Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 1,541 to 1,560 of 1,579

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature Barring any sudden replays of other series titles (like ALttP), my next one will either be the Link's Awakening remake or BotW. I'm not sure if I want to revisit Koholint first. I just know the latter won't happen while I have another long game going. XD I don't plan what I'll play too far in advance; I just make sure to vary the genres of the games I play at the same time.

Currently playing: SteamWorld Dig 2 (Switch), Dragon Quest VIII (3DS)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx yea for sure. I usually try to play shorter games first and get them out of the way so I can enjoy a nice long game. Botw is the one game id make an exception for 😉

NintendoByNature

NotTelevision

@NintendoByNature Yeah some things in Alttp are pretty cryptic. I’ll admit I didn’t know how to get certain items the first time around. I think I got the most pleasure out of the game the 3rd time I played it. Some of those bosses like that Theif were pretty tough the first time.

I would like to enjoy the NES Zeldas more, but the difficulty of some of the dungeons feel cheap as heck. Alttp got the balance right.

NotTelevision

NintendoByNature

@NotTelevision I'm not ashamed to admit most of the earlier zelda games I used a guide for. Not so much in the dungeons, but the overworld for getting to dungeons and getting items. I typically enjoy them more on the 2nd or 3rd time like you. It becomes more fluid when you know what you're doing.

That was one of the reasons I loved ALBW so much, because it wasn't that cryptic and I could fly thru the game without having to look anything up.

The 2 original zelda games I needed a guide throughout the entirety of the game for my 1st play throughs. Zelda 1 is cryptic as all hell and zelda 2 is tough as nails. I think they're both good games, but 1 is style such an amazing game and even a masterpiece considering the time it was made in. And it has a ton of replayability imo.

But I can see where you think some of it is cheap. Zelda 2 is cheap on every count. 1 isn't too bad aside from darknuts and like-likes. They're the only 2 enemies I hate to see in a room. Did you end up finishing the 1st one?

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature Funnily enough (at least on the Switch), I am trying to get some shorter games out of the way first! I have a handful of Nindies right now that shouldn't take too long to get through.

I'm juggling my Switch playtime with DQ VIII on the 3DS. I tend to pick a "long" game to play during the winter months when I have a little more time.

@NotTelevision I also shamelessly used a guide for the first two Zelda games and agree that these + ALttP are better enjoyed the second or third time through. The original Legend of Zelda has a special place in my heart, but not much of that is nostalgia; the game hadn't aged the best but is still charming in its own way.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link suffers from the sequel syndrome of the time. I can appreciate some of the different things they tried here, but the difficulty spikes, particularly Death Mountain after the first dungeon, are not easily dismissed. It's by no means a bad game, but it's my least favorite game in the series...and I've played all but two of the mainline entries at this point.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Late

Hexologic - Beat it some time ago last year but I completed it yesterday. Found it best to play while listening to podcasts/music. The puzzles aren't very complex. All in all nothing special.

Radiohammer - Small rhythm game for 3DS. Beat and completed. Starts out really easy and never gets much harder. Perfect for beginners who are dipping their toes into rhythm games for the first time. Little too simple for me but I had fun, especially in the last few stages where the difficulty finally ramped up.

I programmed a simple tool that copies all Switch screenshots from an SD card and places them to folders according to the game:
Link

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

NotTelevision

@NintendoByNature I beat both of the NES Zeldas. I also really like the first game. It’s just the later dungeons that feel cheap with the Wizrobes and Darknuts. I do like the doom and gloomy music and the sense that you are navigating a real labyrinth with dead ends. I understand how that can be considered bad level design and confusing, but I honestly kinda like that maze like feeling. It’s the enemies that begin to grate on your patience.

Zelda 2 has some good aspects but constantly being stopped in the overworld to do battle and walk offscreen really dragged down the pace of exploration. There is no reasonable way to take down some enemies because it feels like you are you jumping around and mashing the attack button a lot of the time. It ultimately becomes more frustrating than enjoyable a lot of the time. Still a relatively enjoyable game of the era. Love the weird interactions with some of the characters and the lack of handholding. It’s hard to deny the charm and sense of passion behind wanting to make something unique from the first game.

I’ve really come to appreciate aspects of every Zelda game. Every game offers something a little bit or occasionally very different from what you expect.

Those are just my thoughts on the first two games.

NotTelevision

NotTelevision

@Tyranexx Agreed. Can’t say I don’t admire Zelda 2, but it’s one of my least favorite for sure.

NotTelevision

NintendoByNature

@NotTelevision yea and the random battles were especially annoying if you were in a swamp. All and all, I can enjoy but it's at the bottom of my zelda list. @Tyranexx good call, get all the little ones out of the way

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NotTelevision Zelda II definitely has some redeeming qualities and is better than many other games of the era. When compared with the rest of the series though, I vastly prefer most of the other titles over it. That would seem dismissive to some who haven't played many Zelda games, but it's a testament to the series with how high the bar is set IMO.

@NintendoByNature Hopefully the sales die down a bit so that I can start making more progress. XD

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx lol I think the big new year sale ends tomorrow thankfully. I have so much to play im rushing thru most of it to keep up. Playing nsmb ds and aria of sorrow on wii u and tw3 on switch. Ugh tooooo much to play in a good way.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature #GamerProblems

My main problem is while I try to be picky with what I pick up, some of the best games tend to be long in the tooth. XD

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx I regularly frequent howlongtobeat.com to see how long games are before buying them. 20-25 hours is about my limit for the most part. I typically shy away from anything 30+ hours but i do make exceptions (as i stare blankly at my witcher 3 physical case) 😂. A good 10-15 hour game is kind of my sweet spot for 2 reasons. 1) it gives me more time play more games throughout the year and 2) I have a very short attention span lol. So long games tend to bore me after the 20 hour mark. Again, I do make exceptions though, for zelda games mostly.

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature I have HLTB as a shortcut on my phone lol. It + reviews + other feedback are big influencers of whether or not I pick up a game. I do shy away from some longer games, but there are others that I have backlogged (such as Skyrim, BotW, DQ VII, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2) that are too well lauded to ignore. Plus I like a well-crafted story and generally have no problem investing my attention into a good plot and/or compelling world.

I've become way pickier and am less of a completionist these days. I'm not afraid to drop a game if I'm not enjoying it or have a problem with some of the subject matter.

Edited on by Tyranexx

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx that's a good trait i wish i had(dropping a game whenever you want). The game has to be REALLY un-enjoyable for me to file it away. Or, brutally hard. Dark souls was that for me. Hollow knight is right on the edge of that. It's not brutally hard but it got on my nerves more than once dieing in a boss fight and trekking back to it. Those are a couple of the handful I've put away. Traded in dark souls,but I will for sure go back to hollow knight one day. It wasn't unfair, just a tad difficult and more than I prefer.

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature The difficulty of Hollow Knight is a little over my limit lol. I know it's an excellent game - and I do like some of my games to be challenging - but the line is drawn at whether or not repeated deaths will give me an aneurysm. I play games to relax, not to be a masochist. XD

Dropping a game is actually a trait I've been trying to cultivate better with some success. By all accounts I should have probably dropped Monster Hunter Stories, but I was far enough along at that point that I wanted to explore the final area and see what happened with the cliche plot.

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx yea for sure. I think the 2 things that would make HK much better, are save points before a boss fight and more fsst travel locations. I played about 10-12 hours so i got a good chunk of the game in. I wanted to finish it but oh well.

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature That's another killer for me right there: extensive forced backtracking, especially after dying. That was more permissible when I was younger and had more time on my hands. These days, I'd rather not put up with that.

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx hence my issue with dark souls. It was like moving in quick sand for me. Im not knocking anyone who likes it I just wasn't any good at it.

NintendoByNature

NotTelevision

@NintendoByNature Five years ago you’d already have an army of “git gud” zombies on your tail. Looks like we’ve progressed a little bit there 🤫

NotTelevision

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic