Forums

Topic: Japan Discussion

Posts 601 to 620 of 843

RR529

Imagine-Nation was on tonight! They had a "Roundup Special", where they briefly cover themes from recent episodes.

They first covered the cyberpunk mecha manga GUNNM, which is about a cyborg girl that is repaired by a scientist, then fights crime in martial arts battles, while revealing her mysterious past. It also now has a sequel, GUNNM Last Order. It is attracting fans of Ghost in the Shell, and Akira

They then covered Soul Sacrifice, a new Playstation Vita title released on March 7th. The monsters you fight were previously human, and return to their true form when beaten. All magic costs health, with the most powerful sword attack, "Excalibur", killing yourself as well as your target. They also briefly interviewed the game's famed developer, Keiji Inafune.

They then re-covered Fujihiko Hosono's part in contributing to the Heroes Come Back anthology, with a special new chapter of Gallery Fake (his most popular work). The full anthology will release this April.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

ItsFuzzyPickles

Currently I'm learning Japanese. So far, I've finished with the basic hiragana and the voiced consonants. Right now, I am working my through the y-vowels and hard consonants before I move on to katanaka. I'm doing this so I can start reading manga in Japanese. I do plan on visiting Japan eventually.

Wish I could move to Japan. Japan, along with its music, manga, anime, food and most importantly, culture, really excite me and I would give so much to be able to explore the country. Sadly, it seems like a bad idea waiting to happen. Japan is still suffering after the March, 2011 tsunami, the economy has been stalling for over two decades and engineers are paid less than in the USA (which is what I want to be when I graduate from college). It's too bad, considering that living in Japan has been on of my dreams that I wish I could accomplish.

Edit: Editing my post since I worry that it would be considered rule breaking if I did a format like this.

日本: Japan
日本語: Japanese
ひらがな: Hiragana
カタカナ: Katakana
満画: Manga
津波: Tsunami

Edited on by ItsFuzzyPickles

ItsFuzzyPickles

Switch Friend Code: SW-1409-9782-5984 | Nintendo Network ID: astarisborn94 | Twitter:

RR529

NL was down for me last night, so sorry I couldn't post my weekly J-Melo update.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Journeys in Japan was on today.

They visited the city of Takamatsu, and visited various traditional gardens around the city, in shrines, castles, and even an Udon shop. The scenes were beautiful, serene, and striking.

The city is about an hour flight from Tokyo.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

theblackdragon

astarisborn94 wrote:

Edit: Editing my post since I worry that it would be considered rule breaking if I did a format like this.

naah, you're good — but be careful, it's 'katakana'. you keep transposing the 'ka' and the 'na', even when you typed it out in kana (hey, at least you've been consistent so far) :3

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Retomplay

gaki no tsukai

Dutch gamer, Nintendo and playstation.

I like playstation, but I prefer Nintendo. I'm NO contestant of Videogame wars.

Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/retomplay

Twitter:

RR529

Imagine-Nation was on tonight, and it has a new look! Awfully pink... (also forgot to mention that Journeys in Japan has a new look as well)

Main Topic: They covered Animemirai, a project that promotes the future of anime. Every year since it's start in 2011, they release a theatrical anthology of short anime works. This year, studios such as Gonzo & Mad House are contributing. The shorts this year are Ryo (a feudal samurai story), Mechanized Elves (a sci-fi flick), Little Witch Academia (in which young students in a magical academy accidentally release a monster), and Death Billiards (a life & death version of the game). They then gave an in depth look about how they do things behind the scenes. Little Witch Academia is the short getting the most attention out of the group (to me it looks like it has a Ghibli like influence, although it's not made by them. It's made by a new studio that broke off from Gainax, and it's director has previously worked on Neon Genesis Evangelion & Gurren Laggan).

Quick News: They mentioned the new movie of the hit Dragon Ball series, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, and showcased it's grand opening (OMG, they pronounced it as "Dragon Ball Zetto"... Fail?)

Creator's Interview: They interviewed Takahiro Hayakawa, who has created abstract anime works, that are the world's first anime made in 4K resolution.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Tokyo Eye was on today! They talked about the Tokyo Bay area (part 1 of 2).

they started in the Tennozu Isle district (an old warehouse district, that's being renovated for urban development). it was used for transporting cargo in past, and in modern times, one of the old warehouses has been turned into a restaurant brewery called T.I. Brewery. This brewery was a pioneer of microbrewing in Japan. Another warehouse has been converted into a high class wine cellar (wine has been growing in popularity in Japan, and customers can rent space here for ¥80,000 a month. It also has a lounge for customers). They then took a boat tour around the waters of the isle. They also viewed remnats of military fortifications that were present here in ancient times.

They then covered Oi Futo warf. It's where foreign cargo arrives in Japan. It opened in 1941, and mostly handled energy imports (like coal) at the time. It's 17 soccer fields long. 170 ships per month grace Oi Futo. They also visited a warehouse where imported crates are sorted. The top imports are clothing, electronics, and food.

They then went to Haneda, mainly known for Tokyo International Airport. There are still 50 fishermen which operate from this island, though. They specialize in catching Conger Eels, a seasonal treat in Tokyo sushi. They went out with one of the fishermen on one of his daily runs (they catch eels in specialized tubes), and caught 100 eels that day.

They then came to Shibaura. It's the home of the Tokyo landmark, Rainbow Bridge, which connects the district to Odaiba. The host visited this district a lot in his youth, as it was a hot spot for disco clubs in the 70's & 80's.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

BEGIN Japanology was on today! They covered the role of uniforms in Japanese society.

While school uniforms are a well known part of Japanese culture, they only make up a little over 20% of Japan's uniform market. Nearly 80% of the market belongs to work uniforms (everything from factory, food, office work, and more). The uniform business is so big in Japan, that there are even uniform show rooms (much like car or electronics shows), and catalogues for companies to order from. Children get accustomed to wearing & caring for uniforms at an early age, when they start kindergarten.

With the current weak state of the Japanese economy, T-Shirt uniforms are becoming more & more popular (especially with restaurants). They offer a less expensive alternative to traditional uniforms, with flashy text to get their purpose across quickly.

They then covered the history of school uniforms in Japan. Boys uniforms were initially introduced during the late 19th century, during Japan's rapid westernization. They were modeled after military uniforms, to give students a sense of duty & discipline (this style still dominates boys uniforms, although a newer blazer style is gaining headway). The girl "sailor suit" was introduced in the early 20th century, influenced by American fasion of the time. During the 60's & 70's, there were mass riots in Japanese schools, where students rebelled (sometimes violently), and denounced uniforms as a symbol of conformity. Uniform dress codes became stricter at this time, and students would purposefully alter the intended design, as a sign of disrespect. During the 80's, the second wave of baby boomers started high school. Due to this, more schools had to open up, and to compete for students, schools started presenting more attractive, trendy uniforms.

In today's world, school uniforms have became a fashion trend (particularly with girls), with many young girls making their own imitation uniforms to wear on their own time, or so they have a uniform to wear when attending a school that doesn't have a uniform dress codes. This fashion trend is starting to find it's way out of Japan, and is growing in popularity in the west (particularly in Europe). The popular doll brand in Japan, Licca-Chan, has came out with various uniform designs, many of which are limited editions modeled after real school styles.

They then spent some time with the Shinkansen cleaning crew. It takes a crew of 20-30 people to clean the trains, all within 7 minute periods as to make sure they depart on time. Productivity & worker enthusiasm has been up ever since uniforms were introduced to the crews 6 years ago. Their uniforms are seasonal, with Hawaiian themed uniforms in the summer, and Christmas themed uniforms in the winter. The current head of the cleaning crew used to be a Shinkansen conductor, with his uniform providing him with a sense of pride. That's why he had the idea to introduce uniforms to the cleaning crews.

The program ended with the host & the program's camera crew showing off their new snazzy BEGIN Japanology T-Shirt uniforms.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

ItsFuzzyPickles

theblackdragon wrote:

astarisborn94 wrote:

naah, you're good — but be careful, it's 'katakana'. you keep transposing the 'ka' and the 'na', even when you typed it out in kana (hey, at least you've been consistent so far) :3

I've noticed that. I'll make sure to keep my カタカナ (katakana) consistent.

ItsFuzzyPickles

Switch Friend Code: SW-1409-9782-5984 | Nintendo Network ID: astarisborn94 | Twitter:

RR529

Imagine-Nation was on tonight!

Main Theme: They showcased Devil Survivor 2: the Animation, which is based off the DS game, in which a group of students must survive the apocalypse by summoning "demons" with their cell phones. They showcased an event where fans attended an early screening. They had a tough time deciding on an ending, since an anime can only have one conclusion, in contrast to the game, which has many. The character designer also created the Durarara!! series. They played the game on 3DS while talking about it, lol.

Side Theme: They mentioned the Tokyo International Anime Fair. The "50 years of TV anime" exhibit was a big hit. It also introduced it's first cosplay zone.

Creator's Interview: they interviewed the manga artist, Yuuki Kodama. His current work is Black Lad. In the series, there is a vampire who is obsessed with Japanese culture. He is thrilled to meet a Japanese person (a girl who wanders into his dimension), but she soon dies during an attack from one of his enemies, so he decides he will bring her back, even as a ghost. It is being turned into an anime.

P.S. - Sorry I wasn't able to update with this week's episodes of J-Melo & Journeys in Japan. I missed them this week.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Journeys in Japan was on today.

They went to Oita Prefecture, to showcase the many unique Buddhist temples in the area.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Main Theme: They covered manga artist Atsushi Kaneko. He is inspired my music, and thus goes to Tokyo's underground music scene on a regular basis. His works are the current Wet Moon, his debut Bambi, and Soil (which was poular enough to get a live action adaptation in 2010). Wet Moon is a mystery crime series, set in a small legally corrupt Japanese town (loosely based on the real world Atami) in the 1960's (he created the series, with a live action adaptation in mind). French publications have nicknamed him "the David Lynch of Manga". He also designs for T-shirts as well.

Side Theme: They briefly mentioned the children's anime film Hanakappa Adventure at the Butterfly Kingdom, and the PS3 game, Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3.

Creator's Interview: They spoke with Keiko Shiraishi. She has created waves with her short anime film Hide & Seek, about a pregnant woman's uncertaincy after being affected by the Great Japan Earthquake of 2011. She was originally planning on entering the world of live action film, but is now trying to break into the manga scene. She also teaches animation in elementary school.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Magikarp3

Wet Moon sounded really interesting until the mangaka was compared to David Lynch. Now I'm rather concerned at what I might experience from it.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

RR529

Magikarp wrote:

Wet Moon sounded really interesting until the mangaka was compared to David Lynch. Now I'm rather concerned at what I might experience from it.

Apparently it's a real topsy turvey series, where the main character hallucinates on a regular basis, and the reader is left to wonder what events are real, and what's all in his head.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Tokyo Eye was on today!

They visited locations along the Chuo Line, a railroad line on the outskirts of Tokyo. It's teeming with culture, where new & old ideas blend in cuisine, music, art, and more.

BTW, I would have been more descriptive, but I've been distracted by all the Nintendo news

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Main Theme: They covered Hajime Isayame's Attack on Titan manga, which currently has 9 Volumes. Mysterious humanoid "titans" appeared one day, and started to feast on the Earth's human population. To protect themselves humans build 50 meter walls to protect cities, but after 100 years of peace, a 60 meter Titan appeared, breaching the wall. They went to the Anime Contexts Expo 2013, to check out the anime, which has aired 3 episodes at this time. The producers of the anime adaptation said they took cues from The Amazing Spider-Man movie, in the action scenes, which they found challenging to adapt. (I'll admit, the action is heart poundingly intense, even though the Titans themselves are a bit disturbing...)

Side Theme: They briefly mentioned the anime film Detective Conan Private Eye in the Distant Sea, and new developments in the Steins; Gate series.

Creator's Interview: they interviewed the famed manga artist, Yosuke Takahashi.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Journeys in Japan was on earlier today! They visited the Minami-Boso region.

They picked strawberries, harvested bamboo shoots, took a leisurely trip to the beach, and even picked up fresh ingredients at a street market for a healthy meal.

Main Theme: They showcased the fantasy manga, The Seven Deadly Sins, which currently has 2 volumes. After her knights overthrow the kingdom, Queen Elizabeth teams up with the leader of the fabled group of warriors kniown as the "Seven Deadly Sins", and together they look for the other members of the group, which will be able to liberate the kingdom. The creator was inspired by fantasy stories such as Dragon Quest, The Never Ending Story, and even the classic tale of King Arthur. His past works include Revenge, Rising Impact, and Blizzard Axel.

Side Theme: They briefly mentioned Zettai Boei Leviatan, the anime adaptation of a mobile game.

Creator's Interview: I couldn't catch his name...

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

CanisWolfred

RR529 wrote:

Journeys in Japan was on earlier today! They visited the Minami-Boso region.

They picked strawberries, harvested bamboo shoots, took a leisurely trip to the beach, and even picked up fresh ingredients at a street market for a healthy meal.

So basically they got paid to go on vacation. I want a job like that.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.