Forums

Topic: IGN E3 2010 Award Nominations

Posts 1 to 20 of 32

RandomWiiPlayer

Well Goldeneye is a remake, and The Conduit sucked, so I'm not surprised that they aren't shooter nominees.

And did they really just put Kinectimals as a nominee for best motion controlled game? That is a failure right there.

The Game.

Is it after 9PM EST? You should probably ignore the above post.

V8_Ninja

I do agree that some of those nominees are odd, but I understand why Conduit 2 and Goldeneye aren't on the "Best Shooter" category.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

SuperMarioFan96

I think it's interesting that Epic Mickey was the only Wii game nominated for Overall Best Game. No Kirby, no Donkey Kong, no Zelda. Just Mickey. I don't know whether this means we weren't giving the game enough credit, or if IGN is just stupid, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Unless IGN is going to add more nominations later. I mean, there were 10 nominations for best shooter but only 4 for best overall game? That doesn't seem right to me.

Wait, no Golden Sun for best DS game? This list is starting to look very messed up....

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

Cia

I think it's understandable that zelda wasn't among the best overall games, since the demo shown in e3 was so constricted.

Cia

citizenerased

Faron wrote:

I think it's understandable that zelda wasn't among the best overall games, since the demo shown in e3 was so constricted.

As opposed to Epic Mickey, which had... no playable demo at all, and a 5 minute presentation in which nothing actually happened.

Edited on by citizenerased

Mario Maker 2 level ID: L93-LYQ-YJF

Percentful

Anyone else notice the fact that there are 10 "best shooters" (compared to 4 or 5 "best ________" in every other category) , and that 3 of the best overall games are shooters? Unsurprisingly, none of the shooters are wii games, despite Goldeneye being one of the highest rated FPS games of all time.
And c'mon, no wii games for best motion control games? Pray tell, how is Kinectimals better than a new Zelda? Way to not be biased, IGN.

Edited on by Percentful

Just let it happen.

3DS Friend Code: 5026-4947-0924 | Nintendo Network ID: Percentful

Magi

Well here's how I vote based on my personal preferences (from the choices presented):
Best Overall Game: Dead Space 2 (maybe one day I'll work up the courage to play the first one)
Best Xbox 360 Game: Dead Space 2
Best PS3 Game: LittleBigPlanet 2
Best Wii Game: Zelda Skyward Sword (I'll give the motion controls the benefit of the doubt)
Best PC Game: Witcher 2
Best DS Game: Okamiden (Like voting for President...I just voted for the least sucky one)
Best PSP Game: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (GoW is a VERY close 2nd)
Best iPhone Game: Apple sucks...I refuse to vote.
Best Action Game: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (never played an AC game. The trailer sold me and the song on the multiplayer trailer was the icing on the cake.)
Best Fighting Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (I don't play fighting games so it was a coin-toss)
Best Motion-Control Game: Dance Central (teach this white boy to dance plz?)
Best Music/Rhythm Game: Dance Central (please?)
Best Platforming Game: Epic Mickey
Best Puzzle Game: Portal 2
Best Racing Game: Gran Turismo 5
Best Role-Playing Game: Fallout: New Vegas (Fable 3 a very close second)
Best Shooter: Gears of War 3
Best Sports Game: seriously? go outside
Best Family Game: Wii Party (but only because that's where the dart landed...ugh)

edit: I agree that there could have been some additional choices in almost all of the categories.

Edited on by Magi

Magi

ejamer

IGN's target market really isn't geared towards Nintendo fans. I mean they really don't view us as a viable market at all, so make no effort to reflect our opinions. Without trying to bash their choices, it's pretty obvious that those nominations are selected to reflect the target market they represent. If NintendoLife created a similar list then it probably would (and should) look quite different.

Oddly, the biggest surprise for me is that Tiger Woods PS3 wasn't in the best motion control list or the best sports game. That game will be AWESOME but doesn't get mentioned at all? Weird.

Edited on by ejamer

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

Kid_A

What a thoroughly convoluted list.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

cheetahman91

Only one game on a Nintendo console was nominated for Overall Game and it's a third party title? I smell some bias.

Also, the amount of shooters on that list is insane.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

SuperMarioFan96

OK, the list is oficially complete and it's just as strange as before. The amount of nominees for overall game moved up to 5, but the only Wii game is still only Epic Mickey. As I said beofre, I'm surprised they chose that over Zelda, Kirby, AND Donkey Kong. Also, there are THIRTEEN nominations for best shooter, yet none are Conduit 2 or Goldeneye. Don't get me wrong, I didn't really like the first Conduit and Goldeneye is a remake... but neither of them was among the top THIRTEEN shooters? I find that strange.

I'll assume the "winners will be announced at 8 PM" is referring to the west coast, because it's 10 PM on the east right now.

My Backloggery

Percentful

cheetahman91 wrote:

I smell some bias.

If you're allergic, you might want to leave IGN, or you might die in the next 5 seconds.

Just let it happen.

kevohki

110percentful wrote:

And c'mon, no wii games for best motion control games? Pray tell, how is Kinectimals better than a new Zelda? Way to not be biased, IGN.

Even if Zelda was in that category instead of Kinectimals (which did look like junk), Child of Eden still would have won. The live demo for CoE was the coolest and most unique surprise at E3 this year.

PSN ID: PhantomSauce
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8814-0225

Percentful

Oh, I doubt that Zelda would have won. It wasn't even close to as cool as CoE (in my opinion at least, for zelda fans, it was probably a bomb of happiness), but it deserved a spot over Kinectimals. My point wasn't that Zelda should have won. My point was that it shows how biased IGN is if they put Kinectimals over a game like Zelda.

Just let it happen.

the_shpydar

Oy, why is anyone surprised by the nature of IGN's videogame coverage at this point?

Please leave the horse alone; he's been beaten enough.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

SuperMarioFan96

Winners are up. Rage won best overall game, but Portal 2 won best 360 game, best PS3 game, and best PC game, beating Rage all three times, so I'm not sure how that worked. Epic Mickey won best Wii game, not surprising since it was the only Wii game they nominated for Overall best. Super Scribblenauts won best DS game (no nomination for Golden Sun DS?!) Epic Mickey also won for best platformer, and NBA Jam won best sports game.

IGN put a lot more effort into last year's awards, writing descriptions for all the games and having a lot more awards. This year was just randomly rushed.....

My Backloggery

zezhyrule

110percentful wrote:

Oh, I doubt that Zelda would have won. It wasn't even close to as cool as CoE (in my opinion at least, for zelda fans, it was probably a bomb of happiness), but it deserved a spot over Kinectimals. My point wasn't that Zelda should have won. My point was that it shows how biased IGN is if they put Kinectimals over a game like Zelda.

You see my avatar and username? All I saw in this was more of the same with some fancy controls. I was expecting "new" and "unlike any Zelda game before", but unless new controls fit that criteria, I'm still waiting.

And there is no point in even arguing about the biased thoughts of IGN. Just let it go, Livers of Nintendo.

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.