Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 801 to 820 of 3,148

GrailUK

Forma.8 100%. (for the second ending) This game needs to be in everyone's library. It's a gem
Next game up is Thimbleweed Park.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

RR529

Metroid: Samus Returns awhile ago.

Pros:

• Free Aim, Teleport Stations, and the Melee Counter are all fantastic additions that should be staples of 2D Metroid from here on out.
  • While it may not be as memorable as other Metroids in the boss department, the Metroid encounters are infinitely improved beyond the Metroid II originals, and there's a couple suprises.
  • That baby Metroid is just too cute, and I love how it helps you explore & assists in fighting Ridley, not to mention how it floats around Samus' cockpit on the main menu after the fact.
  • Gets the formula right, and is as solid as you can expect from Metroid.

Cons:

• SR388 wasn't a particularly interesting place to explore. Don't get me wrong, the attention to detail in the backgrounds is fabulous, but there's really no biome consistency, outside of maybe Areas 7 & 8. The areas aren't given any interesting names (just Area 1, Area 2, etc.), and you may see Swampland, Mechanical Ruins, Volcanic Flows, and Mineral Caves all within a few rooms of each other in the same Area.

Overall it's a great game, but I don't think it'll go down as my favorite Metroid game, or even 3DS game I've played this year.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tyranexx

I recently completed Earthbound Beginnings (also known as Earthbound 0 and Mother) on the Wii U VC. Definitely an old-school RPG that was rife with balancing issues and grinding, the latter of which I'm not too fond of in the long run. To counter that, however, was a charming story with some great moments; some of these were minor dialog segments, while others were full-on scenes that brought a smile to my face.

Overall I enjoyed Beginnings, but I felt that Earthbound improved on the formula in nearly every way. It's still nice to see how the series began and to see what ideas Earthbound borrowed from its older sibling.

...To be fair though, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the game as much if not for the kind folks over at starmen.net and their EB0 guide. XD

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

gcunit

Just seen the credits roll on Yoshi's Woolly World.

I set about trying to finish it a few months back but got frustrated on what turned out to be the penultimate level (if I'd have realised I would have persevered) so took a break from it. Then booted it up last night and didn't take long to get past the bit that was frustrating me. Glad the boss level wasn't too taxing.

Gave up on going for 100%, but completed it on Classic mode with no badges used. Perhaps one day I'll go back to it to 100% a few more levels.

Some of it was great, some fine, some annoying. Didn't really care much for the more maze-like levels.

Overall I think it was a bit of a missed opportunity as it could be an absolute classic with a bit more variety to the gameplay and a bit more emphasis on fun stuff, transformations etc. Plus the soundtrack could be better - there's one standout classic, plus Yoshi's regular theme tune, but the rest of the tracks didn't really make an impression on me.

I still love Yoshi, but I won't particularly miss his flutter jump sound - sounds like he's constipated.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Ralizah

Just beat Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King on the 3DS. Well, the normal ending. I know there's post-game content that leads to a true ending, but I don't think I'm going to bother with that.

My feelings on the game have swelled and receded like the tides. At some points, I've thoroughly enjoyed the charming humor, funny dialogue, and open world exploration. Most other times, though, I've found myself wondering why I keep coming back to the game. The characters are largely simplistic stereotypes that don't really change or evolve. The plot is almost textbook JRPG. The music is... bleh. There's almost nothing in the way of interesting side quests aside from the (admittedly very addictive) camera challenges. And the battle system is, well... purely functional. I did keep coming back, though. Maybe because of the colorful Toriyama art style. Or perhaps because, at the end of the day, I still kind of liked the cast and wanted to see what happened to them.

PROS:

• Delightful art style
  • I love how much humor there is in the game. It's light-hearted, but not the point of ridiculousness.
  • Bunny girls!
  • Camera challenges are fun
  • It's longish, but not to the point of being exhausting, like some games. Plus, there is apparently a decent amount of post-game content.
  • Almost fully voice-acted cutscenes!
  • I felt like the tension mechanic was a decent addition to the combat.
  • While I felt like the final boss was disappointing, I quite liked the actual ending of the game! It gets a lot of bonus points for crashing a wedding in its final act, and made me like King Trode even more than I already did.
  • It's liberating to fly around in bird form. While I prefer the airships in FF on an aesthetic level, I can't deny that I enjoyed the game more once it opened up in this way. Also meant I almost never had to sail around in that cursed ship anymore!

CONS:

• The technical limitations of this game are QUITE evident. Some of the worst pop-in I've ever seen in a game like this.
  • No 3D implementation, which felt lazy.
  • No orchestrated soundtrack like the PS2 version. Also, the music was disappointing.
  • Rote battle system.
  • Sailing in the ship is BORING. I wonder how many hours of my life I wasted just staring at ocean in this game...
  • While I like some of the characters, the cast never really evolves much.
  • Plot, as I said, is standard JRPG material.
  • I hated the alchemy system, but you're forced to use it if you want the best late-game equipment.
  • Why did the game decide to delay the ending of the game with an obnoxious fetch quest?
  • Disappointing final boss. Rhapthorne had a ridiculous design. Didn't really feel like an epic confrontation, either. Also, summoning those orbs seven times over was incredibly tedious.
  • The voice acting in this game was really, really bad at times. Not too many things worse in this world than bad British voice acting.

Decent game overall, but not nearly as good as I hoped it would be. Solid 7/10.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Jhena

Beat superstar saga + bowsers minions yesterday. Its barely good. I like the humour (especially the first chapters of the minions saga was great) but its really just like the other 3ds mario and luigis. I dont know the games just lack something. The combat is still good but definitely easier this time. And i missed the 3d.

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

ianl579

@Jhena What did you think of it compared to Bowser's Inside Story? That's the only Mario and Luigi I've played and enjoyed (because Paper Jam was not fun at all).

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

Krull

Just knocked off Chrono Trigger. It's, you know, pretty good. I think I clearly missed its peak era, and it probably won't go down as my favourite Squeenix RPG from the 2D period, but I did enjoy it.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

OfNullAndVoid

Took me a while, mainly because I got to playing other games, but I finally finished Breath of the Wild. I'm rather hoping the ending of the game will lead into the Champion's Ballad Expansion. I loved the game as a whole, but I hope that going forward, we'll see this 'format' of Zelda be used as an additional gamestyle, much like Mario has the side-scrolling (new super Mario), somewhat isometric (3d world/land), and 3d games (sunshine, galaxy, odyssey). I'd still like to see the other 3d Zelda gamestyles be used every now and then.

Switch FC: SW-2457-0400-2143

Maxz

Just beat Golf Story, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

It gets off to a bit of a slow start, as the typical 'rags to riches' plot arc really makes you feel the rags you'll eventually be casting off. The initial atmosphere feels kind of sluggish and heavy, right down to the weirdly apathetic soundtrack of Wellworn Grove.

But as soon as you break free of the first course, things liven up significantly, and the game starts piling on vibrant and interesting locations, characters and scenarios. The writing is charming and genuinely funny, and the game is generally just a weird and wonderful story to be a part of. It's changed my notion of indie games from being novel little time wasters to engrossing little novels in their down right. I mean, Golf Story is not a novel, but it did have a narrative and cast of characters that I really enjoyed. Thoroughly recommended.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Jhena

Beat isaac afterbirth + once. The game itself is fine and fun. Feels good to move around and shoot stuff. Poping the poop up also feels strangely satisfying. But for someone like me whos not really into roguelikes the asking price is too high. Just recently i bought stardew valley for 14 euro. For isaac i paid 34 and i think it was 40 originally. Indies are greedy too. Once i beat one ending of the game i wanted to move on. A slightly changed game on every run wont change it. The diffiulty is too much luck based. My first two tries were hard and on the third i got a bit lucky with the items.

Jhena

RancidVomit86

I'm finally dipping into the PS3 library heavily. Just finished Resistance and had a blast with it. It doesn't reinvent the genre in anyway but it is a really sound game and I look forward to moving on to the sequels.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

mowerdude

Uncharted Drake's Fortune from The Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection for PS4, This series is one of my favorites series from Naughty Dog. Will be working on Unchared 2 Among Thieves next.

mowerdude

cheetahman91

The Punisher (Arcade). Not Capcom's best beatemup, but still worth a playthrough.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

Jhena

Fire emblem warriors. Its nice enough and a little bit better than i thought it would be. It got stale after 2 days but whatever it was fun while it lasted. When i realised that i could zoom the camera on the strategic map the game was finally manageable and pretty easy on normal mode. I liked the difficulty. My problem with the game is the flow. Its too often broken. Maybe it was the same in hyrule warriors. Dont remember. The strategic component of sending troops is fun and also kinda annoying because a part of me just wants to slash through the enemies without pausing the game. Clearly the dominant part. And theres too much information without any real value popping up like the level up messages. I should have disabled it. I think its possible. People constantly talking got also annoying because i played in japanese and i had to read too small text while the action was still ongoing. Id prefer it if they did it like in the tales of series. Just portraits talking to each other pausing the game if they really have to comment on everything. Story and cast was very weak but good enough for this kind of game.

The battles itself were fun, (as long as i wasnt playing the dragonlady (camilla?)) felt satisfying and simple. On normal difficulty it wasnt too important who i was fighting against as long as i was playing a swordfighter. I prefer them anyway.

Jhena

Ralizah

Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 - It's more focused and polished than the original. Most of the terrible character drama from the original is gone, too. In its place is an increasingly insane sci-fi plot that is a lot of fun to watch unfold. The difficulty curve is more reasonable in this game, culminating in a fairly difficult final boss that really tests your reflexes. The epilogue was somewhat short and basic, but at least the game doesn't outstay its welcome. Overall, I really liked this.

KryptoniteKrunch

Fire Emblem Echoes.

Amazing game, I've only played the 3DS FE titles, but this would probably be my favorite(Awakening was also amazing, Fates was good) I loved everything about it; the story, characters, setting, maps, difficulty curve etc. The dungeon crawling aspect was fun and I hope that's incorporated in the upcoming FE Switch title.

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

Ralizah

@Knighty_IX Thanks! Honestly, I'd played that boss battle so many times by the time I defeated it that I didn't even really hear the music.

I did like the overly dramatic lines Derek and Angie kept spouting when I severed Aletheia's veins for the final time.

The series reminds me a lot of Ace Attorney overall: the futuristic setting and technology (as I recall, the original takes places in the far-flung year of 2018. LOL!), the way it takes tropes from medical fiction and turns them up to 11, the comic book-esque set-up with clearly defined heroes and villains, and, most certainly, the way fantastical elements are integrated into the core plot.

Edited on by Ralizah

Chalupa

Beat Mario Odyssey on Sunday and it was fantastic! I'd say it's probably my 2nd favorite Mario game, first being Galaxy.

Trust in yourself
https://vid.me/Chalupa
https://mastodon.social/@Chalupa

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic