Forums

Topic: Metroid VS Halo

Posts 141 to 153 of 153

CanisWolfred

BedCommando wrote:

Metroid evolved platformers into something greater for all players.
Halo almost destroyed the FPS genre for hardcore plays by introducing "noob mode" as a standard.
(The term "noob mode" refers to a gameplay mechanic that automatically regenerates the players vitals after a few seconds).
The choice is obvious, Metroid.

Except Metroid sucks for people who don't enjoy getting lost.
Halo only destroyed FPSes for those who like backtracking through empty, samey corridors looking for health packs instead of moving on to the next action-packed firefight.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

BedCommando

Halo only destroyed FPSes for those who like backtracking through empty, samey corridors looking for health packs instead of moving on to the next action-packed firefight.

Metroid games have maps nowadays to prevent those lesser experienced players from getting lost.
About the backtracking for health packs, it's managing your resources for when you need it. Considering the game doesn't spoon feed you health, you have to decide to take it now, or save it for later. Just another thing that adds to the fun and skill of being a hardcore FPS player.

Edited on by BedCommando

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (OnLive)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (XBLA)

CanisWolfred

BedCommando wrote:

Metroid games have maps nowadays to prevent those lesser experienced players from getting lost.
About the backtracking for health packs, it's managing your resources for when you need it. Considering the game doesn't spoon feed you health, you have to decide to take it now, or save it for later. Just another thing that adds to the fun and skill of being a hardcore FPS player.

A) Even with maps, I still hear people complaining about getting lost constantly
B) If that's what you call "Fun." Personally, I'm only having fun in a Shooter when I actually shooting at something, so looking around for health isn't exactly much fun to me. Regenerating health is there to reduce the time spent in between action segments, so to me, it's actually a massive improvement, and I know I'm not alone in that assessment.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

turtlelink wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

JumpMad wrote:

This is like if Someone trying to compare Mario to God of War

It happens.

Don't even have to look at the comments to guess who the users are cheering for.

Rooting? They're not rooting for anything. They're just insulting eachother or one game or another, and arguing over frivilous things (kinda like what we've been doing, albeit to a lesser degree).

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

BedCommando

Mickeymac wrote:

A) Even with maps, I still hear people complaining about getting lost constantly
B) If that's what you call "Fun." Personally, I'm only having fun in a Shooter when I actually shooting at something, so looking around for health isn't exactly much fun to me. Regenerating health is there to reduce the time spent in between action segments, so to me, it's actually a massive improvement, and I know I'm not alone in that assessment.

A) If people are getting lost with a map...They're a lost cause, really. It's like having a calculator and not being able to do basic math.
2) I'm a hardcore FPS gamer, so the harder it is (Not due to bad design, of course!), the more fun and traditional it feels, considering I grew up with Wolfenstein, DOOM, and Duke Nukem. Halo almost ruined this, considering how so many games have followed up with noob-mode, such as Call of Duty, Gears of War, Uncharted, Killzone 2, War for Cybertron, just to name afew. (I'm well aware I named some TPS, but it applies as well). Nowadays it's much harder to find a good, challenging shooter because of Halo and it's influence.
Now Metroid has caused no backlash while advancing 2D platformers to a whole new level of enjoyment, and it's influence is still doing good thanks to the recent 2D Castlevania (Or should I say, Metroidvania) games. As long as you can read a map (Which since the some of the latest Castlevania titles have been on the DS, the map can always be seen on the other screen), casuals won't have a problem diving into these games, while the hardcore platformers are pleased with the traditional mechanics that are now staples.
Both sides are happy.

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)

Aviator

So Halo is the death of gaming, similar to E.T.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

BedCommando

Aviator wrote:

So Halo is the death of gaming, similar to E.T.

Hahaha. For the hardcore FPS player, it almost was.

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)

HolyMackerel

At least Halo didn't introduce easy-mode cover systems and real-time events ("Press A to not die"). Now those are a blight on the face of gaming.

HolyMackerel

BedCommando

They're called QTE (Quick-Time Events), but yeah, those are nice every once in awhile as a finishing move, like in God of War or Dante's Inferno.

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)

HolyMackerel

Oh yeah, QTE. I was racking the recesses of my brain for the name, but I generally dislike them so much that the name was ejected permanently.

...Thanks for reminding me.

I only liked them in Shenmue. And that was because they were original at the time. Including them in action games makes no sense to me.

HolyMackerel

The_Fox

BedCommando wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

2) I'm a hardcore FPS gamer, so the harder it is (Not due to bad design, of course!), the more fun and traditional it feels, considering I grew up with Wolfenstein, DOOM, and Duke Nukem. Halo almost ruined this, considering how so many games have followed up with noob-mode, such as Call of Duty, Gears of War, Uncharted, Killzone 2, War for Cybertron, just to name afew. (I'm well aware I named some TPS, but it applies as well). Nowadays it's much harder to find a good, challenging shooter because of Halo and it's influence.

Not really. You can easily up the difficulty on the games. After all, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and all of the other "hardcore FPS" titles (whatever that means) were pretty easy unless you cranked the difficulty. And regenerating health a godsend for online modes, as it prevents players from camping health respawns (I'm looking your way, Quake series).

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

CanisWolfred

The+Fox wrote:

BedCommando wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Not really. You can easily up the difficulty on the games. After all, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and all of the other "hardcore FPS" titles (whatever that means) were pretty easy unless you cranked the difficulty. And regenerating health a godsend for online modes, as it prevents players from camping health respawns (I'm looking your way, Quake series).

I'd agree, although I'm going under the assumption that any hardcore FPS player wouldn't play on anything lower than the absolute highest difficulty.

With that said, I always start an FPS on "Hard" (which is usually medium, anyways), and I find that I die as many times in DOOM as I do in Halo. The only difference is in DOOM, I'm hoping the guys I down drop health and not ammunition, while in Halo I just hope my health regenerates before I die. Ultimately it evens out.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

BedCommando

The Fox wrote:

Hardcore FPS titles are FPS' that don't spoon feed you with noob-mode, and force you to manage your resources like health and ammo carefully otherwise you'll die if you're not skilled enough. Also, as someone stated, the hardcore FPS player would obviously just play on the hardest difficulty.
As for online, while I prefer not playing with health packs, if there are any, you can count on people camping around them. So already you know where your opposition is, and they don't know where you are, so it's upto you to sneak up on him, and for him to spot you. Plus you mentioned Quake for it, one of the most frantic (And frantic means FUN) FPS'. so just railgun the sucker before he railguns you considering you can hipfire any gun in Quake.

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.