Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 6,561 to 6,568 of 6,568

card-crunch78

Huh, no one questioned the fact that I picked all female voices for my emotions even though I'm a guy.

Anyway, I just watched "Wreck-It Ralph" on Disney+ on my 4K TV, ha ha~

๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ

MontyCircus

RR529 wrote:

Godzilla X Kong: the New Empire 3D (Cinema) - Plot is about as dumb as a box of rocks

I LOVED Godzilla vs. Kong, but was really sad that I didn't get to watch it in theatres (we were in COVID lockdown). And here I was, in the theatre, watching the sequel, and the final battle comes and I was bored to tears and couldn't wait to get out of the theatre.

The Favourite (Blu-Ray) - Picked this up thrifting, and while it does have it's merits, I just don't think it's my kinda thing. That's okay though, it's good to take a step out of your comfort zone every once in awhile, even if it doesn't always pay off.

Yorgos Lanthimos is one of 3 directors on my "Do Not Watch" list. I made a rule to only watch his films if they're nominated for Best Picture. And, cruelly, they always seem to be. So at this point I hate watch them to get them over with and cross them off.

MontyCircus

MontyCircus

Saw Beetlejuice in preparation for the upcoming sequel (cleverly titled Beetlejuice Beetlejuice).

My sister and I LOVED it to pieces as kids. The naughty bits mixed with all the impressive special effects really entertained.

Seeing it now, decades later, it isn't nearly as entertaining. But it's still fun enough. A couple of jokes I get now that I didn't when I was 9, like what "valium" and "civil servants" are. At least it introduced us to Harry Belafonte's music!

MontyCircus

Rambler

MontyCircus wrote:

Yorgos Lanthimos is one of 3 directors on my "Do Not Watch" list. I made a rule to only watch his films if they're nominated for Best Picture. And, cruelly, they always seem to be. So at this point I hate watch them to get them over with and cross them off.

I don't remember Dogtooth, Alps, The Lobster, or Killing of a Sacred Deer getting a best pic Oscar nod?
Who are your other two directors?

Rambler

MontyCircus

Rambler wrote:

I don't remember Dogtooth, Alps, The Lobster, or Killing of a Sacred Deer getting a best pic Oscar nod?

I first heard of Yorgos when my sister told me: "We just saw a movie called The Lobster on Netflix. You have to see it! You won't believe a movie can be this bad!"

I declined to watch it. Next thing I know, The Killing of a Sacred Deer is getting rave reviews, so we rush out to see it. Ugh. The actors were all talking like robots or something. My sister said: "Yeah, that's just how The Lobster was!" That's when I made my "Best Picture" rule for ol' Yorgos. Unfortunately for me The Favourite and Poor Things followed.

Who are your other two directors?

Wes Anderson and Robert Altman. Could probably add Fellini and Kurosawa.

You might be thinking: "Those are all the best directors who have made scores of the greatest films of all-time! Stick to mindless superhero blockbusters you cultureless swine!"

Well, I don't really have a defense. I was convinced, and was eager, to watch a bunch of each of their films based on their reputations, critical acclaim and user ratings. And almost every time ended up feeling baffled or even swindled. They're just not for me.

But I continue to seek out movies from literally every genre (except children's films), from blockbusters to indies, always on the hunt for a good time. Even if it doesn't seem like my kind of film, at all, I give it a shot as long as both critics and audiences seem to love it.

MontyCircus

CaleBoi25

The Patriot with Mel Gibson.
Pretty good film, as a very sensitive person, there were a few scenes where I cold not look, but overall a good plot. If you are a brit do not watch /hj

SplatComp

Don't be sad; don't be emo--
Go and watch Finding Nemo.

Sorry, I can't stop changing my PFP!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3225-4369-7994 | My Nintendo: CaleBoi25

RR529

Civil War (Cinema) - Set during a hypothetical modern US civil war, the film doesn't take any time to set up why the conflict is happening in the first place nor does it take a hard line politically (while there may be a few subtle hints of Trump in the president come dictator, such as a dismantling of the FBI & a murderous distrust of the media, his political party is left unmentioned, & while the unlikely union of Texas & California's "Western Forces" is the predominant rebel force against the government, the film doesn't portray them as heroes or liberators). Rather, it focuses on a small group of photojournalists making the dangerous trek from NYC to the front line, in the hopes of documenting the WF's historic seige of D.C., travelling through the ruined carcasses of towns which the fighting has already passed through, documenting small outer skirmishes, stopping at a small town that has seemingly managed to avoid the ravages of war, a refugee camp, & more on their way to the big show. While it may disappoint some that it doesn't take a blatant hard line stance on current political discourse, the imagery is all too often raw & pulls no punches when it comes to the brutality of war from all involved, and it had more than one absolutely heart stopping moment.

Deadpool (Blu-Ray) - Another thrift pick up. Probably have done a write up of this one at some point before, but it remains pretty fun, and I always seem to pick up on a new reference or two I missed out on the last time I watched it. Some good, inappropriate, laughs.

Neighbors (Blu-Ray) - The last of my thrift pick ups. Seth Rogan comedy about a couple of new parents who have to make a choice between the responsibility of adulting and trying to hold on to their youth when a roudy fraternity moves in next door. It seems well made enough for what it is & provided a few laughs, but I think I just overall don't care for the vibe of Seth Rogan's work (maybe I'm just a little old at heart, but give me Chevy Chase, Dan Akroyd, or John Candy any day of the week. Heck, even Will Ferrell will do for someone a bit more modern).

Pretty Smart (Tubi) - 80's teen comedy that sees a pair of sisters with polar opposite personalities (a good girl & troublemaker respectively) sent to private school in Europe & end up in rival cliques. When it's learned that the skeevy headmaster is secretly recording the girls' dorms (& selling the tapes) and using the students to move drugs, the sisters will have to get the cliques to put aside their differences in order to take him down & save the school. Maybe not a particularly novel setup for a teen comedy of the era, but I had a load of fun with it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

ThatZeldaNerd

Guys... that last BLUEY episode hit WAY to hard๐Ÿ˜ฆ
Im not one to cry in kids TV shows... but dang bro๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ
Just watch it. You will cry.

ThatZeldaNerd

Switch Friend Code: SW-5348-4240-7813 | My Nintendo: ZeldaNerd

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic