Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 861 to 880 of 3,148

Ralizah

@matiasu Not to mention how the game starts hard and gets easier as it goes on. Or the terrible balancing on the smirk mechanic. Or the disappointing dungeons.

Other than the lack of atmosphere, IV: Apocalypse is everything I want in an SMT game.

Agriculture wrote:

I always accidentally drop the rock back on the Korok dudes so they go "uughh".

"Accidentally," huh?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Tyranexx

I recently reached the end credits of the first Yo-Kai Watch. Overall I thought it was a charming game, with a whimsical plot with some fairly decent writing, some pretty interesting (and sometimes deep) side quests, a wonderful 3D effect, and some interesting Yo-Kai. Their designs ranged from pretty cool to silly to just plain weird.

Two things did drag the title down a little in my eyes. I wasn't too horribly fond of the battle system, but it did grow on me. That said, there's definitely room for improvement. I also didn't like how random Yo-Kai recruitment can be, but supposedly this has been improved in the later titles.

I played the game to the end credits and went on and did some side quests after that. I raised my watch to Rank S and recruited a few more Yo-Kai before deciding to put the game down. I could continue playing, but I want to move on at this point.

I did find this enjoyable enough that I'm considering picking up Psychic Specters in the future.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

darkfenrir

I just finished Ori and the Blind Forest after leaving it long, long time ago. Like a few months.

Finished the whole last three mazes (with a lot of DANGIT I FORGOT THAT I CAN DO CHARGED JUMP), AND THE END CREDITS HURT MY SOUL SOMETHING FIERCE.

I cried so much at the end and it just huuuuuuurts. ;_; At least the final scene at credits give hope but still. My heart is abused in this game.

darkfenrir

Magic1636

Well when I had given my PS3 away a few years ago I had gotten rid of GTA: V without beating it. So about 2 or 3 months ago I had purchased the game for Xbox One and finally beat it.

Magic1636

Switch Friend Code: SW-7296-5752-0023

kkslider5552000

I almost forgot. I beat Asura's Wrath (at least the normal ending anyway) a couple of days ago. Good, solid, kinda unique game that I don't really need to replay ever. Glad I got it, somewhat glad I didn't buy it at full price.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

cheetahman91

Danaganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair for the PC. Very good game, my only major complaint is that it used too many songs from the first game.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

JohnBlackstar

Just finished Lego Hobbit for 3DS. Nearly three years after purchasing it I can lay this one to rest. I enjoyed it more than I thought. I might return to it so I can beat the Gold Time quests, but those are currently stumping me.

JohnBlackstar

detectivedan

i beat samus return of metroid about a month ago and recently beat sonic generations 3ds

detectivedan

Ralizah

Oxenfree: Got this for free on GOG recently, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. It's a reasonably fun adventure game. You play as a teenage girl named Alex who visits an abandoned island with a group of friends and get dragged into a supernatural mystery. The gameplay is fairly basic: your character walks around the island, interacts with objects on occasion, and uses a radio to interact with her environment at key points in the game. There's very little emphasis on problem solving, though. The game is driven almost entirely by conversations that you're frequently prompted to participate in. These dialogue options will also frequently affect certain key outcomes of the story. In this way, it reminds me of both modern Naughty Dog games (the game is like one big interactive cutscene, but control is almost never ripped away from the player entirely) and Telltale adventure games (you're frequently prompted to make certain choices, but they don't seem to affect the overall course of the plot until the denoument). So don't play this with the expectation of enjoying it on a gameplay level. This is all about the plot, characters, and dialogue.

And how does the game fare in this regard? I mostly liked it. It's sort of like a coming-of-age story crossed with an episode of the X-Files. I thought most of the characters were fairly well-developed, although the dialogue isn't great for certain characters (I don't think any human talks like Ren does, and it took me out of the moment whenever he opened his annoying mouth). Even given its very short length, the game digs into the painful histories of these characters, and I really liked how well I came to understand the way their lives were interconnected by the end of the game.

The game seems imminently replayable, what with its various outcomes to influence and collectibles to find, but I feel like the game is too leisurely paced for me to want to do that any time soon. There is a LOT of walking and talking in this game, with little else going on. Even though I mostly enjoyed my time with the game, it's really not something I'd go out of my way to re-experience.

The music and art are both pretty good. There are some creepy and evocative locations to explore, and the art style is interesting, with the characters looking like they stepped out of an American cartoon series.

The game's best feature, by far, is its' voice acting. Every line of dialogue seems to be voiced, and the actors do a great job in their roles.

I think it's probably worth the buy at the sale price on Switch, and is definitely worth checking out if you got it for free on PC like I did.

Edited on by Ralizah

darkfenrir

OneShot. This game hits me hard, poor, poor Niko... I tried this game because my friend said it's really meta kind of game, akin the DokiDoki Literature Club meta, but... not Horror. And so I tried it, to go on the journey to save the land with the Sun in my grasp...

No one knew that it started the journey. It's a very great journey. I feel so much for the characters. I love them, I care for them, I cherish them... I even be honest with Niko. Everything. Always.

In the end... it hurts ;_; I'll just... stay away from the game for now. I'll leave it in my laptop though, just... for the future.

(If any of you want a meta, tearjerker goodness, this game is really something to try, it's a really unique game!)

darkfenrir

DuskformLycanroc

Finished Lady Layton mystery journey last night. Was surprised and pleased that the ending post credits wasn't something I knew about already from the internet. Not often something like that is kept spoiler free if you look hard enough.

Still prefer the grandiose of professor Layton games but it was still charming and made me smile.

3DS FC 5387-0811-6168

detectivedan

hmm well i don't own any home console other than a n64 so i am not really inclined to give any home console game a chance as i have a 3ds and it is portable so no reason to try outside of it.

detectivedan

ianl579

Just finished Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice on 3DS. Man, what a phenomenal game! Even though it's the longest in the series (over 30 hours vs 15-20 for other games), Spirit of Justice is the best AA game in years, second only to Trials and Tribulations. I highly recommend the series if you are into visual novels. (But make sure to start with the original Trilogy available on 3DS or mobile!)

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

Anti-Matter

Finally, just finished Super Mario Odyssey.
First game that i inserted on Nintendo Switch, first game that Finished.
It just took 2 weeks to finish.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Harmonie

I finished the main quest of Super Mario Odyssey earlier today.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Tyranexx

Steamworld Dig (3DS) - I deserve to be slapped for not downloading and playing this game sooner. I had a really hard time putting it down. The mining, exploration, upgrades, some puzzle elements...all of it was addicting. My only minor complaint (and not one you'll hear from me often due to my busy schedule) was that it felt a little too short.

Guess who will be picking up its successor on the Switch?

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Ralizah

Mighty Gunvolt Burst: Fun game with Mega Man-esque gameplay and an interesting weapon customization system. I guess my only problem with it is that it feels like it's way too easy to break the game with weapon customization. This is completely optional, but still. Also, while fun, there weren't any particularly memorable stages or bosses. It was just a solid Mega Man alternative, which is honestly enough for me. The final boss was more than a bit annoying, though. Well worth the $7 I spent on it.

GoNNER: FINALLY beat this game. I've continually been dying soon after reaching the last world until tonight, but I finally managed to beat the final boss (which was more than a bit anti-climactic: for some reason, he's comically easy to kill with this one particular gun I've been using. I ran into him and, no exaggeration, he was dead five seconds later). The funnest part is that I played another round immediately after having seen the end credits and got to the last boss again (although I died since I was using a different gun). Overall, though, this was a really fantastic game. It's short, but brutally difficult. Every run starts you from the beginning, but you can unlock different equipment that allows you to customize your loadout at the beginning, allowing for radically different play-styles. The aesthetic is another stand-out part of the experience, and it's really something the way the procedurally generated levels literally construct themselves in front of you as you're passing through them. Probably the best indie game I've played on the Switch so far (Stardew is fun, but I kind of lost interest after twenty hours, whereas this game has occupied my attention for weeks).

@Tyranexx It sounds fun, but I've been avoiding it so as not to burn myself out on the whole Metroidvania thing, having played Samus Returns and The Mummy Demastered recently. Still, I might pick it up the next time it goes on sale.

Edited on by Ralizah

Tyranexx

Golden Sun (Wii U VC) - This turned out to be a very fun RPG. The characters were likeable, the story was enjoyably decent (if not slightly wordy at times), and the battle system was fun. Djinn added an interesting element to the game and were fun to experiment with/use. The art style wasn't mind-blowing, but pretty excellent for when it came out and what system it was on.

I thought about launching into Golden Sun: The Lost Age after beating this one, but I've decided to wait a little while.

kkslider5552000

I beat Star Fox 2 in like 40 minutes. XD

It was maybe for the best for 1996 gamers that they didn't spend all their hard-earned cash on this. I knew a lot about it, but as someone who grew up with 64, and also actually liked Command and Zero, this game is bizarre. In the span of two decades, they put all these ideas in three different games.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic