Forums

Topic: Have you ever cried watching a cartoon?

Posts 41 to 47 of 47

Sean_Aaron

I've not actually cried, but I do well up during that bit in Toy Story 2 that's been mentioned and the beginning of UP was also quite affecting. A couple of bits in The Incredibles were quite effective as well, being a father and all. Miyazaki's films usually have some good emotional content, though it tends to be more the uplifting variety.

TV, not so much - certainly not that Futurama episode, but that one where Fry finds his lucky clover on what he thinks is his brother's grave is pretty moving.

I've not seen Grave of the Fireflies and I have to admit it's because I think it will be too intense like seeing Shoah (the barber's story is devastating) or Schindler's List, (even if the ending is a bit Hollywood). Ultimately it's the films based upon tragedies grounded in reality, the horrors of our own creation, that I find most affecting because they are sadly things that actually happened. Though I enjoy Law & Order: Special Victims Unit it's sometimes difficult to watch knowing that the crimes depicted are often toned-down from reality. It's easy to forget how savage human beings can be towards each other.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

ejamer

Did anyone see The Brave Little Toaster?

The first time I watched that movie was a rental and I was the only one staying the room to enjoy the movie. Everything seemed normal enough for a cartoon buddy story until this intense part at the end. There was a disaster at the junk yard and Toaster was trying to save his friends from getting crushed and destroyed... but the only way that Toaster could stop the crusher was to throw himself into the spinning gears in one last, desperate attempt to jam the powerful machinery.

At the exact moment Toaster started getting crunched and crushed, something went wrong with the VHS tape that caused the screen to go all black and fuzzy. No sound, no picture, no normal ending to the movie... it was like the whole surreal experience had suddenly died along with the BLT, emphasizing just how complete his sacrifice was without even letting me know his friends would survive. Devastating! I couldn't help it, the tears just came out and I later told my parents that I never wanted to watch that movie again.

About a decade later, I found out that the movie wasn't supposed to end that way. The BLT actually did save his friends and ended up being fixed and reunited with them. But that first viewing remains the most disturbing and saddening TV-related experience from my youth.

Studio Ghibli films are all worth watching, with wonderful characters and stories. Grave of the Fireflies is no exception, and is a wonderful story that should be watched... but once is enough for many people. My wife is torn between wanting to watch it again and not being sure if she can handle the emotional effect. The first time we watched it together, she bawled afterwards (and I wasn't far behind).

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

theblackdragon

@ejamer: hahaha oh man, i think i'd'a never wanted to see The Brave Little Toaster ever again either if it ended like that when he started to get crushed DDDDD:

i remember some parts of that movie freaked me out when i was little, though... like the part in the beginning when the A/C unit explodes. that scared the crap outta me D:

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Adam

What about partly animated films? Space Jam broke my heart.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

KanrakusPizza

Watching the New Disney Channel makes me cry. Hard.

wont be on here anymore

sykotek

The prescreening of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within in DLP. HAHA, no, I'm just joking, I actually liked the movie back then and was totally in denial over the script until it was released on DVD. I cried while watching a VHS subtitled release of Grave of the Fireflies that my cousin bought in the early 90s, I can't remember, I think it was a bootleg.

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.