soldier during the invasion of Iraq in the early 00's. It focuses on how he and his fellow soldiers are sent out to provide water to various villages (and to fix their broken piping system), and have to watch out for insurgent fighters all the while. I thought it was alright. Not one of the better war films I've seen, but I also don't watch much based on the fight in the middle east, so it was at least a bit different.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

RR529

Halo: Legends (Netflix) - Anime anthology film, consisting of 8 short stories set in the Halo universe (each animated by a different studio). The first two were just basic series backstory as narrated by Cortana, and while that's fine, the other six are where things really start getting interesting. I really enjoyed it all the way through (the only thing I didn't care for was the art direction in part 3, though it had perhaps the most unique story/narrative). Really great watch if you're into Halo or sci-fi/anime in general, IMO.

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

RR529

Disney's Moana (Netflix) - This was a good time. It really had that fantasy adventure feel to it that the Disney films of my childhood had (Frozen came close, but I feel this was better) which I appreciated, it had some absolutely beautiful visuals, I got a few laughs out of it, and most surprisingly I nearly teared up in a few places. Combined with Big Hero Six & Zootopia, I think it might be safe to say core Disney may be hitting a new renaissance.

DiscoDriver44

Independence Day Ressurection 4/10 Boring movie...just a dumber, lamer, and Will Smith less verison of the original with none of the cheesy campy charm of the original and effects that look like they came from 2002. We see so many summer blockbusters with pretty effects nowadays. What makes this one special?

Edited on by DiscoDriver44

DiscoDriver44

Vinny

John Wick (2014): Great action movie. Just straight to the point action, no impossible physics, unnecessary explosions, annoying shaky camera. And John Wick actually reloads his guns!
I also really liked the concept of the assassin society. Overall, awesome action action movie.

The years keep coming and they don't stop coming.

Discord: This cord
Tumblr: Where I post... stuff.

skywake

Not about a movie so much as something happened to me today relating to a movie. I needed a haircut and I was walking towards the hairdressers. Then over the shopping centre PA "Stuck in the Middle with You" comes on. So being a fan of Tarantino I decided that I didn't need a haircut afterall.....

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Bunkerneath

@RR529 If you liked Starship Troopers, DO NOT watch the sequels, they are all kinds of awful

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat

Davidv

Most recent film I saw on the cinema was Baby Driver, really enjoyed it. Edgar Wright is one of my favourite directors and his usual attention to detail shows in the use of music and sound effects synchronising with it. Some fantastic car chases too.

Davidv

RR529

Star Wars: the Force Awakens (DVD) - I'm not a huge SW fan, but I've seen all the films at some point or another, and like sci-fi in general, so it was a fun time. Great effects, action, and world building/design, with a few familiar faces thrown in. Also, it's a very nice break after all the superhero fare out there in terms of blockbusters. Not yet sold on the villains though (Kylo Ren is sort of dorky looking, and the big bad, can't remember his name, seems like a rehash of Palpatine. In comparison, at least Kylo Ren has a reason to ape the whole Darth Vader shtick).

Police Academy (Netflix) - Never saw this before, so I decided to check it out. Decently fun time, but not something I could see myself running back to.

MegaTen

Even though I grew up the the latter, I prefer Star Wars : Episode I - III over Star Wars : Episode IV - VI by a long shot. This wasn't always the case, but over the years they just grew more and more on me. The sound-design, world-building, soundtrack, and story are so much more sophisticated in my opinion. They have aged so much better too. A brilliant, but tragic story. Guess I am one of the few of the "older generation of fans" who holds this opinion.

DiscoDriver44

Transformers 5 makes Transformers 4 look like The Rock.

What a convoluted mess.

DiscoDriver44

6ch6ris6

Silver Linings

my girlfriend thinks it's really good. i don't.

Edited on by 6ch6ris6

Steam: ACAB or 6ch6ris6
waiting for a pricedrop on switch

Peek-a-boo

@6ch6ris6 It’s a great book, but doesn’t translate its themes very well into the film.

I liked the performances by Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, but Robert De Niro character was much, much softer than the father in the book to the point that he plays an altogether different person. A lot of women I know seem to like Silver Linings Playbook for some reason though.

@Davidv I went into Baby Driver completely blind and OMG! If it isn’t just about the best film I have seen this year! The way the soundtrack is in sync with the action on-screen is absolutely fantastic, and every time Jamie Foxx is lurking, it was butt clenching tense. I wish he would go on to play more bad roles.

Loved the musical inspired opening when we see Baby singing along with the audience in his car while the heist is going on off-screen, almost in a breaking-the-fourth-wall kind of way. The car chases are indeed brilliant however, I actually prefer the on-foot chase in the last third to the song ‘Hocus Pocus’ by Focus.

Although I still think Hot Fuzz is Edgar Wright’s finest hour, Baby Driver is cruising just behind.

My top ten favourite films of the year so far:

1. My Life as a Courgette (or Zucchini in the US)
2. Get Out
3. Baby Driver
4. A Man Called Ove
5. The LEGO Batman Movie
6. Logan
7. War for the Planet of the Apes
8. Split
9. Spider-Man: Homecoming
10. Wonder Woman (the film went downhill after the No Man’s Land scene)

Peek-a-boo

Octane

Baby Driver was indeed a good one. Probably my favourite of the year so far, maybe. I liked Logan too, despite not being a fan of the other Marvel films.

Alien was balls.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Dunkirk later this week. I'm curious to see what Nolan can do with a historical war film. The Prestige and the Batman films are one of my favourites, and I'm a big fan of Memento too, so I hope Dunkirk follows too.

Octane

Davidv

@Peek-a-boo it's a shame what happened with Ant Man but it meant he could focus on getting Baby Driver made so not all bad. I agree, that opening was brilliant especially with all the little touches like lyrics to the song on the wall as graffiti.

I watched the Noir version of Logan for the first time the other night, gives it a slightly different feel. Definitely one of the better superhero films of late, did enjoy Spiderman: Homecoming but did still come off as a little by numbers at times.

Davidv

Peek-a-boo

@Octane I have already got tickets to see Dunkirk on the IMAX this Friday, hooray!

I am a big fan of Memento and the Prestige however, the rest of Nolan’s filmography is pretty ho-hum for me. Interstellar was a very pretty looking mess, The Dark Knight Rises was a rather forgettable conclusion to the Dark Knight Trilogy, and I personally thought that Inception got worse as the film went on; it ended up being a James Bond movie by the end of it all.

I’m well aware that he is a popular and much admired director though.

And urgh, thanks for reminding me about Alien Covenant. Such a disappointment after the initial teaser trailer that seemed to get what Alien is all about. I would be a happy man if I never had to see or hear anything about that film again.

I’ve seen fifteen films at the cinema so far this year (Dunkirk will be the sixteenth), and the bottom five consisted of The Mummy (a friend dragged me along to see this...), Pirates of the Caribbean (the first PotC film is still the best), Alien: Covenant, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and John Wick: Chapter 2.

@Davidv I actually thought Ant Man was really good! Yes, it would have been nice to see Wright’s version, but I don’t think the supposedly aforementioned bad outcome came to be. I am glad we got Baby Driver instead.

I will see the noir version of Logan when the film has gradually faded from my mind, seeing as I am not one to rewatch films more than once. The black and white version of Mad Max: Fury Road was more appealing to watch than the colour showing so, I shall look forward to watching Logan again in B&W.

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic