Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 941 to 960 of 3,146

NintendoPete

finished Wonderyboy - A dragon's trap. Great game - started and finished it yesterday. It took me 4.56 h to beat. Now I want to find the last 4 gem stones to buy the last sword. I like to switch between hand-drawn animation and 8-Bit style. Does anybody know if Monsterboy will have this feature?

I can only recommend this game. I bought it during the last sale and used some gold coins because otherwise they would have expired. So I spent only 8.40 €. But it is worth its 20€ price point, if you ask me. The older games are faster to beat and still, we paid full price when they came out

NintendoPete

Cynas

Got the true ending in Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology a couple days ago.

Overall it was a great game. Having voice acting in a game is a huge bonus for me and this game was almost entirely voice acted. The combat was simple but fun, although the battles took a bit longer than I'd like for turn based RPGs especially since once an enemy dies people will continue to attack it instead of moving to the next enemy. Sometimes when I'm grinding levels on weak enemies I like to just spam the A button.

The story was extremely well written. The dialogue all felt natural. The time travel mechanic kept things pretty interesting but you really have to play this game all at once instead of short bursts. I took about a 3 week break from it at one point and when I got back into the game I completely forgot what happened in what timeline.

I did have a couple minor issues with the time travel mechanics. I wish you could travel to any node and not just certain ones, that way when you want to get to a certain point in the story to complete a sidequest you don't have to fight bosses all over again. This only happened a couple times since with most quests you could travel directly to the correct node, but backtracking got a bit annoying when trying to do the sidequests. Also, trying to figure out where a node will take you was slightly annoying at first. There's no fast travel mechanic so sometimes you have to guess which node to go to if you're trying to get to a certain location.

Took me about 21 hours to get the normal ending and 42 hours for the true ending and beat all the games quests/DLC quests.
I'd highly recommend it to anyone wanting to play a traditional JRPG.

My next goal is to beat The Alliance Alive. Enjoying it so far, although compared to Radiant Historia the dialogue can feel a bit amateurish and the lack of any voice acting is a bit of a let down.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Tyranexx

@Ralizah: I definitely agree on the camera. I enjoyed Lakitu as the camera, but dang is he hard to maneuver. I became somewhat used to it eventually, but there were still times when I just couldn't quite get him to sit at the angle I wanted. As for the rest of the controls, I didn't have as many problems; they became somewhat intuitive with my pro controller. It has made me realize that maybe I give the DS iteration too much grief over its own controls, but that still doesn't excuse the other issues I have with it.

I completely missed out on that console generation, so I'm playing catch-up on games like Super Mario 64. Nostalgia definitely isn't at play in my book. It's funny that you mention the character models of that time period; a recent video that I watched (the one in my sig actually) makes fun of that and some other RPG tropes.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Dogorilla

Just finished Splasher. Judging by the number of people on the online leaderboards it doesn't seem like many people bought it, which is a massive shame because it's an extremely fun game. It's a 2D platformer where you can shoot sticky red ink and bouncy yellow ink, and use them in tandem with each other to get through the levels. It's really satisfying to control and the movement is very fluid (which is appropriate given the subject matter). It's a little bit short but it's one of the best platformers I've played in recent years.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Ralizah

Completed Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure on 3DS. Very 'blah' game, aside from the great animated cutscenes. SEGA was trying to make a rhythm game equivalent of Professor Layton and clearly failed. Very little development for the characters, the main plot is disappointing, the ending clears up almost nothing, and, for some reason, I had a much harder time getting into the rhythm of the various mini-games on display (although I did like the violin ones).

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

gcunit

@Dogorilla Splasher is on my wishlist, but I'm waiting for a sale. Pleased to hear you rate it.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Tyranexx

I finished Chrono Trigger on the DS recently. It's definitely one of the best RPGs I've played. I liked the story, loved the characters, really enjoyed the combat mechanics, and the art style has held up well over time.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Anti-Matter

Phew. Just now i finished LEGO City Undercover Switch version.
Well, two times i finished that game (Wii U first, Switch just now). Time for wandering around to collect remaining Red Bricks, Disguise costumes and Golden bricks... with Six pack body.

Anti-Matter

Vinny

Super Mario 64 DS: I was kinda stuck on this one's last boss for years! I wasn't very good at making Bowser hit the exposives, I guess... And I didn't notice there was a 1-up behind a pillar that you can get everytime you respawn on that checkpoint. Yeah.

On the game itself, it's a remake of the N64 original with 3 more playable characters.

Wario, which is pretty much the worst of all them. Slow, has a low jump but is able to break certain blocks
Yoshi, which can spit enemies and flutter jump.
Luigi, which jumps higher and has a spinning backflip. Said backflip can reach really high heights and clear many areas easily, making it somewhat overpowered.

My 13 year old DS fanboy self would fight me if he heard that, but 3D DS games didn't age well at all. There are some upgrades in comparison to the original such as the character models (Bowser actually looks like Bowser this time!), but the graphics look really blocky, jaggy and murky. I'd say the original looks better on the eyes even with the extra blurriness, but not everyone would agree.

I always found the controls super slippery, but on the DS you can only move on 8 directions (even on a 3DS with the slider pad), which worsens it. Don't know if you guys remember, but Nintendo once made a thumb strap to be used on the touchscreen as an analog (wat).

But yeah, 64 DS has new stars and playable characters but to me it feels like a kind of a "sidegrade". If you haven't played SM64 yet, I would recommend the original version over this one.

Also, It's a really nice feeling to finally beat a game you were stuck on for years! I beat Crash: Wrath of Cortex, after not playing it since 2016 at the start of this year.

Edited on by Vinny

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

redd214

Tropical Freeze, still going to go back and get as many puzzle pieces as I can. Great game, super fun and challenging!

redd214

gcunit

@redd214 I just beat DKC:TF this morning too

I don't rate it quite so high though, and I probably preferred Yoshi's Woolly World. I'm really undecided as to whether I'll go back to get all the KONG letters to unlock the extra levels. I think I've got them all on about 60% of the levels already, so maybe, but I just didn't find enough fun in the game. To me, Donkey Kong's potential as a character seems a bit underused - he could have great personality and action mechanics, but the game didn't ever really explore that side of things - just the same few moves. All you get in terms of personality is the chest beating at the start of a level and a few other small bits when you achieve something. So much more could be done with DK I feel.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NintendoPete

just beat Blaster Master ZERO with the last character. Now I've completed the game 5 times. Still great. Ekoro was one of the most difficult characters while Shantae the easiest. It took me approx. 5 h for each character.

NintendoPete

redd214

@gcunit never had a wii u so u can't compare to Wooly world but I am excited for the new Yoshi game! As far DK as a character, not something I noticed or even care about really. I mean it's a 2d platformer so level design, controls and the feel of it trumps how much personality the avatars have. In those regards I think it was top notch. Congrats on beating it though!

redd214

NintendoPete

Played through Gremlins 2 on the NES, yesterday.

NintendoPete

Iconorobin

Well... I beat Owlboy last weak and it was superb!

It's one of my favorite indie games ever, just behind Iconoclasts and Celeste.
While the gameplay is nothing mindblowing, it keeps it interesting by changing things up with great set pieces. The pixelart is amazing - as is the soundtrack - and the characters and story were very good. I especially loved Otus, the protagonist. I really cared for him, which is rare in video games.

10/10

Iconorobin

mowerdude

Just bet Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes on GCN, Uncharted 2 from The Nathan Drake Collection on Ps4. Now I am going to be going through a few Ps4 games that I just picked up on sale for real Cheap like Darksiders 1 for only $1.99 and Darksiders 2 for $2.99, also got The Disney Afternoon Collection for only $5.99.

mowerdude

Ralizah

@Iconorobin The pixel art, from what I've seen, really is amazing. It's an incredible looking game.

I'm concerned about the conflicting reports I've heard about the gameplay, though. It sounds like the narrative and story are more the focus in this game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Iconorobin

@Ralizah
I've read some negative reports as well and I can honestly say the gameplay was perfectly fine for me.
Nothing about it stands out, but everything from the controls to level design was good.
But yes the story, characters and underlying themes are definitely the focus of this adventure.

Edited on by Iconorobin

Iconorobin

Tiefseemiez

@Ralizah
I'd say it is split up pretty equal.
The gameplay was diverse and challenging in the right way. The story did not take a backseat either.
It might not be the most complex and deep story ever, but it has a nice message and an interesting setting.
Also it manages to skip between comical/absurd and more sinister/relatable tones pretty well and has a couple of nice twists.

Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground.

Ralizah

@Iconorobin @Tiefseemiez

Alright, thanks for your insights!

I'll add it to my list of games to pick up on sale, alongside Celeste and Tiny Metal.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic