Forums

Topic: Japan Discussion

Posts 161 to 180 of 843

Hokori

I loved watching the maid cafe videos they were cute and I loved learning about them

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

RR529

LordOtakWiiU wrote:

I loved watching the maid cafe videos they were cute and I loved learning about them

[/div]

I take it you watched some Tokyo Eye clips? If you get the mobile app, you can watch entire episodes (there's one new episode a week, and it's peppered througout their lineup on Tuesday evening/night, and Wednesday morning/day).

My other favorite programs are:

• J-Melo (showcases Japanese music groups)
  • Journeys in Japan (like Tokyo Eye, but for various other locations in Japan)
  • Imagine-Nation (all about anime, manga, and games)
  • Mapping Kyoto Streets (like Tokyo Eye, but for Kyoto)
  • Begin Japanology (Still not exactly sure what the show's main theme is, but I like it. Usually discussing traditional Japanese culture, or how western ideas/things have been adapted into the Japanese culture)
  • Cool Japan (Discusses various parts of Japanese culture that have been popularized overseas. Unlike the other programs which are all up to date, this one's a bit older, because a few weeks ago I saw an episode I saw a few years ago)

I also enjoy Itadakimatsu! Dining With the Chef from time to time (depends on what they're cooking ).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

theblackdragon

Chrono_Cross wrote:

LollipopChoSaw wrote:

I'm going to assume it's insanely perverted (and even then, I'm probably underestimating the issue).

This is an understatement.

I'm so curious now.

Guys, I'm only going to say this once (and I wouldn't be saying it at all if I hadn't already had to delete something from this thread, so this message isn't solely preventative, mind you): if perversion is what interests you, please do your own research or find another forum to discuss your curiosities in detail. Nintendo Life is not the place. Thanks in advance!

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

The_Fox

For shame. You guys should have known better than that.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

LzWinky

LollipopChoSaw wrote:

For the record I had no intention of giving your readers nightmares, tbd.

I might be a jerk, but I'm not evil

Liar! I get nightmares from all of your posts!

I need more therapy

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

RR529

To put this thread back on track (and to save it from possibly getting locked), Begin Japanology was on today. It was all about the history of planetariums in Japan.

I'll post more on it later, but I have to go do something.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

komicturtle

LztheBlehBird wrote:

LollipopChoSaw wrote:

For the record I had no intention of giving your readers nightmares, tbd.

I might be a jerk, but I'm not evil

[/div]

Liar! I get nightmares from all of your posts!

I need more therapy

Maybe you should have treated the bird flu that's in your system. It's one of the symptoms.

komicturtle

RR529

I'm back! Again, on today's Begin Japanology, they were talking about planetariums in Japan.

They showcased a planetarium in Tokyo's main airport, that's also a café.

They showcased the story of Japan's most renowned Planetarium maker. How he became interested in them as a kid, and now makes most of the machinery for Japan's planetariums, and has a sucessful line of home planetariums.

They talked about the planetarium boom in Japan of the 1950's and 1960's, and how there has been a recent resurgence in interest recently (mostly amongst women).

Japanese planetariums have also begun to showcase other entertainment, such as CGI flyovers of Edo (old tokyo), to keep fresh.

They also talked about a planetarium in a middle school that closed 8 years ago, when the building was remodeled, and the students that devoted their time to rebuild it.

Also, I didn't notice it at first, but my brother noticed that nearly all of the episode's music was ripped from James Cameron's Avatar (he's a huge fan of the movie, and has everything about it memorized). They didn't credit the music in the credits, which is odd, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

theblackdragon

they actually do that quite a bit in their TV shows. it's funny because they'll credit the music in commercials, but TV shows are hit or miss.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

RR529

theblackdragon wrote:

they actually do that quite a bit in their TV shows. it's funny because they'll credit the music in commercials, but TV shows are hit or miss.

Are you referring to Japanese television in general, or NHK World in particular.

NHK World, is the english lanquage network, which is mostly Japanese news, but they have a lot of programming (like Begin Japanology) that talk about Japanese culture, or tourist locations (all of their programming is commercial free as well).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Hokori

Maid cafes they are hamazing

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

Bankai

Just_Match wrote:

I don't like Anime but I am interested in Japanese culture, what is this talk of maids?

Maid cafes are just like regular cafes, only incredibly expensive. They're expensive because the waitresses dress up in maid costumes and other kinds of cosplay.

They're basically there for people like Otaku, and tourists who find it amusing.

The rest of us go to hostess bars.

KaiserGX

Tell me more Choco. What else do you do there that I probably haven't herd of. Like those Ramune. I had a Doraemon one... crazy stuff.

Btw how do you get in? I herd foreigners are hard to get into them.

Edited on by KaiserGX

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

Bankai

Maid Cafes are busy, but they're no harder to get into than a regular cafe that's... busy. You just walk through the door

The problem is that otakus like to sit there and ogle the maids for hours on end, so getting a seat can be hard. Some cafes are so busy that there's a 60-minute limit on how long you can stay, though.

Hostess bars are not exclusive establishments either. You'll pay an obscene amount of money to visit one, though.

RR529

@LolipopChoSaw, what's your word on theblackdragon's statement that it's commonplace on Japanese tv for music to be ripped from movies, and put on their programs.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Bankai

Is there where you drink with a group of people?

It's a place you go to drink, and a beautiful woman sits with you and you have a conversation.

@LolipopChoSaw, what's your word on theblackdragon's statement that it's commonplace on Japanese tv for music to be ripped from movies, and put on their programs.

I really don't watch that much Japanese TV (or western movies) to have noticed.TBD knows about Japan, so if she says it's so I believe her.

RR529

^ OK then.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.