Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 1,541 to 1,560 of 3,146

Tyranexx

@NotTelevision I'll possibly borrow the game or pick it up for cheap down the line. It's not very high on my priority list right now.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Xyphon22

@NintendoByNature It won't tell me my play time since I only first played it 3 days ago, but that should probably emphasize how short it is. I would guess in the 3-4 hour range, but I usually think I have played less than I actually have, so it might be more than that. There are only 7 main levels, but they all have medals for getting all the collectibles, beating it without dying, and beating it in a certain time, and I got very few of those. There are also an additional 20 challenge stages, but I have done 8 of those and they only take 5-10 minutes each if that long. So there is a bit to go back and lengthen the play time if you are into 100% completion.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

NintendoByNature

@Xyphon22 good to know. I welcome shortened games actually so i might be able to squeeze this in soon.

NintendoByNature

klingki

Finished another two short games recently.

The first was puzzle-platformer 6180 the moon. I had a good time with this one. The graphics and gameplay mechanics are refreshingly simple, and the music is fantastic. It plays sort of like a simplified Celeste, with tricky platforming where you will die a lot, but then instantly respawn to try again. The main difference is that every jump will take you off the top of the screen where you will loop back down to the bottom of the screen. It allows for some pretty unique ways to navigate through the levels. I think overall it was much easier than Celeste, and the checkpoints made it pretty forgiving. But even though you still die a lot, I never found myself getting as frustrated as I did in Celeste. I think it's due to the calming music, and the fact that it didn't seem as daunting, so I knew it wouldn't take me too long to eventually overcome what I was stuck on. I'd probably give it in the 7.5-8/10 range for what it is.

The other game I beat is Limbo. Now for some reason I had watched a let's play of this game a while back, and I oddly remembered a lot of the puzzles from it, so it ended up not being as challenging for me as it might be for most people (except for the secret level which I never saw before, and oh man was that a pain). I also saw the ending in the let's play and had read a lot of the theories about it, so beating it also didn't really have the same impact on me that it might for others. But overall I could still see why this is such an acclaimed game. The atmosphere is very unsettling, and the puzzles are really well done. I'd say it's probably an 8/10 for me. Maybe would have been higher had I not spoiled it for myself.

klingki

NintendoByNature

Finished New Super Mario Bros DS on Wii u. I had a good time with it. No complaints, just your standard Mario bros platforming game that doesn't stray too far from its roots, which is a good thing.

I have a few more Wii u games on my list to finish, but they're mostly vc, and my switch backlog is real. So I've decided to hold off on anymore vc games for a few weeks to catch up on some of my switch titles. I'm probabaly half thru the witcher 3, so ill be at that for a while. With that said, I'm either going to start on RE5, SP: Fractured but Whole, AC: Rogue, or Darksiders 2. I'm leaning towards re5 or AC since they're both shorter games 🤔

NintendoByNature

NotTelevision

@klingki Limbo was an original game for the time. Particularly the art style that looked unlike anything from that year. I remember being really drawn to it when I got it on the 360.

Now there are so many atmospheric puzzle-platformers out there, but I think a fair bit owe a debt to Limbo and its success.

NotTelevision

klingki

@NotTelevision Yeah, it's pretty interesting because I've never played the game until now, and playing a lot of similar games concurrently on the Switch, you can see how much they have in common. But then when you remember that Limbo game out in like 2010, it's pretty clear the influence that it had. And it still holds up against everything else, even though it was one of the firsts of its kind, and all the other games have had ample time to tweak and update the formula.

klingki

JoeDiddley

I finished SMT IV (chaos route) this week. Fantastic game but harder with SMT games to give immediate impressions. The gameplay is fantastic, my favourite turn based battle system. But the themes and story are usually something that mean more when I think about them later, they take a while to settle.

One thing about the ending bothered me, but I guess that's a spoiler for a 7 year old game.

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

Zeldafan79

Well the game isn't recent but i recently beat an Nes game for the first time! Yeah i still play my Nes. Wanna fight about it? Anyway it's a shooter called Abadox. It's similar to another awesome one you might have heard of called Life force!

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Late

I would like to get back to SMT IV. I know there are multiples routes and I'm yet to finish one. I'm pretty sure I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do next, back when I dropped it, and I've since tried to get back to it twice. Last time I did, I stumbled upon some really hard battle and I was immediately wiped out. Haven't tried since. I think I'm about 40 hours in. I really liked the game back when I got it but it's also really hard to get back into.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

JoeDiddley

It's hard picking up games half way through. I've just gone back to Etrian Odyssey Nexus where I left it 25 hours in. I thought it would be fine as the gameplay doesn't really change but it took a few hours to re climatise.

SMT IV I felt constantly lost when playing it, and the demons were tough. So I can imagine it'd be hard to pick up 40 hours in. You could get back into it in an easier area to re familiarise yourself, and you'd probably gain a few levels at the same time.

Edited on by JoeDiddley

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

OorWullie

I just beat the original Doom for the first time and loved every minute of it. I played through it on Hurt Me Plenty, which was tough but fair. I had to make the most of the quick save state in the 4th episode though, especially Map 1. I'm not done with it yet though, I'm going to play through the unofficial 5th episode,Sigil.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

MsJubilee

I just finished AI The Somnium Files yesterday needed to gather my thoughts on this game. Before I talk about what I loved about this game, I have to say the Switch port is hugely disappointing! There were no problems in the beginning, but after a few hours(6-7 hours) in the issues reared its ugly head. Frame drops in some scenes(especially in a Psync) drops when moving the camera to look around. It's disappointing, and it's more discouraging when you're in the last two routes, oh boy. The frames dip hard in a couple of places. It ruins the experience to be perfectly honest, and in many cases, the game takes a couple of seconds to load a flashback(you'll get these flashbacks when a character mentions a vital scene). The good thing is the essential scenes don't have these problems, but still, this is unacceptable. A game like this should not run this poorly. Shame Chunsoft never resolved these problems.

With the port talk out of the way, I would like to say this game has exceptional writing. The characters are lovely, and the sex jokes are great(even the bad ones), Date's puns always made me chuckle. The mystery is where it's at, and the game throws you so many curve balls to keep you guessing. It's fantastic! I expect nothing less from the man who directed the Zero Escape titles. But the one thing I will not forget is Date. Kaname Date is one of the best video game characters to date; I love this man. This perverted, goofy, pun-loving old man has had me emotionally invested in him through beginning to end. I haven't had these feelings towards a video game character since Sebastian Castellanos(Evil Within).

To end this, AI is a fantastic game. I would recommend it to any fan of the Zero Escape titles or a fan of a good mystery. I can't recommend the Switch port sadly, those awful frame drops are a killer.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Resident Evil 4 Remake & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Ralizah

@MsJubilee From what I've heard, the PC port of AI had some issues as well, especially on Windows 7. I don't know if those were resolved yet or not. A bit disappointing to hear about lackluster performance, although, after ZTD, I'm perhaps not surprised.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

MsJubilee

@Ralizah That's a damn shame. This game does not look that demanding to have these problems.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Resident Evil 4 Remake & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

RR529

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna, the Golden Country - Prequel to the main XC2 game that's large enough in scope that it was released as a standalone package.

Pros:

• It retains the satisfyingly complex combat mechanics of the main game, and thanks to further refinements & little changes (such as the fact you have a set party) it's better than it's ever been.
  • I love how Torna (the new, main explorable Titan/continent) is designed. It still has large areas to explore with lots to find, but it's segmented into regions in a way that makes it easier to digest, and I assume makes it easier for the system to handle compared to the main game (it's still technically one large area you can explore with no loading screens, but it's designed in such a way that you can only see parts of the other regions, if at all, from the region you're currently in). Though it also features one of the Titans from the main game (Gormott) that you're able to nearly fully explore as well.
  • Speaking of exploration & progress, it's much better handled here as well. While it still has Unique Monsters (optional bosses that wander the fields and are usually much stronger than the other monsters in the area), it seems like they're placed in a way where you have to be looking for a fight, or going out of your way exploring, to encounter them (unlike the main game with that level 80 King Kong wannabe that terrorizes you in the opening hours). Also thanks to the set party, obtaining the right field skills to pass certain obstacles isn't much of an issue, while it could be obnoxious in the main game.
  • You're required to knock off a certain amount of the game's sidequests (completing them endears your party to the Tornan people, building your Community Level, and at certain points story quests will be locked off until you're Community Level is high enough), and while I understand that this could be a turnoff for some, as it's clearly a padding attempt in part, I loved it in practice. Now, not all the sidequests are standout, however you'll be meeting with the same faces throughout your adventure, endearing you to the game's populous, and it does make the ending mean more, IMO.
  • The story here can be quite melancholy & bittersweet, and while I personally prefer the more upbeat & hopeful tone of the main game, I can certainly understand why it's so for a prequel, and I can't deny it's really good & will pull at your heartstrings.
  • I really like the Japanese flair of the Tornan culture, and the world design itself is quite lovely, with a suitably massive sense of scale in parts. The desert region of Torna looks gorgeous, and this is coming from someone who generally dislikes desert areas.

Mixed:

• It's not a fault per se, but in some areas it does presume you've played the main game, particularly in terms of lore. Some things in this regard it doesn't really bother to explain (such as what exactly the Aegis' are), or some things that were a mystery in the main game until near the end, are more openly discussed/shown.
  • Like the first game it does seem to push the system. Nothing terrible mind you, but when you first turn it on it will take a few seconds for the world's textures to load up. No issues beyond that though (the resolution may dip in portable mode like the main game, though as I've played it TV only I can't confirm. I've heard it's an improvement over the main game in this area from others, though).

Overall I thought it was fantastic, and the fact that I can't point to something I actively disliked is a huge testament to that. Sure, I loved the thrill of obtaining new rare Blades in the main game (and do miss it here), but I don't miss the gatcha mechanics and legions of common Blades that came with it, and can't deny Torna is the mechanically better game because of the set party.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tyranexx

SteamWorld Dig 2

This is an excellent sequel to Image & Form's SteamWorld Dig. It's just as addicting as the original and improves upon its predecessor in nearly every way.

Positives

• There's more to explore this time around, and it also isn't all in one mine/tunnel system. They made some interesting design choices here that, on the whole, paid off.
  • At first, I wasn't too fond of how upgrades were handled in this game, but they grew on me; now I enjoy them more. Besides upgrades that can be bought and found in the mines, there are also cogs used to augment different features and effects with these upgrades. It's impossible to have every single effect in the game, but cogs can be removed and reapplied to other upgrades.
  • More characters were present in a larger town. They weren't fleshed out too much, but they could be entertaining at times.
  • Like with the other Image & Form games I've played, the music in this title is enjoyable. My favorite tune was the one that played in the East Temple.
  • There were more boss fights in this game. They weren't insanely difficult, but there was definitely more challenge this time around.
  • It's interesting how the game's ending more or less foreshadows the events that eventually gave birth to the steambot society of SteamWorld Heist.

Neutral

• Fen (your little Navi-like partner) is entertaining at times, but I didn't really feel much for this character one way or the other.

Negatives (Nitpicks mostly)

• While the running time was longer in this game than the first SteamWorld Dig, I still would have liked to have more mining to do after the credits roll. There are many well-hidden secrets that helps make up for this though.
  • Personally, I loved the idea of "intelligent" shiners. While I did like the plot "twist" here (though it was sort of predictable), I would have liked to see some more benign shiners that WEREN'T completely off their rockers.

I had a ton of fun with this game. It's easy to recommend, especially if one likes Metroidvania-style platformers.

Donut County

This was a quirky puzzle game that was enjoyable and had a few unique concepts. It's an impressive effort with a few shortcomings. Emphasis on "short".

Positives

• You're literally driving holes around with the left thumb stick or touch screen and trying to make them bigger by increasingly swallowing larger and larger objects. The game also changes how the holes behave for some puzzles.
  • There isn't a lot of major character development, but this is explored somewhat. Some of the conversations get pretty interesting, though.
  • The graphics are decent, though there isn't too much to write home about.
  • Raccoons are adorably ornery little scamps.

Neutral

• The music was passable, but nothing to write home about either.

Negative

• The running time for this game is pretty short: roughly 2 1/2 hours. This was permissible considering that I got the game half off AND dropped some gold coins into the mix, but the original $12.99 (USD) price point is pretty steep when compared to the content.
  • This game isn't the most replayable. Once you reach the end credits, you've seen everything on offer here.

This was a fun game, particularly if one enjoys games like Katamari Damacy. However, it's best to wait for a sale before picking up this game on the Switch.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NotTelevision

I’ve had time to complete some shorter games on the PS4 this week. Several of them I think are also available on the Switch Eshop.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter- A murder mystery with an emphasis on exploration and some puzzle solving. The protagonist has the ability to “sense” the past and gather information on the events leading up to the disappearance. Overall I didn’t really enjoy my time with this one. The environments felt like bland Unreal Engine 4 foliage and assets and the puzzle solving felt about as welcome as that featured in Hellblade. Some text appears on screen and you need to put into focus to locate items at crime scenes. Then you need to put the scenes in linear order, which was more tedious than engaging. There is also a puzzle where you need to arrange rooms in a blandly decorated house.

Not all of it’s bad. There are a couple of good moments (one magical realist moments involving an astronaut reminded me of something you’d find in Edith Finch) contained in the story, but they were ultimately overshadowed by the boring bits.

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture- A mystery story that is in many ways similar to Ethan Carter. A lone protagonist investigates an unoccupied town in the aftermath of a tragic event. Luckily this one fares a lot better. Like Dear Ester (another game by thechineseroom which many credit as starting the “walking simulator”) it is more of an interactive experience than an actual game. The character walks really slow and you find places to peer into past events and piece together the story.

The first 30 minutes or so I wasn’t feeling so confident about liking it, but as I played more I began to see what they were going for. The English countryside town on display here has a great about of detail put into it, and the characters conversations that you overhear have a great authenticity to them. There are truly beautiful moments in the 4-5 hours it takes to get through it, and I feel it is definitely worth your time if you like these sorts of experiences.

Abzû- When I first downloaded the game I didn’t realize it came from the lead designer of Journey. It definitely plays a lot like Journey, but that’s a great thing. This is straight up 2 hours of magic. Totally absorbing and spellbinding, like discovering a new world or a long lost culture that has been hidden under the sea.

I’m eager to go back and play this one again because everything feels so fun and alive in the world. The soundtrack is also exhilarating and goes along perfectly with what is happening on screen.

Highly recommend AbzĂ».

Edited on by NotTelevision

NotTelevision

RR529

Kingdom Hearts III (PS4).

Pros:

• The core gameplay is refined, slick, and is as fun as it ever has been. I can confirm it's probably the easiest game in the series however (this is usually seen as a negative amongst the fanbase from what I've seen, though as I've never played the series for it's challenge this aspect never bothered me).
  • I generally really liked the Gummi Ship segments. Previously these were rail shooter segments between worlds, but now it's been fleshed out into more of a space exploration theme, and is one of the few aspects of the game that I think is a genuine improvement across the board.
  • From a graphical/aesthetic aspect, everything looks fantastic, and is put to good use with some great looking setpieces during the climax.
  • After years of spinoffs it feels so good to have Donald & Goofy back by your side. I know it seems silly, but it goes a long way to making it feel "proper", lol.

Mixed:

• World design is a very mixed bag. First up the Disney worlds. The Toy Story, Pirates of the Caribbean, & Big Hero 6 worlds are genuinely great (I especially loved the mecha & ship segments of the former two), Hercules is okay, Monsters Inc is a fun ride but literally a hallway in terms of design, Tangled is a hallway too (and a bit less interesting), and Frozen is just blah. Oh, then there's the Winnie the Pooh world which has been trimmed down to just one little area, that you clear by playing a few different variants of a match three puzzle game...
  • Continuing on with the worlds, and focusing on the original worlds, there's Twilight Town, which is okay but trimmed down in size compared to past appearances, and some late game worlds which essentially exist for boss fights, so there's not much (if any) exploration involved (even if a couple look lovely).
  • In a truly bonkers moment (even by it's own brand of weirdness) is how they try to shoehorn in the Kingdom Hearts mobile title. Without giving away story elements, there's a segment where the Android & iOS usernames of hundreds of people who've played the mobile game will grace your screen in quickfire succession. The segment itself, while it makes no sense, is kinda fun though.

Negative:

• For something they've spent so much time on, it feels like they just didn't know how to tie up the story threads, so they just really didn't try. The game basically climaxes with a series of boss fights where you fight Organization members often 2-3 at a time, and they maybe each get a 3-5 minute cutscene wrapping up their story (even including characters you basically know nothing about). It even seems like they can't quite be clear on whether or not Sora's adventure came to a definitive close (and they came SOOO close, too) and they end it all with a new revelation & mystery.
  • Outside of the ever present Moogles, and a few easter eggs/nods, it feels fully divorced from Final Fantasy (outside of a brief narration mention of Cloud & Auron in the Hercules world, FF characters are nowhere to be seen).

In all I'm really torn up over it all in the end. I can't deny that I had a huge smile on my face at points, and it was technically on point, but it had bewildering story choices, and in areas felt like it could have been so much more.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic