Forums

Topic: Japan Discussion

Posts 201 to 220 of 843

RR529

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

Japan is okay, but China rocks!

Well, I'm sure that the China's culture is just as rich as Japan's, but their current government is a bit of a stinker (you know, with the internet censoring, forced population control, and imprisonment, or murder, of those who criticise government policies, amongst other human rights violations).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Just watched Begin Japanology. The subject was Regional Fast Food (referred to as B Grade Gourmet).

They showed various dishes, regionalized for various locations throughout Japan. there were way too many to list here, but they all looked good (variants on Ramen, Yakisoba, and Udon were plentiful).

The first B Grade gourmet dishes were developed in the 1950's, but didn't get any exposure outside of their region. In the 1980's (due to a large economic boom), fancy gourmet became popular. In the 1990's (due to the internet), regional B Grade Gourmet dishes started getting more exposure. More recently (due to an economic slowdown) B Grade Gourmet has become increasingly popular, as the various dishes are known all across the country, and people are cutting back from more extravagant foods.

A huge contest (started in 2006) was highlighted. This past year, there were hundreds of contestants and over 500,000 visitors in just two days.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Just watched Jibtv. They told the story of a coastal fishing town that was devistated by last year's tsunami, and how they're recovering.

Touching stuff.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

SMEXIZELDAMAN

LordOtakWiiU wrote:

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

[/div]

Really, why?

Because Japan sucks!

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

Hokori

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

LordOtakWiiU wrote:

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

[/div]

[/div]

Really, why?

[/div]

Because Japan sucks!

How so?

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

RR529

They had a special showing of Sports Japan tonight (a show I usually don't get to see because of it's normal time)!

They talked about some of Japan's Olympic competitors.

The first (that I saw) was about one of Japan's shooters, Nakayama. They talked about how she juggles her Olympic career, and raising her daughter (as a single mother). The story was pretty touching.

They then talked about the Japanese volleyball team (women), and the technique, rules, and science behind the sport.

Note: missed the very first part, because I was finishing up watching Toonami.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

J-Melo was on tonight! They had an Okinawan special.

The first song was Shimauta (Island Song), by the BOOM. Very unique (mixed traditional music styles with modern twists).

They then did a montage of different Japanese music groups & solo artists from Okinawa.

The next song was Shimanchunu Takara (Islander's Treasure), by BEGIN. Had a mixed sound of traditional and modern.

Traditional Okinawan songs, like Koe Naki Inochi & Tinsagunu Hana, were showcased.

Traditional Okinawan dances, Amawari & Kimutaka no uta, were shown.

The final song was Shinkanucha (fellowship), by Kazufumi (didn't catch his last name). Very upbeat & inspirational!

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Just finished watching Itadakimatsu! Dining With the Chef. For some reason, the channel was mute, lol.

They made Tempura. They fried shrimp, sweet potatos, and Shiitake mushrooms. Looked awesome!

They also made Clam Miso Soup to go with it. Personally, I've never had clam...

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Hokori

I've not had clam either, but I do enjoy scallops :F

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

The_Fox

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

LordOtakWiiU wrote:

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

Really, why?

Because Japan sucks!

Considering the lingering hatred China holds for Japan I'm sure they'd give SMEXIZELDAMAN a big thumbs up.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Bankai

The_Fox wrote:

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

LordOtakWiiU wrote:

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

[/div]

Really, why?

[/div]

Because Japan sucks!

[/div]

Considering the lingering hatred China holds for Japan I'm sure they'd give SMEXIZELDAMAN a big thumbs up.

Ah, the good old triangle of angst - Japan, Korea, China.

RR529

I couldn't watch NHK World programming tonight...

For some reason, they were showing some PBS crud called Tavis Smiley

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

I was going to watch Journeys in Japan (part 2 of their Ogasawara Islands special), but their channel & streaming app are still down

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

NHK World's channel is back up! Watched Begin Japanology. They Interviewed Philip Harper, Japan's first foreign "master sake brewer". He's from the U.K., and they told his story about how he came to Japan, and how he got into sake brewing.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Hokori

I saw a Tokyo eye episode about Otakus /sniffle it was so beautiful

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

LordJumpMad

Lets talk about real japan, not this fake happy-go-lucky image they have been creating.
This land of the rising sun have some strange culture, like the practice of seppuku, is that still being done? Or have they simpley like jumping off buildings for fun.

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

Bankai

LordJumpMad wrote:

Lets talk about real japan, not this fake happy-go-lucky image they have been creating.
This land of the rising sun have some strange culture, like the practice of seppuku, is that still being done? Or have they simpley like jumping off buildings for fun.

A history of ritual suicide is hardly unique to Japan. Nor is the idea of committing ritual suicide because you've been dishonoured out of reasonable society.

Do they still do it? No. Japan has a suicide rate like everywhere else in the world, but it's done in the same way that the rest of the world does it.

RR529

J-Melo was on tonight! They had a show put on by popular Japanese DJs, Taku Takahashi & FPM (Fantastic Plastic Machine).

They toured the club that Taku Takahashi plays at, AIR, and the club FPM plays at, Warehouse 702. Never been to any clubs, so don't know if these stood out in any way.

The program's host, May J. even sang (although they didn't show the name of the song)!

Also, J-Melo is teaming up with Taku Takahashi by making a music video to support victims of the tragedy in Fukushima. They want viewers from all around the world to send in a small video of themselves exclaiming "Ganbare, Nippon!" (Don't give up, Japan!). These videos will be used in the music video.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.