Forums

Topic: Its ladies nite on nintendo life

Posts 101 to 120 of 139

Stevie

As Nintendo has just started a promotion for the EU to give Wii owners free VC downloads in return for connecting other Wii owners Wii's to the Interwebs... Maybe NL should follow suit and offer some incentive to NL users for bringing more females to the NL site. How about a week with a gold shield for every ten pairs of XX chromosomes introduced to the site

Edited on by Stevie

Stuffgamer1

clicketyclick wrote:

I don't think he was thinking of sexism either, V, and I don't think he mentioned it. Just usability. I think it was Machu, Stuffgamer, and I who were the only ones talking about it, and I was talking about it in the context of other sites.

If he really only meant usability, then isn't that being sexist, acting like women can't use the site without it being totally redone? I maintain that he SHOULD have been talking about casual gamers from the start instead of wording things as though all female gamers are casual and vice versa.

I love the way my X-Files site statement actually caught on so well. Most of the time, my comments of such nature seem to get largely ignored.

I do also agree with the "lurker" statements. We can't assume that the ONLY people who ever visit this site are hardcore nuts like us forum users.

@Adam: For the record, I don't like your new avatar very much. I want Flint back! you gotta flaunt your Earthbound/Mother fandom, like I do!

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

Magi

theblackdragon wrote:

I wonder how many people here are actually fathers, too. I know there are plenty of gamer men and women with children out there, but i'm sure they pick and choose which forums they post on, because there's just not enough hours in the day.

I've got two little Magi's and a Mrs. Magi at home. We are an entire family of people who play games. Although, I hesitate to say we are all "gamers". We play as time permits.

The interweb is still pretty much like the Wild West. Lots of places to go and lots of places to stake your claim and one can't be everywhere at once. And as an added bonus, we all get to wear spurs!!

Magi

SMEXIZELDAMAN

wow.....this thread died....
@Weirdadam&ChickenBrutus you guys would make the perfect couple!

Edited on by SMEXIZELDAMAN

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

Stevie

Hey SUPERDUPERPIRATEZELDAPIECESOFEIGHTTINGLEMAN check the link in my Sig, your part of the crew, in the crows nest naturally (when Machu gets round to installing one, I don't know, he's more bothered about slides and cargo netting )

Edited on by Stevie

Machu

@Stevie: Slides and cargo nets are installed, as is the ball-pit and trampoline. Now I'm trying to find some pirate-ladies for our voyage, but they are somewhat scarce, and wary of boys. Rightly so if you ask me. Arg!

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

Stevie

ARRRGGGHHH, the second Cap'n of the ship has arisen, maybe we can install a revolving dance floor, t' ladies have gotta love that !!!!!!

EDIT: As you may see I have been busy

Edited on by Stevie

Machu

Sounds like a great idea, we'll get a disco ball and a few barrels of smirnoff ice, the ladies will come flocking I'm sure, arg! Uhoh, the native indigenous orlick's will be getting restless. Where's that pirate thread gone?!

Rawr!

Stevie

Oh the Pirate thread is still there, its just kinda spilled over into the ladies thread me hearty, make of that what you will

Smirnoff Ice is not very piratey, we need some kind of rum based cocktail, Luigi78 is on bar duties anyways so leave it to him (If he can be bothered to turn in for his shift) otherwise its the Tinglemeister on bar duties, and if that happens we may not make it back to land. But thats the life of a pirate. AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH (yes I am aware non of that was in pirate lingo and I tried to make up for this by adding AAARRRGGGHHHHH onto the end of the comment, but talk like a pirate day is tommorow so feel free to "get on my case" tommorow.

P.S Orlick may be in Davy Jones locker me thinks

Machu

Aye Captain, tomorrow I will be PURE pirate, ALL day!

Does orlick want to come on our voyage of discovery and treasure and exotic ladies? We could do with someone to swab the deck.

Rawr!

Stevie

orlick wrote:

But she is the exception that proves the rule - did you see her time at sea - 66 days or whatnot????

Its like 'tombola-boy' gambling. That is not pawnage - that is her piratety opinion - if ONE Supreme Court Justice writes a minority opinion - did the ship get 'capsized'.

Uh - NO!

The issue is not that she is a women that approves of pirate-fart game culture, the issue is she is on the INSIDE and this study COPNFIRMS that most people who look for opinions on pirates are on the OUTSIDE and do not WANT to look IN! (Becuase of the marginal, self defeating stereyotype confirming nature of pirate ships, including NL - to a point) Read this topic man - everyone is right its ladies nite and where are the ladies - in VERY short supply. Where are the mothers, looking for shore? Where is the diversity of opinion and thought? Where is the mutiny? Where are the mainstream pirates???

So learn what the topic is about before you make your afwul waffles, cause I think you forgot the rum.....and sour kraut.......and sea biscuits.....and mixing bowl....

I don't think he is cut out for the pirate life.

Adam

Did you pirates just commandeer this thread?

I must say... I approve.

Ar.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Stevie

I'm sure we have space for a pirate, cowboy, chicken loving/head eating crab on board our ship!!!!!

Rum

theblackdragon

Magi wrote:

The interweb is still pretty much like the Wild West. Lots of places to go and lots of places to stake your claim and one can't be everywhere at once. And as an added bonus, we all get to wear spurs!!

i think mine got lost in the mail, because i've been hanging around places on the internet for well over a decade now and i still haven't gotten them

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

clicketyclick

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

clicketyclick wrote:

I don't think he was thinking of sexism either, V, and I don't think he mentioned it. Just usability. I think it was Machu, Stuffgamer, and I who were the only ones talking about it, and I was talking about it in the context of other sites.

If he really only meant usability, then isn't that being sexist, acting like women can't use the site without it being totally redone? I maintain that he SHOULD have been talking about casual gamers from the start instead of wording things as though all female gamers are casual and vice versa.

Ok I think I misrepresented his point. "Usability" is probably the wrong word. Maybe "accessibility" or "appeal" or something along those lines. Basically, matching content and coverage to a certain group's interests, needs, and desires.

As for that stuff about lurkers, I think the idea is that forum posters are more likely to refresh the page and give more hits per week than lurkers, so it would be in a site's best interests to pull visitors in and try to turn them into participating regulars by getting them to use interactive features on the site and post comments. Like Miyamoto said, all core gamers started off as casual gamers. Similarly, all forum regs start off as lurkers. What Miyamoto is after is how to turn a casual gamer into a core gamer, and what game sites should be after is how to turn lurkers into participating regs.

Now Playing: Bioshock

Stuffgamer1

DO all core gamers start off casual? I think if you start off as a kid, that might not be the case. For as long as I've been alive, there have been video games in this house. I grew up with them...it was normal. They've been a huge part of my life, so I would say I've never really been a casual gamer at all.

But that's just me nitpicking. All OLDER new gamers start of casual and have to make their way up the tiers of games to make it to core. But I guess the important question is: How DO we turn lurkers into participating regulars? By being what we are, I'd say. Take my brother for example: Lombax42 around the web, NLife included. He was a long-time lurker even after I became a participating regular. It was the stories about fun times on the forums that finally convinced him to sign up! Granted, this is probably not too common an occurrence, but it did work in that case!

I'm not really sure how to turn a lurker into a participating regular under normal conditions. It seems to me that they'll convert themselves if they want to...and until they do, we have no way to ask them what will make them want to. Guessing at that could mess up an already great site with a potential for no end benefits. So unless we want to post an article that exists solely to invite lurkers in to tell us what they want from the site in order to become participating regulars, I don't think this discussion is really going to go anywhere useful in the long run.

Also, @pirate dudes: Don't ye think ye be getting a bit over-zealous about this pirate thing? I admit I say this largely because I don't have the tools and/or know-how to make a pirate Ness avatar and join in...

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

SMEXIZELDAMAN

@Stevie whooo im in your pirate ship!
WOO im in charge of the RUM!

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

Stevie

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH Stuffgamer1 relax me matey, it be talk like a pirate day today (19th), then the fun be over....untill next year.

BTW Happy Talk like a pirate day to all me Nintendo Life matey's !!!!!!!

Stuffgamer1

Aye, now that I'm part o' your crew (soft, plushy looks or no), Me don't think tis' too much at all, shiver me timbers! You can count on me t' work in the galley makin' the craziest food you''e e'er eaten, or me name's not Mad Jack Kidd!

Machu

Mad Jack Kidd! Get ur pan hot, I need me some cackle fruit on toast. Yar.

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.