Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 1,421 to 1,440 of 1,478

Woomy_NNYes

Forgotton Anne (Switch)
Took 11-12 hours to beat. It has a cool story. Looks sort of like a disney/anime cartoon, with hand drawn animation style. Don't know if I loved the ending, but I liked the game overall. It has a demo, and progress does transfer to the full game. I was sold on the demo after 20min of play. I highly recommend the demo.

Splatoon 2 - Usually play turf war, sometimes salmon run.(level 98)
FC: SW-5453-2229-5124
Usr:Anderiah / SpookyDipr (my scary Halloween username)
eastern US.

JoeDiddley

I had 3 weeks off over the summer. And alongside some lovely time with the wife and kids I managed to finish both Persona 4 Golden and FE3H.

I didn’t think that was bad going. Both amazing entries in two of my favourite series.

Edited on by JoeDiddley

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
3DS: 5327-0913-7260

Snaplocket

@Ralizah I personally don't agree with the bad points, I'd give it a 9 out of 10 myself and I'd say good riddance to demon fusion and conversation mechanics. Those were just trial and error.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Ralizah

@Snaplocket If you thought they were trial and error, it's no wonder you don't enjoy those features. Demons have different personality types, and you craft your responses according to that. It's a brilliant mechanic and, honestly, is one of the biggest reasons I prefer Persona 5 over Persona 4. It makes the demons feel like living creatures as opposed to dinky cards you win in a mini-game or something. They're central to the SMT experience, and their absence hurts in this spinoff as well.

There's a little bit of trial and error in fusion when it comes to RNG stuff like fusion errors that happen occasionally, but it's still primarily strategy in terms of determining what skills you carry over, maintaining elemental balance within your team, keeping on top of new skills that become available when the pool of demons grow, etc. It's another complex, involving mechanic that DDS abandons wholesale in favor of just buying skills.

Ralizah

Snaplocket

@Ralizah All I can say is, no I don't agree. Demons only get 2 lines and that's it. Even when improved it just feels like a hassle.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Ralizah

Super Mario World

SNES (via Nintendo Switch SNES app)

So, after years of starting and stopping this game on various systems, I FINALLY beat it. And I didn't just beat it, I completed Star World and the unlockable Special world as well (the one with hilariously dated level names like "Gnarly," "Tubular," and "Mondo"). I think there might be a secret level or two that I didn't complete, but I'm not really bothered about that, especially since I never consulted an online FAQ for this game even one time (which was a huge temptation in the irritating Forest of Illusion).

I've stated for years that I just don't like this game. Has that opinion changed after fully experiencing what it has to offer? ...not really. I don't understand the acclaim this receives. Most of the worlds feel very samey and don't do enough to distinguish themselves from one-another (which wasn't an issue in SMB3, which featured very creative and distinct worlds).

The available power-ups are incredibly disappointing (the only really new one you'll use with any regularity is the cape, which is, frankly, a nuisance, and a massive downgrade from the Tanooki suit in SMB3; stuff like the balloon powerup, which strikes me as someone's bizarre inflation fetish that was somehow worked into the game, and the wings that attach to Yoshi and turn him into a blue Yoshi are so incredibly rare that they're little more than occasional level gimmicks).

The music is weird and very limited. You'll hear the same couple of tracks over and over.

Yoshi and a number of new enemies are introduced, but Yoshi feels very nerfed without the wonderful flutter jump that was later added into Yoshi's Island. Swallowing enemies is useful, but otherwise he just feels like an extra layer of armor to protect Mario from hits or, occasionally, a pawn to sacrifice when large jumps are needed and you're not wearing a cape.

The difficulty is all over the place in this game. I understand some people will find some things more challenging than others, but why do some of the random levels from the main game feel so much more brutal at times than the Secret levels, or the Star World levels? There's no rhyme or reason to it. Boss fights follow this trend as well, with several of the Koopalings being far more challenging than the actual final boss encounter against Bowser, which was pretty disappointing.

A lot is made about the number of secret exits in this game, and the interconnected world map. But, honestly, the focus on hidden content feels like it comes at the expense of the regular level design, and the connected world map really does nothing for me. SMB3 had actual minigames and item houses on its map, so, if anything, that game felt like it benefitted more from the somewhat open map design, despite the worlds not all being interconnected like they are here.

Probably the worst addition to the series via this game are the ghost houses, which slow down the momentum of the platforming to a crawl and force you to engage in irritating trial-and-error puzzle design until you happen to chance upon the correct path that'll take you to the end of the level. The design of these levels are improved in several subsequent Mario games, but they're almost intolerable here, and I groaned in frustration everytime I came across one, because I knew any semblance of fun I was having was about to end.

Any positives? Well, the game has a bright, cheerful aesthetic, which is nice. Yoshi coins, which you collect five of in a level to get a 1-Up, I believe, are interesting. While I prefer the flagpoles of previous and subsequent games, the system here where you have to tear the tape on the goal post to collect stars so that you can play a minigame is nice, although I personally prefer the flower system that accomplishes the same thing in Yoshi's Island. I also kind of like how different Yoshis can have different abilities (the rare Blue Yoshi, for example, can fly when he's holding a koopa troopa in his mouth). Control-wise, I dig the spin jump, and wish Nintendo had elaborated on it in later games.

It's not a bad platformer, and is still far preferable to the dreadful Mario 64, but I don't think I'll ever really 'get' why this game is so beloved to so many Nintendo fans (apart from the obvious nostalgia factor, which might be the missing ingredient; I didn't first play this until it released on the Wii VC, and obviously didn't complete it until 2019).

Verdict: 6/10

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Heavyarms55

@Ralizah I always liked Mario 3 on NES much more than Mario World on SNES. But I am frankly shocked to hear someone call Mario 64 dreadful!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me
Edelgard profile pic credit to the amazing: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

Ralizah

@Heavyarms55 Unpopular opinion, I know. I could rant about Mario 64 all day. I didn't play the game until 2013 or so, and time has NOT been kind to it.

Ralizah

Heavyarms55

@Ralizah That's fair enough I suppose.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me
Edelgard profile pic credit to the amazing: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

BruceCM

Witcher 3... Got best ending, although without either Triss or Yen, as going for former next time

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

kkslider5552000

I just beat Travis Strikes Again. It is one of the worst games that I'm entirely glad I played through.

...yeah. I dunno. This was a weird one. It did so much right yet so, so much wrong. Mostly it really exposed how necessary the parts between the action were in the first 2 games.

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Tyranexx

My commentary this time around will be shorter than normal. No time to write a novel, I'm afraid. XD

Kirby's Adventure (NES, played on Wii U VC)

As a newer fan of Kirby after playing Kirby Super Star on the SNES Classic, I decided to try another "must play" Kirby game. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this one. The graphics for a late NES game blew me away as I wasn't expecting the rotation effects (like the giant fans and the rotating tower for one world)[/spoiler] to look so cool. The graphics in general have aged pretty well, the gameplay was tight and excellent, and the copy abilities were fun to steal and experiment with. Heck, the simple, addictive mini-games were even fun. The plot wasn't much to write home about, but the slight twist at the end was interesting. [spoiler]King Dedede isn't such a bad egg after all.

I think my only true complaint about this one was that it was over too soon. Some later stages were more frustrating than fun due to enemy placement, but I suppose that's part of the challenge. XD

Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (DS)

I'm still messing around with some post-game stuff but did reach the end credits a few days ago. This is only my second Dragon Quest game. I quite enjoyed it but think that I prefer V in the story department. The chapter for each character (or set of characters) is fun, unique, and does a great job exploring their motivations, something that only a handful of JRPGs really bother going in-depth about. The story becomes more cookie cutter in the final chapter, but it's still an enjoyable romp with some interesting turns on the way. I think this could have been alleviated somewhat by having party chat, but unfortunately that isn't included in the DS version for some reason. :/

The combat is standard turn-based JRPG fare, but it's fully functional and gets the job done. No complaints there. It's nice that you can automate some things by assigning tactics, but the trade-off is that the AI for your characters isn't always the best.

This cannot be understated, but the music tracks in this game, particularly some of the themes for the playable characters, are amazing.

I've had to grind more in this game than I'm comfortable with, but I suppose I shouldn't fault it for that too much since the original game was on the Famicom. A lot of the grind has been for the post-game content, but there were a few times during the main story where I also had to stop and beef up my characters' levels a bit.

All in all, DQ IV is a decent Dragon Quest game that I would recommend to any JRPG fan. Just be aware that it contains a little more grinding than in many more modern JRPGs. Plus, the DS version has party chat excluded, which I feel would have added more to the experience.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Metroid: Samus Returns

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

NintendoByNature

It's been a while but i have a two'fer. Both on switch, Astral Chain and Sydney Hunter and the Curse of the Mayan

Both were really fun, but astral chain blew me away. 9.5/10

Sydney Hunter 7.5/10

I have alot to say about both but not sure i want to type it all out ūüėā

NintendoByNature

Ralizah

Spirit Hunter: Death Mark + DLC chapter

WHAT IS IT?
A horror game by developer Experience Inc. where you play as a cursed amnesiac (the curse manifests itself as a mark on the host's body that steals their memories before killing them) who, under the guidance of a mysterious talking doll named Mary, investigates paranormal mysteries and helps people confront the angry spirits and monsters that have also given them similar 'death marks.'

PLATFORM
Playstation Vita

LEVEL OF COMPLETION
Everything. Platinumed it.

Untitled

GAMEPLAY
Similar to the horror game Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, it's a classic adventure game (exploration happens across static screens where you pixel hunt for items to collect, objects to manipulate, and puzzles to solve) with heavy visual novel elements (lots of dialogue and automated, dialogue-driven sequences). Additionally, you'll frequently be confronted with "live or die" scenarios, where a health meter of sorts called "Soul Power" will run down as you're confronted with something dangerous (usually a run in with a lesser spirit), and you have to choose between three or four ways to react. If you react properly (you often get hints on how to react to these sequences based on information you learned earlier in the chapter), you'll not lose health from your meter; wrong answers or actions will see dramatic reductions to your available health meter, and, if it reaches zero, you'll die, and to start over either from your last save (you can save almost anywhere, thankfully) or from the beginning of the live or die scenarios. You'll find talismans hidden in your environment that will boost your available health in each chapter, thankfully.

In an interesting twist, almost every chapter in the game features a boss battle against the primary spirit you're investigating (a different one each chapter), where you have to engage in certain combinations of actions or combine certain items at the right time to either destroy or save the spirit (saving the spirit involves engaging it with items from its past life as a human, almost always found while investigating haunted locations throughout the chapter, that force it to confront the emotions of anger and grief that inform its campaign of terror in the first place; as is usually the case in Japanese ghost stories, the intense karmic impact of human brutality and cruelty continues to manifest itself even after everyone involved is long dead).

You meet new "mark bearers" each chapter, and the game allows you to take one other person with you on your investigation. While this seems like a fluff feature at first, you quickly learn that certain partners have certain skill sets that are required for beating certain challenges in the game (for example, in one boss fight, you'll want to bring along someone who knows how to play the piano).

PRO:

• I love that, if you die in a "Live or Die" scenario or in a boss battle, you can restart from the beginning of the encounter right away. Great feature!
  • It's pretty standard for a VN, but I continue to appreciate when a fast-forward button is included that allows me to rapidly skip previously seen dialogue when I replay sections of the game for trophies.

CON:

• Weirdly, in the menu screen, the game seems to assign a set of stats to each character, but these stats never seen to feature in the actual gameplay. It's just a strange bit of misleading design fluff.
  • While I appreciate how little of the "rub every combination of items together with every object in your environment to find out how to progress" nonsense this game has, I do find the amount of environmental interactivity here to be extremely limited.
  • Text changes color depending on whether the main character or someone else is speaking, but, without names on the textboxes or even character illustrations at many points, it can occasionally become confusing to ferret out who is saying what when three or more characters in a scene are talking together. Especially since this game has little to no voice acting. Not a huge issue, but little niggles like this eventually add up.
  • There are a noticeably large number of typos in this game. The localization script job seems a bit sloppy in a number of ways, actually. Count the number of times characters use the phrase "up and [x]" during the game, for example ("up and left;" "up and lied;" etc.)

Untitled

STORY/CHARACTERS
The game feels rushed to me. Each investigation flies by so quickly that the story never feels like it has time to really organically develop, and each chapter instead goes through the motions of shuffling you through a repetitive formula of sequences. It's a very rote form of storytelling.

The game shifts to an almost entirely new set of supporting characters with each new investigation, which makes it where we never get much time to spend with most of these people. Especially considering the investigations all take between 1.5 - 2 hours. Some of these characters are fun, but the constant turnover means we never really get attached to them.

This is remedied, weirdly, in the DLC chapter, which reunites most of the side characters introduced throughout the game to excellent effect. Actually, the DLC chapter is more developed story-wise and marginally more well-written, too.

Untitled

ART/CHARACTER DESIGNS/MUSIC
One of the highlights of the game is the art design. Environments are suitably atmospheric and beautifully gothic. Character designs find some middle ground between traditional anime and Junji Ito, and it works well with the horror setting. The CGs that crop up throughout the game, while often creepy and disturbing, are often weirdly detailed, and just gorgeous to look at. Despite the clearly low budget presentation, it still manages to be a reasonably attractive game to look at.

The monsters and spirits in this game are often spectacularly grotesque, but the game does a good job of mostly keeping them off-screen until the climax of an investigation for maximum effect. It's handling of the material is effective

One thing to note is the light but noticeable eroguro vibe this game has. While the game doesn't really feature heavy amounts of what might be called "fanservice," and the designs of the female characters are fairly normal and modest, there is quite a bit of implied, referenced, and after-the-fact sexualized violence against women in this game. You'll see a lot of voluptuous corpses in this game in various states of undress. Sexual assault, while never seen or played for cheap drama, does become a plot point as well. Doesn't bother me, but some people might want to know about this before buying the game.

The music, while not terribly memorable, does its job of communicating the horror atmosphere effectively. Sound design is decent throughout: while it probably wasn't the intended effect, the spooky chime noise and text that slowly crawls across the screen when the game is trying to scare you with something really gave me the giggles. There's a certain cheesiness to the whole affair, but not everything can be Silent Hill. In general, fans of ghost stories will dig what this game has to offer.

Untitled

CONCLUSION
While the game is saddled with pacing, translation, and QoL issues here and there, it was still, overall, a pleasant experience. One that was, unfortunately, over just a bit too quickly. The genre and art both resonate with me, so I had a good time. There's definite room for improvement, though, and I'm not sure I'd recommend someone pay full price for this.

Untitled

VERDICT
6.5/10

Ralizah

BruceCM

If you're planning to get DQI-III when they Switch, @Tyranexx .... Those are all more grindy, overall, with odd difficulty spikes scattered throughout In 1, you only have the hero, no companions. 2 introduced the party system & 3 expanded on gameplay significantly in several ways

SW-4357-9287-0699

NintendoByNature

Jet Kave Adventure on Switch

It's essentially a spiritual successor to dkc games. It even adds an element of action which is a nice change of pace. The jet pack adds a nice layer of strategy as well. You essentially have a double jump and then a "dash." Both of which make the platforming in the game very satisfying. The bosses are either way too easy, or sometimes pretty difficult. The good part is that every time you hit a checkpoint in a level, it refills your health. You're going to need it at times. There's little hidden areas to uncover, collectibles to be had, and good for speedrunning. Think it took me about 4 hours or so. My two gripes about the game are as follows.

-Price is kind of high
-the "racing levels" can be very tedious and frustrating. Objects approach you way to fast to move out of the way.

Other than that it's worth the time of any dkc fan. Maybe wait til it's on a sale though.

7/10

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@BruceCM Trust me, I'm prepared lol. I don't mind some grinding now and again, but the excessiveness of it is why I don't normally play many RPGs that came before the 16-bit era. I definitely want to try I at some point just to see where the series began. III is often highly praised. I'm happy to skip II from what I've read about it.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Metroid: Samus Returns

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

BruceCM

Cool, @Tyranexx ... Played them on my phone, so I won't get the Switch ones

SW-4357-9287-0699

Justifier

Borderlands 3 on Xbox One. Took about a week for me to complete campaign. Loved it, even when it has little performance issues. Get my first character (FL4K) to level 50, and my Moze is now lv. 24. I have played that now about 110 hours, and now I think that I could play something else for a while.

Soldiers does not judge. Soldiers delivers judgement.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

Snaplocket

Just beat Astral Chain, awesome game, one of my favorites. 10/10

Edited on by Snaplocket

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic