Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 6,568

Vinny

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 2 (2013): Based on Frank Miller's 1986 comic of the same name. Great animation and beautiful soundtrack by Christopher Drake. The main theme is still stuck on my head.

Now I gotta watch Batman: Mask of The Phantasm.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

RR529

I've seen a couple of films since my last post.

Star Trek III: the Search for Spock (Netflix) - "Great Scott Marty! What have we done to the space time continuum? I'm a Klingon!" (I seriously found that casting to be amusing). Anyhow, this one was pretty decent. Not as good as Wrath of Kahn, but still a lot better than the first.

Pleasantville (Netflix) - This one was pretty good. Two teenagers got sucked into a Leave it to Beaver like 50's family sitcom, and soon their modern real world values started to literally transform the show's universe.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

simonthomas6

Deadpool is one of the most amazing movies i've seen in months. The Deadpool in the Movie was spot on with the original Deadpool in the comics . If you haven't seen it yet I would highly recommend it.

"Captain Deadpool! No, just Deadpool."

Edited on by simonthomas6

simonthomas6

Switch Friend Code: SW-2765-4632-4215 | 3DS Friend Code: 1736-0144-0759 | Nintendo Network ID: simonthomas6

Vinny

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993). Not much to say about it, except that it's amazing.

I'll watch some Batman: TAS episodes next.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

RR529

Actually saw a bunch of movies over the past couple weeks.

Looney Tunes: Back in Action (Netflix) - Realized it'd been years since I'd watched any Looney Tunes related media, so I decided to give this a go. No film masterpiece, but it was worth a few chuckles.

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (DVD) - My father was getting ready to watch this a few days ago, so I sat down & watched it too. First one of these I watched, and it was actually pretty decent, in that dumb fun popcorn flick kind of way.

Ted 2 (DVD) - Another film I watched with the family (don't worry, we're all old enough). Humor wise, it's pretty much a very extended episode of Family Guy in a live action skin, and while it's the very definition of low brow, I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me laugh.

Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher (Netflix) - Animated Marvel flick, which I rather quite enjoyed. Pretty much, the two titular heroes end up roped together fighting the same organisation, and have to work together despite their differing methods (and yes, some other prominent heroes make an appearance as well). While the CGI used for certain humanoid figures was stiff, other than that the animation was done really well, with the level of detail in the character designs & environment in particular being quite a few notches above anything I've seen in any of the animated DC flicks.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

gcunit

PikminFan22 wrote:

Not a movie but I'm currently watching Breaking Bad. I just finished season 1 and now on season 2. I'm kinda meh on the show. I like the acting, but I'm not too interested in the characters and it's too slow for me lol

@PikminFan22 - sounds like you should back out now. In my experience, apart from a few highlights, it deteriorated as it went on. The setup and premise for the show was great, but as you say, its too slow, and far too much domesticity in it.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Vinny

Zootopia (2016): Excellent. I really liked it.

DanielDI

I'd have to go with The Matrix. Have you ever been to the movies and been so completely moved by a film that you spend days, and days, and days afterwards thinking about it? Yeah. That's The Matrix for me. And the funny thing is, I haven't seen it in years. I love the entire trilogy (yes, all of it), but The Matrix changed everything in movies for me. Without a doubt, top of my "greatest movie ever made" list. I also love the Bourne trilogy. Passionately.

DanielDI

Vinny

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010): I've never read the comic but the movie was pretty funny. Nice references too.

RR529

I've seen a few films since my last post.

Marvel's the Avengers: Age of Ultron (DVD) - A good time, like most of the other Marvel flicks. The Iron Man VS Hulk fight was one of my favorite parts.

Premature (Netflix) - Pretty much it's a raunchy Groundhog Day. Features a high school senior who's forced to live the same day over again if he umm (look at the title and figure it out) anytime during the day. Of course, there's a lesson he has to learn to fix it all. It was alright, I suppose.

Tokyo Fiancee (Netflix) - French film about a Belgian woman who moves to Japan to find herself (she was born there, but left when she was five), as she sort of has a fairy tail image of the country. She gets work as a French instructor, and quickly gets romantically invloved with her student. It's sort of an "art house" romance film, so there's lot's of nudity, but I thought it was quite interesting seeing how her vision of Japan stacks up against reality, and how she comes to terms with it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Vinny

Friday (1995): Great 90's comedy with Ice Cube and Chris Tucker. Very quotable but none of them would be appropriate for me to say here.

Dude Where's My Car (2000): A comedy about 2 friends who wake up wasted and don't remember where their car is. Surprisingly, it even involves science fiction elements (Zoltan!).
The critics panned the movie back when it came out but it has became a sort of a cult classic. I like it, but some of the gags were overused. The director later made Harold & Kumar, which I think was much funnier.

Edited on by Vinny

Tasuki

I finally saw Warcraft and for a movie based off of a video game I will say it's the best one. Yeah they did leave some key elements out of the plot which I won't go into here to avoid spoilers, but overall it was done really well. My favorite thing was the settings like Stormwind and the Dark Portal and how much they looked like they did in game!!! The orcs looked really good too and the pacing was terrific. As a fan of the game I was pleased to see how well they made it.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

RR529

I've seen a couple of films since my last post.

the Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey (TNT) - Absolutely amazing. The world presented was vibrant, full of life, and had some truely awe-inspiring scenery (impeccably crafted in every sense). The journey itself was filled with action, peril, humor, mystery, and more (really a little something for everyone, though I didn't notice any romance). Can't wait to get around to the others.

Ip Man 3 (Netflix) - the Ip Man films have always been great Hong Kong martial arts flicks, and this one's no different. I don't think any of them are as good as the first, but even so, this one was filled with plentiful amounts of expertly choreographed martial arts action that never goes too whacko (you have some typical movie embellishment, but nothing too hoacky looking). I only wish Mike Tyson was in it a bit more. I know his acting performance isn't really good, but I could only think of his portrayal in Mike Tyson Mysteries whenever he spoke, so it brought a smile to my face.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Whydoievenbother

Recently re-watched Spider-Man 2 (2004). It's one of my all time favorite movies! I love the cast, love the characters, love the fight scenes, love the twists, love the costume design, love the 2004-era CGI, love the score and everything else about it was just genius!!!

Also watched Goosebumps (2015) recently. I wasn't expecting much after a certain other Sony pictures action-adventure-comedy about characters from fiction attacking the world, with only some die-hard fans and the creator of the creatures to stop them, but I had a good time watching the film.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Vinny

Encino Man (1992): Two teenagers find a caveman (Brendan Fraser) and name him Link. He then learns to adapt to this new environment (90's California). The movie has that 90's feel and some very memorable scenes/jokes.

Edited on by Vinny

Tasuki

Saw Finding Dory last night and I will say it was as enjoyable as the first one. Another great Pixar movie.

My Backlog

Peek-a-boo

@Tasuki I like all of the Pixar films before 2010, when they were on a consistent homerun with Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up and Toy Story 3.

Then the sequels game begun to spread to their other earlier films (lack of new ideas?) with Cars 2, Monsters University and the whimsical but somewhat disappointing Brave and The Good Dinosaur.

I personally enjoyed Inside Out, although it was very hard going for the kids. I don't think they quite found the right balance of happy and fun with sad and dreary.

Finding Dory seems to be universally loved at the moment, and I am very much looking forward to seeing the film however, I cannot help but wish for the brimming creativity and imagination of Pixar before 2010.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Tasuki

@Peek-a-boo I agree, I am not too fond of the Pixar sequels except for Toy Story 2 and 3. Wasn't big on Cars 2 its hard for me to explain but it just didn't appeal to me as much as the first one. Monsters U was ok I liked it better then Cars 2 but it wasn't no Monsters Inc.

Still my favorite is still Up, just something about that movie makes me able to watch it over and over again more so then the other Pixar movies.

My Backlog

RR529

I've actually never been a big fan of Pixar. That's not to say I don't like their films (certainly better than most of what Dreamworks puts out), it's just that I grew up on all these grand adventures like Beauty & the Beast, the Little Mermaid, the Lion King, Aladdin, Atlantis, & Treasure Planet, so all these stories about the secret lives of toys, cars, monsters, fish, etc., while well made & cute, just don't grab me the same way.

Disney Animation Classics was really in a rut for a long time, following the Pixar model, just not as well (Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, Bolt, etc.), but in the past few years they seem to be getting their grove back with Frozen & Big Hero 6 (which I really liked). I also really enjoyed Wreck-it-Ralph, but it's probably just my bias for video games, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Freelance

Not a big fan of Pixar, but I'm also not a big fan of Disney these days either, other than Bolt and Zootopia. I actually like a lot more Dreamworks movies in the last several years than both Pixar and Disney put together.

It's not either of the 3 studios, but you should watch Ernest et Celestine. It's one of the best movies I've seen in my life.

Freelance

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic