Forums

Topic: Jurassic Park (1993)

Posts 21 to 28 of 28

Kid_A

theblackdragon wrote:

Kid_A wrote:

It's weird because you wouldn't think the book would be better--considering the movie was so amazing at the time because of its special effects.

i know, right? and yet the book was way better, thus speaking volumes for the quality of the book. man, i read that book so much when i was younger i ended up destroying it. I still need a new copy.

As for The Lost World, however... the movie was definitely not as great as the first, though the book was solid as ever. And Congo and Sphere were both much better books than they were movies... :/ Never did see The 13th Warrior, though, even though that book was also good from what I remember of it. :3 I can't believe he's dead either. :/

Now, I was dissapointed with the Lost World (the book). I must admit I didn't finish it; seems like Crichton used that book as a soapbox to preach his staunch evolutionary views. Sphere is probably my favorite book of his (which is why I can't bring myself to watch the movie. I just know it'll be dissapointing)

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

theblackdragon

@Kid_A: oh, the movie [Sphere] was absolute crap; don't even waste your time on it. Congo the movie wasn't great either... i much preferred the book.

As for TLW, i loved it, evolutionary-view-soapboxing or not -- i don't really read between the lines in a book unless i have to, lol, or unless it's some kind of seriously mind-blowing revelation that i can really take to heart. :3 The Lost World book and movie were very different from one another; i'd suggest giving TLW another go and treating the evolutionary rambling as an in-Crichton's-universe thing, if your only difference(s) with the book was with the evolution ideas he threw out (if you can bring yourself to do so; i know some people feel very strongly about creationism or against the idea of evolution in general, and i don't know where you fall on the spectrum ^^; ).

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Kid_A

theblackdragon wrote:

@Kid_A: oh, the movie [Sphere] was absolute crap; don't even waste your time on it. Congo the movie wasn't great either... i much preferred the book.

As for TLW, i loved it, evolutionary-view-soapboxing or not -- i don't really read between the lines in a book unless i have to, lol, or unless it's some kind of seriously mind-blowing revelation that i can really take to heart. :3 The Lost World book and movie were very different from one another; i'd suggest giving TLW another go and treating the evolutionary rambling as an in-Crichton's-universe thing, if your only difference(s) with the book was with the evolution ideas he threw out (if you can bring yourself to do so; i know some people feel very strongly about creationism or against the idea of evolution in general, and i don't know where you fall on the spectrum ^^; ).

I'm not a creationist (although I do belive in God and intelligent design; yes creationism and intelligent design are different) but he would go on for like seven pages about how evolution made some prehistoric flower the way it was. I wasn't offended, I just didn't care.I'll admit I was in middle school when I attempted to read that book, though. I'll give it another try.

(Prey and The Terminal Man are also really, really good btw)

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

theblackdragon

@Kid_A: definitely give it another try, then -- i do that with books i read as a teenager sometimes just because I get more out of them now that I'm older, y'know? also, I still need to check out Prey and The Terminal Man; i'll keep them in mind next time I hit up the library. :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Fuzzy

I was obsessed with that movie and dinosaurs when I was younger. Saw it in a drive-trough-awesome! And played the SNES game wich I thought was great at the time (haven't seen or played it since!). I might see if I can find a copy of the book and give that a go!

Fuzzy, Backloggery.

SwerdMurd

all these movies were busted imo...I mean Chrichton's work isn't exactly great to start with (way, way overblown imo....written the same story a million times. He's like Capcom the author) but the movies took entirely too many liberties with the story....hell by Lost World the characters weren't even the same (certain dead characters from book magically still alive in movie...)

To be fair, Jurassic Park was a technological marvel. Lost World was a bustological turdnugget.

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

rhythmheavenfan

Love that movie! Have watched it a million times and never get tired of it!

rhythmheavenfan

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.