General Discussion Forum

Topic: Government run Health care! yes or no?

Showing 121 to 140 of 286

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gameking23

121. Posted:

MERG wrote:

@Vendetta..."Better healthcare, cheaper healthcare, and more readily available healthcare will ONLY be provided by private industry."

That seems like an extremely misguided statement. Private industry is the cause of more expensive and worse healthcare. Private industry (insurance companies and drug comanies alike) are for profit businesses. They do not care about doing things better or cheaper....they care about their bottom line. I'm assuming that you have healthcare. Have you ever lost a job and tried to afford healthcare on your own? Have you ever spent time in inner city hospitals and seen the burden placed on them by the amount of un-insured? I'm not saying that a total govenment-run healthcare system is the way to go but what we have now can not go on.

We live in one of the richest countries in the world. The amount of uninsured we have is a disgrace.

Some of the people who do not have health insurance choose to go with out. Plus illegal immigrants have been added to the number of uninsured. At least people right now have the choice whether they want to be insured or not.

Edited on by gameking23

I rule when it comes to games. So deal with it.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Machu

122. Posted:

This is weird. Vendetta you seem like a cool guy, sounds like you've lived a bit too. But, what would you like a sick person on the fringes of poverty to do in a time of need? Sell everything they have for treatment? Get a second mortgage? Or just die in the street?
It SHOULD be a human right, not a transaction. I don't understand. What will you gain from not having this implemented, a few bucks here and there? How is that more important than someone else's health?

Rawr!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gameking23

123. Posted:

Machu wrote:

This is weird. Vendetta you seem like a cool guy, sounds like you've lived a bit too. But, what would you like a sick person on the fringes of poverty to do in a time of need? Sell everything they have for treatment? Get a second mortgage? Or just die in the street?
It SHOULD be a human right, not a transaction. I don't understand. What will you gain from not having this implemented, a few bucks here and there? How is that more important than someone else's health?

What we would save by stopping this is our freedom of choice. Health care is not a right given the constitution so our government sould stay out of our buisness.

I rule when it comes to games. So deal with it.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Reala

124. Posted:

Don't Americans have a right to life, in Europe only the most extreme right wing lunatics would ever propose that we sacrifice peoples lives for keeping taxes lower.

Reala

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Vendetta

125. Posted:

@MERG: "Private industry is the cause of more expensive and worse healthcare." Why, because you say so? Please provide one example of private industry increasing costs and decreasing quality in ANY market. Let me save you the trouble: you can't.

The system needs improving, I agree. Please see my earlier posts for my suggestions on where to begin.

Regarding the number of uninsured, let's do the math, shall we? Everybody now...
~300M in the US
~250M with health insurance coverage
~50M uninsured

Of those ~50M...
~20M illegal aliens
~30M uninsured

Of those ~30M, let's assume 0.00% elective non-coverage, so that every one of those 30M want health care but can't afford it. That's 1 in 10. So........what, are we to overhaul the entire system at the cost of hundreds of billions if not trillions of dollars for 10% of the population? Please. Wake the hell up.

I'm all for exception handling. Raise a bit more tax (if that's even necessary) to cover the outliers and special cases. Solve the actual probem. Don't make a crisis where there isn't one, then try and recreate the whole system using that crisis as an excuse.

Edited on by Vendetta

Ex cineribus resurgo
Wii / Speak / Music: 3991 9961 5576 0184 · · · · Mario Kart Wii: 3609 8999 1445· · · · · · · ·Alien Crush: 1934 4006 9660
The Conduit: 2622 0458 3119· · · · · · · · · · · · · · Water Warfare: 4726 5832 1608· · · · · · · Onslaught: 0388 6842 8268

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Machu

126. Posted:

@gameking23: Oh, and do YOU choose to be involved in various wars around the world, no. Wake up. Freedom of choice for the rich at least, which I find abhorrent!

I'm gonna go play games now, as I find myself discussing healthcare with close-minded Americans whilst on a Nintendo fan-site, something aint right here. I'm gonna ignore serious threads form now on, as they remind me why I dislike forum's. I'll see you in the safe haven that is the 3-word story. Maybe. :(

Rawr!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gameking23

127. Posted:

Blaze wrote:

Don't Americans have a right to life, in Europe only the most extreme right wing lunatics would ever propose that we sacrifice peoples lives for keeping taxes lower.

It is not just taxes it is the freedom of choice. If you can not afford health care in America you can still get it. Sure you might have to go bankrupt, but at least you would be alive. With government run health care there is always rationing thus meaning not everyone can get health care. So much for covering everyone.

I rule when it comes to games. So deal with it.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Vendetta

128. Posted:

Machu wrote:

This is weird. Vendetta you seem like a cool guy, sounds like you've lived a bit too. But, what would you like a sick person on the fringes of poverty to do in a time of need? Sell everything they have for treatment? Get a second mortgage? Or just die in the street?
It SHOULD be a human right, not a transaction. I don't understand. What will you gain from not having this implemented, a few bucks here and there? How is that more important than someone else's health?

Thanks Machu. Like you, I am a cool guy. ;) And yes I've lived quite a bit - enough to know that what's happening in this debate here in the US is a distraction and re-framing of the actual issues.

No one should die needlessly or go without healthcare. I believe that in my generous heart. But the path to that goal does not pass through Washington, D.C. The numbers don't lie. The overwhelming majority of Americans have healthcare. The majority of that majority are highly satisfied with it. The relatively small percentage of the population that don't have or can't afford healthcare can be addressed with exception handling - and I'd be the first to donate (again) when asked.

Edited on by Vendetta

Ex cineribus resurgo
Wii / Speak / Music: 3991 9961 5576 0184 · · · · Mario Kart Wii: 3609 8999 1445· · · · · · · ·Alien Crush: 1934 4006 9660
The Conduit: 2622 0458 3119· · · · · · · · · · · · · · Water Warfare: 4726 5832 1608· · · · · · · Onslaught: 0388 6842 8268

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gameking23

129. Posted:

Machu wrote:

@gameking23: Oh, and do YOU choose to be involved in various wars around the world, no. Wake up. Freedom of choice for the rich at least, which I find abhorrent!

I'm gonna go play games now, as I find myself discussing healthcare with close-minded Americans whilst on a Nintendo fan-site, something aint right here. I'm gonna ignore serious threads form now on, as they remind me why I dislike forum's. I'll see you in the safe haven that is the 3-word story. Maybe. :(

Oh, thank you I did not know I was rich. I do not make allot of money. The reason I am fighting this is based on principle. You obviously do not know how great our system is. Sure it needs improvement if only the government would get out of our way.

I rule when it comes to games. So deal with it.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MERG

130. Posted:

@Gameking23...I can't say there aren't people who choose not to have healthcare but there are millions of uninsured people who didn't make that choice. And you are correct..."Health care is not a right given the constitution"...but it should be.

Bow ties are cool - The Doctor

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Rensch

131. Posted:

Yeah, great system, with hundreds of thoudands if not millions of completely uninsured.

People first, then money. That's why basic health care belongs with the government. I do not know what it is, maybe it's a remnant of the cold war, but many Americans seem to have a strange nervous fear of everything that comes close to government interventions or some kind of mild form of socialism.

Sure, we need to be careful our government doesn't limit our freedom to much. But the American government is FOR THE PEOPLE, FROM THE PEOPLE AND BY THE PEOPLE, remember. Don't forget that. The constitution protects its people. The government is often portraid as a bureaucratic monster or something by the right wing.

Edited on by Rensch

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gameking23

132. Posted:

MERG wrote:

@Gameking23...I can't say there aren't people who choose not to have healthcare but there are millions of uninsured people who didn't make that choice. And you are correct..."Health care is not a right given the constitution"...but it should be.

Why can you not see that socialised medicine cut back on the freedom that American's currently have.

I rule when it comes to games. So deal with it.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MERG

133. Posted:

I have worked in healthcare for over 18 years...I can see how our system does not work.

Bow ties are cool - The Doctor

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gameking23

134. Posted:

MERG wrote:

I have worked in healthcare for over 18 years...I can see how our system does not work.

I'm not saying there is not room for improvement. I'm saying that the proposed plan in the House is not the answer, and that it will only make things worse.

I rule when it comes to games. So deal with it.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Vendetta

135. Posted:

LOL! Are my posts up there are being ignored or just... conveniently missed?

Thanks for what you do, MERG.

Ex cineribus resurgo
Wii / Speak / Music: 3991 9961 5576 0184 · · · · Mario Kart Wii: 3609 8999 1445· · · · · · · ·Alien Crush: 1934 4006 9660
The Conduit: 2622 0458 3119· · · · · · · · · · · · · · Water Warfare: 4726 5832 1608· · · · · · · Onslaught: 0388 6842 8268

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gameking23

136. Posted:

Vendetta wrote:

LOL! Are my posts up there are being ignored or just... conveniently missed?

Thanks for what you do, MERG.

Feeling the same way here.

I rule when it comes to games. So deal with it.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Turbo_Genesis_64

137. Posted:

The problem with all those who voted "No" is that it's safe to say that they thought it would've been a good idea to have had Sarah Palin as Vice President of the United States of America!

o_O

EXPERIENCE MORE.... Arcade-quality graphics, awesome sound, "turbo-charged" game play, exciting TurboChip games... It's the incredible Turbo Genesis 64 Entertainment SuperSystem Experience. There's more fun, more challenge, and more excitment ready for you today!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RJay

138. Posted:

The quality of private schools hasn't decreased because of public schools.

Does Yale have any less standards because each state has public universities? I don't think so.

The same logic should be applied here. Private and public health care can co-exist.

Water Warfare 3481-0499-8502
Super Smash Bros. Brawl 2535-5527-9255

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BMFJOSEPH90

139. Posted:

What does this have to do with gaming?

BMFJOSEPH90

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gameking23

140. Posted:

RJay wrote:

The quality of private schools hasn't decreased because of public schools.

Does Yale have any less standards because each state has public universities? I don't think so.

The same logic should be applied here. Private and public health care can co-exist.

Under the current bill private insurance will eventually be put out of business. Because if you have a policy now you will not be able to renew it and thus be forced into the public option.

I rule when it comes to games. So deal with it.

Sorry, this topic has been locked.