Forums

Topic: Is Society Really Declining?

Posts 101 to 120 of 141

The_Fox

Part of the problem is people tend to romanticize the past. Ever see those people who say they wish America today were more like the 1950's? That sure was a great time. IF you were a straight white Christian male. Not such a good time for gays, blacks and minorities, was it? Society has always been a sick little puppy in one way or another, and as Joe Diddley showed in those quotes in his posts near the beginning of this thread, there have always been people wringing their hands and declaring the end is at hand.

By the way, those claiming today's music is a sign of the decline is utter nonsense. You do realize that was said about Beethoven, Elvis and just about everyone else, right?

Edited on by The_Fox

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Vendetta

The+Fox wrote:

By the way, those claiming today's music is a sign of the decline is utter nonsense. You do realize that was said about Beethoven, Elvis and just about everyone else, right?

I'm not sure it's nonsense, but it does illustrate perfectly my point that an increase in tolerance leads to an increase in the products which push its limits. And ummm... Beethoven? I don't believe his music was criticized for inciting violence, hatred, misogyny , etc.

Vendetta

Modern_Legend

Unlocked and reloaded, cool, i have nothing to contribute to this though since i dont believe society is declining, i just believe its based on perceptions. Some people want to live in the 80s, even 1800s some people wish they could go 30 years in the future and see all the new technology. Its a debate that nobody can win in since everyones subject to their own view and theres no right or rong about that

PSN ID: MixedMajik
Wii Number - 5995 0961 9020 5722 SSBB - 1504 5385 8344 Mario Kart Wii - 5327 1326 6518 Bomberman Blast 5370 8314 4869 Water Warfare 5327 9207 9563 http://www.nintendoli...

Vendetta

On a lot of things I'd agree with you, DaDun, that there's no right or wrong. Like Frankenberry being better than Count Chocula (some might disagree, but they'd be wrong LOL), or whether we should make Prosody do a shot before each new post (so wrong it's right!). But there are some things that are objectively, I dare say universally wrong. And promoting those things as glamorous is also wrong, particularly when done so towards younger, more impressionable audiences.

Vendetta

Modern_Legend

Yes are right vendetta, the right moral and social norms have to be taught to young people. We cant feed them bad information to carry on in their lives. Using your point on this topic though, influencing young people that the society they are growing up in is bad and unhealthy really isnt a nice/fair thing to say. Its almost like you are putting them down from your own egotistical perspective. It is true, some places in society are worse off than others, but there are still great things everywhere if you look around. And for some reason, my english wording of this comment seems to be very off, quite unlike me lol

PSN ID: MixedMajik
Wii Number - 5995 0961 9020 5722 SSBB - 1504 5385 8344 Mario Kart Wii - 5327 1326 6518 Bomberman Blast 5370 8314 4869 Water Warfare 5327 9207 9563 http://www.nintendoli...

CowLaunch

Every generation throughout history has lamented the worsening of standards in society and the youth of their time. You can actually read letters from early modern England that say almost exactly what people are saying now. Society never was what people thought it was, human behaviour never lives up to the ideals of the time.

Edited on by CowLaunch

CowLaunch

@Dadun- I agree. I've said this for awhile now (realworld, not here) that I think that some parents need to take their job of child raising more seriously. It's not just about locing your child and protecting them now, but raising them to be compassionate people giving them decent morals to guid them. That includes trying to set a good example. Also some people need to teach their children respect.
I think it would be a good thing to have a class encouraging and teaching morals, politness, respect and compassion for others. Also might be good for people to be taught when they young to think through things before doing them and what the consequences could be because of them.
I also think that some parents really need to be careful with what they let their kids get exposed to. I think some parents take this too lightly.

I'm not saying this to tear down young people. I'm saying that if we want to make a better world, we need to start with our kids. I think that the key. Like building a good foundation for a better future.

3ds fc: 1247-0003-1095
MK Fc: 2793- 3370-8506
Wii Fc: 7382-7314-0404-2194
Fiance Wendy's MK FC:(Same system) 4854-9224-0913
Uno FC: 1849-3080-8612
Overturn FC: 3266-3672-0977
Animal Crossing CF FC: 3094-5964-6068 Name: LTGamer, town: Wiitopia.

"NO SOU...

Metang

longtimegamer wrote:

@Dadun- I agree. I've said this for awhile now (realworld, not here) that I think that some parents need to take their job of child raising more seriously. It's not just about locing your child and protecting them now, but raising them to be compassionate people giving them decent morals to guid them. That includes trying to set a good example. Also some people need to teach their children respect.
I think it would be a good thing to have a class encouraging and teaching morals, politness, respect and compassion for others. Also might be good for people to be taught when they young to think through things before doing them and what the consequences could be because of them.
I also think that some parents really need to be careful with what they let their kids get exposed to. I think some parents take this too lightly.

I'm not saying this to tear down young people. I'm saying that if we want to make a better world, we need to start with our kids. I think that the key. Like building a good foundation for a better future.

You might want to talk to my parents. While they certainly do a good job of being careful what I am exposed to, the morals they've been teaching me are the worst: they've taught me nothing but intolerance and hatred for humanity.

Images speak louder than words.
YouTube: TheLegendaryPirate
Email: e.&...

@Metang-Wow! I hope you think differantly, dispite this.

Edit- I think their should be a required parenting class that teaches good parenting skills (and to make them aware that there is more to parenting than keeping kids alive and entertained.

Edited on by longtimegamer

"NO SOU...

Metang

longtimegamer wrote:

@Metang-Wow! I hope you think differantly, dispite this.

Well, they ARE right-wing conservatives. They've been teaching me to be a homophobic, and I used to be like that until last Spring, when I joined Bulbagarden forums.

Metang wrote:

Hasn't anyone watched this yet? It's a perfect example of what's happened to music...

Holy crap... that made me want to vomit! they aren't even singing! it's just using damn computers to auto-tune those talent-less voices.

3DS FC: 1118-0222-5055

longtimegamer

@Ristar42- There's nothing wrong with teaching people to be nice, respectful, and to think out their actions. How can someone not agree with that?

"NO SOU...

Metang

@longtimegamer: Like I said, when it comes to what I watch on TV, what movies I see, what I view on the internet, and what games I play, they do a pretty good job. But when it comes to morals... shivers

The ruling class doesn't want people to be able to think for themselves and have high moral values. The few control the many through fear, hate, ignorance and denial. Their power depends on the society being "bad". If they have media corporations, the financial system, the entertainment industry, the public health and education system, organized religions, etc. in their pockets, they control our life, our reality because these are the things that make the system we live in. From the day people become conscious, they are being conditioned by the system, which - as many might have noticed - is corrupt. As we know, 2+2=4, but what if we were taught that 2+2=5 from the day we become conscious? Probably it would become a fact, the "truth", because everyone says so.
I think I didn't make the point very clear, just read George Orwell's "1984" to understand what I'm saying.
PS. If anyone thinks today's pop music sucks, stop listening to it check out the indie and underground music scene.

My Flipnote Studio code: Y,Y,A,R,Left,Y,Right,Right (Europe)

Dizzy_Boy

i totally agree to the comment above.
the culture of somebody sueing somebody else needs to stop. if you trip, and injure yourself, who`s to blame. YOU ARE, nobody else. how can you blame somebody else if you don`t pay attention to where you`re going. it`s rediculous.
also, pollitical correctness is also the bigfest pile of sh8 going. as far as i`m concearned, it`s a weak mans excuse to avoid responsability, and a way of controlling people through fear.

Edited on by Dizzy_Boy

Dizzy_Boy

Twitter:

Machu

Like others here have stated, the negatives may sometimes outshine the positives, but they never outnumber them. I'm aware of home grown terrorists, I hear that 12yr old kid saying **** off to his mum, I read that idiot's words here yesterday, I watch the news and feel like crying when I learn of brutal rapes and murders, i don't know my neighbours, I see old ladies avoid eye contact with me when all I'm trying to do is smile, I'm used to not being thanked for holding a door open for a lady, I'm tired of the superficial image the media expects us to live up to, I wonder how equality can ever truly be whilst sex sells, I see parents buying their children GTA, I see at least a dozen things everyday which could easily make me give up hope, but right now I'm smiling.

Regardless of any body else's behaviour, I was brought up with manners and morals and respect for my elders, and I know that the majority of other people were too. If we stick to what we know and don't get dragged down with the rest of the pond-life, there's nothing stopping any of us seeing and enjoying the best of one another, and passing that knowledge on to subsequent generations.

I am the eternal optimist, we'll be okay in the end, we've got this far without society tearing itself apart. Admittedly, we have along way to go and many challenges ahead, but then so did all those before us and they were living in much darker times.

I'm not one for religion, but I have alot of faith.

Rawr!

Vendetta

And with that, Machu my friend, you demonstrate the hopes and better instincts of us all. Well done.

Vendetta

longtimegamer

@Machu- Yeah, I was thinking about something like that GTA example of your. I think I saw something simular. Don't recall for sure if she let the kid/kids? buy it. My memory's not good on it, but there was something about it that I didn't like. Maybe she made it apparent that she wasn't worried about them playing it. Wish I could remember for sure.
Also I open doors quite alot(at least hold em open) too. There are times where I've had to keep it open forvawhile. Sometime's I may decide they're enough away that I won't though. I remember doing this for an old man and it seemed he looked at me strangly (unless it was my imagination).

Edited on by longtimegamer

"NO SOU...

ItsFuzzyPickles

@Metang: I listened to that song is it is pure garbage! I am dead serious, I cannot stand it. Who in the world who mix rap and metal, two of my most hated genre of musics, into one? It doesn't work. The music is terrible, nothing works, they insulted females, and more. In short, it's the worst music I've ever exposed myself fully to.

Society sucks, I wish we were in the mid to late 90's again or even go back further. Here are amazing musics that nobody this generation listen to these days:

And so much more.

ItsFuzzyPickles

Switch Friend Code: SW-1409-9782-5984 | Nintendo Network ID: astarisborn94 | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.