General Discussion Forum

Topic: Japan Discussion

Showing 361 to 380 of 811

AuthorMessage

Hokori

361. Posted:

Since its late over there I'll stop asking for now, I'm just unsure about college, since I don't wanna act over confident just because I have a degree...

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

362. Posted:

Anyway, going to bed. Like I said, Japan is an amazing place, and I'm in it like a marriage, for better or for worse, and heaven knows sometimes I do see the negatives, but the positives far outweigh that. I'm more than happy to offer advice on things here, tell stories, but yeah, it takes a lot of time and work, money, patience, blood sweat and tears to even get in the door. Its like that for a lot of countries. I had a friend who tried for years to move to Canada from the States, but he never went to college, really had nothing to offer, no specialized skills or anything.

@Blazerhot The general rule of thumb is, Japanese companies are likely not going to hire a foreigner if a domestic worker can do the job already, and better. And yes, a lot of animation companies are probably downsizing too. But in either case, another commenter said it already, many animation companies do outsource their stuff (even if its just background details, and Japan doesn't do it nearly as much as American or European companies, but they usually outsource to Korea).

Even just having the TV on while studying or something, I've seen animation on TV. I don't really see foreigner names in the credits at all. They would stand out, and I would remember seeing that.

The only one I know about is an American-born film director here, but he's lived here for decades and speaks native-level Japanese. He directed a semi-successful anime film.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842Playing:極限脱出 9時間9人9の扉ファイアーエムブレム覚醒 (Fire Emblem Kakusei), Monster Hunter 4, 二ノ国漆黒の魔道士(Ni No Kuni), 妖怪ウォッチ(Yokai Watch)

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

363. Posted:

HarmoKnight wrote:

Since its late over there I'll stop asking for now, I'm just unsure about college, since I don't wanna act over confident just because I have a degree...

I don't know what this over-confident story is. Even in America its becoming really hard to get any sort of job other than fast-food or other entry level jobs without a college degree. A lot of companies aren't even looking at Bachelor's anymore, they want higher. I think you're going to have a hard time looking for a domestic job, let alone Japan, which has much higher standards and is way more competitive a job market than the States.

Something to add...

Best advice I can give, at this moment. If you really want to try living in Japan, and do yourself a huge favor while doing so, go to college. Find a college with a really good Japanese program, and study as hard as you can, and after your first year (since they don't let you in the program in your freshman year in most colleges), enroll in the school's study abroad program. It will really help your Japanese, you get to experience life in Japan without worrying about work (until after you graduate), you can make friends, and in general its a great experience. Its how I first came to Japan.

Its really your best option, and it will give you time and the experience to figure out what it is you really want to do.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842Playing:極限脱出 9時間9人9の扉ファイアーエムブレム覚醒 (Fire Emblem Kakusei), Monster Hunter 4, 二ノ国漆黒の魔道士(Ni No Kuni), 妖怪ウォッチ(Yokai Watch)

AuthorMessage

blazerhot

364. Posted:

Idk how to make japanese friends....

Hey! My 3ds fc is 5370-0953-5181! Looking for people who play multiplayer often, nice people or japanease speakers to improve my skills

AuthorMessage

Hokori

365. Posted:

When I get there I wanna make friends, especially with a lady :)

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

366. Posted:

HarmoKnight wrote:

When I get there I wanna make friends, especially with a lady :)

Yeah, I got that...I think there's a lot of things you need to do before you even think about that though. I haven't dated anyone in over 3 years, I'm too busy.

AuthorMessage

Hokori

367. Posted:

I'm going to keep at it though, I guess I'll say as long as I achieve my dream someday I'll be happy :) I just gotta try harder, I still am iffy on college, because of personal preferences, but I'll think about it

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

368. Posted:

HarmoKnight wrote:

I'm going to keep at it though, I guess I'll say as long as I achieve my dream someday I'll be happy :) I just gotta try harder, I still am iffy on college, because of personal preferences, but I'll think about it

Okay...Well, if you actually want it, then you'll get it. College is really only the first step really. I didn't even get back to Japan after study abroad for almost a year after my graduation because it took a while with job interviews and saving money. I don't even see how you can even consider moving to a country like Japan without a 3-5 year plan on how you will get the money, what your college plans are, what kind of degree you will pursue and what kind of company you want to work for. You don't just pick a place in Japan and just hope the country accepts you with open arms. Actually, a lot of foreigners who even have jobs get in trouble with immigration services if they don't have their paperwork just right, if they don't pay all the living taxes, its all very strict. You really should be doing your research.

Either way, if you don't get over this college thing and start planning for your future right away, it won't happen. There are people your age who are already much more prepared and ahead of you, and you're competing with them, just remember that.

AuthorMessage

Hokori

369. Posted:

Hmm ok, maybe ill got to college and earn the degree, but if anyone asked (besides the people who'll help me move) I didn't, I still wanna get by with out that "free pass" I'm way too used to here

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan

AuthorMessage

The_Fox

370. Posted:

Wait, having a college degree gets you a free pass? Now I'm very confused as to why work is so hard to find around here. I should be set.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

AuthorMessage

Hokori

371. Posted:

Well college degrees don't give you a free pass as in you don't have to work hard, but it seems in my experience people with higher educations get more just because they went to college

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan

AuthorMessage

RR529

372. Posted:

This place sure exploded since I was last here...

As for the topic at hand, I'm having a hard enough time finding a job at home. If I can just get a good, steady career, & just make enough for a short trip to Japan one day, I'll be happy.

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Tank Hero (AND)

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

373. Posted:

HarmoKnight wrote:

Well college degrees don't give you a free pass as in you don't have to work hard, but it seems in my experience people with higher educations get more just because they went to college

It opens doors that maybe wouldn't be available to non-graduates. That's all. College graduates still have to make the effort to walk through them. You're not guaranteed anything upon being awarded a degree, i can't tell you how many friends I have who have been to college and work entry-level jobs because there's nothing available in their field where they're at.

Your assumptions about things will not help you at all. You can either start looking into these magical jobs you think you're going to have while you're in Japan, see what their requirements are, and then work toward them as goals, or you can continue to sit there, moan about how all you want in life is to meet a pretty Japanese girl, and piddle around for the rest of your life, Otaku. The choice is yours.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

Hokori

374. Posted:

Ok I'll check to see what the requirements are and work to them before I decide to go to college first or not :) but to say all I want is a pretty Japanese girl is far from the truth, that's just one thing, I just don't like the way college is forced in today's life, since it doesn't actually show how smart a person is

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

375. Posted:

HarmoKnight wrote:

Ok I'll check to see what the requirements are and work to them before I decide to go to college first or not :) but to say all I want is a pretty Japanese girl is far from the truth, that's just one thing, I just don't like the way college is forced in today's life, since it doesn't actually show how smart a person is

I knew it! You're going to Japan for this!

Untitled

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

Hokori

376. Posted:

^cosplay? Maybe that's another piece of the puzzle

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

377. Posted:

Meow ;)

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

AuthorMessage

Hokori

378. Posted:

Neko Lady :F

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

379. Posted:

You think that's a neko lady? How silly of you :)

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

AuthorMessage

KaiserGX

380. Posted:

LOL! What is that. You changed your avatar to it.

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX