Forums

Topic: Legacy: Goldeneye 007 VS. Halo

Posts 1 to 20 of 31

CanisWolfred

Simple question: which game had a greater influence on the FPS genre, Goldeneye 007 or the Halo series? Whether it be through gameplay, sales, excetra. Simply put: How did they help to advance console FPS'? Obviously I'm asking for an informative answer: back it up with some facts please.

NOTE: I'm NOT asking which game you liked more! That question has already been asked, and I'm confident the answer will remain the same. Nobody cares, and it's not relevent to this question.

For the moment, I'm going to withhold my own opinion in the effort of starting things off on a nuetral base (If that makes sense).

Now, let the debate begin.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Oregano

I'd say Halo. There wasn't an explosion in the popularity and abundance of FPSs after Goldeneye. There was after Halo.

Please sign the petition to get Nintendo to integrate Social Features directly in the Switch OS/Hardware:
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-integrated-network-features-on-nintendo-switch-voice-chat-lobby

irken004

I'd say Halo for the same reasons as Oregano, but I'll also add that Goldeneye most likely heavily influenced the multiplayer aspect of future FPS games.

grenworthshero

Goldeneye pretty much created console FPS games as we know them today. Especially the multiplayer aspects of the game. All Halo did was popularize them. With Halo, it was more the way they utilized online capabilities and focused on expanding multiplayer. Goldeneye reinvented an entire genre. No one ever talks about the campaign mode on Halo.

Edited on by grenworthshero

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

CanisWolfred

irken004 wrote:

I'd say Halo for the same reasons as Oregano, but I'll also add that Goldeneye most likely heavily influenced the multiplayer aspect of future FPS games.

Then shoot: How did it influence the multiplayer? Personally I thought it wasn't much different than any other FPS of the time - Doom II, Quake II, etc. But then again, I never spent much time with it.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

irken004

Mickeymac wrote:

irken004 wrote:

Then shoot: How did it influence the multiplayer? Personally I thought it wasn't much different than any other FPS of the time - Doom II, Quake II, etc.

That's why though. The multiplayer aspect of Goldeneye was simply fun. Having a 4-person splitscreen match was a highlight of the game. Once online support was added to game consoles, they used it to expand on this same multiplayer aspect. Halo beefed it up by adding more players, larger maps, and overall became more popular.

V8_Ninja

While Halo was popular, it really didn't do anything in terms of innovation. Goldeneye was the one that introduced multiplayer, which Halo then popularized. So, in my opinion Goldeneye was the one that did the most innovation.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

Kid_A

I'm still thoroughly confused as to what Halo actually did. I mean, it's fun and all, but I don't understand how it really changed anything. Besides being set in space and having a somewhat cohesive story, it's just like any other shooter I've ever played. Goldeneye (and especially Perfect Dark) set everything in place--Halo just made everything bigger and prettier.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AlexSays

There's a fatal flaw in this thread

Those on Goldeneye's side are saying 'oh teh innovation' which goes along with the gameplay mentioned in the original post. And those on Halo's side are going 'oh teh popularity' which goes along with the sales.

You can attack this from two different angles. Goldeneye though just perfected on consoles what had already been done on the PC. It didn't invent the genre, it borrowed from other places and made a solid N64 game. Like someone else said, Halo did what Goldeneye did, except blew everything up to a much larger scale.

If we're talking impact, the Halo series is now one of the top FPS series in gaming history. There wasn't a flurry of FPS games after Goldeneye, and people now complain about a flood of FPS games cause of the popularity of Halo (and COD..).

They both borrowed from previous FPS games. One made the genre about 5000 times more popular than it was though. Innovation, or what little there was, aside, only one really impacted the genre.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

Bankai

Goldeneye was reasonably innovative in creating objectives beyond "kill everything from point a to point b"

The difference is this: like every "first," Goldeneye was also plagued by all kinds of problems. Poor controls (the N64 controller didn't help), terrible AI, poorly-implemented story.

Halo created a FPS strucutre that is often borrowed from today. No one copies Goldeneye.

So, Goldeneye was important in the development of console FPSers, but Halo, ultimately is more influential now

SpentAllMyTokens

WaltzElf wrote:

The difference is this: like every "first," Goldeneye was also plagued by all kinds of problems. Poor controls (the N64 controller didn't help), terrible AI, poorly-implemented story.

N64 controller > Dual Analog. Other than that, I pretty much agree with WaltzElf on this one.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but I just can't do that type of control system.

Edited on by SpentAllMyTokens

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

Deviant_Mugen

@Token+Girl: I agree with you on that 100%...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

Kaeobais

grenworthshero wrote:

Goldeneye pretty much created console FPS games as we know them today. Especially the multiplayer aspects of the game. All Halo did was popularize them. With Halo, it was more the way they utilized online capabilities and focused on expanding multiplayer. Goldeneye reinvented an entire genre. No one ever talks about the campaign mode on Halo.

This is true. I love Halo, but you definitely don't hear people talking about the campaign ... ever.

@Token Girl: Lol, pshaw. Dual Analog is great. N64 controller made getting any sort of headshot (or even a torso shot :/) in FPSs IMPOSSIBLE, the damn thing hurt your thumb, and the stick usually broke after too much play. However, if your complaint is just that the DUAL aspect of the Dual Analog is hard to use (IE: Moving with the left stick and looking around with the right) I can understand that. My sister has the exact same problem

The best strategy in the game: go up stairs and pause balls.

Splat

Umm the N64 controller was amazing.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

Kaeobais

Splat wrote:

Umm the N64 controller was amazing.

I wouldn't say amazing. It was good, sure, but the analog stick was a crap sandwich.

The best strategy in the game: go up stairs and pause balls.

NotEnoughGolds

Halo set the standards for dual-analog FPS control.

NotEnoughGolds

Cia

So which game created console platforming? Mario or Crash Bandicoot? The answer is as clear as the winner of this question: Goldeneye.

Cia

Masz52

Token+Girl wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

N64 controller > Dual Analog. Other than that, I pretty much agree with WaltzElf on this one.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but I just can't do that type of control system.

Hurl

Keyboard + mouse > dual analog >>>>>>>>> N64 controller

In fact, I'm planning on re-buying Perfect Dark and maybe Banjo-Kazooie on XBLA so I don't have to play them with the N64 controller. I love the N64, and the controller itself is okay, but it's control stick...bleh.

Splat

Keyboard and mouse is by far my least favorite way to play games but to each his own.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

AlexSays

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Halo set the standards for dual-analog FPS control.

Not just that

For every FPS on consoles

You see any Goldeneye control methods still around? Heck no, it was horrible.

AlexSays

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.