Forums

Topic: Its ladies nite on nintendo life

Posts 121 to 139 of 139

orlick

theblackdragon wrote:

[This is the same stuff you've been parroting for months now -- boo hoo, people are having fun the way they want to have fun, making (sometimes) obscure gaming jokes, messing around, and arguing (politely?) over things with one another in a group discussion-type setting, and you don't like it. More confirmation that you're doing this for yourself, Eugene. Congratulations on finally coming up with a way to phrase it all, though, that doesn't make you sound like a complete jerk (at first).

Well I am not a pirate, therefore I am not interested in your booty.....don't bring the banter junk into my topics please.

Thats all this is - a group of ppl here who post a lot in fad and 'general friend' topics have to bring their tag team matches into legitimate topics and game disccusions where they DO NOT belong. There is a time and a place for it, (a thousand on this very board!) and it is disrespectful to me to de-rail my topic like y'all did...

It is rude and counterproductive to the board, and alienates indepent users and opinions.

Such talk has nothing to do with whatever points I make or others make - I am not part of the cool club, so you make fun of me, and and play pin the tail feathers on the chicken, and clutter the topic with pirate talk. micawber once made a little 'friendly-joke' post in a C.B. topic (and it WAS off topic, I admit) and was banned secondes later. Thank goodness for double standards....

"Arrrrr..... walk thee plank, orlick, you are no Nintendo Lifer....."

This topic was NEVER about your taste in gaming or game sites black dragon, I am not trying to change YOUR opinion, because it is irrelevant to THIS topic. This topic is about the DISCONNECT between the game media and game buyers, as illistrated by the independent NDP study. Especially women, who are either viewed as hardcore lap dogs stereotype or as idiot casuals by the sexist media. I was just trying to help this board and site be a little more conscious and proactive to that fact, to improve their business and overall quality. Look at how women are generally potrayed in games - just a big set of ta-ta's.

But no good deed goes unpunished.

Ben Cartwright: You and your education.
Adam Cartwright: Education is progress! Now what have you got against it?
Ben Cartwright: I don't have anything against education - as long as it doesn't interfere with your thinking!

Stuffgamer1

@orlick: First off, I'd like to apologize for allowing myself to be wrapped up in the holiday festivities on your thread. You're right; there were others upon which to do such, ones that wouldn't mind it so much.

I'd like to ask you a question: How do you know that the casual and/or woman gamers would even WANT a website like you've been talking about? Is it not possible that the reason gaming websites cater to those that they do is that they're the only ones interested in the first place? Surely, if a casual/women-centered or even just friendly site needed to exist, wouldn't it by now?

You grabbed some plain, factual statistics and claimed that something needed to be done about them. But did it really? Maybe there was nothing wrong with how things were, how things ARE. Maybe you're the only person fighting this battle, the only one who cares. You'd certainly have a hard time proving otherwise to us, because the people you wish to defend don't come here anyway, or so you insist.

Edited on by Stuffgamer1

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

clicketyclick

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

But I guess the important question is: How DO we turn lurkers into participating regulars? By being what we are, I'd say. Take my brother for example: Lombax42 around the web, NLife included. He was a long-time lurker even after I became a participating regular. It was the stories about fun times on the forums that finally convinced him to sign up! Granted, this is probably not too common an occurrence, but it did work in that case!

I'm not really sure how to turn a lurker into a participating regular under normal conditions. It seems to me that they'll convert themselves if they want to...and until they do, we have no way to ask them what will make them want to. Guessing at that could mess up an already great site with a potential for no end benefits. So unless we want to post an article that exists solely to invite lurkers in to tell us what they want from the site in order to become participating regulars, I don't think this discussion is really going to go anywhere useful in the long run.

How circular. Females aren't joining the site, and won't join until they want to. They won't want to unless certain changes have been made to motivate them to. But we're not even willing to discuss possible changes (let alone make them) unless they tell us what they want, but they're not here to tell us what they want because they aren't joining the site, and they won't join until they want to...

"Being what we are" might help convert lurkers like your brother, but it's not converting females. If nearly 50% of people who play games are female, then why are there so few females on gaming sites? And that's the issue under discussion.

Now Playing: Bioshock

Stuffgamer1

@Clicketyclick: But like I said, we can't just go changing things and HOPING the ladies show up! It could screw up the site for the current users and wind up bringing in NOBODY! I say that if they DO need a good place online, they should get a dedicated website. I'm just not convinced there's any other way to go about it.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

clicketyclick

@Stuffy - we can't go changing things without even talking about them. But apparently, no-one cares to talk about it. They'd rather either insist on the status quo or talk gibberish.

As for the 'if they want a good place, they should go get their own one instead of wanting changes to ours' sentiment, it worked out very nicely in South Africa and Southern USA, don't you agree.

Edited on by clicketyclick

Vendetta

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

I say that if they DO need a good place online, they should get a dedicated website. I'm just not convinced there's any other way to go about it.

Does anyone believe that such a site wouldn't be overrun with guys before its organizers get their first hosting bill?

Vendetta

Stuffgamer1

@Clicketyclick: You lost me with that South Africa thing.
I'm not necessarily saying we can't at least TALK about site enhancements, but what upgrades can you think of that would be practical to maintaining current userbase AND attracting the less experienced gamers? There's a certain natural divide in the way things work when you're aiming a site toward one or the other, and I really don't see how we could appeal to both.

@Vendetta: Depends on how they did it. If the site's home page made it immediately obvious that there was nothing to interest the raving hardcore guys, it might be able to retain its purpose pretty well. shrug

clicketyclick

@Stuffy - segregation.

I already made some general suggestions. The site could do with more interactive features, wider content coverage, and not pick up on Kotaku stories/System Wars-type news as much.

Perhaps hiring women writers would help. Will Wright credits the success of The Sims amongst women and men (roughly 50:50 audience) to a balanced team of developers, 50% of whom are women. He says their perspective and contributions by female staff on all the levels of development ensured the end product reflected the female audience's interests and desires.

Edited on by clicketyclick

Vendetta

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

If the site's home page made it immediately obvious that there was nothing to interest the raving hardcore guys, it might be able to retain its purpose pretty well. shrug

...aside from all the ladies? ...who love video games? ...on the internet? ...gathered in one place?

Sheez, you could sell memberships to guys on a site like that. (Free business idea for anyone who wants it. You're welcome.)

Vendetta

Machu

orlick wrote:

Some stuff!

The title of the thread was a bad start don't you think, perhaps you should have entitled it 'Video-Game Demographics' so as to initiate the kind of discussion you were looking for. Instead, you said it was 'ladies night on Nintendo Life', a website infested with boys and men, so don't blame us, YOU started it.

Tbh I couldn't give two hoots about demographics, either in gaming or upon this site. NL caters for what I want and I imagine the thousands of male users (and the odd female) feel the same also. Yes, there is off topic banter, probably too much, but that's because there's a good bunch here who like a laugh, and don't take forum-life seriously at all. Also, you've been kicked how many times now?! This makes it hard to take you seriously and be welcoming. If one day I get myself banned, I shall just revert to being an occasional visitor, hunting for news and reviews with all the anonymous females who lurk, I wouldn't dream of re-joining under a different username, that would just be silly.

You've made yourself the comedy-villain of Nintendo Life, and you play up to it. Don't complain!

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

orlick

clicketyclick wrote:

@Stuffy - segregation.

I already made some general suggestions. The site could do with more interactive features, wider content coverage, and not pick up on Kotaku stories/System Wars-type news as much.

Perhaps hiring women writers would help. Will Wright credits the success of The Sims amongst women and men (roughly 50:50 audience) to a balanced team of developers, 50% of whom are women. He says their perspective and contributions by female staff on all the levels of development ensured the end product reflected the female audience's interests and desires.

This.

I would prefer just to go to a more professional style of reporting - 'this is the product, this is the release date' - rather than hype/editorial/game bash coverage/reviews/previews.. It would be a breathe of fresh air, on the whole internet.

It is just a suggestion - to not judge books and games by covers, like Machu and this topic title, perhaps. Also Machu, I am not a comdiec villain, again, your comedic band of merry men and woman just paint me as one. If I made little snide one liners at every oppurtunity - and the one liners I could make! - I could add a little comedic value to many people here. I avoid most such topics/posts as best I can, but every once in a while you have to stand up for yourself.

But if I did I would not for long - I would be banned for that.

At the very least, this site should consider a 'sister site', not dumbed down for women, mind you, just not dumbed down - period (for guys). I would not consider that 'segregation' either, just an oppurtunity.

Ben Cartwright: I don't have anything against education - as long as it doesn't interfere with your thinking!

Chunky_Droid

Wow, for a ladies nite thread I was thinking something..... sexier

Chunky_Droid

3DS Friend Code: 4554-0236-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Chunky_Droid | Twitter:

orlick

So - to prove I am the 'comedic villain'??? - you post a giant photo as an 'answer' to my new avatar - a tribute to one of my favorite charachters in one of my favorite movies - a tribute to RIcardo.

So that is your answer, but what was the question?

You are being the comedic villain, for whatever reason I got the opack on me from day one - I think it was for:

1. Not beleiving Nintendo was 'lazy' and NPC was the totality of Nintendo development on Wii for the year or for the future.... How did I do on that one?

2. Saying it was rude and silly for Nintendo life to 'preview-bash' "Its my Birthday", and that all the borad referendum topics that called for a 'ban' or 'boycott' of this game in all defiance of the rules of free market, common sense, and personal responsibility were silly and pointless. How did I do on that one?

3. Criticising the general idea of responding with emotional arguments to non emotional topics, games, and markets. Trying to put a damper on devisive and fruitless hardcore/casual branding.

It is not that I was wrong or sensational, just that common sense is not welcome when there is a cult like frenzy attached to the conventional wisdom of the day. "Follow and cheerlead the charasmatic rabble rousers, tar and feather the causals, muzzle orlick!"

That is not the Nintendo fan environment I remember, I do not appreciate it, and I will not tolerate it. For too long board memebers have let a sensational, biased and and elitist media call the shots.

Adam

For the record, Orlick, I agree generally with you in this thread, if not every specific thing you've said, but as a male I don't feel qualified to make suggestions for what women want out of this site. The most obvious thing, and I'm not sure if NL has done this yet, would be to hire female reviewers (and not to review only stereotypically girly stuff). Once the staff is more balanced, the women could make better suggestions for improvement than I could.

Edit: Just saw the post above. I wouldn't get caught up in that. Just report off-topic posts. Also, I apologize for my off-topic posts earlier because I thought you said you were done with the thread, so I figured it was harmless to promote the pirate guys doing their thing. But as long as discussion is underway I won't interfere.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Machu

@orlick: I'm not trying to victimize you, as much as it may seem like it. I just enjoy messing with people, on teh web and irl. Get over it.

Rawr!

orlick

ITs ok guys. I do not really feel bad, I just pointed it out cause I think it is often very inconsistent on who gets their butt nailed to the wall here.

It IS annoying when ppl quit making on topic repsonses when quoting another person, but other than that I really do not care that much.

Nanaki

Well, this one has gotten itself derailed and turned more into a bout of bickering. Ergo, locked.

Nanaki

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.