Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 1,461 to 1,480 of 3,137

GiantessSkyla

I beat Paper Mario Color Splash recently.

Flying Types rule!

NintendoByNature

Been a while since ive posted but I have beaten Aladdin(genesis), luigis mansion 3, and resident evil 4 in the last few weeks. Next to the revelations games, 4 is easily the best in the series. I'd say a 6 for Aladdin, a 9 for both lm3 and re4.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

RR529

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (Switch) - the long running anime series gets the Musou treatment.

Pros:

• The core Musou gameplay is here and as strong as ever (if you're into it). While I don't think it shakes things up as much as Hyrule or FE Warriors, many of the story missions do have unique elements such as a giant boss or a battlefield that shrinks as large portions of it become cut off over time. Plus, it looks good both docked & portably with no performance issues that I was able to notice.
  • It has a large array of varied characters & tons of maps. I'm personally not a huge One Piece fan, but it feels like they really wanted to do the series justice, and I'm sure bigger fans would be giddy at the options on offer.
  • Like the two Nintendo varieties, it features both a decently lengthed story mode (I'd say just north of 20 levels) that isn't too much trouble to get through (that can really showcase the excitement of the anime with action packed cutscenes, usually after defeating the enemy commander), as well as a seperate mode with tons of extra levels that later on can really challenge the most hardcore Musou players (that I'm not one of, lol). Oh, then there's also the "Free Mode" that lets you replay the story missions with anyone.

Cons:

• You can't swap between characters mid battle, nor command CPU characters from the pause menu like you can in certain other entries. I never found this to be a huge detriment, the abscence of the QOL features was missed.
  • Really digging for negatives here, but it doesn't feature your character doing a victory celebration cutscene whenever you clear a battle (like the other Musou games I've played have featured). It's not a "real" issue, but a nice touch I missed.

Overall it's a very solid Musou game. Not the sort of experience that'll win any awards, but if you like it's brand of gameplay there's quite a bit of fun to be had here (especially if you're a One Piece fan). I'll admit I let my inner teenage self take over as I took tons of closeup screenshots of Nami & Robin in their various costumes, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

CanisWolfred

@Heavyarms55 Yeah, story-wise, Dragon Quest has always been comfort food - it never does anything new, it just tries to do it with charming visuals and the occasional bursts of creativity. At the end of the day, its mainly trying to deliver a world of sword & sorcery to get immersed in and explore. The story is just an excuse to get you to new places. Always has been. If anything, I find that makes their standout moments that much more memorable, but that's just me.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NintendoByNature

Beat Devil May Cry 1 tonight. I will say, the first couple hours was very entertaining and reminded me of bayonetta/ resident evil. Both series which I like, bayonetta more if I had to as i absolutely love it. After the initial first couple bosses, the game turned in a very repetitive gameplay loop. I did however have fun slashing and gunning away at normal enemies or more tougher ones.

The issue i had was that nearly every boss (maybe every single one), is recycled at least 3 or 4 times during the game. Imagine beating a boss you struggled with, for 45-60 min and finally getting over that hump where you can rest and breath that you finally conquered him. Only to realize, 2 or 3 missions later, he's back and he's harder than before. It got to the point that I ended up spamming the bosses with holy water, as long as it could be used. I don't think the bosses Would be that hard if the camera wasn't fixed. I know for a fact because of that alone, it caused me multiple deaths.

I think the game had some real promise, and maybe it was just a product of its time since this was my first go round with the game itself and the series, but I was hoping for a little more. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy alot of moments in the game, but the recycled bosses and multiple deaths due to camera angles, was a turn off. The game couldve easily been like a 7 or better had that not been the case. Taken this all into consideration, it was more like a 6/10 to me, and maybe that's generous. Maybe had I played this back in the day, i would've been a little more welcoming.

I hear dmc2 is even worse, which honestly would surprise me. I know 3 is on the way, and I'm really on the fence after playing 1. I'll read up on it to see if anything was changed, or different in a good way. It has the right stuff( flashy combat and gothic theme) but I need a little more.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

RR529

@NintendoByNature, I haven't yet played DMC2 (just like you, I've only recently played the first), but from what I understand it's not mechanically bad (and even ditched the fixed camera), it's just that enemies (even most bosses) are so easy that you can win most encounters by just using your most basic moves & it's more environmentally bland than the castle in the first game.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

NintendoByNature

@RR529 hmm interesting...so basically the game play is the same, but you can see you enemies much better? That actually sounds like an upgrade over the first. And after struggling with alot of bosses in the first game, I won't mind some easier bosses if thats the case. What's the 2nd games setting? Still a castle?

NintendoByNature

DenDen

@NintendoByNature
The second one is not an improvement doe the most people.
I loved it very much, the story in that one is nice.

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

DayOfLavos

Finished Trials and Tribulations so I can officially say I've beaten the Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy on Switch. I absolutely loved the whole trilogy but I think the first one is still my fav

"There's a party in my mind, and I hope it never stops"
#1 Kirby Air Ride player in the world (voted by like 4 people)

klingki

I got Bury Me, My Love for free since I had purchased other Plug In Digital games, so I decided to try it out to see if I wanted to keep it on my Switch or just delete it. I ended up beating it twice for two different endings (out of a possible 19 I think?). I don't know what all of the endings are, but I'd say the first one I got was sort of neutral, and the second one was definitely positive. I heard there are some pretty devastating endings, but I managed to avoid those.

Overall, it's not much of a game. It's short, and consists entirely of reading a text message conversation and choosing different dialogue options that shape the story. Still, it is very well written, the characters are believable and developed very well, and the subject matter is interesting and something that deserves some attention. If you don't like this sort of "visual novel" kind of game (if you can even call it that), this one won't change your mind. But if you do, I think this game is pretty good, and I'm surprised they were giving it away for free. For the genre, it doesn't really come off as a shovelware type of game to me.

klingki

Tyranexx

I'll try to keep this from getting too lengthy.

Metroid: Samus Returns
This is an excellent, excellent Metroid game that overtakes its source material, ties it into knots, and kicks it into oblivion. I've played the original game and thought I knew what I'd signed up for. In a sense I did, but this package offers so many improvements.

Positives

• As with pretty much any Metroid game, the exploration (and the subtle puzzle solving that comes along with it) is well done. Later areas in the game become pretty challenging to navigate. I tore apart every nook and cranny of the planet trying to grab all the upgrades.
  • This is one of the most visually pleasing games on the 3DS. the 3D works really well in most scenarios. Plus, the added background and foreground elements serve to give SR388 some life and personality.
  • The music here is a treat! Some of the tracks are redone from previous games in the series (Magmoor Caverns, anyone?), but they hold up well IMO. This game is currently home to my favorite version of the series theme.
  • The boss fights were, for the most part, fun and challenging. Despite all the frustrations I ran into with the Diggernaut, that ended up being my favorite boss. The Ridley encounter at the very end took me by surprise, but I suppose I should have seen that one coming.
  • Aeion abilities are a nice, useful addition. Most of the time they're also optional.
  • Warp points are definitely a nice add-in to this game.

Negatives (Nitpicks)

• This is more down to my limited time to play games these days more than anything, but....If they were going to use checkpoints to begin with in this game after certain points, why not allow that with item acquisition as well? There was more than one time where I died without finding a save station and had to repeat certain item acquisitions.
  • This was only an occasional issue when I would get back into the game after leaving it for a couple of days, but I really wish the controls in this game were more intuitive.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
First, to get this out of the way: No matter what some naysayers out there say, this is NOT a bad game. It has some flaws, but is still worth playing. The first two games are better, but this one is decent in its own right.

Positives

• The basic combat of the previous two games is here. Besides your standard JRPG actions (attacking, using items, magical abilities/Psynergy, etc.), you can also still manage this world's djinni to your heart's content.
  • Overall I liked the story, though it was a little meandering and wordy at times. Then again, the other two games were this way to some extent.
  • Many of the later puzzles are fun to solve and are phenomenal. They start out a little too easy in my opinion, but I'll take that over the difficulty spike that was Air's Rock in The Lost Age.
  • Like the other entries in the series, there are pieces of music here that I also enjoy. The tracks that come to mind are Belinsk Ruins and the Harapa Ruins.
  • A lot of the visual effects for summons are flashy and clearly had quite a bit of work put into them.

Neutral

• Some of the jabber here felt a little extraneous. It's like they were trying to give all the party members something to say in any given situation, but a lot of that more or less amounted to a "Yeah, me too."
  • Plot points seemed either forgotten about or dropped entirely, but it's also clear that this game is/was intended to have a sequel.
  • I'm normally not a graphics nut, but the 3D overworld sprites in this game are a little...eh. They're not bad for a DS game per se, but I do prefer the 2D style of the earlier games. The 2D drawn portraits here are decent though.

Negatives

• The big one for me: Points of No Return. I went into the game knowing about these and for the most part avoided them, but I did get the rug pulled out from under me a little at one point. The game doesn't usually give you much warning about when this will happen either.
  • It would have been nice if the map had fully opened up (instead of partially) at the tail end of the game like in other RPGs, but that doesn't happen here. Granted, the first game did something similar, so that makes me wonder if this game's intended sequel would have opened up the whole world.
  • I'm sorry, but even with the Golden Sun event and all, how could Weyard change THAT much? And how could all of these ancient civilizations have sprung up without anyone knowing a thing about them?

I do recommend this one overall as long as one goes in prepared for its pitfalls. This one does recap the first two games in a fashion, but it would help to play them beforehand.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx I never finished samus returns. I really want to, and maybe I will, but I also hope we get another metroid on switch.

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature As do I. With a few obvious hints in this game, it wouldn't surprise me if we get a remake of Metroid Fusion before too long. At least we know Prime 4 is coming...at some point.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

RR529

the Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch).

Pros:

• Classic Zelda gameplay that's a mixture of action, adventure, puzzle-solving, and a smattering of other activities. Granted, it's never too difficult or complicated (due to a mixture of the era & machine of it's original release), but there's something enjoyable about a game you can get right into without much fuss.
  • There's some welcomed QOL improvements, particularly due to the fact that the Switch has a lot more buttons than the GameBoy, so many items/abilities now have dedicated buttons and are permanently equipped, so you're not spending nearly as much time in the menus switching out items.
  • While some may bemoan it's relatively short length by today's standards, much like it's chill nature, I found it to be a refreshing change of pace. Some of the later dungeons may have taken me about an hour or so to clear, but otherwise it always feels like you're on to something new every time you pick it up, and I liked that.
  • The art direction is pure magic, particularly in motion. The game has always had it's own unique vibe amongst the series (especially some of the more off the wall stuff like the plentiful Mario refrences), and I think the new toy/dream like aesthetic really helps to tie it all together.
  • Music is iconic & catchy, as is par for the course when it comes to classic Zelda.

Mixed:

• While it's appreciated, the new content doesn't add a lot to the package. There are now a series of figurines to win from the claw machine mini-game which are used to decorate the houses in Mabe village (a new one is available to win after every dungeon you clear), and of course there's the much touted dungeon builder, which won't add any major time to your playthrough, but it's a fun occassional diversion.

Negative:

• As has been much discussed, the framerate briefly chugs whenever you enter a new area (whenever the area name appears on screen), and anytime you're in Gapongo Swamp for some reason. I found it to be a minor irritant at worst, and quickly came to be able to pay it no mind.

Overall, this was a game that had me smiling from beginning to end, and while I have no specific love for the original (I played it years after it's original release), the remake has suprisingly gone on to be one of my favorite gaming experiences of the year.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

NintendoByNature

Assassin's Creed:Liberation on Switch

I thought it was a nice stroll down AC memory lane. It's been a while since I've played the series(black flag on 360 maybe?) . Either way it's a light version of a full game. Feels like less combat, less action, but the same type of game nonetheless. It's only about a 7 or 8 hour play through. It came with the Ac3 obviously but I never played it back in the day. Figured it would be a nice warm up before I played ac3 again which has been years.

It was a good time, nothing to write home about but good fun. I really liked the setting( new Orleans, the bayou, and even Mexico at a couple points. You also have 3 personas to choose from which i don't recall in other a.c. games. So that was a nice touch. I didn't see nearly the amount of weapon options though, which was a bummer.

All and all, a good experience that is a nice pack in for the base game. Got it on black Friday for $15 so I'm not complaining about it's short length. Especially considering I still have ac3 to play.

7/10

NintendoByNature

NotTelevision

I finally beat Persona 5 yesterday. That one has been hanging in my backlog since June apparently because that is when my first trophy was received. It’s quite a feeling when you complete a game that you have been playing 6 months off and on. It was certainly worth the roughly 100 hours it took to complete. I think the real strength of the game is how the fast and smooth everything feels from a gameplay perspective. It’s one of the few JRPG that I’ve played where it feels the menus and presentation of the UI feels fluid and not overly cumbersome. The battles themselves also have an impact and intensity due to the wonderful and stylish animations. There is a lot of RNG to the fights, but seeing your character dodge out of the way or a teammate assist you with a critical melee or gun strike is always cool and never gets old.

The characters in the story segments seem fairly on point for high school students, but very often I felt that these parts dragged on too long. At least half of your playtime is spent clicking through dialogue boxes, which aren’t interactive. You have the occasional dialogue tree, but during the story segments every choice has the same outcome. The story itself is also confused, unsubtle, and has had at least 4-5 false endings. I like not being able to predict what will happen next but any good screenwriter or playwright know that you can’t do this more than 2 times. I became fatigued in the last 15 hours when the game threw so many new characters and improbable plot developments at me. I did like the gauntlet of new enemies challenging and forcing me to make tough calls in battle, but it felt too cluttered and directionless as a narrative experience.

Overall it’s still a fantastic game. The social elements and choices you make on how to spend your day are absorbing, the battles are awesome and ask you to make the most of your characters’ abilities and resources, and the characters have personal histories that are, for the most part, interesting to uncover.

The real issues come in the bloated final 1/4 of the game, but the gameplay remained solid through the parts when the narrative trailed off.

A memorable game and one that I’m glad I finally completed.

Edited on by NotTelevision

NotTelevision

RR529

The Touryst (Switch) - Indie 3D platformer with a tropical vacation theme, with many of the worlds (islands in this csse) being loosely themed around real world locations (such as Fiji & Hawaii, in the forms of Fyjy & Hawayy, for example).

Pros:

• It's kind of a mix between a 3D platformer & Zelda-like (each island has dungeon to tackle in the form of the Monuments), and for the most part it works pretty well.
  • It looks fantastic. I'm usually not one for boxy looking games like this (voxel style, I think), but it has a really high level of polish in this area, with the lighting in particular being gorgeous.
  • While as barebones as they come, it does feature a photo mode.

Mixed:

• There are quite a bit of side activities on offer, and while a handful of them are great (such as the fantastic F-Zero, Bomb Jack, and Breakout clones in the arcade, the latter two of which are pretty full featured), most are simple distractions that you won't be interested in once you've done them once (such as quick fetch quests, a drone obstacle course, soccer target shooting, pull-up challenge, drum themed rhythm minigame, etc.), largely because they only last a minute or less.
  • While I personally don't like knocking a game for this, I think it's fair to point out that it's a quite short experience (it took me longer to complete games like Devil May Cry, Onimusha Warlords, & Blaster Master 0).

Negative:

• There's some platforming challenges in the Twyn Monument that were bad. They feature you having to jump on balls no bigger than your character to progress, and what makes them so hard is that you have to land on each one at least once in order to clear the room, they change positions each time you jump on one, and they explode if you land on them more than once. It's the kind of pixel perfect platforming that isn't really intuitive in a 3D space (made worse by the fact that you have limited camera control in the Monuments).
  • A couple of the bosses are terrible as well, specifically those of the Lyfta & Gravyty Monuments. The Lyfta boss is a real test of patience, as in order to pass you need to cover up 5 geysers with rocks, but as long as you're on the ground with the boss it will instantly knock any rocks off the geysers, so what you have to do is put all the rocks up on an elevated platform & try throwing them onto the geysers from there, as the boss won't move when you're up there. However, if you miss judge even one throw, even the last one, the boss will knock off all the other rocks when you go to retrieve the one missed rock, resetting the whole thing. As for the Gravyty Monument, it's boss is the final one, and sees you trying to ride floating platforms over glowing spots (you need to cover each spot with one of the platforms to hurt the boss), and you have to do it a total of three times to beat it. The first phase isn't too hard because the boss will simply try to block your path (though trying to line things up is also a bit unintuitive due to the limited camera control), during the second phase the boss will shoot lasers at you to knock you off the platforms as well (it's the only time in the game anything actually attacks you, and while you have no way of knowing this because you don't have a life bar, you die if it hits you too many times, I think 5), and during the the 3rd phase boulders will start falling from the ceiling as well, one-shotting you if you get hit (these are easy enough to avoid in the one other fight they show up in, but are harder to avoid here because you're trying to guide around the relatively slow moving floating platforms). Any time you die, you have to restart the boss at the first phase.

Overall, despite some really irritating sections, it's overall quite the well made game. Not a must play, but maybe worth looking into if you're into 3D platformers.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tyranexx

Super Metroid
This is my favorite 2D Metroid and, quite simply, is one of the best games I've played. This isn't my first time with the game, but it's been a couple of years since I last played it on the Wii U VC.

Positives

• The 16 bit graphics have definitely aged well and still look great. This was a definite step up from the first two games at the time, and it shows.
  • As with most Metroid games, the exploration here is well done. It's fun trying to probe every nook and cranny of Zebes.
  • Many of the boss fights are fun, and a fair few are even challenging (if not mildly irritating in one case).
  • A lot of the music is still pleasing to listen to. I daresay Red Soil is my favorite tune.
  • All of the upgrades are meaningful and help build out Samus's arsenal of tools and tricks.
  • There isn't much of a story outside of the opening moments of the game, but you don't need text to tell a story; the visuals here, I'd argue, are more than enough to tell a meaningful tale.

Neutral

• This is a nitpick: I really wish there were more save points, but that's a testament to my schedule more than anything else. The SNES Classic helped with this problem anyway.

This game is fully recommended. There's a reason so many people enjoy this one. It's an amazingly solid experience.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic