it is beyond trash

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

LaserdiscGal

6ch6ris6 wrote:

just saw the super marios bros. movie.
it is beyond trash

Mario Mario and Luigi Mario would be so disappointed in you.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

6ch6ris6

Santa wrote:

6ch6ris6 wrote:

just saw the super marios bros. movie.
it is beyond trash

Mario Mario and Luigi Mario would be so disappointed in you.

maybe im just disappointed that toad had such a small role

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

RR529

Ugh, Netflix (instant) literally has no movies I'm interested in, other than a few I've already seen (and don't feel like watching right now).

It's kind of a bummer, I really got into watching Japanese movies last summer (at the time, they had a little over 40), but now they only have 20, all of which I've watched (it seems like they've lost the rights to a lot over the past few months, but haven't picked up any new Japanese movies to replace them).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

A few days ago I watched Songs From the North (Netflix).

It's a documentary that aims to show a glimpse of what life is like in North Korea (well, what parts of it they were allowed to go to anyway).

There's not much in the way of commentary. Rather they just mix in shots of regular people on the streets (who understandably don't feel much like talking, or are even nervous at the very prospect of being filmed), with footage of the kind of propaganda the people are bombarded with everyday.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

yokokazuo

A few months ago the movie "The Vancouver Asahi"which came out in late 2014, aired on TV Japan (Japanese TV station in NA with various Japanese programs available). I was busy at the time so my brother had recorded it for me and I finally got around to watching it.

It is a film based on the Canadian baseball team called the Vancouver Asahi sometime before World War II. It focuses on the team which consists of second generation Japanese Canadians and the hardships and discriminations that they faced during that time and how they worked to overcome it. I enjoyed it quite a bit, as a fourth generation half Japanese Canadian I found it very interesting and I thought the movie was done well. I've always been interested in the history on my father's side, but I haven't heard a whole lot about it from my grandparents (never really asked them about it though) so it was interesting to hear a part of the story of second generation Japanese Canadians.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

RR529

Last night I watched Charlie's Angels (Netflix).

Not a fantastic film by any means, but I found myself casually enjoying it, even if it was a bit cheesy/campy. Definitely a movie of it's time, though. A perfect example of a 3/5 on the Netflix rating scale.

@yokokazuo, that sounds like a really interesting movie. I hope I get to see it one day (I don't think our cable provider carries that channel).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

yokokazuo

@RR529 I haven't seen it listed since then though so I think it may not show up again for a little while. If the channel is available to you and you are interested, you may be able to find out how to get it here. http://tvjapan.net/en/

All the shows are in Japanese for the most part, but some of the dramas and anime shows have English subtitles.

I believe I have seen the movie uploaded to YouTube before, but I'm not sure if it is still there. Other than that, I'm not sure if it is available in North America.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

RR529

Purchased The Last Samurai (DVD).

It was only a little over $4, and I needed to get a little something extra to get my latest Amazon order over the $35 threshold (for free shipping), so I figured why not.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

6ch6ris6

i saw Solaris (2002) yesterday.
interesting to see the reviews are all over the place. some love it. some hate. i liked it. never saw the original from sowjetunion though. i think the movie is very different usual modern movies. if you accept that then you can really enjoy it. also the soundtrack is superb!

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

RR529

Watched Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (Netflix) tonight.

Much like the first one, it isn't something I'd ever add to my collection, but I enjoyed it enough I suppose. 3/5 on the Netflix rating scale.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Tonight I watched Sin City (Netflix).

I can't believe how long it took me to get to this, because it was fantastic. I loved it's unique visual style, all three stories had me hooked, and I like the way they sort of intertwined. It's definitely for the adults only though.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

LaserdiscGal

RR529 wrote:

I can't believe how long it took me to get to this, because it was fantastic. I loved it's unique visual style, all three stories had me hooked, and I like the way they sort of intertwined. It's definitely for the adults only though.

Now you have to watch the sequel

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

RR529

Waluigi wrote:

RR529 wrote:

Yeah, hopefully Netflix gets it some point in the future.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

the_shpydar

RR529 wrote:

Waluigi wrote:

RR529 wrote:

Yeah, hopefully Netflix gets it some point in the future.

I'd also recommend the sequel, though be aware that it's not quite as good. I can't even really explain it — there's not really any tangible reason why, but it just feels ... off. Maybe it's just that it lacks the impact that the original movie had (the visual style and such). It's still a good film, and definitely worth watching (especially if you're a fan of the original graphic novels).

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

jump

Speaking of Sin City 2...as much as I like Eva Green I've now seen in boobs (as fantastic as they are) in so many movies & shows now that it's lost all impact on me to the point my girlfriend was calling me gay as I was telling her I think Eva Green needs to cover up more.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

RR529

After months of absence, Netflix finally added a new Japanese movie to their streaming service, so it's once again time for Cinema Nihongo Thursday!

This time I watched Tokyo Tribe (Netflix).

In this movie, the entirety of Tokyo is a run down ghetto (for reasons never explained), and all of it's neighborhoods (Shinjuku, Akihabara, Ikebukaro, ect.) are now controlled by various rival street gangs.

In the story (told via lots of gangsta rap), the various gangs must team up when the biggest, worst gang of them all (you know, because their leader is a cannibal, in addition to a gangsta) threatens to destroy them all.

At the end of the day, I wasn't a fan. In addition to my general dislike of hip-hop (especially of the gangsta variety), I just couldn't take the main villains seriously due to how over the top they were, and I felt like they didn't spend enough time with the one "good" gang before s*** went down to really feel for them, or the rest of the gangs. It was just odd in a few places as well.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Tonight I watched Teen Witch (Netflix).

A total 80's cheese fest, but that's what I was looking for going in, so I wasn't disappointed. Typical story, about the unpopular teenage high school girl discovering she's a witch, uses said powers to become popular, but then learns what's really important in life.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Surprised there hasn't been any Oscars talk, yet. Anyway here's my notes:

• Chris Rock did an okay job. It's not to say he wasn't funny, I actually think he did a good job handling the contraversy, but he should have kept it to the monologue. They joked about it so much, that by the end of the night it's like "Okay, we get it, can you do anything else?".
  • Sacha Baron Cohen was absolutely most embarrassing part of the night. I'm actually suprised I haven't seen anyone mention his comments, especially after all the talk about diversity (I know it was supposed to be a joke, but it was tasteless, and didn't belong at this ceremony). What a boob.
  • As for a more positive note, the skits they did with C3PO, R2D2, BB-8, and Buzz & Woody, and the Minions were humorous.
  • Finally, congratulations to all the winners. I don't watch many movies in the theaters, so I wasn't really rooting for anything in particular. I rather use the event to see if there are any interesting movies to look out for when they release for home video. I'm looking foward to seeing Bridge of Spies, Creed, Disney's Cinderella, Disney/Pixar's Inside Out, Ex-Machina, Mad Max: Fury Road, Martian, the, Revenant, the, Son of Saul, Star Wars: the Force Awakens, and When Marnie Was Here

Of course, I knew about most of those films, but there were a couple that were new to me.

EDIT: Can you not bullet point in the forums after the update? I tried bullet pointing my thoughts (with a method that used to work, and still does on Push Square, which still has the old design), but everything came out as one big paragraph...

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Last night I watched Stardust (Netflix)! I've had it on my queue for a while, but for some reason procrastinated in getting to it. Glad I finally watched it though, as it was a great watch.

It's a really enjoyable fantasy adventure that sees a young man from 1800's England traveling to a magical kingdom to collect a fallen star, as a token of love to the woman he loves. However, what he finds is more than he bargained for, and he finds himself on a grand adventure filled with witches, sky pirates, a royal power struggle, & more. It's not going to rock your world, but is a wonderfully solid adventure.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic