Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 701 to 720 of 3,146

6ch6ris6

Halo 2 on (original) Xbox
still a great shooter. almost perfect to be honest, if it wasn't for the texture-loading issues in the cutscenes and that insane cliffhanger at the end.

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

kkslider5552000

Crash Bandicoot 1. 100%.

**** that game. I mean it's fun at times but trying to 100% it was such a terrible idea, why did I waste hours on my life for this?! SERIOUSLY INVISIBLE PLATFORMS AND TERRIBLE CAMERA ANGLES AND DIAGONAL JUMPING WITHOUT A CONTROL STICK AND YOU CANT DIE ONCE OR YOU DONT GET THE GEM. LEVEL WHERE YOU CAN'T SEE IF YOU'RE NOT QUICK ENOUGH AND HITTING ENEMIES CAN RUIN EVERYTHING FOR NO GOOD REASON.

This is probably why people don't like this era of gaming anymore.

I'll get Crash 2 and hope it fixes some of this (which I've been told it is better). It would've been fun if it wasn't a frustrating nightmare.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Davidv

I recently beat Nex Machina, Life is Strange season 1 and Until Dawn. Still dipping into GoNNer on the Switch but not sure if I'll see the end anytime soon!

Davidv

Ralizah

Adventures of Mana (PS Vita). Incredibly simple little action RPG that is apparently a remake of a game boy game.

PROS

• Gorgeous music. Seriously, the OST is one of the best aspects of this game. Even if it is somewhat limited in terms of the number of available songs.
  • Gameplay is responsive and satisfying. Particularly the combat.
  • I like how straightforward the game is. It basically gives you a weapon and says "go out and save the world," with pretty much nothing in the way of tutorializing or handholding. Very refreshing in comparison to modern design sensibilities.
  • Manageable length. The game is probably six or so hours long overall, but it doesn't feel too short. This lack of padding gives it a nice, tight pace.
  • Some fun characters/humor. I particularly like the Chocobot companion you come to rely on.
  • The ending is bittersweet and pretty decent.
  • It's nice to see that, unlike the other remake of this game, they made sure to keep the Final Fantasy elements intact.

CONS

• The game won't give you a break if you run out of mattocks/keys in the middle of a dungeon. It expects you to bring enough of that stuff along, which might be a surprise if you don't know to do that. Also, the game will want you to perform certain actions that might not be immediately obvious. This aspect of the game design hasn't aged very well, imo.
  • The narrative is incredibly basic, which undermines the moments that are supposed to be emotional.
  • The game has some pretty bad glitches in it.
  • Super-attacks are overpowered. In particular, the one for the sword. You can mow down most of the game's bosses with hardly any problem if you abuse the spin attack.
  • Another reflection of its old-school game design: the overworld can be a royal pain to traverse. Especially with the amount of backtracking you have to do. I found going back to certain, more restricted areas became annoying later on.
  • The Vita port can feel a bit sloppy at times, like they did the minimum amount of work possible when porting over from mobile platforms.
  • Not a fan of the visual style. Very bland.

Overall, I enjoyed it for what it was. Definitely not a favorite, but I think it compares pretty favorably to most of Square's early games. MUCH more playable than the first couple of Final Fantasy games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Freelance

I beat Super Metroid 2 days ago.

Freelance

shaneoh

T2: The Arcade Game (Megadrive): A challenging rail shooter game, probably made more challenging because I was using a controller. I was satisfied with the bad ending, destroying everything in one of the levels was a tall order that I wasn't going to fill.

Asterix: The Great Rescue (Megadrive): The only thing preventing this game from being decent, is the time limit on each level. Forcing the character to damage themselves to beat the time limit is not good game design. Then you have the gall of not replenishing health between levels.

Micro Machines (Megadrive): Came so close to beating it when I was younger, one of the few racing games I enjoy.

Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know (Wii U): Had the potential to be a good roguelikelike, however the slowness of the characters, the poor level generation (items fenced off by impassable barriers), and the chance of getting caught in an inescapable mash of enemies definitely puts this in the "bad licensed games" category.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Xyphon22

I finally beat Oblivion. I do think it got better at the end than it was earlier, although I did still beat it the same way that I got through most of the game up to that point: just running for my life toward the red/green arrow and ignoring everything else around me, including the 700-foot-tall fire demon that I was somehow able to just walk on by with no trouble at all, and the guy I was supposed to be protecting but left in the lurch simply teleported through the door with me. Good times.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

KirbyTheVampire

Just beat Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Such a fantastic and immersive first person semi-open world RPG, with top-notch voice acting, characters, and side quests, with an interesting story to boot. It's honestly one of the best games I've ever played. It also has fantastic replayability, with multiple dialogue options, clans that play vastly differently from each other, and multiple endings. It's really too bad that it went through all those developmental issues and needs an unofficial patch to run bug-free (or at least with very few bugs). Had the game been as bug-free as it is with the unofficial patch right out of the gate, I think it would have been a much, much bigger hit.

Absolutely recommend the game to anyone. Just make sure you install the Unofficial Patch before playing. Before you actually install the patch though, right click on the game in your Steam library, click on Properties, then click on Local Files, then click on Browse Local Files. That lets you see where the game is actually installed in your computer, and then you can make sure the patch installs there. Sometimes the patch wants to install in the wrong place, so I definitely recommend doing that first and make sure it goes where it's supposed to go. Also, don't be afraid to ask in the "Still having problems? - POST HERE!!" thread in the game's Steam community if you have any problems starting up the game, since the game is a bit wonky with modern computers and prone to error messages when first installed. Pretty much all problems/errors that pop up can be fixed, though. The guy who helps people in that thread is super knowledgeable and helpful.

Just a tip though: I wouldn't recommend the clans Nosferatu or Malkavian for a first playthrough. Those are great clans, but they're much more enjoyable when you've already played through the game with any of the other clans.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

gcunit

shaneoh wrote:

Asterix: The Great Rescue (Megadrive): The only thing preventing this game from being decent, is the time limit on each level. Forcing the character to damage themselves to beat the time limit is not good game design. Then you have the gall of not replenishing health between levels.

I'd have given you three times as many points for that post if you'd have written...

Then you have the gaul of not replenishing health between levels.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

6ch6ris6

@matiasu one of those games i still have to get for my 3DS. i played the demo a few times. did not like the combat too much but the setting is super cool and i love the atmosphere

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Filth_Element

Just finished Twighlight Princess HD for the WiiU. Couldn't finish it first time on the Wii due to those awful graphics. It was too muddy and blurry for me to play it, kept giving me headaches. The other reason I didn't finish it first time was waving my hands too much, I was not a fan of the Wii mote and constant shake control. So happy to play on a gamepad. I've actually realised recently I finished very little on the Wii and the main reason for that was playing with the Wiimote just plain put me off, only games I actually got through was No More Heroes and both Mario Galaxies.

This Zelda was great one of the best stories of the series imo and was sad to finish it. I really enjoyed Midnas journey as at first I plain didn't like the girl but by the end I was enjoying her presence quite a bit.
Bought expensive magic armour didn't use it once! What's the point I'm a ruppee whore so I can't stand watching that number tick down....

Some of Mario Odyssey is seriously giving heart palpitations.... that plumber is trying to kill me!

Tyranexx

Filth_Element wrote:

Bought expensive magic armour didn't use it once! What's the point I'm a ruppee whore so I can't stand watching that number tick down....

While I definitely get where you're coming from here (I hate spending Rupees), that armor is actually quite useful in the Cave of Ordeals. Unless you use the Gale Boomerang cheat....I'm not sure if this made it into TP HD though since I haven't played it yet.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

ap0001

I beat 7th dragon VFD about a week ago, it's incredibly fun throughout up until the postgame (struggling through the not great bonus dungeon, it's basically just 'spam super moves, leave and refresh your super move gauge, repeat with the next boss), and beat Blaster Master Zero 3DS this morning.

Interesting thing though, I got all the maps, life ups, tank upgrades, completed area 9, got the golden ending... and Destroyer Mode / Ultimate Mode didn't unlock like it's supposed to. I can't go back into the cleared file, it just puts me back at the final boss fight that you can't leave. (Defeating the final boss with that absolutely ridiculous cannon subweapon is super satisfying)

3DS FC: 1220-8075-1849
Come hang out in Lanktown I guess?

3DS Friend Code: 1220-8075-1849

Filth_Element

@Tyranexx good tip man. I gotta still go back and complete that. And use amiibo to get that download challenge.
Just completed Star Fox 64 3DS which was fun! Laid down the challenge to the missus to beat my score. She probably will... 😂

Some of Mario Odyssey is seriously giving heart palpitations.... that plumber is trying to kill me!

Luna_110

I finished Megaman Battle Network 1 on VC, it was far shorter than I remember, at just 15 hours.

Now I'm trying to 100% it, but the internet layout is so annoying when you compare it to the other games in the franchise...

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

CanisWolfred

Saints Row IV: Re-Elected - Wonderfully fun game. Actually aimed for 100% for the most part, and didn't really find myself losing interest. Had a great combat system, and in a lot of ways, felt like the Crackdown 2 we deserved rather than a Saints Row game. But it was also genuinely funny, albeit relying a little bit too much on reference jokes. But even then, when one character is a real-life actor playing as himself, those reference jokes don't really feel out of place.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

BetaBugs64

Metroid II and Super Metroid. Been playing through a ton of Metroid games recently ever since E3. Currently working through Metroid Prime 3

"Pick a God and pray!"

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3510-4610 | Nintendo Network ID: 3DS-Hylian

GrailUK

I recently finished Doom, Doom2 and Doom3. Ready to throw myself back in to Arms

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Tyranexx

@Luna_110: I agree on the internet layout. I started with the third game onward back in the day (still have the carts, actually). Going back and playing this one for the first time on the VC, MMBN1 is definitely rough around the edges compared to its successors.

Overall, I still enjoyed the game. I still haven't gotten to the second one.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic