General Discussion Forum

Topic: Is it worth Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7?

Showing 21 to 31 of 31

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ravage

21. Posted:

I currently have Vista Home Premium (64 bit), but we should all be running 64 bit systems by now, but whatever. I would recommend getting 64 bit if your computer has 3 or 4 GB of RAM. 32 bit systems have a harder time with lots of RAM (also commonly referred to as DDR or DDR2, etc.). Oh, and a laptop without 2 GB of RAM now adays, is a rip-off. Unless it is very cheap. It's your choice if you want to get Ultimate, but make sure it's extras are really worth the extra cost to you.

Also, you should know that the basic does not have emulation for XP, but you can still run programs in XP mode, but it is apparently a pain in the butt to set up.

Edited on by Ravage

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.
Just Say No To Toast!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ShadowFlame76

22. Posted:

and if your hardware such as your CPU supports 64bits.. if not, it will be a waste of $ to get a 64bit OS. 32bit is still the highest % of systems.

ShadowFlame76

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Magi

23. Posted:

ddr3 memory is readily available now.

imho, I'd take Win98 first, then XP, then 7. All of the rest of them can go in the toilet....ESPECIALLY non-microsoft OS's.

Currently own: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, 3DS, iPad, PC's, WP7 Phone and a Vita. Who you callin' a fanboy?!
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" -The Joker

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

24. Posted:

Unless you have 4GB of total system memory (including your graphics card) I wouldn't worry too much about the advantages of a 64bit OS vs a 32bit OS. It isn't a matter of a 64bit OS being able to handle "more RAM better" a 32bit OS literally can't address more than 4GB of memory. There are other benefits to a 64bit architecture but for desktop use they are fairly minimal, its mostly about how much memory you can address. If he has Vista already and has a 64bit machine he is probably already using a 64bit OS anyway.

64bit also has its limit..... at about 17million GB
:D

Magi wrote:

imho, I'd take Win98 first, then XP, then 7. All of the rest of them can go in the toilet....ESPECIALLY non-microsoft OS's

I never understood software allegiances. but hey, this dude said '98 was better than 7
case closed!

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gameaddict247

25. Posted:

Badknux wrote:

I'd actually like to downgrade to XP.

I totally get that. Do you run Vista at the moment? everyone I know who has it as the op system hates - im glad I have XP.

My You Tube Video Game Reviews

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ravage

26. Posted:

skywake wrote:

Unless you have 4GB of total system memory (including your graphics card) I wouldn't worry too much about the advantages of a 64bit OS vs a 32bit OS. It isn't a matter of a 64bit OS being able to handle "more RAM better" a 32bit OS literally can't address more than 4GB of memory. There are other benefits to a 64bit architecture but for desktop use they are fairly minimal, its mostly about how much memory you can address. If he has Vista already and has a 64bit machine he is probably already using a 64bit OS anyway.

64bit also has its limit..... at about 17million GB
:D

Magi wrote:

imho, I'd take Win98 first, then XP, then 7. All of the rest of them can go in the toilet....ESPECIALLY non-microsoft OS's

I never understood software allegiances. but hey, this dude said '98 was better than 7
case closed!

I agree, just get Win98, so much better :D

Also, for those who understand a small bit of this, 32 and 64 bit refers to the number of bits in a word (word is a rather historical term and kind if annoying). We will be seeing TB "RAMs" fairly soon, but anyway. I was kind of talking about the OS's ability to manage more memory, which Vista isn't very good at lol I have heard 7 is much better.

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.
Just Say No To Toast!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nintendork

27. Posted:

Magi wrote:

ddr3 memory is readily available now.

imho, I'd take Win98 first, then XP, then 7. All of the rest of them can go in the toilet....ESPECIALLY non-microsoft OS's.

This is a joke, right?

That's why you're still a kid.
ADD ME ON PSN: xnintendorkx
Youtube account: xNintendorkx

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ravage

28. Posted:

Nope.

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.
Just Say No To Toast!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sean007s

29. Posted:

Nintendork wrote:

Magi wrote:

ddr3 memory is readily available now.

imho, I'd take Win98 first, then XP, then 7. All of the rest of them can go in the toilet....ESPECIALLY non-microsoft OS's.

This is a joke, right?

I do seriously hope so....lol
Could you imagine trying to run stuff from today onto a windows 98 PC......hell no.

In about 5 hours i should have Windows 7 installed and i'll tell you what i think :)
Lets hope it doesn't go bloody wrong.

Playstation Network ID:Sean007s
Wii Friend Code:8597 6921 2179 2755. Add me please..
Skype:Sean007s
Currently playing:Uncharted 2,Soul Caliber 4,ModernWarfare2,Final Fantasy XIII.
Excited for: Fallout New Vegas,Gran Turismo 5,CoD:Black Ops.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Magi

30. Posted:

skywake wrote:

I never understood software allegiances. but hey, this dude said '98 was better than 7
case closed!

Who said anything about software allegiance? The toilet-full would include Windows 95, Windows Millenium, Windows 2000 (a little iffy on this one), and Windows NT.

Currently own: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, 3DS, iPad, PC's, WP7 Phone and a Vita. Who you callin' a fanboy?!
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" -The Joker

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bubby323

31. Posted:

I actually got my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64- bit for free by hosting a party through a company Microsoft had partnered with for the launch, and I must say I love it. It is definitely worth the upgrade. Screw Vista and get 7! For XP users get Ultimate and you can use “XP mode” with your current programs! ;)

Edited on by bubby323

Check Out DSiHub!

Check out DSiHub's Twitter for more updates.

Email dsihub@yahoo.com with comments and suggestions.