Forums

Topic: John Williams

Posts 1 to 17 of 17

StarBoy91

The most talented movie composer of all time. His score really give a sense of atmosphere, mood, suspense and wonder in any scene from any movie. His beloved works range from Star Wars to Indiana Jones to E.T. to Jurassic Park, and so much more. He is my favorite composer of all time, and no one else comes even close.

What do you think?

To each their own

V8_Ninja

I thinks he's pretty good, but why the music so effective is because of the directing, acting, and etc. all comes together as well, to create something truly epic.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

theblackdragon

But what about Danny Elfman? Where does he rank on your scale? He and John Williams are both pretty high on mine. :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

grenworthshero

I'm going to say this, and step away from this thread for fear of getting in an argument.
I used to think the same thing about John Wiliams, but when I started going to school for music, I realized he literally steals other composers' works and claims them as his own. It's not that he just sounds like other composers; he takes literal transcriptions and puts them in his compositions. That being said, he does it well. If you're going to steal music, do it as well as John Williams. He has made a name for himself for compositions other than those he stole, and I respect him for that, but now I prefer to listend to Holst, Mahler, and Dvorak over John Williams, because those are some of his obvious influences, and sometimes victims of his plagiarism.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

theblackdragon

@grenworthshero: It was a good point to bring up; i didn't know there was anything going on with him lifting music from other sources and putting it into his own. If he's really doing it as you say, dude, and he's not acknowledging his sources, that's not right.

BEST THREAD EVER

StarBoy91

Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: to each his own.
@tbd - Well, Danny Elfman's music is nice. He'd probably be in the bottom of my Top 5, under Hans Zimmer and Alan Sylvestri and Alan Menken (in no particular order). :3

To each their own

bro2dragons

if you have any respect for John Williams, or if you don't know who he is, you have to see this video. how one man can concoct so many memorable tunes (not included in the video are his Star Wars songs, ironically, since Star Wars is the subject of the lyrics) put him in the same league as Miyamoto and Stan Lee and Walt Disney for consistently creating cultural icons. check out this tribute one guy did. absolutely excellent... and funny!

“I am a brother to dragons and a companion to owls." Job:30:29

Nintendo Network ID: bro2dragons

StarBoy91

Even though I didn't like Last Crusade as much, I did love the soundtrack, especially the one that plays between Indy and his father near the end. Sean Connery was great.

To each their own

Vendetta

Williams is indeed a master. James Horner and John Barry are also incredibly gifted. Look 'em up.

Vendetta

StarBoy91

James Horner! I completely forgot!!! I love his soundtrack from Titanic! Thanks for reminding me, V.

To each their own

theblackdragon

V8+Ninja wrote:

I thinks he's pretty good, but why the music so effective is because of the directing, acting, and etc. all comes together as well, to create something truly epic.

It's amazing how much better a movie is when it's got a great soundtrack composer behind its music, though. :3

BEST THREAD EVER

RandomWiiPlayer

Ricardo91 wrote:

Call me crazy, but I prefer Danny Elfman, myself. John Williams would be a close second, though.

Take it back.
Untitled

The Game.

Is it after 9PM EST? You should probably ignore the above post.

theblackdragon

RandomWiiPlayer wrote:

Ricardo91 wrote:

Call me crazy, but I prefer Danny Elfman, myself. John Williams would be a close second, though.

Take it back.

why should he?
Untitled

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER

RandomWiiPlayer

theblackdragon wrote:

RandomWiiPlayer wrote:

Ricardo91 wrote:

Take it back.

why should he?
Untitled

That movie sucked, and John Williams owns all.

Edited on by RandomWiiPlayer

The Game.

Is it after 9PM EST? You should probably ignore the above post.

cheetahman91

He's alright, plus he's the only movie composer I've heard of.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

theblackdragon

@RWP: Edward Scissorhands had an amazing soundtrack, and i chose it not only for that, but the snow to counter Vader's fire. Seriously, both composers are high on my list, like I said before. :3

BEST THREAD EVER

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.