Forums

Topic: 100% completion of games

Posts 1 to 20 of 42

Buizel

Any completionists out there? Partly inspired by the youtube series The Completionist, as well as the realisation that I'm going for 100% a lot myself these days, I've decided to start a thread to discuss 100% completion in games. Are there any games that you've 100% completed yourself? How was the experience — would you recommend it? Are there any you wish to complete in the future? Have you ever given up on 100% completing a game because it was too hard, or too time-consuming?

Personally, I'm really considering 100%ing the entirety of the main Mario series. I've already 100%ed Mario 3D Land (all levels as both Mario and Luigi, all star coins, flagpoles), and recently did New Super Mario Bros 2 (all levels, exits, star/moon coins). I'll probably start of with fairly similar games (NSMBU, Super Mario 3D World, etc.) before moving onto the main 3D games (I heard Sunshine can be a bit of a pain, though I absolutely love the game).

I've also made a habit out of 100%ing the original Spyro trilogy. I have 1 and 2 down (1 wasn't too difficult — a good first 100% for any fan of 3D platformers), but Spyro 3 is looking to be a challenge, based on the sheer variety of gameplay mechanics / minigames squeezed into the game.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Buizel

@pikminfan22: I do find time to be the number one issue...especially since I'm usually one to enjoy many games rather than spend ages on a single one!

Having said that, I usually save 100%ing for game series that I am fairly familiar with, or games that I can easily 100% in my first run-through (e.g. collecting all star coins in Mario).

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

StarBoy91

Far too many to name

To each their own

Yrreiht

There are quite a lot but the one that marked me the most was 100%ing Pokemon HeartGold on DS. I completed the story, completed the whole pokedex, finished the battle frontier and won 1st place in every minigame in the Pokeathlon.
Took me well over 100 hours but I think it was worth the experience.

Revenge is better with chili sauce... everything is better with chili sauce.

3DS Friend Code: 5069-4008-9404 | Nintendo Network ID: Tynerds37

Buizel

Yrreiht wrote:

There are quite a lot but the one that marked me the most was 100%ing Pokemon HeartGold on DS. I completed the story, completed the whole pokedex, finished the battle frontier and won 1st place in every minigame in the Pokeathlon.
Took me well over 100 hours but I think it was worth the experience.

Surprised that didn't take you several hundred hours to be honest! I've completed the Pokedex in XY (worth it!) but not yet done everything (for example, I've not even got all mega stones or finished Looker's missions) and I'm at something like 400 hours. Personally I've never attempted completing everything in a Pokemon game, which is strange considering Pokemon is my absolute favourite game series...

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Rixor13

depending on the criteria, i usually try to do so in every game i play (with some exceptions like getting a/s ranks in sonic games or completing the reigonal dex in any pokemon game [mainly because of all the inactive event pokemon.]) but i don't think a video game is played correctly if not seen to the fullest. kirby games being a big offender of this. i litterally feel like gagging whenever i see a save file of any kirby game (that's not an any% speedrun) that isn't 100% or has missed some spheres/treasures/stones/ect.. one of the main reasons why i have been avoiding the game grumps' kirby let's plays.

Edited on by Rixor13

Is this a joke? Are you having a chuckle? Haha, very funny. I'm the one with a degree

Avatar credit to Undertale and Toby fox.

3DS Friend Code: 1951-0757-8693 | Nintendo Network ID: rixor11

Octane

It really depends on the game. Mario games are quite easy to 100%, so are Zelda games. Although I have never completed the figurine quest in Wind Waker for example, I got all the items, pieces of heart and even treasure charts, but the figurine quest just ruins the fun for me. I try to 100% games, but when it's either ridiculously difficult, or just plain boring, I often don't care.

Octane

bezerker99

With my Backloggery serving as a reference, here's a list of some of the games I've 100%'d....

Metroid 8/8 E-Tanks collected. 21/21 Missile Expansions collected. Got the real ending.
The Legend of Zelda No-Sword Run completed.
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link 100% complete. All stats maxed out.
StarTropics 100% completed.
Mario's Picross All puzzles solved. Best Time Trial Completion: 14:38
Picross e Easy Mode [15/15]. Normal Mode [60/60]. Free Mode [60/60]. Extra [15/15]
Mighty Switch Force! All levels completed under par time.
Bit.Trip.Runner 36/36 Perfects achieved.
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker 64/64 Pixel Toads found. All 50 levels of Mummy-Me Maze Forever completed.
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D 200% completed in Wii (original) Mode.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze 200% completion.
Super Mario 64 120/120 Stars collected.
New Super Luigi U 246 Star Coins collected. 94 Exits found. 100% Completion, without using Nabbit!
New Super Mario Bros. 2 Five Shiny Star File. Coin Counter maxed out at 9,999,999.
Super Mario 3D World Five Shiny Star File.
Super Mario Galaxy [121] Stars collected as Mario, [121] Stars collected as Luigi.
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! Gold starred every level.
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move Perfects on all levels. 230/230★s.
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong All levels completed. 90/90 Stars.
Donkey Kong '94 100%. All 3 items collected in each stage.
Wrecking Crew All 100 Phases completed.
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Completed all missions and stuff on the side
Guacamelee! [101%] Hard Mode completed. 6/6 Orbs. Got the Alternate Ending. Dashing Derp Derp ftw~ [Platinum Trophy received]
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition [100%] Hard Mode completed. 17/17 Gold Medals in El Infierno. 7/7 Orbs. Got the Happy Ending~
NES Remix Rainbow'd every level. 100/100 Stamps. 612/612★
Ghosts n' Goblins Arcade version. [Easy, Normal, Hard, Super Hard] completed. Two playthru's on each mode.

BLEH.

Edited on by bezerker99

Mario_1985

The last game I 100% completed was Super Mario 3D world , It was a lot of fun. However I did find having to do each level with every character a bit monotonous. (Although you can do each level, with more than one character, in one go).

I don't try to 100% complete every game, the games I tend to 100% are the ones I find really fun.

Edited on by Mario_1985

Mario_1985

Socar

Didn't we have a thread like this before?

Anyways, It really depends on the game itself. Me personally, I 100% platform games simply because that's the second half of enjoyment to them as well as Puzzle games. If its something like Star Fox 64, then I want to take my own time to finish it.

@Mario_1985: Same here.

Edited on by Socar

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Eel

I 100%ed Hello Flowerz on the DSi and the PSP.

A real achievement, I know.

Other lesser examples I can think of are Majoras Mask, Paper Mario and Viva Piñata Pocket Paradise.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Xyphon22

I'm trying to 100% every Zelda in timeline order. I've done the first three (Skyward Sword, Minish Cap, Four Swords), but then I got to the point in Ocarina of Time where I am able to just go beat Ganon and beat the game but I still have random stuff to go do to 100% it (some heart pieces, poes, Gold Skulltulas, etc.) and stopped playing because that got boring. I haven't touched it in months. I really should get back to that.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Sample_Text

I've done NSMB 1, Wii, and 2, SMG 1 and 2, SM3D Land and World (minus beating every level with EVERY character), Mini Land Mayhem, KSSUltra (Minus beating the one mode where you play as the companion/whatever they are called with every one of them), Rayman Origins and Legends, and Kirby's Adventure.

Almost Done:
SM64DS (gave up on getting 100 coins in Big Small World and Rainbow Cruise)
Star Fox 64 3D (did all the stages, but not every type of stage ending)

I only stop playing a video game when I feel I can no longer enjoy it. Otherwise, I do not consider myself "done" woth it.

Not much to say here. I like Nintendo. That's about it.

Late

Not sure what was the latest game I completed but currently I'm working on Bit Trip Runner 2 and Pokémon Red, Blue, Gold and Silver. I haven't played Pokémon for couple of months now and just started playing Runner 2 again. I'm currently playing on Easy mode 80/100 Perfect+ without using checkpoints (can't make it too easy). After I'm done with Easy, I'll start Hard mode.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

crimsontadpoles

I'll usually try to 100% most games I play, but only if I really enjoy the game and it's actually possible for me to do. It's been too long for me to remember the last game I got 100% on. Currently working on Etrian Odyssey Untold and I'm in the postgame now, but there's still some tricky enemies and items left to do.

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

Buizel

Morpheel wrote:

bezerker99 wrote:

Artwark wrote:

Didn't we have a thread like this before?

Here, perhaps??? (We are missing Tasuki already)

That's over a year old, so I guess it's ok.

Ah sorry about that — I did have a search, but didn't see it. I'm quite new here so I'm not sure what's regarded as better though — to start a new thread or revive an old one?

Not surprised to see a lot of Mario completionists here. Actually, I didn't realise completing 3D World with all characters was a thing...puts me off a little bit sadly.

Are there any platformers besides Mario that people would recommend for a 100%?

At least 2'8".

bezerker99

Buizel wrote:

Are there any platformers besides Mario that people would recommend for a 100%?

Donkey Kong Country Returns. Such a terrific platforming experience. Whether you play on Wii or 3DS, that's a matter of preference. :3

Mario_1985

Buizel wrote:

Ah I didn't realise completing 3D World with all characters was a thing...puts me off a little bit sadly

If it's any use-without giving too much away. If you have 3 or more controllers, it's possible to complete most, if not every level with all the characters; in two goes. (Even if your playing on your own). Also the characters play differently, e.g it's a lot easier jump about with Peach as she floats around.

Edited on by Mario_1985

Mario_1985

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.