Forums

Topic: Japanese (language) discussion thread

Posts 161 to 180 of 188

Tsuchinoko

Jon_Talbain wrote:

I always get Kanji and Katakana mixed up. Damn. It was Katakana I memorized before. I don't even know any Kanji (Except the word for Darkness 闇).

Also memorized some Hiragana, but that's probably what messed me up. EDIT: And crap, just remembered Hiragana was more important, but Katakana was easier to read when I was a kid.

Haha, they're all equally important, since they're used in tandem in writing and in daily conversation usage. Its impossible to use Japanese and not use all three.

Where did you learn Yami (闇) from. That's pretty obscure, and I don't get to see that word so often. It does appear in games sometimes, but I don't remember the last time I heard it in casual speech.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

CanisWolfred

I tried to research a good name for a Japanese character. Before it occured to me to to look up Japanese names, I decided I was gonna invent my own. I came upon that word several times, and it was destict enough for me to actually memorize it by the time I was done. I almost forgot it was called yami, though. Thanks.

Also, yami...does that refer to Darkness as a proper noun, an entity, if you will? or just a regular noun? I can't remember.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tsuchinoko

Jon_Talbain wrote:

I tried to research a good name for a Japanese character. Before it occured to me to to look up Japanese names, I decided I was gonna invent my own. I came upon that word several times, and it was destict enough for me to actually memorize it by the time I was done. I almost forgot it was called Yami, though. Thanks.

What were you making a Japanese character for?

Hmm, the word Yami has such a negative connotation to it. Must be someone not good I'm guessing. Other than just being literal darkness, it can mean bleak or gloomy.

CanisWolfred

I wanted to make an avatar of a random Ninja I had into an actual character, and the avatar looked really dark and mysterious and stuff, so I decided to give him a fitting name. I didn't mean for him to have a really dark name, though. Yami just happened to come up, and I took notice to it every time. I ended up settling with something more normal. I may not use him in any of my stories or comics, anyways, since I prefer to do comedies with occasional drama, and he seems more fitting for some kind of action-y story. Not that I couldn't work it in...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tsuchinoko

@John_Talbain What do you write? Short stories? Comics?

CanisWolfred

Tsuchinoko wrote:

I just "write" comics from time to time, and I hope to do that more often once I get better at drawing. I don't post them anywhere, if you're wondering. Not yet, at least. I do come up with stories all the time, though, but I rarely write them down, since they're usually "for my entertainment only" - filled with cliches, lots of in-jokes, crazy stuff that only I'd get. I save the stuff I think would be worth at least showing my friends for my comics. I haven't had something like that for some time now, though. Hope I get some inspiration soon, especially now that I'm getting serious about improving my drawing abilities.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tsuchinoko

Jon_Talbain wrote:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

I just "write" comics from time to time, and I hope to do that more often once I get better at drawing. I don't post them anywhere, if you're wondering. Not yet, at least. I do come up with stories all the time, though, but I rarely write them down, since they're usually "for my entertainment only" - filled with cliches, lots of in-jokes, crazy stuff that only I'd get. I save the stuff I think would be worth at least showing my friends for my comics. I haven't had something like that for some time now, though. Hope I get some inspiration soon, especially now that I'm getting serious about improving my drawing abilities.

Haha, no I wasn't wondering that. I understand when a creation is private.

Anyway, if you have any questions about Japanese, let me know.

Tsuchinoko

Jon_Talbain wrote:

Thanks, I'm still studying Japanese off and on, so I'll be sure to drop by from time to time.

Well, the threads pretty much dead otherwise, so anytime you have questions.

blazerhot

hey what u guys talking about?

Hey! My 3ds fc is 5370-0953-5181! Looking for people who play multiplayer often, nice people or japanease speakers to improve my skills

CanisWolfred

paperluigi wrote:

there's already a japan thread...

And this is a Japanese language thread. The other thread is for Japanese culture and I guess geography. Basically everything else involving Japan. This thread is specifically pertaining to learning the Japanese language.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Am at 79 kanjis doods. Thought it'd be good time to post before thread go die again

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

Tsuchinoko

paperluigi wrote:

there's already a japan thread...

Yes, I know. I specifically made this thread with a no Politics/Economics policy. The other thread talks sometimes about all that, but I wanted to just focus on language topics, though since culture and history can tie in with it, I've allowed that to come in at times when its relevant. Also, this thread has been up for months already, so I think the admins see my intentions with it.

I did make a French language thread as well with the same purpose, though since there's no French culture thread, I'm guessing that one will have a more wide discussion, though the people there are focusing more on language stuff anyway.

Tsuchinoko

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

Am at 79 kanjis doods. Thought it'd be good time to post before thread go die again

Oh yeah, and you deserve encouragement. You're studying independently aren't you? 79 is quite a nice start, keep it up!

Which ones are your favorites?

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Tsuchinoko wrote:

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

Oh yeah, and you deserve encouragement. You're studying independently aren't you? 79 is quite a nice start, keep it up!

My favourite is the one for "kiku" and "you" for like day of the week b/c it's crayzee

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

Tsuchinoko

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

My favourite is the one for "kiku" and "you" for like day of the week b/c it's crayzee

? Could you type which ones you mean? I'm totally not sure. You? Do you mean 曜? Why is it crazy?

KeeperBvK

Probably because of how many strokes are in there.
He'd better not get to words such as 薔薇...

KeeperBvK

Tsuchinoko

KeeperBvK wrote:

Probably because of how many strokes are in there.
He'd better not get to words such as 薔薇...

I know, that's what I'm saying! 曜 isn't even that difficult. Usually that's one of the first kanji that people learn. There are so many much more difficult ones.

turtlelink

So I've been thinking about learning the language independently (for now)... What's the best way to start? It seems like studying the pronunciation of the hiragana and katakana seems to be what people on the internet recommend but I just wanted to see what you guys would recommend. Hope the thread isn't too dead for discussion D:

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.