General Discussion Forum

Topic: Its ladies nite on nintendo life

Showing 61 to 80 of 139

AuthorMessage
Avatar

orlick

61. Posted:

SUPERZELDAMAN wrote:

@Orlik you got pwned by TheBlackDragon i think.
eat a waffle

But she is the exception that proves the rule - did you see her playtime on wii - 66 days or whatnot????

Its like 'tom-boy' gaming. That is not pawnage - that is her minority opinion - if ONE Supreme Court Justice writes a minority opinion - did the court get 'pawned'.

Uh - NO!

The issue is not that she is a women that approves of frat-fart game culture, the issue is she is on the INSIDE and this study COPNFIRMS that most people who look for opinions on games are on the OUTSIDE and do not WANT to look IN! (Becuase of the marginal, self defeating stereyotype confirming nature of game sites, including NL - to a point) Read this topic man - everyone is right its ladies nite and where are the ladies - in VERY short supply. Where are the mothers, looking for advice? Where is the diversity of opinion and thought? Where is the maturity? Where are the mainstream gamers???

So learn what the topic is about before you make your afwul waffles, cause I think you forgot the flour.....and milk.......and eggs.....and mixing bowl....

Ben Cartwright: You and your education.
Adam Cartwright: Education is progress! Now what have you got against it?
Ben Cartwright: I don't have anything against education - as long as it doesn't interfere with your thinking!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Magi

62. Posted:

Female gamers tend not to reveal themselves because of all the leghumpers.

Currently own: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, 3DS, iPad, PC's, WP7 Phone and a Vita. Who you callin' a fanboy?!
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" -The Joker

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Machu

63. Posted:

Dude, they are gamer's, stop singling them out. I think what you are trying to refer to are 'casual' gamers, who may be new to all this and are looking for advice/reviews/news. These casuals can be male also you know. :O

EDIT: lol @ leghumpers ahahahaha!

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stevie

64. Posted:

@Borelick - You take issues such as this far too seriously, ffs it is gaming and it is supposed to be fun so why don't you stop worrying about all the ifs and buts and have a little fun, or invest your "passion" into something that actually matters. Politics would be right up your street, politicians also think they are right when proven wrong and don't accept the opinions of others.

Edited on by Stevie

This is good

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

65. Posted:

Machu wrote:

Adam fit's quite snugly upon your face.

WHAT

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Machu

66. Posted:

Headcrab loving obviously. That is how you shall couple with one another, once he gets bored of the one he's got (or it falls off having died).

Rawr!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Token_Girl

67. Posted:

Man, so much ditto to everything Machu and Blackdragon said.

I do agree, that most likely the majority of new female gamers that are into wii, are casual. They probably buy off user reviews online, or may go to a gaming site and read reviews, but not participate in the forums because of the male domination or just because they're not serious enough about gaming to spend time on a forum. I wouldn't discount that a fair amount more females read the reviews here, because I did for a long time before I actually became a member.

This site really is the most female friendly site around. The sexiest game character thread is tame compared to some other game sites. I feel completely comfortable participating in forums here. There are some threads that aren't my cup of tea, and I just ignore them. I have lots of guy friends though, so I may be more used to this style discourse. I don't think my mom would be offended by anything on the site either, though she doesn't play games, so she probly wouldn't go on anyways.

Blackdragon said it better than I ever could, but I felt the same way about Twilight Princess. I WANT to know about any flaws in the game before I buy it, so I can make a purchase. If I want completely positive "FUN" and "MAGIC" I can read Nintendo's press releases, advertisements, etc. I look to a review to see if all the fun and magic advertised is actually present in the game. That's what reviews are for. If they always had glowingly positive reviews and ignored the flaws, Eugene, and people read them, bought a bunch of games, and didn't like them, then THAT would make people stop visiting the site. The reviews are written in the context they are, because many people HAVE played other games in the series and want to know how they compare. Or maybe someone hasn't and is wondering if they should go for the new game or older VC version. I think the reviews are understandable for those who haven't played a game in the series and generally give enough information that you know what the game is all about. It's not perfect, but again, if they didn't include comparisons with previous titles in the series, I and many other more experienced players would find the reviews less useful and LEAVE. Odds are casuals wouldn't find the site in large enough numbers to compensate, because they're casuals.

Also, Machu, can I declare my undying respect for you for posting those commercials and hating them. I just found them so insulting (I'm a woman, I'm interested in virtual shopping with my friends. This game is accessible for me, because it caters to these narrow stereotypical interests, whereas other Wii games that don't cater to those are not. I'm just a girl, I won't get those games that look like there may be some challenges or actual objectives at all. That's scary to me, because so many gamers are boys and might beat me if I play those, so I'm glad you're making me my own separate game)! I'm sure there's more to the game that makes it fun, since it seems popular around here. If there is, it wasn't in any of the ads for it.

I also think I posted an image of Power-Suit Samus on that thread or at least directed people to my avatar at the time which was power-suit Samus. Well-played Machu, well-played.

Now, if it's ladies' night, where's my free beer!

Edited on by Token_Girl

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery
Pokemon Platinum FC: 0517 9582 3270
Pokemon SS FC: 4512 4783 5710
Mario Kart DS FC: 4211 7712 2928

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Knux

68. Posted:

There are male and female harcore gamers, and there are male and female casual gamers. It's a shame that currently there are only a few female members on Nintendo Life though, I wish there was more female members. Because as far as I know, most of the members of Nintendo Life are male.

Edited on by Knux

supersonic1990z@hushmail.com Twitter Wii FC: 4579-0293-6760-7162 [10:25] DarkwingLz: D**mit Knux, tell Sony to release Vita TV here >:[

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4499-6603 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux1990 | Twitter: Knux1990

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Machu

69. Posted:

Token+Girl wrote:

Now, if it's ladies' night, where's my free beer!

Sorry, beer is for boys, I've got some white wine if you'd like. :P

Rawr!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Token_Girl

70. Posted:

I'll drink the white wine, higher alcohol content ftw!

Remember kids: Stereotyping is wrong, unless you're giving TokenGirl alcohol for free.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery
Pokemon Platinum FC: 0517 9582 3270
Pokemon SS FC: 4512 4783 5710
Mario Kart DS FC: 4211 7712 2928

AuthorMessage
Avatar

orlick

71. Posted:

Again - those here who attempt to make 'counter arguments' fail miserable because they cherry pick fringe issues.

Read the topic!

Why is it ladies nite? Because 44% of console owners THIS GEN are female, according to indepent NDP study. Are 44% of uisers on N-life female? - hell no.

Why should this site try to accomodate ladies and others you typically do not find on game sites and forums? Becuase again, according to the study, game sites and magazine are LAST (and this is ironic) as far as influence on why people buy games! That is complete failure for the game media industry, complete fail! Impotence.

Games sites are failing - they do not represent the industry, they marginalise themesleves witht the style and editorial of their content. Burying your head in the sand, appeasing and catering to the fringe 'base' and ignoring the facts does nothing. Nothing,

Alls Orlick is say to N-Life is this - should you decide to either ovehaul this site, or creat a new one, made over into the style of something like TV Guide - you could be the FIRST and ONLY site tapping into a whole new set of gaming customers.

Not potential customers mind you - real, paying customers that the industry you are covering reaches and pleases and you, as game journalisty, do not. In fact you insult them, call them casual idiots and ignore their game tastes because they are not in line with the fringe, low quality, frat-tastic cinema movement. Essential you follow suit of your competitors. IGN lays the 2 of Frat, 1-up follows with the 3 of Frat, Game informer the 4 of Frat, etc, etc. You all compete for the same fanboys.

Ben Cartwright: You and your education.
Adam Cartwright: Education is progress! Now what have you got against it?
Ben Cartwright: I don't have anything against education - as long as it doesn't interfere with your thinking!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Machu

72. Posted:

I've got a good idea, how about the ladies in question make suggestions as to how to make the site more welcomin' to the fairer sex (ha!), instead of us blokes stumbling about goin' grraagh as usual.

44% does seem high I'll give you that, where are they all?

heads to the x-files site

Rawr!

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

73. Posted:

Ooh, Machu's all dressed up for Halloween too. Are you coming trick-or-treating with me and my cowboy headcrab?

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage
Avatar

orlick

74. Posted:

Can a moderator please delete these off topic posts? I dont want to hear about chicken brutus' crabs in my topic.

Ben Cartwright: You and your education.
Adam Cartwright: Education is progress! Now what have you got against it?
Ben Cartwright: I don't have anything against education - as long as it doesn't interfere with your thinking!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Machu

75. Posted:

@Chicken: I'm prepping meself for the high sea's arg, te celebrate that pirate thingy. If ye can fit on me shoulder ur welcome, arg! Though you'll have to do something about Bob the Parrot, he pecked me out when I tried te move him, arg!

EDIT: We're sorry orlick.

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

clicketyclick

76. Posted:

Machu wrote:

Back on topic, if I was a girl I doubt I'd be on here, that sexiest game character thread (in which I posted a picture of Samus WITH powersuit) was cringe-worthy and probably didn't help attract lady members.

Ya, that was rather uncomfortable, especially since most of the 'sexy' pics posted were of Ninty characters who look like young girls. But the fact that there were some guys in the thread who spoke out against it reassured me that this site wasn't like others.

Also, I don't know what's wrong with those AC ads. They seemed nice to me. Or maybe that's just because I'm a sucker for a british accent.

Machu wrote:

Dude, they are gamer's, stop singling them out. I think what you are trying to refer to are 'casual' gamers, who may be new to all this and are looking for advice/reviews/news. These casuals can be male also you know. :O

Ya, well the overwhelming majority (over 70%) of casual gamers are female, so tomato/tomahhhto.

Now Playing: Bioshock

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

77. Posted:

orlick wrote:

Can a moderator please delete these off topic posts? I dont want to hear about chicken brutus' crabs in my topic.

I'll get right on it.

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage
Avatar

orlick

78. Posted:

No, on second thought just leave them - they prove my point. Talking like a pirate.....photoshopping head crabs on avatars...

We will never get past this, its hopeless. game culture is doomed to be niche and unrespectable forever...what good can you say when people brag about being 'hardcore' at a coporate, commercial hobby as a status symbol?

I am depressed noe, time for a hiatus - you guys win, thanks for nothing.

Ben Cartwright: You and your education.
Adam Cartwright: Education is progress! Now what have you got against it?
Ben Cartwright: I don't have anything against education - as long as it doesn't interfere with your thinking!

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

79. Posted:

orlick wrote:

No, on second thought just leave them

I'll get right on it.

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nanaki

80. Posted:

Jeez. This is becoming a bit of a conspiracy theory.

You've got to remember that we have a lot of readership on this site that doesn't actively go through the forums. As I think it has been mentioned here before (I skimmed the thread; you'll have to forgive me that), only the core of a site actively contributes in a forum: by no means is this a bad thing. Our audience is large and varied, and, as such, there are people who do not participate in forums. Certainly nothing to worry about; there are gaming girls out there (maybe even disguised - oooh, how about that for a conspiracy? Sorry, can't resist being facetious at times ;))

Nanaki

Sorry, this topic has been locked.