Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 921 to 940 of 3,146

GeeEmm

Finished FEW the other day. It unlocked Lunatic difficulty but im gonna wait before attempting that.

GeeEmm

Tiefseemiez

Owlboy

This is one of the greatest games I played and especially of the indies.
The game has an amazing drive to it. Gameplay mechanics change up all the time and in many surprising ways. That and the continuous development of the story keep you on your toes all the time. The difficulty was perfect in my eyes. I hardly play shooters and I suck at platformers, but somehow even those passages that frustrated me never last too long and there are not many of them at all anyways (though in the end you cannot fly for some time and you really have to hop from platform to platform, which infuriated me quite a bit ).
Also I found myself having constant heart-beating in the "levels" (it is open world, but the areas where the action takes place is usually in some sort of enclosed location).
This also goes for boss fights, which usually happen suddenly and are pretty varied.
The story is interesting and the ending is satisfying. It manages to surprise you a couple of times (generally this game surprised me all the time regarding gameplay or story).
It is not overly deep, but it strikes the right chords and has some relatable philosophy underlying. Same goes for the characters.
Graphics were pretty to me. I generally do not love retro graphics particularly, but this is more a SNES- or GBA-style of graphics and I think it has some beautiful sceneries and great atmosphere.
The music is also amazing and apparently fully orchestrated and contributes in a big way to the atmosphere and the heart-beating. Often times it is completely quiet, but then it blows you away, always adapting the momentum of gameplay.

I must say: After I finished "A Night in the Woods" I thought "Wow, this is one of the greatest games I played for some time!". Now I have to say the same thing about this one, though for completely different reasons. Play those games!

Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground.

Burning_Spear

The original Yoshi's Island at 100 percent with all the bonus levels. For a mediocre gamer like me, that wasn't an easy task.

Mechabot Ultror Fights Again

Burning_Spear

Vinny wrote:

Last year I've played Pilotwing Resort and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it ...

Yeah that game got a little bit of an unfair shake because of its price and because it was part of a launch lineup that lacked a triple-A franchise. I thought it was a lot of fun and spent a lot of time trying to get the perfect scores for each level.

Mechabot Ultror Fights Again

Vinny

Burning_Spear wrote:

Vinny wrote:

Last year I've played Pilotwing Resort and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it ...

Yeah that game got a little bit of an unfair shake because of its price and because it was part of a launch lineup that lacked a triple-A franchise. I thought it was a lot of fun and spent a lot of time trying to get the perfect scores for each level.

I think there was just a mission I didn't complete. I love the game's music and feel, it's so relaxing and unique. I never used the 3D feature much on my 3DS but in Resort it fits the game very well, the scenery just pops out.
I think it's one of those overlooked games people should definitely check out

Edited on by Vinny

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

gcunit

Vinny wrote:

Burning_Spear wrote:

Vinny wrote:

I think there was just a mission I didn't complete. I love the game's music and feel, it's so relaxing and unique. I never used the 3D feature much on my 3DS but in Resort it fits the game very well, the scenery just pops out.

I too was playing PWR this week. It's been ages since I first tried it so I'd forgotten the finer details of how to land the hanglider. 3 starring levels is enough for me, chasing a perfect score would drive me nuts for now.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Maxz

I finally got around to 100%ing Odyssey. It's a nice game, with a lot of great ideas. Compared to some of the other 'Ultimate' levels in last 3D Marios, I can't say I was a huge fan on the final challenge. After completing Celeste, it felt like it could have taken a few lessons in how to ramp up difficulty without ramping up irritation levels. A couple of things Celeste does really well is putting you immediately back into the action and making the challenges sharp and lean enough that you can quickly put what you learned from your last death into practice; there's very little fat to trim.

Long Journey's End on the other hand features several sections where the maximum speed is dictated by the level, meaning you have to wait a decent chunk of time to get back to your last point and try again. It also features a number of quite irritating enemy types such as the colourful spikey things which behave in an awkward manner. The later levels of Celeste are a lot more brutal in terms sheer challenge, yet feel less 'punishing' because they phrase death as a stepping stone to success, rather than pushing you straight into the river and asking you to spend 15 minutes swimming back to the same point.

Anyway, it's still a great game and I generally enjoyed polishing off the final moons, even if it was only made possible by a bunch of amiibo festival cards I bought to use Uncle amiibo. And Jump Up Superstar is still a great track.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Tibob

gcunit wrote:

Vinny wrote:

Burning_Spear wrote:

Vinny wrote:

I too was playing PWR this week. It's been ages since I first tried it so I'd forgotten the finer details of how to land the hanglider. 3 starring levels is enough for me, chasing a perfect score would drive me nuts for now.

Same here ! Resort was one of my favourite games on 3DS, along with Mario Golf.

Pilotwings is a sadly forgotten franchise.

Tibob

Scrummer

I got Golf Story around the launch date, but I just beat it fairly recently. It was a great time, I had a lot of fun. One of my top games of 2017 for sure.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

Eagle9

M&L Superstar Saga + Bowser Minions
Monster Hunter Story
Both very great RPG's.

It all started from Game&Watch.

3DS Friend Code 5455 9594 9430.
Switch Friend Code 7313-1538-3028.

AnVold

Tokyo Xanadu on true ending in this Monday. Good game from Falcom, but Ys VIII is much better as action RPG.

GOIDA!
I hear ZOV.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1060-2447-4147 | 3DS Friend Code: 1092-0244-9690 | My Nintendo: Sunstrider

Tyranexx

I finished Super Mario 64 a couple of nights ago. It was definitely a fun game once I adapted to the controls (the camera was still a bit weird at times though); I still found it better than any control scheme for the DS remake. Most of the levels were neat and innovative, Peach's castle was fun to explore, and the power-ups were definitely fun and useful. Besides the controls, my only other complaint is that the floors/ground in this game must have been coated in butter, but maybe I just need to "get gud".

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Vinny

MGS2 HD Edition (PS Vita).

I'm not good at stealth games, but I love the boss fights and the story in this series. MGS2 has some of the best themes in the series, and it feels very relevant for the age we live in.

The Vita port runs very smoothly, though there are some areas where the FPS drops, mainly in the bridges connecting the nodes of the Big Shell.
You can change itens using the touchscreen, which is really handy. You can also zoom anywhere in the cutscenes by holding the screen in the area you want to zoom in which is a very amusing feature.
There are some extras like Snake Tales and VR Missions but I haven't tried those yet.

Also, "Can't say goodbye to yesterday" is an amazing song.

Edited on by Vinny

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

Ralizah

@Tyranexx Oh god, Mario feels like he's slathered in vaseline. It's miserable.

I will acknowledge its historical significance, but I'll never enjoy it. The N64 version, at least. I'd like to try out the DS remake someday.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Vinny

I was never a big fan of 64 DS. I'd even say I prefer the blurriness of the original rather than the blockiness of DS

Tyranexx

@Ralizah: So it wasn't my imagination then. XD It's definitely one of the better games I've played, and likewise I do acknowledge its historical significance, but at the end of the day I don't think it has aged too well. To be fair, part of the problem is the odd controller that it was originally designed for.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Ralizah

@Tyranexx It's definitely not just you. I've found Mario easy to control in every subsequent 3D game, but for some reason, I feel like I'm never in full control of his movements in 64. Oh, and I realize it's one of the earliest examples of a 3D camera, but it's still miserable to control today. SO unresponsive.

I imagine I'd have more love for the game had I played it when it first came out, but I was almost exclusively on the Playstation that gen. I was "ooo"ing and "aaa"ing at the breathtaking beauty of FFVII (which is funny today, because, if you go back and play it, the in-game character models were super-primitive and looked like horrifying lego people; only the FMV's and pre-rendered backgrounds still hold up in any way). Even seeing its limitations today, I can't help but feel a sense of warm familiarity when I play it, and I imagine that's how it feels for an entire generation of Nintendo gamers who grew up with Mario 64.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TheTetrisGuy

I just recently got to the end of Super Mario Odyssey More specifically, the Darker Side. After finishing that, I’m not sure if I want to complete this game. I still need over 300 Power Moons, plus the grind to 999 Moons. At the very least, I think I’m taking a break from Mario for a while. I’ve had a blast the last two weeks getting to this point, but I don’t want to get burnt out on such an amazing game.

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Fortnite.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

ThomasOfTheTiels

RR529 wrote:

Just finished up Kirby & the Amazing Mirror for the first time!

Positives:

• It's pretty much "Metroid-Kirby", which is actually pretty awesome once you get used to it. They really adapted that style of gameplay to Kirby quite well. Now, you don't acquire upgrades to solve puzzles & defeat enemies like in Metroid, rather whenever you come across an obstacle, you think about whether there were any enemies in nearby rooms that could give you an ability suited to it. This works in it's favor quite well too, as it allows it to be more open than more recent Metroid games. Like any good "Metroidvania", there's still plenty of things to look out for though (instead of being key to progression, the items you find here are mostly optional stuff, like spraycans that you can use to change Kirby's color, Sound Test music sheets, and optional health upgrades).
  • This is like one of the most non-linear games I've played in a long time, if ever (remember, this is a freakin' Kirby game!). While the 9 "Areas" are numbered, and the difficulty is higher in the higher numbered areas, you're free to explore & complete them in any order you wish.
  • It's actually a tad more difficult than the average Kirby game, which is nice. It isn't at Mega Man or DKC levels of difficulty of course, but the bump in challenge is noticeable compared to other entries.
  • There's a nice mix of new & returning bosses (the boss of Area 5 is my personal favorite).
  • While the connected world may not meld together as organically as Super Metroid's does, the world on offer here is still colorful as you'd expect, and all the tropes are present (grasslands, haunted mansion, caves, mountain/fire, castle, water, ice/snow, ruins, and sky/space).

Negatives:

• Unfortunately, maps are seen as an optional item here (a big no-no as far as "Metroidvanias" go, IMO), and all the area maps are hidden away as optional items to find & collect, some hidden behind some devious puzzles. To compound this further, while rooms you explore are highlighted even before finding the official map, it's very barebones & not much help. While not a deal breaker, this did noticeably damper the experience for me.
  • It's a bit on the backtracky side. This should come to no surprise given the genre, but I feel it's a little more prevalent here than in other examples of the genre, and the map issues make it slightly more irritating as well.

Same here, along with Squeak Squad and Mass Attack. I agree with all your points here, but I'm surprised you didn't add the fact that the AI Kirbies are dumber than half a brick combined. I just cheated in all the maps.

You like compost?
I'll compost YOUR FACE!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic