Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 381 to 400 of 3,148

Tyranexx

I cleared Metroid Fusion on the Wii U VC. I had a lot of fun with this one and actually liked a lot of the changes from the previous 2D entries.

Though I can see how some complain that it set up Other M.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Tasuki

Ninja Baseball Bat Man (Arcade) Did a playthrough of this with my son, it's not hard just your standard arcade beatem up. It's an odd game though, the enemies you fight and bosses are some of the strangest I have ever seen.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Ralizah

Beat Persona Q the other day. Unsurprisingly, the lovechild of Persona and Etrian Odyssey also turned out to have a pretty long campaign, although, somewhat surprisingly, it has next to nothing in the way of post-game content. That's probably for the best, though: after devoting 90+ hours of my life to it, I'm ready to move on to other games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

RevolverLink

I've managed to finish The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Trails of Cold Steel, Mega Man Legends, Spyro the Dragon, Chib-Robo!, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam and Stardew Valley over the last month. Well, technically Stardew Valley doesn't really end, but seeing as my character is married with children, has restored the Community Center and received the highest ranking from Grandpa's ghost, I'm counting it.

While they were all good to some degree, Cold Steel, Tron Bonne and Stardew Valley ended up being my big favorites of the bunch. ToCS is one of the better RPGs I've played in the last few years, and MoTB and SD are two of the most fun, charming games I've ever played.

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

Ralizah

Beat Super Mario Sunshine last night. It was fun. I'd love to see a new 3D Mario in the same kind of style.

Whydoievenbother

Journey (PS3)
This game is proof that video games can be a work of art. The beautiful visuals and sweeping score are just the icing on the cake of this wordless epic that needs to be played to be truly understood, as it's quality transcends all words.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Ralizah

Beat Gunstar Heroes 3D. I used to not like the game, but something about it clicked this last time I played it to the point where I actively wanted to finish it. It's a weird little shooter, but I'm growing quite fond of it now. That last gauntlet of boss battles at the end of the game is horrendous. though. Even learning their moves, I barely survived that last portion of the game.

Edited on by Ralizah

edhe

I finally beat Persona 3's epilogue chapter, and with that, the game can be put aside for now. It only took me 140 hours combined.

The battle system was quite interesting; you really had to strategize against some enemies - moreso on the epilogue chapter which defaults on hard difficulty. I'd say it's easier than SMT IV though. Then again, I haven't been forced to play SMT IV on the hard difficulty yet, so I'm sure the game will have a few things to teach me.

I hit a few brick walls against enemies that would just wipe out my team, so ample grinding was required, and even up to the final battle (or so I thought), I was preparing a Messiah persona (just like in my run in the main game), but in the end, I was able to cheese it with a relatively low level persona (the mighty Odin) with an amplified shock attack that increases the chances of my teammates scoring criticals.

Then I got on to the final boss itself, and the teammates I chose were grossly under-levelled, but I still managed to do it. My tactic of bringing down the criticals wasn't working, and I was repeatedly reviving my teammates, but it was a relief to reach the end of that game, after spending so long on it, and watch the ending.

I mentioned it in the "What game are you currently playing?" thread, but I'd rate it as one of my top games (at least the main game, although the epilogue helped me to play the game better): the mix of RPG/Social Sim/Anime was really appealing, and I look forward to Persona 5; IF - in light of recent Atlus related news - it ever releases in Europe...

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Ralizah

Just beat the main story in Demon Gaze. Fun dungeon crawler with an interesting art-style and addictive gameplay systems. I'll probably play some of the post-game stuff, but I won't feel bad about shifting my focus to something else soon.

edhe

I recently beat Blackthorne on PC - one of those games Blizzard offered for free a few years back. Very difficult - more than I'm used to any way.

For those who aren't familiar with the game, it plays similar to 'Prince of Persia' or 'Another World', but you're a metal-head with a shotgun. You leap and run through several areas, shooting Orks from the Warcraft universe before confronting some demon, and saving the world. To be honest, I wasn't paying too much attention to the story.

The game is split up into 4 worlds with 4 areas each, plus one for the final boss, and while you can continue from the start of each area if you die, the areas involved a lot of backtracking and, in some cases, perilous jumps , and I was finding it quite frustrating to near the end of a level, and make a silly mistake (or just succumb), causing me to have to do the whole lot again.

The hero is armed with a shotgun (which later upgrades to semi-auto>auto>auto high powered), but rather than just spray the enemies with bullets, you have to hide in cover (stepping back into the background slightly). Your enemies can do this too, but I found it a bit difficult to find an opening against some enemies, because their rifle bursts varied in duration. You're able to use various grenades against them (to little effect), but the best tactic I found (if you weren't an Ork gunfire sandwich) was to rush behind them, and shoot them as they turned around, and repeat.

But in all, it wasn't a bad game, although there were times when it was a little unfair, like when an Ork shuffles up to the edge of a ledge you're supposed to grab on to, resulting in it shunting you back down again. And if you happen to be propelled down more than one screen, then it's back to the start of the area.

Similarly, 'Gish'; a platformer where you control a ball of tar (also on the PC) is another potentially difficult game I managed to beat recently. Its main sticking point is its very precise control scheme, and coupled with the wonky physics engine, I found it to be a frustrating experience in places. There were some parts where I'd jump onto a platform, and I'd die instantly, or I'd step on an elevator which propels me through a ceiling, and I'd take variable damage - sometimes, it would actually kill me.

Unlike Blackthorne, the levels weren't as sprawling, but you are able to continue at the start of each level all the same - if you play on the normal difficulty. The next difficulty level starts you off at the beginning of the world, while the hardest requires you to beat the game in one life, which, frankly is near impossible if you risk spontaneously dying for no reason. I doubt I'll ever beat 'Gish' on the hardest difficulty, but I'm just happy to have beaten it. The same goes for Blackthorne.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Ralizah

Finally beat the DLC case in Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies. Not sure why I put off finishing it for so long... maybe I just didn't want Ace Attorney to be over? Considering the new game is coming out soon, though, I felt like I needed to put this one to bed. It was a fun, decently lengthy case with nice cutscenes and some great callbacks to the first game.

RR529

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, depending on how you define general completion for a game like this.

I've completed Classic & All Star (and won 1st place in Smash Run) with every character (barring DLC ones), so I'm counting it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RevolverLink

I just completed story mode in Pikmin 3 the other day. A small part of me was worried going in that the magic from the GameCube entries wouldn't be there, but nope, I loved it just as much as the first two games. To the point where Pikmin might actually be my favorite Nintendo series now.

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

edhe

I've technically beat Mighty Switch Force on the WiiU - in that I've achieved below par times for all initial regular and bonus stages. Now I just need to do them all again in hyper mode. The super shot is a godsend - I'm pretty sure some level stars aren't possible without it. I'll continue to play it until I achieve 100%.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit - it's not an unfair game, and I do struggle a little, because it is challenging, and I'm sure those hyper levels are going to be pretty tough.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

RR529

Tales of Vesperia (360).

Really good JRPG. It had a good cast (which you really got to know, thanks to all of the skits), with I think Raven being my favorite party member. The real time battle system was engaging. The story, while pretty standard, made sense & wasn't filled with too much techno babble (I do like the fact that the endgame villain wasn't simply "I'm evil, hear me roar!"). I also really liked the art direction, as it was quite beautiful. Pretty lengthy too, as it took me just a bit over 60 hours to complete it (and I didn't do EVERYTHING). I also liked all the nods to previous Tales games.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Vinny

New Super Mario Bros Wii (2009): The first game I beat on my Wii. I've played this one, the DS one and NSMB 2 (eww). This one has some nice additions like the Yoshi and mushroom helicopter cap thingie, but my favorite is still the DS one.

Just out of curiosity, for those who played both: how similar is NSMB U to NSMB Wii?

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

RR529

Shantae & the Pirate's Curse (3DS).

Easily one of the best "Metroidvanias" I've played (right up there with Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, & Cave Story, IMO).

The gameplay itself is very solid & fun (if not very innovative), it has a nice challenge without feeling cheap ('dat final dungeon!), the characters are likeable, and the art direction is fantastic (Even the standard desert & ice locales are brimming with personality). It's the first game that I've used the 3D on in a couple years too.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Ralizah

@RR529 All the Shantae games are good, but I feel like this one is WayForward's most polished.

I just finished two games when I went on vacation. I played Boxboy to completion, which was fun. I love how the game mixes platforming and puzzle gameplay together to create a simple but very unique and satisfying experience. The basic game is a bit easy, but some of those bonus worlds can get a bit rough. I also recently beat Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, which was surprisingly excellent. I believe it was one of the first games to do the whole 2.5D thing, and aside from a couple of perspective issues when platforming, it largely nailed that style. It's definitely one of the prettiest games I've seen on the PS1, too. Boy, that ending... I was not expecting that. Phew. Overall an excellent experience.

Blue_Blur

I beat Affordable Space Adventures last night. Amazing game. One of the best, if not THE best, use of the gamepad I've seen. The controls always felt solid, and the environments in the game really made you feel like you were completely alone on an unknown planet. And crazy ending... 😮 My space adventure was very affordable, since I got it for $1 from the humble bundle.

Totally recommend this game to anyone who is thinking about getting it. It has amazing strategic puzzles, and definitely deserves the great scores it's gotten. Glad I got to play it via the humble bundle.

Edited on by Blue_Blur

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic