DenDen

Yust beaten

Distraint Deluxe edition 7/ 10
And cat quest 8/10

Now playing
Switch : Little Dragon Café, Gleaner Heights, my friend Pedro

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

MsJubilee

Just recently beat Metro Exodus. Pretty great game, but those cutscenes are annoying! It felt like I was playing a dumb COD or Battlefield game. Every 12 minutes a cutscene starts, it takes control away from you, and it's infuriating; stop it 4A you're not COD! But at least the characters weren't annoying they were fantastic even. I loved everyone one of them; everyone was looking for something in the barren wasteland, everyone had a goal, a motivation to live, and that made me care genuinely for them. It felt like a family looking for hope. Sadly the writers didn't put much effort into the story of Exodus. It was interesting in the beginning hours after those hours were gone. It went downhill except in the final area.

Gameplay-wise it's the same as the other Metro games, but with more input lag. They patched it, but the delay is still there. Loading times are horrendous(played this on PS4 Slim, so I don't know how the rest of the versions fare) takes 6 minutes to load in the main menu, not even joking. Also, there's some blur effect each time you move the camera around the area. It's jarring. Don't play this on console.

I must be blunt here; the open-world segments are awful and uninspiring; these segments bring nothing new to the open-world table. Yes, you can get immersed, but you're only going to get that in the first area. After that? The open-world is a big pile of nothing.

I know I'm crapping on this game, but I did like it a lot. Especially in the last area, my goodness!! I'm not going to spoil anything! But wow! That area curb stomps the rest of the game, nothing you played before it touches that area. It's so atmospheric, so damn immersive that I just wanted to keep playing it! I didn't want to leave. I wish the entire game were like this, but sadly it wasn't. The lousy ending I got was the icing on the cake, so bloody dark that it made me feel glad I got it. I do not regret playing this, it has flaws, but it was still an enjoyable experience.

Edited on by MsJubilee

I've died, there is no more me.

If it's bitter at the start, then it's sweeter in the end.

Reading Metro 2034 & The second novel of The Saga of Tanya The Evil, also reading the manga 5-8 at the moment( both are stellar may I add).

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Heavyarms55

Finished the main story for Dragon Quest 11. I have to say, I can totally understand why the series is popular and has lasted so long. But at the same time, hype led me to have very high expectations that were not quite met.

What I liked: Gameplay, supporting characters and visuals. The gameplay is exceptionally solid turn based JRPG classic gameplay. The battles felt interesting, the variety of abilities and enemies small but diverse. And the game is well paced in a way that you really only need to grind if you avoid fighting too often, which is very easy to do. Visually the game looks amazing on Switch. Everything is bright and colorful and crisp even in portable mode. There is nearly no slowdown or serious frame drops. Although I'm not a big fan of Akira Toriyama's art style, he IS talented and it shows. Even if his character designs tend to be comically repetitive. The party in the game carry it for me. Jade, Erik and Rab mostly. Their personal stories, though minor in the grand scheme, were the most interesting part of the game for me.

What I didn't like: The silent protagonist and the story, although the story comes with an asterisk. Yes, I am aware that silent protagonists are tradition with Dragon Quest - or at least that's what I am told - however there are so many points in the game where it ruins what should have been powerful moments. Jade telling Luminary her story after saving him from the river, Serena crying over Veronica's death, saving the Luminary's father from the curse, and the party breaking free from Jaspar's final trap Just to name a few. The protagonist doesn't need to speak in a game. But they need to behave like a person. With other characters constantly just stepping in and speaking for the Luminary and deciding things, he himself just feels like a human weapon, not a character at all. And the story is unbelievably generic. So many times did I predict exactly what would happen next that someone watching me play probably would not have believed I was playing for the first time. A couple times I even got the exact line the person would say! However, and this is the asterisk, despite that super generic-ness, I give it credit for a generic story that is super well done! They took a very very standard story and portray it very well.

All in all, I had fun and that's all that I really want from a game, to sit back, have fun and be entertained. This game delivers that easily. I wouldn't rank it in my top 10 RPG/JRPGs of all time, but it is at least top 10 on the Switch for me. If I were to give it a number, I'd give it 8/10 a solid B-

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me
Edelgard profile pic credit to the amazing: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

Snaplocket

Just finished Trails of Cold Steel III. Long story short, best Trails game yet. It's amazing all-around. 10/10, everyone should play it. Must have for RPG fans.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

RR529

Tearaway Unfolded (PS4) - A 3D platformer set in a papercraft world. Though there are exceptions to the rule, the first half of the game is light on pure platforming & focuses more on environmental exploration & light puzzles, while it focuses more on platforming later on (though for the most part it remains a pretty chill experience).

Pros:

• While Iota doesn't have much moveset variety (he/she can jump, grab & throw objects, and curl up into a ball), the game more than makes up for it with generous use of the controller's touch pad & gyro capabilities to manipulate the environment and the objects within. It really does make use of everything people say Playstation exclusives don't, including the camera (if you have it), which is used to show a tear into the real world in the sky.
  • While early levels are pretty standard fare thematically, it gets really abstract later on, providing some really neat sections.
  • It looks quite good, and if I hadn't known it started off as a Vita title, I would have assumed it was developed with the PS4 in mind.

Mixed:

• I'm not sure how I feel about the vibe of the game. Of course, this isn't true of the entire game, but it too often feels almost sad & melancholy, both in terms of color palette & music (similar to Unravel & I assume Ori & the Blind Forest, maybe it's just a thing with European developed platformers & as an American I don't quite "get it" compared to the more colorful & upbeat platformers that come out of Japan & the US. That said, I think the approach worked a lot better with the naturalistic environments of Unravel & Ori, as opposed to the papercraft world of Tearaway).
  • Late in the game introduces gyro controlled platforms, and while they work well for the most part, there is a specific section with sheets of foil formed into circles that rearrange and invert themselves based on gyro movements that is genuinely infuriating (maybe the correct motions just didn't click for me, but I died so many times here).

Cons:

• Nothing game breaking, but I ran into quite a few bugs along the way. Mostly stuff like objects being invisible (though nothing necessary) and enemies or myself getting stuck inside the environment.

Overall it was pretty decent and well worth the sale price I paid for it. It's a step above Knack, but below Astro Bot & most first party Switch platformers IMO.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

GiantessSkyla

I beat Paper Mario Color Splash recently.

Flying Types rule!

NintendoByNature

Been a while since ive posted but I have beaten Aladdin(genesis), luigis mansion 3, and resident evil 4 in the last few weeks. Next to the revelations games, 4 is easily the best in the series. I'd say a 6 for Aladdin, a 9 for both lm3 and re4.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

RR529

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (Switch) - the long running anime series gets the Musou treatment.

Pros:

• The core Musou gameplay is here and as strong as ever (if you're into it). While I don't think it shakes things up as much as Hyrule or FE Warriors, many of the story missions do have unique elements such as a giant boss or a battlefield that shrinks as large portions of it become cut off over time. Plus, it looks good both docked & portably with no performance issues that I was able to notice.
  • It has a large array of varied characters & tons of maps. I'm personally not a huge One Piece fan, but it feels like they really wanted to do the series justice, and I'm sure bigger fans would be giddy at the options on offer.
  • Like the two Nintendo varieties, it features both a decently lengthed story mode (I'd say just north of 20 levels) that isn't too much trouble to get through (that can really showcase the excitement of the anime with action packed cutscenes, usually after defeating the enemy commander), as well as a seperate mode with tons of extra levels that later on can really challenge the most hardcore Musou players (that I'm not one of, lol). Oh, then there's also the "Free Mode" that lets you replay the story missions with anyone.

Cons:

• You can't swap between characters mid battle, nor command CPU characters from the pause menu like you can in certain other entries. I never found this to be a huge detriment, the abscence of the QOL features was missed.
  • Really digging for negatives here, but it doesn't feature your character doing a victory celebration cutscene whenever you clear a battle (like the other Musou games I've played have featured). It's not a "real" issue, but a nice touch I missed.

Overall it's a very solid Musou game. Not the sort of experience that'll win any awards, but if you like it's brand of gameplay there's quite a bit of fun to be had here (especially if you're a One Piece fan). I'll admit I let my inner teenage self take over as I took tons of closeup screenshots of Nami & Robin in their various costumes, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

CanisWolfred

@Heavyarms55 Yeah, story-wise, Dragon Quest has always been comfort food - it never does anything new, it just tries to do it with charming visuals and the occasional bursts of creativity. At the end of the day, its mainly trying to deliver a world of sword & sorcery to get immersed in and explore. The story is just an excuse to get you to new places. Always has been. If anything, I find that makes their standout moments that much more memorable, but that's just me.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

NintendoByNature

Beat Devil May Cry 1 tonight. I will say, the first couple hours was very entertaining and reminded me of bayonetta/ resident evil. Both series which I like, bayonetta more if I had to as i absolutely love it. After the initial first couple bosses, the game turned in a very repetitive gameplay loop. I did however have fun slashing and gunning away at normal enemies or more tougher ones.

The issue i had was that nearly every boss (maybe every single one), is recycled at least 3 or 4 times during the game. Imagine beating a boss you struggled with, for 45-60 min and finally getting over that hump where you can rest and breath that you finally conquered him. Only to realize, 2 or 3 missions later, he's back and he's harder than before. It got to the point that I ended up spamming the bosses with holy water, as long as it could be used. I don't think the bosses Would be that hard if the camera wasn't fixed. I know for a fact because of that alone, it caused me multiple deaths.

I think the game had some real promise, and maybe it was just a product of its time since this was my first go round with the game itself and the series, but I was hoping for a little more. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy alot of moments in the game, but the recycled bosses and multiple deaths due to camera angles, was a turn off. The game couldve easily been like a 7 or better had that not been the case. Taken this all into consideration, it was more like a 6/10 to me, and maybe that's generous. Maybe had I played this back in the day, i would've been a little more welcoming.

I hear dmc2 is even worse, which honestly would surprise me. I know 3 is on the way, and I'm really on the fence after playing 1. I'll read up on it to see if anything was changed, or different in a good way. It has the right stuff( flashy combat and gothic theme) but I need a little more.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

RR529

@NintendoByNature, I haven't yet played DMC2 (just like you, I've only recently played the first), but from what I understand it's not mechanically bad (and even ditched the fixed camera), it's just that enemies (even most bosses) are so easy that you can win most encounters by just using your most basic moves & it's more environmentally bland than the castle in the first game.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

NintendoByNature

@RR529 hmm interesting...so basically the game play is the same, but you can see you enemies much better? That actually sounds like an upgrade over the first. And after struggling with alot of bosses in the first game, I won't mind some easier bosses if thats the case. What's the 2nd games setting? Still a castle?

NintendoByNature

DenDen

@NintendoByNature
The second one is not an improvement doe the most people.
I loved it very much, the story in that one is nice.

Now playing
Switch : Little Dragon Café, Gleaner Heights, my friend Pedro

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

DayOfLavos

Finished Trials and Tribulations so I can officially say I've beaten the Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy on Switch. I absolutely loved the whole trilogy but I think the first one is still my fav

"There's a party in my mind, and I hope it never stops"
#1 Kirby Air Ride player in the world (voted by like 4 people)

klingki

I got Bury Me, My Love for free since I had purchased other Plug In Digital games, so I decided to try it out to see if I wanted to keep it on my Switch or just delete it. I ended up beating it twice for two different endings (out of a possible 19 I think?). I don't know what all of the endings are, but I'd say the first one I got was sort of neutral, and the second one was definitely positive. I heard there are some pretty devastating endings, but I managed to avoid those.

Overall, it's not much of a game. It's short, and consists entirely of reading a text message conversation and choosing different dialogue options that shape the story. Still, it is very well written, the characters are believable and developed very well, and the subject matter is interesting and something that deserves some attention. If you don't like this sort of "visual novel" kind of game (if you can even call it that), this one won't change your mind. But if you do, I think this game is pretty good, and I'm surprised they were giving it away for free. For the genre, it doesn't really come off as a shovelware type of game to me.

klingki

Snaplocket

Just beat Final Fantasy XII.

Long story short, it was an okay JRPG, nothing special. Slightly lesser opinion of it then Xenoblade 1. Vaan is not the main character and yet the player has to play as him anyway. 6 out of 10.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Tyranexx

I'll try to keep this from getting too lengthy.

Metroid: Samus Returns
This is an excellent, excellent Metroid game that overtakes its source material, ties it into knots, and kicks it into oblivion. I've played the original game and thought I knew what I'd signed up for. In a sense I did, but this package offers so many improvements.

Positives

• As with pretty much any Metroid game, the exploration (and the subtle puzzle solving that comes along with it) is well done. Later areas in the game become pretty challenging to navigate. I tore apart every nook and cranny of the planet trying to grab all the upgrades.
  • This is one of the most visually pleasing games on the 3DS. the 3D works really well in most scenarios. Plus, the added background and foreground elements serve to give SR388 some life and personality.
  • The music here is a treat! Some of the tracks are redone from previous games in the series (Magmoor Caverns, anyone?), but they hold up well IMO. This game is currently home to my favorite version of the series theme.
  • The boss fights were, for the most part, fun and challenging. Despite all the frustrations I ran into with the Diggernaut, that ended up being my favorite boss. The Ridley encounter at the very end took me by surprise, but I suppose I should have seen that one coming.
  • Aeion abilities are a nice, useful addition. Most of the time they're also optional.
  • Warp points are definitely a nice add-in to this game.

Negatives (Nitpicks)

• This is more down to my limited time to play games these days more than anything, but....If they were going to use checkpoints to begin with in this game after certain points, why not allow that with item acquisition as well? There was more than one time where I died without finding a save station and had to repeat certain item acquisitions.
  • This was only an occasional issue when I would get back into the game after leaving it for a couple of days, but I really wish the controls in this game were more intuitive.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
First, to get this out of the way: No matter what some naysayers out there say, this is NOT a bad game. It has some flaws, but is still worth playing. The first two games are better, but this one is decent in its own right.

Positives

• The basic combat of the previous two games is here. Besides your standard JRPG actions (attacking, using items, magical abilities/Psynergy, etc.), you can also still manage this world's djinni to your heart's content.
  • Overall I liked the story, though it was a little meandering and wordy at times. Then again, the other two games were this way to some extent.
  • Many of the later puzzles are fun to solve and are phenomenal. They start out a little too easy in my opinion, but I'll take that over the difficulty spike that was Air's Rock in The Lost Age.
  • Like the other entries in the series, there are pieces of music here that I also enjoy. The tracks that come to mind are Belinsk Ruins and the Harapa Ruins.
  • A lot of the visual effects for summons are flashy and clearly had quite a bit of work put into them.

Neutral

• Some of the jabber here felt a little extraneous. It's like they were trying to give all the party members something to say in any given situation, but a lot of that more or less amounted to a "Yeah, me too."
  • Plot points seemed either forgotten about or dropped entirely, but it's also clear that this game is/was intended to have a sequel.
  • I'm normally not a graphics nut, but the 3D overworld sprites in this game are a little...eh. They're not bad for a DS game per se, but I do prefer the 2D style of the earlier games. The 2D drawn portraits here are decent though.

Negatives

• The big one for me: Points of No Return. I went into the game knowing about these and for the most part avoided them, but I did get the rug pulled out from under me a little at one point. The game doesn't usually give you much warning about when this will happen either.
  • It would have been nice if the map had fully opened up (instead of partially) at the tail end of the game like in other RPGs, but that doesn't happen here. Granted, the first game did something similar, so that makes me wonder if this game's intended sequel would have opened up the whole world.
  • I'm sorry, but even with the Golden Sun event and all, how could Weyard change THAT much? And how could all of these ancient civilizations have sprung up without anyone knowing a thing about them?

I do recommend this one overall as long as one goes in prepared for its pitfalls. This one does recap the first two games in a fashion, but it would help to play them beforehand.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Super Metroid (SNES Classic)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx I never finished samus returns. I really want to, and maybe I will, but I also hope we get another metroid on switch.

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic