Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 1,401 to 1,420 of 1,473

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature I agree with you. I tried the demo on the 3DS when it became available. While it's by no means a terrible game, there just wasn't enough there to make me want to purchase the game.

The layering effect was nice though.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Mega Man Battle Network 2 (Wii U VC), Metroid: Samus Returns

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx yea the layering even on switch looks nice. But it's just....a bland game. There wasn't even boss battles that I recall. The puzzle game in the collection that was Dr Mario esque was the only thing that saved the collection for me. Atooi who made the game, actually did a nice job on xeodrifter though. That's worth someone's time for a few bucks at least

NintendoByNature

Ralizah

@NintendoByNature I like Mutant Mudds a good deal. Like I said, I played it on 3DS at launch as well, and I rarely replay games I've fully completed. The 3D effect was actually really cool on the 3DS, so I'd rate that version slightly higher for that reason alone. It's clearly a game made with stereoscopic 3D in mind.

With that said, it's objectively pretty basic and borders on mediocrity, so I have to acknowledge that.

I'll definitely be playing the sequel and the spinoff included in the Switch collection as well.

Ralizah

MsJubilee

Recently beat the Wolfenstein Double Pack (The New Order& Old Blood). They still hold up especially Old Blood, biggest gripes with both games are the A.I, they're terrible. Like really terrible, they can't put up a fight, except in the final mission in the New Order is when they do actually give you a challenge, somewhat.

The New Order: Story is great in the beginning and end(except in the middle), A.I sucks(like i said before), gunplay feels mediocre i feel like sometimes i'm shooting pea shooters half the time. Those forced fetch quests almost ruined this game, they're were boring and unnecessary.But i can still recommend this, it isn't perfect by any means but you'll get some enjoyment out of the New Order.

Old Blood: Man i love this title, it started off decent but when you get to the old town and s*** hits the fan, it's god damn fantastic! The atmosphere, environment and sounds makes this game come out on top! Gunplay feels great,the guns feels meaty(especially the rifle), A.I still sucks. The biggest gripe with Old Blood is that's too short, they didn't spend enough time in the old town like they should've. Best part of the entire game and you're barely in it.

I highly recommend Old Blood, best Wolfenstein to date, i'll rather play this again than the New Colossus and YoungBlood. Off topic, but i have no hope for Doom Eternal or any other Bethesda game coming out. With Bethesda track record as of late, Eternal will be mediocre garbage just like Rage 2, New Colossus,76 and Youngblood.

Edited on by Matthew010

I've died,there is no more me.

If it's bitter at the start. Then it's sweeter in the end.

Reading Metro 2034 & The Saga of Tanya The Evil light novel, also reading the manga( both are stellar may i add).

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Glitchling78

Game: Lapis x Labyrinth
Platform: Switch
Completion: End Credits (79% total)
Time: 18 hours

This was the strangest game I’ve played in a while and I could see it polarising people. It’s a hyperactive 2D hack n slash dungeon crawler with overwhelming visuals and audio.

By overwhelming, I mean that for 80% of the game you will be showered with bright colours, flashing lights, characters screaming stuff in Japanese and combat sound effects. If you’re epileptic or have a headache this is one to avoid, but if you love fast paced action it’s worth looking into.

Combat is great, at least to start with. It’s really fast and the moves your characters can do have weight. You’ll often be fighting hordes of enemies like a musou but if you’re not paying attention you can get seriously injured. It keeps you on your toes but aside from different enemies, nothing really changes throughout the entire game. You don’t unlock new moves and the majority of the abilities you learn are stat buffs. Whilst it’s fun, the sheer amount of repetition can grind you down.

The game showers you with loot, which feels incredibly rewarding. You do get a lot of duplicates despite the huge variety of weapons but these still come in useful as you can dismantle them to create items. That said, the sheer amount of stuff you’ll amass makes navigating weapon and armour menus difficult, even with sorting options.

There’s about 80 missions in the campaign, ranging from 1-3 levels each plus a boss battle. A mission generally takes between 3-10 minutes. Whilst a lot of levels are original, there’s a noticeable amount of copy paste in terms of layouts. There are 10 level types but to be honest, they all kind of blend together by the end. That said, it was always fun trying to navigate your way to the exit in time.

If this sounds interesting, definitely look up videos before purchasing. As much as I liked the flashy and noisy presentation I could see it being grating to some.

Glitchling78

RR529

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: the Black Order (Switch).

Pros:

• The core beat 'em up gameplay is easy to pick up and grasp, but it can be satisfyingly challenging at points. Even against groups of regular enemies there are more powerful variants than can pack a punch if you're not careful so you can't just mindlessly punch around, and the numerous boss fights demand your attention & on more than one occasion I had to abandon the story for a bit to grind up in the Infinity Trials when I was stuck on a boss.
  • Between fights with large groups of enemies, platforming/chase segments, light puzzle elements, and the numerous boss encounters (many of which have a special gimmick, such as an early encounter where you have to solidify Sandman with rounds from a turret before you can hurt him), objectives are varied enough to keep the action from getting stale.
  • From levelling up individual characters, as well as their abilities, the party wide skill tree, and ISO-8 equipping (stat altering stones), there are lots of ways to power up your heroes. These elements are introduced one at a time though, so they're easy to take in. Good thing too, as you'll need to be conscious of all of them in the later game.
  • If there were any performance issues, I didn't notice them. Seemed to run great from my perspective.
  • I haven't explored these too deeply, but you have the quickfire challenge based missions of the Infinity Trials if you're really up for a challenge. They're usually remixed boss fights, though there are missions where you have to fight through waves of enemies with special rules in place as well.
  • It has an extensive concept art gallery, and I love features like that.

Neutral:

• There are tons of characters to play as (and many do have their own feel), however you're essentially stuck with a core group during a single playthrough as it's impossible to stay reasonably levelled otherwise.
  • I like the story well enough, and it has a neat twist at the end, but there are so many characters on offer that not many get much to say. There are even some (like lets say Ghost Rider) that I don't think get any airtime after the mission they're introduced in.
  • While I do like the cell shaded style that I think works well with the source material & think it has a good amount of environmental variety, it's definitely not one of Switch's prettier titles. I'd even say that Hyrule Warriors: DE & Fire Emblem Warriors (all developed by the same company, with lots of enemies on screen) look better.
  • It probably would be better playing it with others. I didn't have a particularly tough time playing it solo & enjoyed it (and I played on Mighty, so I didn't go the easiest route), but the ally AI tended to bum rush all the bosses, even the ones with a gimmick for you to exploit, which isn't ideal.

Negative:

• For whatever reason, whenever you're moving towards the camera your character stops running and only walks. Naturally, this is a bit unavoidable as you're often trying to run around combat arenas, so it's a bit annoying. Luckily you still jump, swing, and fly at full speed when moving towards the camera, so it quickly becomes second nature to do so if you need to move quickly in that direction.
  • The only alternate costumes to unlock are pallet swaps, and even then I think it's just one per character. Of course, I'm not expecting it to be on par with the bounty of options available in PS4's Spider-Man (which only has to focus on one character), but it would have been nice to have at least one or two real options per character.

Overall it's a pretty solid effort. It's not going to win any awards, and it's noticeably not even one of Nintendo's top tier efforts on the system, but if you enjoy beat 'em ups or the Marvel universe it's definitely worth a look.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Ralizah

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga

Platform: Playstation 2

Level of Completion: Fully beat the story, and have seen a decent amount of side-content. 55 hours total if you include the lost time from my corrupted save file.

What is it? An SMT spinoff developed for the PS2. Features the press-turn combat and demon encounters of mainline SMT, but the game itself is designed more like a linear, story-focused JRPG ala Final Fantasy.

In the apocalyptic world of The Junkyard, various tribes vie for dominion over eachother so that they can be granted access to Nirvana by the mysterious intelligence communicating from the Karma Temple at the center of The Junkyard. The tribes are cursed with a virus that transforms them into demons and trives to cannibalize one-another. The main tribe the player follows, The Embryon, eventually takes in a mysterious young woman named Sera, who possesses the mysterious ability to quell their demonic rage.

What I Liked:

Press-turn combat. The brilliant, strategic, Pokemon-esque combat system Atlus created for SMT: Nocturne returns almost unchanged for this spinoff, and it works as well as it ever has.
Fascinating themes and symbolism relating to Hinduism. While it's probably mostly window-dressing, ideas surrounding reincarnation, karmic imbalance, etc. weave their way into this narrative and add an interesting flavor to the proceedings.
Evocative setting. The world of The Junkyard is very cool: equal parts Silent Hill and what you might expect a big city to look like after a nuclear war, the setting does a great job of conveying a sense of despair that helps to explain why these characters want so desperately to leave this place. In many ways, it's reminiscent of depictions of Purgatory I've seen in popular fiction.
Elaborate dungeon design. Many of the dungeons in this game are particularly well-designed, with puzzles, secrets, complex designs with non-linear progression cycles that take the player out of their comfort zones and force them to explore and often engage in light mental gymnastics in order to proceed. They're also nicely varied, and you explore everything from the blasted remains of a seemingly ancient ruined cruise ship to labyrinthine waterways and illusory mansions.
Well-paced story. While the game is a bit on the short side for my liking, one thing I can't dock it for is the pacing of the story itself. This is one of the few JRPGs I've played that ticked along with a ruthless, mechanical potency from beginning to end. There are certainly spots where you can slow down and deviate a little bit from the main plot, especially right near the end, but the game never forces the player to slow down, and you're always doing something different.
Loads of side-content. While the majority of the game is strictly structured, a ton of side content opens up near the end, primarily taking the form of challenging optional bosses who you have to beat to obtain various items that unlock new mantras and/or improve your selection of equipment or available macca in the sequel. To be honest, if you include grinding to level up enough to beat all of these enemies, you could probably spend as much time doing this as you would completing the actual story content of the game.
Great voice acting for the PS2 era. While the voice acting is mainly found in cutscenes, the quality of the acting itself is surprisingly high, considering the generation this game released in (consider Tidus and his terrifying crow-like "laughing" scarred the minds of a generation of youths just three years prior).

Gorgeous presentation. In particular, the cutscenes in this game are frequently gorgeous, and look a far sight better than most of this title's peers in that generation.
Kazuma Kaneko's gorgeous art. This man appears to be the person most responsible for the singularly unique look of early-to-mid SMT, and his shadow looms large here as well. The creepy demon designs (although I'm not sure how I feel about one of the female party members having teeth for nipples and using those to eat her enemies in demon form; strikes me as a bit Devil-Man-ish) and eerie, doll-like people mix well with the bleak setting.

What I Didn't Like/Was Disappointed By:

Humor and ethnic stereotypes conflict with the vibe of the game. The game has a prominent funny streak throughout, which I'm usually a big fan of, but I feel like one series that usually does better to stick with a straight face is Shin Megami Tensei. In this case, it's a spinoff, but it still has a similarly uncompromising vibe. Now, don't get me wrong: Atlus games are never humorless, and the mainline SMT entries are filled with a lot of wry and black humor, but the comic relief here strays uncomfortably close to what I'd term "slapstick." On that note, I'm not sure how I feel about Cielo, the sole Jamaican-coded character, being the primary source of bumbling comic relief in this game. If Atlus wanted to make this game more light-hearted, I wouldn't mind terribly, the aesthetics have to match up. The goofy anime antics in SMT IV: Apocalypse were fine because all of the characters involved looked like young people you might find in a Persona game. Not true here, and the subject matter is a bit too grisly for it to jive well with the vibe.
The way you're depicted consuming your enemies is a bit of a cop-out. Now, look, I get it: no game that doesn't want to immediately be horrifying and alienating is going to feature anything close to an actual realistic depiction of someone eating another person. But... there is supposed to be a carnal and grisly element to the cannibalism element here, and turning enemies into balls of light that you absorb just doesn't do it for me. I will say, though, it is very creepy and very cool that the best way to prime your enemies for consumption is to terrify them first.
Lack of demon negotiation and fusion hurts the game, and the Mantra Grid isn't a great replacement. The conversations and bargaining with demons, fusions, gradual learning of new skills via careful combinations of demons, etc. are a huge part of SMT games, and, just as PS2-era Persona games suffered from a lack of these elements, so do these games. The replacement of these various complex systems with a skill grid where you grind and buy all of your skills with macca isn't nearly as satisfying or engaging.
Human form, and guns, are mostly pointless. Aside from having to take a turn to transform when enemies get the jump on you or de-transitioning to hunt Omoikane (more on that in a sec), there's almost no point to becoming human, and, as such, no reason to invest in bullets either. It's pointless. You ALWAYS want to fight in demon form. It's just needless fluff.
Omoikane. These enemies are needlessly annoying. They're sort of like the Wealth Hands from Persona 4, but INFINITELY more annoying because of how quickly they flee and how absurdly difficult it is to find a way to damage them before they do have a chance to flee. Until you get to the point, late, late game where you might actually stand a chance of killing one (if it doesn't IMMEDIATELY run off, which it usually does), they're just an obnoxious waste of time whenever you happen to encounter them.
Field Hunts. So, I made these way worse for myself than they needed to be, because I didn't realize until near the end of the game that they would reset automatically if you failed them, so I kept restarting my PS2 to try them over again (more on that in a moment). Even putting aside my own idiocy, though, these mini-games just suck. You're given a super strict time limit to run around a series of rooms and... slash at orbs with your arms. You almost never succeed at these the first time because you have almost no room for error, and the orbs appear in specific patterns every time. At the end of these, if you're fast enough, you can fight enemies that, when consumed, give you a time of macca and experience with which to level up your currently equipped mantra (the set of skills you're learning at a given time). But the activity itself is mind-numbing. There's no skill to it, it's just pure tedium.
Lack of a soft reset function/the ability to quit to the title screen. So, I obviously blame myself for making the field hunts worse than they needed to be, but, even if I hadn't done that, it was still annoying that, if I did something and wanted to quickly reset the game, I'd have to restart the console because Atlus didn't see fit to add something as basic and helpful as a "back to title screen" option to the menu in this game. What a weird oversight, and one that probably added up to me losing hours of my life waiting for the stupid PS2 to reboot back to the point where I could pick back up from my last save.
Side-content is unnecessarily hidden. While I dig all the optional content near the end of the game, I don't like how hard it is to even know it exists in the first place. I hope you like randomly trawling large dungeons you've already visited in the past for minor changes that'll lead you to new bosses, because that's the only way you're ever going to learn about their existence without just looking up the info online.
Towns are very streamlined. Without any real equipment or quests to speak of (outside of the forementioned endgame content), there's just not a lot to do in most of the game's towns and hub areas.
Aside from optional bosses, the game is excessively easy. Like, really, really easy. So easy, in fact, that Persona 5 on hard mode gave me a good deal more trouble than all but the hardest optional bosses in this game. Pretty much the only times I died was when the RNG of random battles decided I needed to be kicked in the stomach and a bunch of rando demons spammed Mudoon before I had a chance to react. Some of this might be down to how streamlined skill acquisition is in this game, combined with the ease of obtaining stat boosting items. But the bosses in these games just aren't ferocious at all.
Bland music. I do sort of like the random battle theme in this game (although not enough to keep listening to it when I'm grinding; I'll just mute the game and put on good music instead), but the majority of the music in this game is really bland guitar-based alternative rock. It's weird, because I usually love Meguro's soundtracks for these games.
Unnecessarily ambiguous ending. I have NO idea what happened at the end of the game. Some random evil lady shows up as the final boss. I easily defeat her. And suddenly The Junkyard is blowing up, and everyone is comically floating around. At the end, we see the main character trudge into what looks to be the wasteland of a city. Is that the Junkyard, or did DDS1 take place in something like The Matrix? The latter is my guess, because there's a lot of computery jargon thrown around in this game. The Junkyard is probably a digital world of some sort, and the visions characters keep having, and references to previous lives, are actually memories they're having of when they were living in the real world. So I'm guessing defeating the last boss crashes The Matrix and wakes up our intrepid heroes This is all pure stabbing at the darkness, because the game doesn't care to explain what's happening at the very end.

Conclusion: Wow, that's a lot of complaining! I did quite enjoy this game, though. If it seems like there was a lot more criticism than praise, it's because a lot of the praise-worthy stuff... there's just not a lot to say about it. And, as usual with me, most of the complaints are more nit-picky than stuff that actually ruins the experience. Digital Devil Saga is, ultimately, a compelling and very fun experience. One I'd gladly play again at some point in the future. I'll absolutely be playing the sequel sooner than later, as I want to find out what happened at the end of the game.

Verdict: 7.5/10

Misc: The world of DDS is apparently quite deep, and extends to various forms of media. Not only is there a direct continuation of the story in the form of a sequel, but there was also a five-novel series adaptation of the mythology, translated into English as "Quantum Devil Saga." These were written by author Yu Godai, who originally created the concept and story for these games but eventually withdrew from the role for health reasons and was replaced by someone else. She chose to adapt her original vision for the story into these novels instead. Only the first two novels have been published in English so far. I'm INCREDIBLY tempted to pick these up once I finish the sequel.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

CanisWolfred

@Ralizah I'm glad you liked the dungeon designs in DDS, because boy...it's gonna get a lot worse midway through the sequel, IIRC. Probably won't have to worry about it being too easy, though. They really turned it up a notch....or maybe they just turned up the encounter rate. Either way, it tends to be a game that tries people's patience, from what I've seen.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Heavyarms55

I just finished my first play through of Fire Emblem Three Houses. Fire Emblem is a series I have loved since I was a child and care dearly about. When it was announced for Switch it instantly jumped right to the top of the list for my most anticipated games on the console and in general. Despite common sense telling me not to let my hopes get too high, I expected good things for this title.

And I can comfortably say that it met and exceeded my expectations! FE3H is a superb entry to the series that draws from the best the series has to offer, as well as exploring new territory that, I admit, I wasn't entirely sold on when I saw the preview videos. While the school setting does get a little repetitive after a while, they did an excellent job of making everything meaningful. None of the side features are just fluff. The game also gives you a nearly unprecedented level of freedom in choosing how to play. Never before have you had so much control over your characters skills and abilities and that alone would provide tremendous replay value.

But add to the fact that there is not one but four complete stories in the game, right out of the box?! Almost any other studio would have treated them as DLC or expansions on their own, but here you get them right away. To be fair there is likely a lot of overlap in these runs, but with a single play through being 60-80 hours depending on how you play, you're getting an incredible value even if you only play it once.

Value certainly isn't everything, the quality of the game play is top tier Fire Emblem. The difficulty varies wildly between "normal casual" and "hard classic" and there are harder modes on the way as free updates. But personally I found "normal classic" to be just right, especially in the latter half of the game. The story is very solid. Lots of moral grey areas and things to make you question if you are fighting for the right cause. A very big improvement over past titles where you were obvious, unquestioned good guys fighting obvious unquestioned bad guys.

The only negative I have with the game are the some performance issues. While the battles themselves run buttery smooth most of the time, walking around the monastery something that, in my opinion, should have been the least demanding part of the game, has noticeable chugging almost any time you fast travel and often you visibly see NPCs and your characters popping in, even in docked mode. Also there are a few areas in the game with extremely basic looking textures that seem out of place. Most notably the merchant stands with fruit baskets that look more like it's a rocks with fruit painted badly on them.

None of these issues however ever effect the game play or detract from the story, so they are forgivable but keep me from giving the game a perfect score. I can easily say this game is my second favorite title on the Nintendo Switch and an easy 9/10.

I've happily dropped 85 hours into this game, and likely will drop another 200 before I am finished. Maybe more, depending on what the DLC contains.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me
Edelgard profile pic credit to the amazing: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

NintendoByNature

Final Fantasy Adventure via collection of mana on switch

So coming off of secret of mana not long ago, and nearly finishing it (made it to the final boss who i couldn't beat), I wanted to dive in and see how this game was as I heard its alot like a zelda game. Needless to say, it's almost exactly like a zelda game in most ways, Or at least like a 2d top down( think links awakening). Even the dungeon designs make you think you're playing a zelda game. If not for the hero not having a tunic or long hat, I would've been fooled.

The action was what you'd expect from a game boy game. But where a game like this shines is thru the boss fights, secrets, puzzles, and most importantly the story which was solid for a gameboy game.

The music was stellar, even for the hardware it was on. At some point, i thought I heard the same tunes from dungeons in zelda 1 which was odd , but cool.

I want to say, I didn't enjoy secret all that much, this game though blew away my expectations after secret fell flat for me. I wish secret was more like it's predecessor as I would've enjoyed it more. At some point, i want to try 3 thats also in the collection, but I'm sure it'll be like secret and not adventure.

Trials of mana remake has me hyped. Just not sure if i want to play the original or the remake first.

Going back to the task at hand, I'd give adventure a solid 8.5/10. Hit Every note right for me. The only minor set back is the typical gameboy 2 button system which can get tedious in a room filled of monsters who are vulnerable to different weapons. If you haven't tried it yet, its worth 10 or so hours i spent playing it, and for any zelda fan.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature Oh yeesh, the two button system brings back my one major complaint with Link's Awakening and both Oracle games. XD It's understandable due to the hardware limitations, but it really messed with the game's flow sometimes.

That said, you've made me more excited for when I do get my hands on the Mana Collection. I've never played any of them and seem to be in for a treat.

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx oh yea that's right . The physical is coming out soon( like any day now right?). You get used to the button system but it still can be a chore when you have to switch between multiple weapons in a dungeon room 2 or 3 times. Doesn't really hurt the overall enjoyment in my opinion. I'm curious to see how you like secret though. I wasn't fond of it personally but almost everyone seems to love it. So let me know when you play a good 10 hours or so of it. I think around hour 12 or 15 I started losing interest, but that's just me. which one are you playing first ?

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature I believe the physical collection is out August 27th, if memory serves. Only a few more days!

I'm not worried about the two button system killing my enjoyment, particularly as that's how the game was meant to be played. I intend to play them in order and likely will provide some feedback when I get around to them.

I COULD play Secret of Mana on my SNES Classic if I really wanted to, but I may as well wait. XD

Glitchling78

Game: Super Mario 2 (USA)
Platform: NES Online

As a kid there were certain books, tv shows & games I never finished and it always bugs me. I’ve recently decided to go back and finish them off. One of those was Mario 2, simply due to a lack of skill. I completed it last weekend but honestly, I still wouldn’t have finished it without the rewind feature.

Partially my issue with this game are the controls, specifically the throwing. I never feel confident where my thrown items/enemies will end up.
The other thing I struggled with are enemy placements. It often feels like cheap trolling from the developers to suddenly have enemies pop out of the ground or fly straight at you.

Perhaps I’m just not great at the game and that’s alright.

The reason this game stuck in my mind however is the world. Everything about it, the weird enemies (I’m a big fan of the masks that protect the keys), the unstructured levels feel unlike any other mario and the music is great. The vertical areas were always a favourite of mine since a lot of platformers around this time were horizontal.

It was great to finish it, even though it was in a very cheap way.

Glitchling78

RR529

Blaster Master Zero (Switch) - Retro stylized sci-fi "Metroidvania" from Inti Creates.

Pros:

• While it doesn't reinvent the wheel, the classic "Metroidvania" style gameplay loop is as satisfying as ever, and switching things up with the top down, on foot dungeons keeps things fresh.
  • While it does have elements that wouldn't have been possible on original hardware, it mostly captures the vibe of an NES game. I also want to point out one specific neat little graphical detail in the Ocean Area, where the background will get actively become darker, then completely black, when you're in deeper areas to simulate light becoming more scarce.

Neutral:

• There are tons of boss encounters, and while many are cool & unique (if mostly on the easier side), there are also quite a bit (usually 1 or 2 per area) that just consist of waves of a specific regular enemy.

Negative:

• There is one door in the final area that you can only access if you have some sort of radar turned on. Only problem is, you don't need it at any other point in the game (or rather, the game previously automatically turned it on during the few segments you needed it, then turns it off) so I had no idea it was something you could even toggle on or off manually, and ended up looking that part up.

Overall it was a fun time though, and worth the $10.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

PacMang

Walking Dead Final Season
Batman Enemy Within
Minecraft Story Season 2

PacMang

Ralizah

inFamous: First Light

Platform: Playstation 4

Level of Completion: Everything. Got the platinum trophy after three days of intensive play (7+ hours a day)

What is it?: The prequel to early PS4 title inFamous: Second Son. You play as a mutant(coughs excuse me... a "conduit") named Fetch who joins forces with a drug lord to help save her brother from the clutches of Russian mobsters.

What I Liked:

• So, the most immediate thing that comes to mind when talking about this game: the method of locomotion you'll be employing the majority of the time. Running around at supersonic speed is extremely fun, and, as you upgrade your abilities, you'll be flying through the streets, bounding off of rooftops, and generally treating the city of Seattle like your own personal playground very fun. This sort of seems like it would be a good model for a Sonic the Hedgehog game to follow, considering you collect items in your environment, pass through energy rings of sorts dotted throughout the city to boost your speed, and the momentum based movement and combat flows really well.
  • Combat involving your powers is decent fun, too. How could someone not like blasting bad guys with hand lasers, shooting energy missles to blow up cars, or using gravity manipulation to hold your enemies in the air while you run up to punch them?
  • The facial animations during cutscenes are legitimately stunning in terms of how authentically they convey real human emotion. There are games with more photorealistic characters, but I don't think I've ever seen quite so realistic a depiction of human emotion (behaviorally, that is) as I have in this game. When the main character cries, for example, her face scrunches, her mouth trembles, and it all adds up to the effect of feeling like you're watching a real person struggle with grief. I'm often critical of realistic visual design in video games, but it's used extremely effectively here.
  • So, this game can run at either an unlocked framerate or at a locked 30fps, depending on what you toggle in-game. I love that this is an option for those of us who don't appreciate varying framerates. The small moments when the game gets closer to 60fps are nice, but it's annoying that the framerate drops so obviously when anything happens and starts taxing the system. I say "locked 30fps," but it's not REALLY locked. When you're in one of those arenas and you're on higher wave levels (30+ especially get pretty crazy), you'll have dozens of enemies spawning and gunning for you at any one time. So, understandably, when 50 enemies are out in force at once, jumping around and shooting lasers and bullets at you constantly... this all starts to tax the PS4 a bit, and it starts dropping to the low 20s or even lower pretty frequently. Performance, overall, stays pretty glued to the target when you cap the framerate, though.
  • Environments are pretty awesome, too. I had to have spent a few minutes or so just watching the realistic way in which the rain hit the pavement around my character. Very cool.
  • The game does a good job of balancing the meat of the story, which are had in flashbacks the main character is having, with modern-day segments in a government training facility that act as tutorials of sorts for your various combat abilities.
  • Like Gravity Rush or Super Mario Odyssey, there are collectibles EVERYWHERE, are they're good to hunt down. Given that you use them to help upgrade your abilities, there's also good incentive to grab them early on.
  • At one point in the game's story mode, you have to hack into police drone feeds and figure out where they are by looking at the environments so you can destroy them. I really enjoyed this sort of light puzzle-solving gameplay.
  • What really elevates this game for me is the depth and challenging nature of its arena challenges, which see you facing off against increasingly huge waves of difficult foes in giant artificial environments. These allow you to fully explore the nuances of the game's cool traversal mechanics and combat system, which, unfortunately, just isn't possible in the fairly basic campaign mode.
  • Arena battles also have better enemy diversity. You're stuck with fairly basic human enemies in the story, whereas you get to fight drones and, for some reason, projections of various types of demons (when you're bouncing around shooting demons in the face and doing melee takedowns left and right, it starts to feel a bit like a weirdly bloodless third-person take on DOOM)

What I Didn't Like/Was Disappointed By:

• While the presentation is great in some ways, it misses the mark in others. For example, Fetch frequently calls people on her phone, but the character model never actually takes out a phone and holds it up to her ear. It's weirdly lazy.
  • As pretty as the world is, and as fun as it is dashing around it like The Flash... it's a very empty world as well. There's little interactivity with the environment to be had. Nothing to find outside of little red orbs everywhere and races where you chase something called lumens (they're like sentient balls of gas) around the city in an effort to catch them. Beyond those, and some random encounter types that are needed for achievements, it really doesn't feel like a living world. It's lacking even a rudimentary system where mass destruction attracts the attention of authorities, for example, despite the game telling you that the government is tracking down Conduits so ruthlessly that the main character didn't even use her powers for years on end. You can run around Seattle blowing up cars and killing people willy-nilly, but the only thing that attracts attention is when you actually start messing with soldiers. There's no escalation to conflicts even in scenarios like this: you kill a vehicle full of soldiers and... that's it until you happen across the next one.
  • The story missions in the main story mode are pretty shallow and forgettable. There's a very low level of difficulty, and they mainly encompass escort missions of sorts that you can find in many other open world titles.
  • The writing frequently falls flat for me. The villain is a boring stereotype, and there's not really a compelling emotional arc regarding the main character. Nobody really shines in this game.
  • I know I praised the arena mode, but we have to have a talk about some of the challenges you have to complete to 100% the game. Now, some of them are great and make perfect sense, such as scoring a certain number of points in each arena, or surviving a certain number of enemy waves. Others are... grindier than I like, but once you know what to look out for, they're mostly OK, and accumulate over time anyway, like the challenges that ask you to kill a certain number of enemies. But there are some trophies here that just... don't work right. Or the requirements for them are weirdly specific in ways that the game doesn't tell you. For example, the one where you have to kill a certain number of airborn enemies whilst in the air as well. Well, I probably sniped hundreds of flying demons over the course of my time with the game, but that counter kept failing to tick up. Apparently it ticks up if you use your power to make a landlocked enemy float in the air, jump, and then shoot him while airborne, though. But it doesn't count if you hit their weak spot and you've already grabbed the perk that brainwashes them for a time when you hit their weak spot, because they're not technically dead yet. So I kept having to stasis them, jump up, use my focus to slow time, and then desperately unload tons of lasers into the rest of their body in a big to kill them before the stasis I gave up or I landed from my jump. And then you have the one that wants you to blow enemies off of platforms... except this doesn't work with melee attacks, and stasis just makes them float in the air, so my only real hope was missiles. But... well... missiles generally latch onto and kill my targets, so that wasn't going to work. I had to exploit a glitch in the store mode where baddies in drive-by encounters would be slightly tossed away from their car when I stasised their vehicles, which would make the counter tick up each time. The cars seem to show up randomly, though, so I spent a good hour or so randomly wandering the map looking for more drive-by encounters so I could clear this achievement. There were a number of other annoying, somewhat glitchy, poorly-designed achievements, but these were the most annoying.
  • I eventually adjusted to letting the game auto-adjust the camera as I dashed, but I never liked it. I want control of the camera, and having it mapped to O makes it impossible to control the camera and dash at the same time unless you pull off some extremely uncomfortable contortions with your hand (I did, initially). Not a huge problem when you're just running forward, but I HATE rounding corners without being able to adjust the camera to see where I'm going. Again, the camera adjusts for you, but I don't like it.
  • Actually, a lack of any sort of button remapping is a sore spot in this release in general.

Conclusion: While the game undermines itself somewhat with a lack of polish in mission structure, writing, and many of the challenges in the arena mode, the core experience is quite fun, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an addicting little third-person open-world action game.

Verdict: 7/10

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

ScottNintendo

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu for the Switch, enjoyed it mostly from nostalgia.

SN

Heavyarms55

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet.

This is a game that caused a lot of nastiness when the review dropped on this site and I don't necessarily want to re-engage those arguments. Suffice to say though, I stand by my points I made there.

On topic, the game proved itself to be, much like the previous SAO: Hollow Realization, to be a good bit of fun! Also like its predecessor, if you already dislike SAO, it's not gonna change your mind. And if you know nothing about the series, why would you even be considering jumping in to the third game right off the bat? Yes, you really should have played the previous games first. Though it will briefly summarize events in the beginning, so you wouldn't be totally lost.

It's very much "the next game" in the series and very much meant for people who at least mildly enjoy Sword Art Online and played the previous game. But I can comfortably say if you are one of those people, you'll enjoy this game.

-The character creator is even more in-depth than the last game and actually allows you to create your own Avatar character this time(as opposed to modifying Kirito), and you get to fully customize your partner character/android too.

-The game play is run and gun 3rd person shooter fare. It's fun but doesn't do anything new but does what it does well. Dodge enemy fire and move around while trying to focus on enemy weak points to deal the most damage. Level up your character to be able to wield better weapons and generally buff your stats.
-The story continues building the world of SAO and progressing those usual SAO themes of virtual reality and fully sentient A.I. But it's clearly one major chapter of a larger story too. It resolves the game's own plotlines, but this isn't the end of SAO's wider story, either in the game version of the story or the anime. And it's nice that the games roughly follow the anime, but do a lot of things different too. Thus you aren't just playing through a copy of the anime.

The game runs almost flawlessly on Switch. With only some minor slowdown when running across a some of the huge areas at max speed as sometimes a bunch of enemies load in at once. And this only seemed to happen in portable mode. It was never enough to cause problems with the game though, as in the second or two it took for you to start fighting, the slowdown would be resolved.

The game however is much uglier than its predecessor. Just because of the setting. This VR world is post apocalypse or some such, post disaster thing. Everything is ruins, desert or generic grays and silvers of abandoned military bases. It just doesn't have the variety the previous game had as a result. Although the entirely optional final region is a welcome change. I think that region was DLC in the PS4 release.

All in all, I'd give it a solid 7/10. It delivers a fun anime inspired experience for fans of the show with a likable cast, mildly interesting story and solid, if uninspired, gameplay. Just give it a pass if you have no interest in SAO.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me
Edelgard profile pic credit to the amazing: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

Tyranexx

SteamWorld Heist (Wii U)

This was definitely a fun little tactical turn-based gem. I still stand by my opinion in that I like SteamWorld Dig more (haven't played the second game yet), but this one is a worthy contender.

Positives

• Once I adapted, the shooting mechanics were pretty solid. Timing a shot just...right...to crit and destroy an opponent is very satisfying.
  • Many of the weapons and other items were useful and fun to experiment with. It was neat to tailor the uses of certain items to different characters with abilities that would help them out.
  • The recruitable characters, on the whole, were somewhat fleshed out and had interesting conversations. My favorites were definitely Piper, Fen, Wonky, SeaBrass/Gabriel, Ivanski, and Sally.
  • I liked how new segments of the game were introduced in muted cutscenes that brought early 20th century video reels to mind.
  • A lot of the levels were fun to play through, though I think the procedural generation did a few odd things at times. I admittedly haven't played many games that use it.
  • A lot of the tunes in this game were catchy and entertaining.
  • I definitely appreciated some RL references! Such as the rare The Killing Joke weapon; that thing was useful.

Neutral

• Call me a barbarian if you want, but I didn't really see the point of collecting any of the hats other than "just because". I would have liked to see them confer any benefits to their wearers. (It's very possible that some do and I just didn't obtain them.)
  • This could very well be the difficulty setting I was playing on, but the enemy AI outside of boss fights wasn't always the best.
  • While the boss fights themselves were enjoyable for the most part, I actually found Vectron easier to defeat than the Queen. I do admit that this could partially be due to having better/more higher-leveled characters for that fight.

Nitpicks

• This game felt a bit short. There's a New Game+ that's unlocked after completing the main game, but it doesn't add much (from what I've read).
  • The story wasn't bad, but I found it kind of predictable. Some of the backstory in the crew's conversations was pretty interesting however.

I definitely recommend this game to anyone who likes turn-based strategy games and wants to try something a bit different. I'd definitely try a sequel (which is hinted at) when/if it rolls around.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic