Forums

Topic: Japan Discussion

Posts 781 to 800 of 843

RR529

I watched Hachi: A Dog's Tale tonight!

The film was understandably Americanized, but still, this was one of the most emotionally engaging movies I've ever seen, and it'll tug at your heart strings.

Of course, it's based on the true story of Hachi, an actual Japanese dog (Akita breed) who was taken in by a Japanese professor who was teaching at the University of Tokyo. Hachi would always wait for him at the train station (when he went to work), and he continued to do so for 10 years after the professor had died. There is actually a statue of Hachi at that train station now, in remembrance of his loyalty.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

turtlelink

I just found the channel that shows J-Melo and all that stuff you post about, RR529, lol. NHK World

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

RR529

turtlelink wrote:

I just found the channel that shows J-Melo and all that stuff you post about, RR529, lol. NHK World

Oh really, how are you liking it?

I haven't posted anything this week since they're showing all reruns (some sort of viewer's choice thing of programs of the year).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Well, the local channel that I watched that had the NHK World programming, has seemed to cut back on the amount of it they're going to air (ever since the start of the year), so it doesn't look like I'll be able to watch it anymore

They used to show 3 hours of it a day (2-3am, 8-9am, 3-4pm central), but now they only airing it during the 8-9am slot (the only one I'm not able to catch...).

Of course, this DOESN'T spell the end for this thread, but I'll probably update it much less unfortunately.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Yay! I got the NHK World TV app on our tablet, so I should be able to start updating this thread again!

I was even able to hook it up to our TV thanks to the mini HDMI cable that came with it (the tablet), so even though the picture wasn't quite as good as it was when that local channel was showing their programming, I had no trouble watching it.

I watched an hour of it today (Newsline & Dining With the Chef, where they made Gyoza), and other the image temporarily freezing twice the first 10 minutes, it worked fine

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

It's good to be back, and BEGIN Japanology was on today! This week's theme was the role of the piano in Japan.

There are over 10,000,000 pianos in Japan, making it the most popular instrument in the nation (10X more popular than any traditional Japanese instrument, based solely on numbers). 40% of the Japanese population has taken piano lessons at some level, and the nation's largest producer of pianos, Yamaha, has 40% of the world marketshare. Nowadays, 90% of pianos sold in Japan are electric, while 10% are acoustic.

The piano was introduced to Japan during the late 1800's, and the first piano built in the nation was in 1900 (by the founder of Yamaha). Just like televisions & refrigerators, pianos became a status symbol during the post war economic boom, especially after Japanese piano companies started giving out free lessons starting in 1954. By the 1960's, Japan was the largest producer & consumer of pianos. Those numbers have been scaled back in modern times, after the halt of the economic boom in the 1990's.

Nowadays, the second hand piano market is booming in Japan. There is a company that restores used pianos to pristine conditions, and then they ship them out to over 40 foreign markets. The biggest consumers are other asian markets that have booming economies, like China & Thailand, who prize the quality of Japanese made pianos.

Japan is also the world leader in piano technology. Some pianos made in Japan today have a built in screen that forgoes the need for physical sheet music (it's all displayed on screen, and guides you through note by note). After playing, these pianos will even grade you based on how you did, and even make a game out of learning how to play. They also have acoustic pianos that have sensors built inside them that transmit your playing over the internet to another piano, so you can play two at once. Since the signal is over the internet, the two pianos can work in tandem even on opposite sides of the Earth. They plan on using this technology so people can order a professional performance to be played at home on their own pianos (they've already launched the service in the United States). Also, the sound a piano makes is different depending on which market they're sending it to. A Grand Piano may be tuned one of three different ways depending on the market it's being shipped to (the Japanese market prefers quiter tones that linger, the North American market favors a more bright, pronounced initial sound, and the European market likes something a bit in the middle).

Finally, they talked about Takeo Tchinai, a young professional piano player in Japan, who only plays with his left hand. He suffers from a rare disease that keeps him from using his right hand, and at first he thought his piano playing days were over, until he discovered (while on a trip to Germany) that many famous composers developed left handed piano compositions, but due to their lack of popularity, have faded into obscurity, and have been displaced across the world. He travels the world, searching in obscure book stores to find where these pieces have gone, and he shares his findings on his website. The left handed playing technique has been lost to time, so he has studied the music sheets to piece it together, to bring it to modern piano enthusiasts.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Magikarp3

RR529 wrote:

Some pianos made in Japan today have a built in screen that forgoes the need for physical sheet music (it's all displayed on screen, and guides you through note by note). After playing, these pianos will even grade you based on how you did, and even make a game out of learning how to play.

If they had those when I was a kid, I might have actually worked my way to being half decent at piano. I feel bad, because I had no respect for the instrument (and fair enough since it's something Asian parents tend to push their children into) but now I love piano music and wish I had the time to go learn it properly.

I never imagined Japanese pianos were so well regarded though! I had always thought the really big brands would be European, like most other instruments.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

RR529

Jollykarp wrote:

RR529 wrote:

Some pianos made in Japan today have a built in screen that forgoes the need for physical sheet music (it's all displayed on screen, and guides you through note by note). After playing, these pianos will even grade you based on how you did, and even make a game out of learning how to play.

If they had those when I was a kid, I might have actually worked my way to being half decent at piano. I feel bad, because I had no respect for the instrument (and fair enough since it's something Asian parents tend to push their children into) but now I love piano music and wish I had the time to go learn it properly.

I never imagined Japanese pianos were so well regarded though! I had always thought the really big brands would be European, like most other instruments.

Yeah (on the statement regarding their reputation), they said there is some sort of world renowned concert hall or competition whose pianos are supplied solely by Japanese producers (Yamaha & another one), and there was a famous European piano player from the 20th century (can't remember his name) that swore by the quality of Japanese pianos.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Journeys in Japan was on today! This week, they went to the small mountain towns of Nagatoro & Chichibu, outside of Tokyo.

This whole area is known for it's pristine natural beauty, and is even designated as a natural park.

There is a natural rock formation here called Iwadatami, that gathers lots of attention. During the winter you can take a leisurely ride along a local river to take in the sight, and during the spring, when the water level rises, it attracts thrill junkies who are enticed by white water rafting.

The host then visited Asami Reizo, a popular local restaurant that serves natural shaved ice the way nobility ate it 1,000 years ago (though it's popular all year long, during the summer months it attracts over 1,000 customers a day). They pipe in pure spring mineral water from it's source in the mountains to a large tank on their grounds, where they harvest the ice made from it throughout the winter, to serve throughout the year. It takes 3 weeks for the ice to be ready for harvest, and if they don't keep it free of dirt & snow, they have to start it all over again (they cover up the tank during snows, and sweep off the ice daily). The shaved ice is served with all natural Strawberry syrup & Black Peanut syrup for you to use. Using a mixture of a certain sugar, the proprietor has even found a way to imitate the Amazura syrup that the nobles used to eat it with (true Amazura is rare & difficult to make). Once the ice harvest is over, the leftovers are carved into ice sculptures that the people of the area can enjoy.

The host stayed the night at a 200 year old farm house that has been converted into a Ryokan in Chichibu. Since it's located by the road, the Miyamoto family has traditionally let travelers stay, and 40 years ago, they completely renovated it into an inn. The barn has been turned into a bar, and it's decorated with memorabilia from the owner's 11 year career as a professional Sumo wrestler. For dinner, guests are served a hearty hot pot stew that the owner learned to make during his Sumo career (they eat it every day since it's filled with so many nutrients). The family still owns 23 acres of farm land, where they raise an endangered local breed of mountain horse (Samurai used to ride them, but it's believed there are only about 150 left altogether).

The area also has a mountain known as Hodo, and you can take a ride up to it's peak to view the surrounding area. During January & February, the flowering trees at the top are in full bloom.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Tokyo Eye was on today! This week, they discussed the latest lunch trends in Tokyo.

Firstly, they visited the business district of Shinbashi, which is full of hungry salarymen during lunchtime. On average, they spend ¥540 & 22 minutes on lunch. They visited a standing noodle shop, where you can get a bowl of noodles for ¥360 (their motto is "time is money"). It takes the shop 20 seconds to prepare it for the customer, and the customer can finish it in a little over 5 minutes. They also talked about the growing popularity of the "One Coin Lunch", where a customer can get a full lunch set for only ¥500. This is becoming big business especially for bars, because even though they don't make much money on them initially, satisfied customers are more likely to return after work for drinks.

Then they went to Murounochi, another busniness district, this one with a large percentage of female office workers. They're tastes are a bit more expensive than their Shinbashi counterparts, as they average ¥864 & 34 minutes on lunch. Land is at a premium here, so most restaurants are grouped together in the basement or top floor of a building. Buffets are popular here, which have an atmosphere more akin to an upscale restaurant, and consumers can get a large meal for ¥1,000. Food trucks are growing in popularity here, where you can get a bento for about ¥600 (the food truck cuisine ranges from Thai to American).

Then they went to the district of Kudanshita, to visit an upscale restaurant called Juhaku, that has been in business for 20 years. During dinner time, their meals cost around ¥30,000 (and is a good place to impress clients), but during lunch time, they offer their same upscale quality for around a mere ¥4,000. They say they barely break even on their lunch deals, but they think every one has the right to eat their food.

Next up was Shin-Okubo, where they went to a neighborhood called "Islam Alley", due to the large Muslim population that resides here. Ever since Japan eased travel restrictions from south east Asia in 2013, they've had an influx of Muslim immigration. Kabob restaurants are growing in popularity here, and there's a growing amount of Halal certified food (Halal is food prepared with the standards of the Muslim faith in mind. In order to be Halal, food must be prepared with cooking equipment that hasn't come in contact with pork, for example. It's their equivalent to what Kosher food is to the Jewish faith).

Finally, they went to the Okachimachi district to highlight a unique restaurant. It's dining area is designed to replicate an elementary school class room, and they serve all the foods Japanese people ate as kids in school. It's a great place for adults to come & reminisce about their childhood.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

BEGIN Japanology was on today! This week's theme was squid!

There are over 120,000 tons of squid caught in Japan each year, and it's as popular as any other mainstream seafood like tuna & salmon. There are over 100 different kinds of squid & cuttlefish (which are classified together here) around Japan, though the Pacific Flying Squid makes up 80% of Japan's squid market. It's most popularly eaten raw as Sashimi, but can also be eaten dried, boiled, or fried. The mouth of the squid is ofted fried, and are served as a snack that is said to go nicely with a tall glass of beer.

Traditionally, they are caught by lure (the earliest known lures for squid fishing in Japan dating back 300 years), and while there are still some fishermen who like doing things the traditional way, most squid caught today are by machine. Back in the 1980's, a company out of Hakodate developed a robotic squid fishing machine that could mimick the actions of a seasoned fisherman, but with a higher rate of success. They now ship these machines off to over 90 countries, and they hold 70% of the world marketshare in such machines.

Up until recently it was hard to get fresh squid inland, due to their frail nature, but one man has developed a tank that will keep them from getting stressed during long trips. It's a donut shaped tank that has a constant circular stream of water, that imitates the squids' natural habitat (keeping them from ramming into the sides of the tank in confusion), and it insulates the water at 14ºC (their ideal tempurature). 4 years ago a truck was constructed with his system built in, so squid can be sold fresh to the lucrative Tokyo market (the trucks are also outfitted with small windows on the outside, and a video camera on the inside, so the driver can monitor the squid at all times).

The first written record of the squid in Japan dates back to the 10th century, but it was rare and a treat only available to nobility. It wasn't until the 17th century when it became available to the common public. During WWII, when rice was being rationed, a fisherman found that filling the mantles of smaller squid (which other fisherman would put back at the time) with a small ration of rice & cooking it, was quite filling, and that became popular during the wartime years (in fact, that dish is still popular today).

A dried squid is often a part of Japanese marriage ceremonies, it's longevity a symbol of how strong the couple hope their union to be. Dried squid is also buried underneath a Sumo arena (along with rice, and a few other foods), which is traced back to the sport's origins as a religious ceremony, where the foods were offered to Shinto gods of the Earth.

Lately, squid have become the subject of scientific research, most notably sightings of rare Giant Squid. Tiny squid, such as the Firefly Squid are getting attention too, however. These small squid only get close to land on one spot on Earth, and that just so happens to be a bay on the western side of Japan. They're so intriguing because they have certain pigments that allow them to glow. The ends of their tentacles are believed to glow to surprise/confuse potential predators, while the tiny glowing dots they have all over their body allow them to camouflage themselves with the amount of light filtering down from the surface, that way predators looking for a dark silhouette won't be able to see them.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Journeys in Japan was on today! This week the covered the Kohoku region, on the northern shore of Lake Biwa, an area which is known for it's very religious culture.

First off they visited Chikubushima Island. It was a place of mystery to the locals in ancient times, and they seen the island itself as some sort of deity. Eventually a Shinto shrine was constructed on the island, then a Buddhist temple years later. Both temples draw visitors to this day, with the big attraction being a 1,000 year old idol known as the "Kannon" (an important idol throughout the region).

On the shoreline itself sits Mt. Ibuki which itself is seen as sacred. They spent the rest of the episode visiting the various small villages around the mountain, and observed their own rituals for worshiping the "Kannon". One village has a sign with a mobile phone number visitors call, then one of the villagers (who rotate the duty) will take you on a tour of their shrine). Another (on the mountain itself) has only 10 villagers, and they ring a large bell to gather themselves whenever they get a visitor.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Time for this thread's long due revival! (since I got a new tablet, I can finally start watching NHK World's programs again)

Japanology Plus (the new name for Begin Japanology) was on tonight! This week's they were covering the famous Tsukiji Fish Market. Here are some of the main points of the episode.

1. Some statistics. It's over 40 Soccer Pitches in size (or was it 50?), there are 40,000 workers there, they push through 30,000 tons of fish everyday, and the outer market (which cooks fresh food, sales cookware, etc.) has over 400 stores.

2. History. It was first established in the 17th century (over 400 years ago) by the Tokugawa Shogunate, located in Nihombashi (this was when modern Sushi & Tempura were invented). It was destroyed by an earthquake in the 1920's, and was reconstructed at it's current location (Tsukiji) in 1935. Due to the age of the market, it's moving to a different location in 2017.

3. They showed the process a team goes through to properly cut up a Bluefin Tuna. They say it takes 10 years to properly learn how to do this.

4. The market is becoming increasingly popular with tourists (as it's one of the few parts of Tokyo that has a vibe of "Old Japan"). Just be sure to wear the proper clothing so you don't get hurt (there are shops in the outer market that sell the same gear that the workers wear).

5. They also showcased the famous Tuna auction, where 3,000 Tuna are sold everyday. Tourists are welcome here as well, just be sure to not touch the Tuna, and don't use flash photography (as it may interfere with the buyers judging the finer quality of the product).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Tokyo Eye was on tonight. This week they were discussing the accomodations the city has for handicapped visitors. Main points:

1. There is a volunteer group that has been working to accommodate handicapped visitors since 1997 (sorry, I didn't catch their name).

2. The city has 1,200 Accessibility Taxis. Cost is normal fare + a ¥2,000 surcharge.

3. They went to a famous temple in Asakusa, that had an elevator installed 10 years ago to accommodate handicapped persons (before then it was impossible for people with disabilities to visit the temple, due to the large staircase). While in the area, they also went to a 125 year old tempura restaurant that is handicap accessible.

4. They went to the Edo-Tokyo Museum, which allows handicapped persons to bring along two helpers free of charge. Also, many of the exhibits are interactive.

5. They then went to a handicap accessible hotel. There are about 100 in the city, and the cost at this particular hotel was just under ¥8,000 a night.

6. They then showcased how the city's subway system accommodates disabled travelers. The ticket station is set low enough that wheelchair bound peoples can order their tickets without assistance, the destination & ticket prices are available in braille, the ticket gate has wider lanes available for wheelchairs, they have an elevator that goes to the platform, and the platform is designed to be perfectly level with the subway car (which has a place set up to accomodate wheelchair users).

7. They then went to a department store in Shinjuku. They offer a free concierge service for handicapped peoples, as well as free wheelchairs (and free strollers for mothers with young children). All bathrooms are handicap accessible, and all employees must learn basic sign language.

8. They also showcased a maid café in Akihabara that offers accessibility for handicapped persons. This particular establishment also has lots of reading material in-stock as conversation starters between it's patrons.

9. With the 2020 Olympic & Paralympic Games being held in Tokyo, the city is planning even wider accommodations for the future.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

robbiebob2

My addiction to J-Pop is going too far, BUT I CAN'T STOP

robbiebob2

RR529

Journeys in Japan was on today! This week, they went to the fishing village of Ine in Kyoto Prefecture, which sets on the coast of the Sea of Japan.

1. The buildings in the village are grouped tightly together inbetween the base of the mountains & the ocean. Residences here have three main structures, which consist of the main living building, a storehouse across the road, and a boathouse built right over the ocean. The boathouses are known as Funaya, and have a small living space built into the second floor (many of these are over 200 years old). One couple even runs a small inn out of their Funaya.

2. An uninhabited island called Aoshima is located right off the coast. It acts as a natural break water, and protects the 200 year old buildings from the wrath of Typhoons. A shrine is located on the island, and villagers can go there to pray to the god of fishery, Ebisu. In ancient times small scale whaling took place in Ine, and on Aoshima, there stands a tombstone for every whale hunted by the villagers (some even adorned with whale bones). Even though there hasn't been any whale hunting here for hundreds of years, the villagers come to the island once a year to hold a festival in honor of the whales.

3. The fishing port becomes lively at 6 A.M., when the first fishing boats come in. There are no fish shops in town, so the villagers come here to buy/trade their fish directly from the source everyday. The host was then treated to THE local dish (the Aoshima Set) at a local restaurant with a beautiful view of the island.

4. There is a famous folktale ingrained in the history of the village, in which a fisherman sails out to find a palace floating on the sea, and begins a romance with it's beautiful princess. He becomes homesick after three years and heads home, only to discover that 300 years have passed there, at which point his own age catches up to him & he dies. This tale has been passed down generation to generation orally, and is a favorite amongst the villagers. The host (Peter MacMillan) was surprised to hear this, because he said that there is an almost identical folktale from his homeland of Ireland.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Ryu_Niiyama

Are you watching these shows online?

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

RR529

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Are you watching these shows online?

Yep, the NHK World TV app on my tablet (though I believe you can stream their shows directly from their website as well).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Imagine-Nation was on today!

Main Theme: This week they talked about CARD FIGHT!! Vanguard: the Movie. It's based off of a trading card game that launched in 2010, and has gone on to spread to other nations, and sell over 1 billion cards. Though the original anime & game was meant to appeal to kids, it has attracted many adult anime fans as well, even those abroad. In the story of this particular film, a planet is on it's way to crash into Earth, so the main characters enter a tournament in order to win a "Messiah" card (the only one powerful enough to stop the catastrophe). One thing stands in their way however, and that is a powerful opponent who has the strange power to wipe out other players' cards from existence. They then went behind the scenes to show all the work that it takes to animate the intricately designed card characters. The director said he hopes that watching the film will get more people interested in the card game.

Side Theme: They talked about the recent release of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, and mentioned it'll be releasing soon in the west as well. They also explained the Global Smash Power ranking system.

Creator's Interview: They interviewed the creator of a unique new mobile game, Quiz RPG. It's a new kind of RPG that mixes first person dungeon crawling with quizes. It's available in Japanese, English, Korean, & Chinese. His most recent release is an action RPG called White Cat. It is only available in Japanese at this time. He says he hopes to continue developing mobile games in the future, and wants to spread out into new genrés.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Tokyo Eye was on tonight! This week was part one of their Asakusa special.

1. First they went to the centerpiece of Asakusa, Senso-Ji temple, which one of the most popular destinations for tourists. Japan's oldest running shopping arcade leads up to it, and has 89 shops (most sell trinkets to tourists).

2. After a visit to the newly built Asakusa Cultural Tourist Center (est. 2012), they were directed to a street known as "Rock Broadway". Street performers can be found here on the weekends (they showed a juggling act which was underway at the time). The street also houses a museum that preserves how the area was in the past (their biggest attraction is a huge diorama that depicts "Rock Broadway" as it was in the 1910's). Lastly, they visited a theatre here that shows both traditional & more modern performances. Tickets cost ¥2,500, and while there isn't any set seating, your ticket is good all day long, and your allowed to bring your own lunchbox & drinks (the theatre is open 365 days a year).

3. They then went to a shop that has unique goods. You see, this shop sells all the kinds of props that the street performers use. It's been open for over 60 years.

4. They then visited a shop called Asakusa Edoya, which features a host of items crafted using traditional Edo era methods (many of which are authentic reproductions of the kind of trinkets people bought in the day).

5. They then visited a glass factory shop that has both traditional & modern glassware up for purchase. You can also have the chance to engrave your own glass, and the host took a shot at it.

6. When it comes time to eat, there are 60 sushi restaurants in the area, 30 unagi restaurants, and 40 Tempura restaurants. They first highlighted a sushi place that's been open since the 1890's, and had a box set for ¥1,900. Then they showcased an unagi place that's over 200 years old! Here they had a meal that cost ¥4,000. Finally, they went to a tempura place that's been operating since the 1870's. Here, they had a big fried ball of various seafood (shrimp, prawns, & oysters), which costed ¥3,000 in a meal.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.